Ughhh upside down... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ughhh upside down...

Okay guys....you know my dang louvers are on upside down. I need to switch them. What's the best way to take them off and are they..."reusable" for lack of a better word... Also where can I order more 3M tape to reinstall them...?!? I know it was on here somewhere how to remove it but I can't find it...
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Ughhh upside down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpow24 View Post
Okay guys....you know my dang louvers are on upside down. I need to switch them. What's the best way to take them off and are they..."reusable" for lack of a better word... Also where can I order more 3M tape to reinstall them...?!? I know it was on here somewhere how to remove it but I can't find it...
i don't know about reusable, but i know that you can use a heat gun to loosen up the adhesive. i've heard of people using dental floss on things like that, but you'll end up damaging your car.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

i don't know about reusable, but i know that you can use a heat gun to loosen up the adhesive. i've heard of people using dental floss on things like that, but you'll end up damaging your car.
I don't want to damage my car that's why I have been apprehensive about taking them off but it's annoying the ***** out of me. *grrrrrr*
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Use fishing line to take them off. Then get some 3m double sided tape from a hardware store.
Saucywalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucywalnuts
Use fishing line to take them off. Then get some 3m double sided tape from a hardware store.
Will the fishing line damage my car?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
As long as you don't scrape it against the paint I think it should be fine.
Saucywalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucywalnuts
As long as you don't scrape it against the paint I think it should be fine.
Lmao. Oh yeah cuz I'd do that intentionally! Haha I'm nervous about this whole fishing line technique.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Use fishing line and pull up toward the scoop as you work it. It'll keep it away from your cars paint. That or use a heat gun and you start pulling it off. The heat gun and some goo gone will be invaluable for removal of the adhesive.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

1. Heat it up
2. Use fish line (I like spider line bc it's stronger so you can get thinner ones..)
3. Use a sawing motion, if you're unsure about your precision pull towards you a little while doing this so it's not against the paint and leaves a little bit more residue
4. then you can use WD40 or goo-gone. saturate a towel and hold against adhesive. I would recommend goo gone bc wd 40 may damage paint if you're not careful
5. clay/polish
6. done!
w4fang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Use fishing line and pull up toward the scoop as you work it. It'll keep it away from your cars paint. That or use a heat gun and you start pulling it off. The heat gun and some goo gone will be invaluable for removal of the adhesive.
Please remember that I'm in a foreign country! While I'm sure they have heat guns as to where the eff I would I woul find one is beyond me!! You think my blow dryer would work?!? Hahah but seriously.... Lol
Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Blow dryer should do the trick..
w4fang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4fang22
Blow dryer should do the trick..
I'll have to try to it! Thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

A blow dryer will work fine Ash. "Don't use 2000lb test fishing line"lol I've used this method before. Take your time and you'll be fine.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

The blow dryer would work just fine, just might take a little more time. Be patient and let louver come off on it's own just using little force. Goo gone the area and rub out any left over adhesive and do the same on the louver too. I personally wouldn't use the fishing line or a scraper, just take my time, use heat and rub out the remainder of the adhesive. I used the 3m double sided auto tape before that it's very simple and effective to use.

Just make sure you put them on the right way this time heheh

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

u can get the double stick tape off of ebay. automotive grade 3m is what you want. hey if ya cant find it i could send you some to an apo if u want to reimburse for the costs. lmk.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpow24
Hey I'd you use different 3m tape than what came with it? If so what did you use? Cause it sounds like its sticking on there pretty good haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I use w d 40 to take off 3m tape just soak the area, let sit for a little bit pull off.
13Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Heat gun is always the way to make things easier. I work in electonics and we use heatguns for many tasks, look for an electronics hobby shop..some of the best precision tools i use are made in germany! A heat gun will come with special tips so you can point your heat into a specific spot.

Glad you are fixing the mistake...next time install them yourself!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
Heat gun is always the way to make things easier. I work in electonics and we use heatguns for many tasks, look for an electronics hobby shop..some of the best precision tools i use are made in germany! A heat gun will come with special tips so you can point your heat into a specific spot.

Glad you are fixing the mistake...next time install them yourself!
Well I found someone with a heat gun today and we worked on it. Took about an hour to get one off and the dang tape removed! But the louver is salvageable!

Just needed to be careful with the heat gun be quick with it because if not it'll ruin the paint on the lovers. And instead of fishing line I used floss and it worked well and no damage to my car!! We ran out of daylight so tomorrow we will remove the other one but thanks everyone for the help! I'll be sure to put these on my self next go round!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-284690864.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	64145   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3349537898.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	64146  

Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Use some painters tape on the car around the louver you won't have to worry about messing up the paint when using the fishing line or in your case dental floss. I wouldn't even worry about the heat gun until you get the louver off with the floss. Since the louver 3m tape is on the window and not the car you should be okay to use a small razor rather than the heat gun...just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Glad it worked for you Ash! Gotta keep Roxie looking pretty.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
You better paint hose lovers pink before putting them on!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
You better paint hose lovers pink before putting them on!
yeah if you painted the edge of each scoop with a little bit of pink itd be bad ***!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpow24

Will the fishing line damage my car?
No the paint should not get damaged. To damage the paint you would have to rub threw the clear coat. If you do scratch it. A little wet sanding and buffing will clean up any blemishes. Go to an automotive store for auto grade 3M tape. Personally I would take it to a body shop and have them remove and reinstalled.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang