My First Modification - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Region: Asia
My First Modification

Hello guys, I am totally new to modification. I would like to start by increasing the sound of my v6 2012 mustang - that deep rumble of you know what I mean. I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

if*
Bassel Kharsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: My First Modification

I would look on you tube, there are so many options and so many different opinions, I would go straight to you tube and come up with my own opinion!
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross
I would look on you tube, there are so many options and so many different opinions, I would go straight to you tube and come up with my own opinion!
I have seen tons of videos but I do not know the full set up. Can you list the parts I need and I'll do the research on which company I am going to buy them from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassel Kharsa

I have seen tons of videos but I do not know the full set up. Can you list the parts I need and I'll do the research on which company I am going to buy them from.
Wait for the bassani full system start with the axle backs that's your best bet!! They'll be coming out with the full exhaust to add to the axlebacks soon!!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

as stated above youtube. personally i think the american thunder series by flowmaster have the nicest low rumble that reminds me of a v8 but it isnt much really much louder than stock from what others have said and also is not as loud as other axlebacks. I also like some of the magnaflows. If you are looking for loud than Roush and Borla Atak are very popular choices, not for me though... Choose wisely though as many make the car sound like an import. My opinion of course... I am in the same boat as you and have chosen to wait to here some more exhausts in person rather than youtube.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

If you want mufflers that will not be too loud the Magnaflow streets are really good. A little costly but the quality and fit are just plain excellent. They are Stainless steel and have very nice tips with the word "MAGNAFLOW" on the sides.

They have a nice deep sound and really come alive if you are accelerating but nice and quiet while driving at a normal speed. At 75/85 mph going down the interstate you can tune your ears to hear the nice sound they put out but they are not annoying. They just sound good and let you know you are in a Mustang.

If you want noise all of the time these are not the mufflers you would want.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Thank you guy for the quick answers. What do you think about Borla Ataks?

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

And what do I add in other than mufflers?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Hi members of ME! I'm new to the forum. today I just bought my first new car, the 2013 mustang V6. I got the performance package, and the recaro seats. got a pretty good deal, just about invoice price, and they threw in some extras. I've got to be honest, I was hesitant to get a mustang cause I've had such sentiment towards the WRX (yeah, i mentioned it here ) But when am I ever going to get a chance to own a sports car, 300+ hp, and get near 30 mpg. Aaaand look bad *** in black on black, i might add. I'm super excited to get this car. I am worried though about the non-leather steering wheel...maybe I can replace that, what do you guys think? Maybe I can install the leather one to hook up to the radio for control?

Anyway, ill be looking forward to putting in some minor mods to customize, so i'll be checkin in on this post quite often. Hello again, fellow mustang owners
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Have you not gotten into your '13 yet? All models come with a leather steering wheel standard, with basic radio controls. There is a fancier steering wheel with suede grips used in the Boss/Shelby models, but I'm really happy with the stock one.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

+1 Sanguin.
the suede wouldnt hold up with me...hands sweat too much....harder to clean and protect unlike the leather.
Even if I could afford a Boss id get a steering wheel cover.

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassel Kharsa
Hello guys, I am totally new to modification. I would like to start by increasing the sound of my v6 2012 mustang - that deep rumble of you know what I mean. I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

if*
Welcome! As the others said, youtube. Everyone has different taste. You could also upgrade your mid-pipe and/or headers.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg
Hi members of ME! I'm new to the forum. today I just bought my first new car, the 2013 mustang V6. I got the performance package, and the recaro seats. got a pretty good deal, just about invoice price, and they threw in some extras. I've got to be honest, I was hesitant to get a mustang cause I've had such sentiment towards the WRX (yeah, i mentioned it here ) But when am I ever going to get a chance to own a sports car, 300+ hp, and get near 30 mpg. Aaaand look bad *** in black on black, i might add. I'm super excited to get this car. I am worried though about the non-leather steering wheel...maybe I can replace that, what do you guys think? Maybe I can install the leather one to hook up to the radio for control?

Anyway, ill be looking forward to putting in some minor mods to customize, so i'll be checkin in on this post quite often. Hello again, fellow mustang owners
Welcome to you as well. You used to have a WRX? I've always liked them but thought the mustang was better looking. Would love to have one as a DD though!
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well, i never owned a wrx. I just appreciate the functionality. AWD, 4 doors, visibility..but I agree, the stangs look way cooler.

I just saw in the tech package that they specified the leather wrapped steering wheel and assumed if you didn't get this package, it wouldn't come with it. i didn't want everything in tech package, so i didn't get it..and i could always buy the steering wheel for a couple hundred bucks instead of 1300 for the whole package. can you still control the audio w/ the steering wheel?

I ordered the car, should be here 6-8 weeks. wanted a car that hasn't been test driven.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you want mufflers that will not be too loud the Magnaflow streets are really good. A little costly but the quality and fit are just plain excellent. They are Stainless steel and have very nice tips with the word "MAGNAFLOW" on the sides.

They have a nice deep sound and really come alive if you are accelerating but nice and quiet while driving at a normal speed. At 75/85 mph going down the interstate you can tune your ears to hear the nice sound they put out but they are not annoying. They just sound good and let you know you are in a Mustang.

Ronnie
Those have really nice exhaust tips. too. The clips I have heard on youtube of these also sound very nice IMO. These are a bit more expensive than the flowmasters but the tips and can look a lot nicer too. Post some clips if you can. I am super interested in these.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg View Post
Well, i never owned a wrx. I just appreciate the functionality. AWD, 4 doors, visibility..but I agree, the stangs look way cooler.

I just saw in the tech package that they specified the leather wrapped steering wheel and assumed if you didn't get this package, it wouldn't come with it. i didn't want everything in tech package, so i didn't get it..and i could always buy the steering wheel for a couple hundred bucks instead of 1300 for the whole package. can you still control the audio w/ the steering wheel?

I ordered the car, should be here 6-8 weeks. wanted a car that hasn't been test driven.
Yep, it still has your cruise and audio control (volume, mode, channel/track) buttons. Mine is pure base The only paid option I have is the GHIG paint.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948

Ronnie
+1 on magnaflow flowmasters are known to produce drone, so I've heard.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Yep, it still has your cruise and audio control (volume, mode, channel/track) buttons. Mine is pure base The only paid option I have is the GHIG paint.
Nice! and thanks to you guys for the warm welcome. what do you think of the other mustang forums? like allfordsmustang or mustangforums?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

This forum is the nicest, only seen one ****** bag here. I prowl around on allfords a bit, but there are a lot more buttholes over there.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

hey, we are happy to have you here sanguin....
We're a bunch of motorheads...no matter what year, what engine....we share a common bond........
Still waiting to see what else you have up your sleave after that cool intake idea...

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
This forum is the nicest, only seen one ****** bag here. I prowl around on allfords a bit, but there are a lot more buttholes over there.
I know who the D Bag is.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom View Post
hey, we are happy to have you here sanguin....
We're a bunch of motorheads...no matter what year, what engine....we share a common bond........
Still waiting to see what else you have up your sleave after that cool intake idea...
Oh believe me... I've got a lot of things planned, I've just been too busy with life or short on money or sunny days to proceed with anything.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin

Oh believe me... I've got a lot of things planned, I've just been too busy with life or short on money or sunny days to proceed with anything.
Haha yeah I feel your pain. I used to work 3 jobs I'm down to two currently. And I'm a student.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I like the magnaflow street as in the title it says it's for the 2013 v6:

, but when looking at AM, they only have it for 11-12 v6
Magnaflow Street Mustang Axleback Exhaust (2011-2012 V6) 15595 - Free Shipping!

which one is for the 2013 v6?

Also, with respect to the 2013 v6, what horsepower gains do you get if you change the tubing as well, or if you just change the muffler...specifically the mangaflow street? will this muffler work with the stock tubing? is the v6 2013s exhaust restrictive that it needs a catback exhaust replacement or will axelback do? how's the tubing on the v6 2013's? better than the 12s or 11s? the same? is it bigger to allow for less restriction? Can a newbie like me do it with basic hand tools. looks like there's welding if you replace the tubing?

any suggestions for a cai/tune as well? deal on AM, $265 for AFE CAI. need a tune, right? no idea what i'm doing here..lol
i know...a lot of questions. thanks in advance
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm almost positive that the 2013 & 2012 are the same. My box was marked for 2011 and they fit perfect on my 2012

The most difficult part of changing the mufflers is cutting the weld tact that Ford has on the stock mufflers. A drimmel cutting tool works fine for this. You do not have to weld the new mufflers back on. The clamp will do fine.

I just replaced the mufflers (Axleback only) and I'm very happy with the sound and looks of these Magnaflow streets. Plus they fit perfect right out of the box.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'm personally choosing to go with the magnaflow streets, that's way I can get the sound I want and keep it subtle for the neighbors.
Insane4Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane4Mustang
I'm personally choosing to go with the magnaflow streets, that's way I can get the sound I want and keep it subtle for the neighbors.
I did the same. I liked the sound alot and the fact that it was quiet until you punched it. They were expensive and that's the only downside I have about them. Part of me thought about the completion series as they are louder and cheaper but i decided against them.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #26

Thank you guys for all the answers. I did some research and will be getting the Borla Atak cat backs. I am going to add CAI and going to tune it. What do you guys think of off-road H pipes? Do I need to add anything other than the cat backs and H pipe to the exhaust system?

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Oh, and also will be adding a turbocharger in about a year. Will all mods be usable with the turbocharger?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think you got it all covered. What tune are you going to be getting? If you use the Bama tune from American Muscle you list exactly what you have done to your car on their check list and they usually get it right the first time. Then when you get your Turbo you just call them and tell them that you installed a turbo and they will program a proper tune for adding that item.

The Bama tune seems to be the best when you are doing things on an ongoing bases because they are always willing to give you the update at no charge.
Ronnie
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #28

Thank you guys, that is all I needed to know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang