2013 Projectors w/led bars - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2013 Projectors w/led bars

So I love the new L.E.D. Projection Headlights that come on some of the 2013 mustangs. Does anyone know if we can retro fit and wire a set of these into a 2011?
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: 2013 Projectors w/led bars

I don't see why you can't... All 2013s come with them. The LED strips have a park/DRL type feature. They're always on when the car is and they come on when the park lights are on too. The DRL part would be the hardest. Just need to wire it into an 12v source that comes on when the ignition is in the on position. Otherwise do a relay tap into the park light. That way when your park lights come on as you exit or flash with the alarm, they will too.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I want em I want em I want em I want em !!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if they fit differently due to the different grille? I got the 2012 oem hids since i knew the 13s were coming with them standard. Im sort of iffy on led daytime running lights on cars besides audi/porsche....the chrysler 200 made it super tacky. Ford made it pretty tasteful on the 13s though.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
I don't see why you can't... All 2013s come with them. The LED strips have a park/DRL type feature. They're always on when the car is and they come on when the park lights are on too. The DRL part would be the hardest. Just need to wire it into an 12v source that comes on when the ignition is in the on position. Otherwise do a relay tap into the park light. That way when your park lights come on as you exit or flash with the alarm, they will too.
What if your car comes with drl?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I love the LEDs on the 13's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1164152570.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	64703  
Insane4Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know if they will fit 10-12?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone have any input on this?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't seen any definitive answers, but they look identical to the others housing wise. As for DRLs... depends on how they work. Some function off diode circuits and so on. I'd need a wiring diagram to tell you anything.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't seen any definitive answers, but they look identical to the others housing wise. As for DRLs... depends on how they work. Some function off diode circuits and so on. I'd need a wiring diagram to tell you anything.
There is no wire I believe.It's in the cars computer. Apparently I'm the only one in the world with these drls. I personally hate them. But for the 13 headlights it would be pretty cool I guess. That's the only gripe I have on the 13.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well, if it's like my Grand Prix, it has a separate circuit It uses the same wires to the bulb and what not, but gets its power a different way. On those cars you could pull the DRL module or the diode for the lights. Some people even rewired the circuits to the fog lamps. Anyway, I'd need a schematic.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, if it's like my Grand Prix, it has a separate circuit It uses the same wires to the bulb and what not, but gets its power a different way. On those cars you could pull the DRL module or the diode for the lights. Some people even rewired the circuits to the fog lamps. Anyway, I'd need a schematic.
If I can get you a wiring diagram then I can finally possibly figure out how to disable them and get the headlights I want I'll post it on this thread when I find it
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Service Manuals - Wiring Diagrams

not sure if its as simple as copy on paste on this forum since i mainly use my iphone app for it. but here is the wiring diagram.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ford just quoted me a price of $900 each for those headlights, ouch!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11
Ford just quoted me a price of $900 each for those headlights, ouch!
Raxiom off American muscle so I an get them smoked. 300 for those as a set with everything you need. Knowing ford its not the complete kit
Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just an fyi these are hid not halogen so if you dont have an hid system already youd need the ballasts too
Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Not a big fan of the Raxiom's but they look much better now.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Imo nothing looks hotter on red than tinted headlights...its just the perfect combo!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It would go good with my black and white paint scheme. Just the visibility is what I'm worried about. I don't want to buy them and then figure out that my halogens were brighter.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

White, those schematics have no mention of DRLs anywhere.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I found on an older thread when someone asked about them. We all then determined that it's in the computer and can't be taken out unless by a dealer and most dealers won't do it. But at the same time I've never seen a mustang since mine to have drls.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

DRLs are usually Canadian things. It's a law there and even '13s have real DRLs and not the LEDs.

I could still bypass it, but it would require rewiring the whole headlight setup...

Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
DRLs are usually Canadian things. It's a law there and even '13s have real DRLs and not the LEDs.

I could still bypass it, but it would require rewiring the whole headlight setup...
Not sure if it helps but my ride is canadian spec and has factory hid ('12) with manual transmission, when i disengage the parking brake only my fog lights come on so those are my drls. Every single 13 i see in daylight only has the leds on. Not sure if those are all auto and didnt notice if they had fogs or not but thats what ive noticed.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is just a premium so no fog lights. If it did I bet those would be my drl. My dad is an electrical engineer. And that is my major is studying. So this could kinda play into it. If there is a way to bypass it I'll do it. It's better than paying a dealer money at the hopes that they may do it or may not.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Mine is just a premium so no fog lights. If it did I bet those would be my drl. My dad is an electrical engineer. And that is my major is studying. So this could kinda play into it. If there is a way to bypass it I'll do it. It's better than paying a dealer money at the hopes that they may do it or may not.
haha im an electronics engineer what a coincidence!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

haha im an electronics engineer what a coincidence!
Grace my with your knowledge lol I don't actually gnaw away at the degree till January. But I'm close enough that I need to start understanding and applying. So why not to Bessy?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Grace my with your knowledge lol I don't actually gnaw away at the degree till January. But I'm close enough that I need to start understanding and applying. So why not to Bessy?
Im on a playbook and cant see the schematics for some reason but when i get s chance later ill have a look. Its probably something simple to do with the parking brake or in your case when the vehicle is in park, sometimes just tying one wire to ground solves it. Did this with aftermarket head units that have the lockout feature unless you are in park.

Regarding your degree, ohms law baby I = V/R it all starts from there and somehow you'll end up in an s-storm of calculus! Steady focus and practice and you will pull through, good luck!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

Im on a playbook and cant see the schematics for some reason but when i get s chance later ill have a look. Its probably something simple to do with the parking brake or in your case when the vehicle is in park, sometimes just tying one wire to ground solves it. Did this with aftermarket head units that have the lockout feature unless you are in park.

Regarding your degree, ohms law baby I = V/R it all starts from there and somehow you'll end up in an s-storm of calculus! Steady focus and practice and you will pull through, good luck!
The parking brake doesn't work. I tried it. Ohms as in like speaker ohms? Or am I just being stupid lol
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ohms is a measurement of resistance.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

lol no you are not being stupid its all relative.

I looked through the schematics, I cant find anything regarding a DRL, it looks like a non DRL setup? I may be missing it but I thumbed through. Like I said before my manual turns the DRL's on when I disengage the parking brake, but auto's are as soon as you get out of Park. I didnt see a schematic of the wiring around the shift lever but if we could have a peek at that I really thing we'd have an answer...then again cars are becoming so tricky nowadays that it possibly isn't that simple!

Im confused though why do you want to get rid of DRL? The LED bars ARE the DRL's here in canada. I like how my fogs come on and it really helps other drivers spot you in broad daylight. People are idiots out there.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
lol no you are not being stupid its all relative.

I looked through the schematics, I cant find anything regarding a DRL, it looks like a non DRL setup? I may be missing it but I thumbed through. Like I said before my manual turns the DRL's on when I disengage the parking brake, but auto's are as soon as you get out of Park. I didnt see a schematic of the wiring around the shift lever but if we could have a peek at that I really thing we'd have an answer...then again cars are becoming so tricky nowadays that it possibly isn't that simple!

Im confused though why do you want to get rid of DRL? The LED bars ARE the DRL's here in canada. I like how my fogs come on and it really helps other drivers spot you in broad daylight. People are idiots out there.
Lol... I already said the schematics didn't list any DRL circuit. You can make your own relay box to control the headlights by tapping into the switch harness and cutting the factory power to the lights. Anyway, it's a lot of work unless you absolutely need it. I'm no electrical engineer, but I've had to learn schematics and circuits out of necessity. I custom wired some things on my Grand Prix when doing the engine swap, along with fitting an electronic DIC versus the analog ones.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Lol... I already said the schematics didn't list any DRL circuit. You can make your own relay box to control the headlights by tapping into the switch harness and cutting the factory power to the lights. Anyway, it's a lot of work unless you absolutely need it. I'm no electrical engineer, but I've had to learn schematics and circuits out of necessity. I custom wired some things on my Grand Prix when doing the engine swap, along with fitting an electronic DIC versus the analog ones.
Ah! sorry I missed you mentioning that, woulda saved me a few mins. And You've got my respect already, and now I learn you are not afraid of circuitry its a +1

Does anybody have any info on what ford uses to add DRL? I have no interest in removing mine but now I'm curious as to how this setup works. This thread is completely off topic, i think...lol

yea....'13 headlights....woot woot
Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty damn sure it's programmed into that box the headlights run into. The schematics call it a "smart junction box." Sounds like a fancy name for a BCM (Body Control Module). If so, no way to directly modify it. Still, it would be nice to see something that mentioned the DRLs.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Isn't that the thing next to the fuse box under the hood? Or is that the PCM? I would prefer my drls gone so I can get an hid kit ( professional). I've seen in past threads that you have to go to the dealer to get them disabled. But why on earth is mine practically the only one in the states that has them? It reduces bulb life and as for styling looks tacky on a mustang. If they cant see a polished up white and black mustang then they don't need to be on the road. I'm fairly new to electrical on cars and such. The only true application is from working with my dad on housing electrical stuff. Anyway, would the problem lie in the shifter, PCM, fuse box like in the old days, or even the headlights themselves. It's tricky to pinpoint it.

Btw that link I posted had an auto headlight wire. It's purple and white if I remember. I have that wire. Does that have any correspondence to drl.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I believe the auto is for automatic lamp equipped cars, it seems like if there is a DRL then it will not allow all lights off anytime the car is driving, a non DRL car but equipped with autolamps will turn all lights off during the day.

DC that you find in cars is easier and safer to understand/work with than the AC you find in your house

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang