Tuned automatic vs manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Tuned automatic vs manual

If you tune an auto how much closer is it to being as good as a manual as far as speed goes ?
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Tuned automatic vs manual

it's better. that's why most drag racers use auto trannys
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, stock for stock, the auto shifts faster then the manual. No matter how good the driver mod is.

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Manual is still more fun imo.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Yeah, stock for stock, the auto shifts faster then the manual. No matter how good the driver mod is.

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Manual is still more fun imo.
true that.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Used to, manuals had an advantage in ratios. 3spd vs 5/6spd and it kept them in the powerband better unless you had a huge output engine that would eat up the gearing fast with crazy acceleration (helloooooo powerglide). Also, manuals had always been more efficient with less drivetrain loss because the engine is joined to the transmission physically and not through fluid viscosity.

The first point mentioned is now defunct, since they are both 6 speeds. The drivetrain loss is changing and these new transmissions are a let better at transferring the power. You can still launch a manual better with slicks until you get a high stall convertor, but that means worse mpg on the street. The manual gets the same mpg regardless, just launches harder for the strip.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Road Trip!

As for the MPG the auto will only do better on the highway... Because in a manual you can work the tranny big time... Most rural & back road speed limits are about 40MPH and the manual at 40 in sixth gear is running at 1000rpm around 800/900 the motor will start to lug... 1000rpm in sixth is to slow for the auto it will never let the motor run that low of an rpm... Lower rpm equals better gas mileage... Besides do you want to truly drive your car or just sit there with your hands on the stealing wheel? The only down fall with the manual is the cup holders anything taller than a 12 oz. can of soda and you arm will hit your drink... Buy the manual and learn to power shift you will see power shifting will be just as fast as a tuned auto.

Warning: just make damn sure you do not miss a shift while power shifting!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
As for the MPG the auto will only do better on the highway... Because in a manual you can work the tranny big time... Most rural & back road speed limits are about 40MPH and the manual at 40 in sixth gear is running at 1000rpm around 800/900 the motor will start to lug... 1000rpm in sixth is to slow for the auto it will never let the motor run that low of an rpm... Lower rpm equals better gas mileage... Besides do you want to truly drive your car or just sit there with your hands on the stealing wheel? The only down fall with the manual is the cup holders anything taller than a 12 oz. can of soda and you arm will hit your drink... Buy the manual and learn to power shift you will see power shifting will be just as fast as a tuned auto.

Warning: just make damn sure you do not miss a shift while power shifting!!!
Autos have TCC lock up too,,thats why you can get better gas mileage
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Most cars run better mpg right around 2K RPM anyway. And the autos have smaller width tires now that are the energy saver Michie's too right? Automatics have come a long way in the last decade.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
Most cars run better mpg right around 2K RPM anyway. And the autos have smaller width tires now that are the energy saver Michie's too right? Automatics have come a long way in the last decade.
Or the defender tire since it has lesser resistance. With 2.73 gears at 2k rpm mine gets the best. But that's with shifting at 2k as well. (auto)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Jesus christ guys these are MUSTANGS where supposed to be talking mashing the clutch and burning rubber, not automatic shifting and gas mileage!!!!

LOL jk...speaking of tires...did you guys know the "hot" new Scion FRS has the exact same tires as the prius......................
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
Jesus christ guys these are MUSTANGS where supposed to be talking mashing the clutch and burning rubber, not automatic shifting and gas mileage!!!!

LOL jk...speaking of tires...did you guys know the "hot" new Scion FRS has the exact same tires as the prius......................
And a boxer engine and oh it's a dressed up Toyota! At least it's rwd.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
And a boxer engine and oh it's a dressed up Toyota! At least it's rwd.
I was considering ordering one of the first ones when the concept photos were out, but then the production version pics came out and i was like blah. its so tiny too. Nice ride dont get me wrong but theyre asking 26k starting here in canada....thats mustang v6 premium money here
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

I was considering ordering one of the first ones when the concept photos were out, but then the production version pics came out and i was like blah. its so tiny too. Nice ride dont get me wrong but theyre asking 26k starting here in canada....thats mustang v6 premium money here
Exactly. But IMO I miss the smaller bodies 99-04 model mustangs. If they could shave a few hundred pounds that would be nice. Then again...that is the idea of the boss lol
Old 08-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I can't believe they only put 200hp in that car. For the money, it should have been 250hp starting out, 300hp for the "STi" version or whatever Scion would call theirs.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I was disappointed with the brz/frs. I was hoping for more power. I want to test drive one because everyone talks about the amazing handling which would be great if it had a bit more power. I was considering one last winter before getting my stang but after hearing the rumors of the only 200hp engine I shrugged it off. I think it'd make a great daily driver though!

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Exactly. But IMO I miss the smaller bodies 99-04 model mustangs. If they could shave a few hundred pounds that would be nice. Then again...that is the idea of the boss lol
Yes, 99-04's were the best imo. Love the new edge stangs!
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yeah. From the commercials you would thinks it's the second comming of the Supra but no, 200 horse it's the latest ricer with lame power out of a tiny engine
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #17

Region: Illinois
I just bought my '12 v6 with a manual in early july, test drove a lot of cars. Wish I could of tried the frs just to see how it drove. But I absolutely LOVE my mustang just drove it to Chicago from Quincy IL (just over 300 miles), amazing drive, and averaged 33mpg! Super impressed with the car, looking forward to throwing on some after market parts.
rms_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post

Here we go again...

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms_88 View Post
I just bought my '12 v6 with a manual in early july, test drove a lot of cars. Wish I could of tried the frs just to see how it drove. But I absolutely LOVE my mustang just drove it to Chicago from Quincy IL (just over 300 miles), amazing drive, and averaged 33mpg! Super impressed with the car, looking forward to throwing on some after market parts.
Another Chicago Mustang! Chi-town put it down FTW!

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
Yeah. From the commercials you would thinks it's the second comming of the Supra but no, 200 horse it's the latest ricer with lame power out of a tiny engine
Ironically I test drove the FRS (In manual! OMG! A AUTO DRIVER WHO KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE STICK! NO WAY! ) later last week just to see how they were and was slightly dissapointed. The take off power in the car is not to bad and was quite a smooth ride going around comers and such. Defiantly was not impressed for the 28k price tag that was on it. For about the same price, if not lower, I could get a 2011 5.0. I do have a feeling these cars are going to be quite popular...

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I consider them mini-350z cars. The styling is very similar as is the shape.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I disagree,,when they came out with the 05 thats when i fell in love with the mustang again,,they maybe heavier,,but i love how wide they look,,i think ford coulda added more stock features though,,like factory headers,and for the auto they could have at least made the manual range lock between gears,,when your up shift it doesnt lock between upshifts..
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

I disagree,,when they came out with the 05 thats when i fell in love with the mustang again,,they maybe heavier,,but i love how wide they look,,i think ford coulda added more stock features though,,like factory headers,and for the auto they could have at least made the manual range lock between gears,,when your up shift it doesnt lock between upshifts..
I liked the 05. I was going to buy an 06 or 09 GT. but I waited on the 2011 with the new engine. My first mustang was an 02. Maybe that's why I love that body style. Yeah it was slow but hey, it made me an enthusiast to this day. The headers is where the GT got its power I think. They were massive in the 05-09
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I loved the new edge, I loved the '05s when they debuted (I'm a huge musclecar fan, so I like the Challenger too), but when the '10s debuted I was crazy over everything but the rear. '13s fixed the rear, so here I am.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
I loved the new edge, I loved the '05s when they debuted (I'm a huge musclecar fan, so I like the Challenger too), but when the '10s debuted I was crazy over everything but the rear. '13s fixed the rear, so here I am.
The tail lights on the ten made it ok for me and a black out panel. But the auto in my 11 is better than any auto I've ever driven. It's just sluggish in 1-2 from a rolling stop.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

The tail lights on the ten made it ok for me and a black out panel. But the auto in my 11 is better than any auto I've ever driven. It's just sluggish in 1-2 from a rolling stop.
I have an 11 auto as well... The throttle response / delayed downshifts at low to medium speed really bothered me. I got a tune that I then had adjusted to keep me in a lower gear or downshift rapidly when accelerating (not just WOT). Made the auto really... Really fun. Great at the strip. Driveable for DD.

Do you have a tune? Of so, they can do something similar.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy

I have an 11 auto as well... The throttle response / delayed downshifts at low to medium speed really bothered me. I got a tune that I then had adjusted to keep me in a lower gear or downshift rapidly when accelerating (not just WOT). Made the auto really... Really fun. Great at the strip. Driveable for DD.

Do you have a tune? Of so, they can do something similar.
I just want the thing to go when I press the throttle. Where it be babying it or givin it hell. It's a sports car. It needs to show its muscle, not lag in shifts as the Camry passes you laughing theirs butts off.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I liked the 05. I was going to buy an 06 or 09 GT. but I waited on the 2011 with the new engine. My first mustang was an 02. Maybe that's why I love that body style. Yeah it was slow but hey, it made me an enthusiast to this day. The headers is where the GT got its power I think. They were massive in the 05-09
I agree i love that 5.0,,but ill keep my 06..I can put enough add ons to bring me up to par on power..i just like the look of mine..
Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The transmission control on the autos were just poorly designed by Ford in an effort to get good gas mileage. It should have been a typical check between speed, gear, and throttle position to judge how to downshift and upshift. 100% throttle? Downshift to lowest gear for best power band for that speed, and hop to it. 75% throttle? Drop gears to achieve 4k rpm and go. Well, you get the picture. It's how most electronic autos are controlled, works fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang