What would it take for a 2012 v6 to beat a 2009 v8 ? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d

The driveshaft isnt just about the mph curse of exploding... It is also about shedding a nice chunk of rotational mass. I did it in my old car and I will tell you that it made the engine rev up a hella lot quicker. I gained 3/10ths of a second in the 1/4 just on that mod alone. That is a huge gain!

Yes also do the safety loop! Play it safe.
I'm not trying to say it's not worth it. You'll definitely benefit from it. It's the next thing on my list as soon as my bonus gets in. But for me, other things took priority. Everyone has a different order of doing things. I decided on gears and control arms over it. Maybe someone else would do the DS first. I was actually hoping to get it on with the gears and arms at the same time but unfortunately, it didn't work as planned Soon I hope!
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: What would it take for a 2012 v6 to beat a 2009 v8 ?

I hear that loud and clear.

The driveshaft was actually my very last mod on the old car.

That said you need to unbolt the *** end of the driveshaft to do gears anyway so if and when I gear mine it is getting a driveshaft at the same time.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear that loud and clear.

The driveshaft was actually my very last mod on the old car.

That said you need to unbolt the *** end of the driveshaft to do gears anyway so if and when I gear mine it is getting a driveshaft at the same time.
That was my thinking as well, which is why I wanted it all done at once. I feel like ordering it right now tbh. Really wanted to wait for that bonus though :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Seems like long tube headers arent worth the investment unless the car is FI. I have seen some places sell a full length xpipe with no cats, I wonder if that with a tune would make a bigger difference from LTH with a shorty xpipe? I have seen more than one person say that we lose hp from lth mod. Anyone know about this?
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

You'll gain some hp with LT's but those gains will be up top. Will lose some down low where our cars are already hurting. Not worth it imo unless you're running FI or a high gear ratio. You'd be better off with just the mid-pipe imo. I think the Borla LT's sound amazing though
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Ya me too. The BBK sound thinner and not as tuned. Every car sounds different that I have heard them on too (V8's included) though depending on the setup after the LT's. Honestly I like the sound with the high flow cats and stock or chambered style muffler the best. Not ideal for max HP but it has a lower end rumble and is loud enough for me.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya me too. The BBK sound thinner and not as tuned. Every car sounds different that I have heard them on too (V8's included) though depending on the setup after the LT's. Honestly I like the sound with the high flow cats and stock or chambered style muffler the best. Not ideal for max HP but it has a lower end rumble and is loud enough for me.
Yeah, I haven't heard any setup I liked with BBK's (from videos anyway). I've seen two different people with Bassanis and thought they only sounded good with that procharger on there. Otherwise it was raspy like the BBK's. Someone posted that MAC will be making shorties. I think the gains will be minimal if any but I've always thought shorty headers sounded better on V6's. I think that paired with a hi-flow catted mid-pipe would sound great! And you won't lose out on the low end. Might be the route I take.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Oh cool. Ya I like the way the shorties sound on the 4.0 better than full length headers. The problem is that with LT's on the 6 vs the 8 is that the 6 has an even firing order and the pulses just can't be made to sound like an 8. Same goes with mufflers on our cars. They tune them for performance over sound obviously too. The shorties are really just a little better flowing manifold of the stock pipes.

I wonder if they will be direct bolt on like the ones on years past or if you will need to cut your factory mid pipe and weld new collector ends on them like that of the new generation Camaro v6. The reason is that the factory manifolds are really short. If they make a shorty header they will need larger tubing and that will move the collectors down, which may cause clearance issues against the fire wall. So they will have to make them longer than the factory set. If that is the case then the factory mid pipe will need to be shortened by cutting the collector end of the mid pipe off and welding on a new supplied one with the headers. PITA. Then you run into issues with the 02 sensors not being far enough down the pipe and the car will throw a CEL/MIL and you wont pass inspection with a light on or without the sensor reading... So you would have to get a stock midpipe again and reinstall the factory manifolds to get through inspection. Our engine bays have a lot of room so hopefully they will be able to make it work with the stock midpipe and )2 sensor locations. The Camaro V6 engine is tight against the firewall.. Tighter than our cars..
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...ogress.859377/

From what he says it will be a direct bolt on to factory mid-pipe. We'll have to see.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

that would be awesome. ford has always had the aftermarket in mind with these cars. chevy didnt at all with the RS. not much you can do to those other than a CAI and pricey mufflers (if you thought the Ford mufflers were expensive... lol) easily. they dont even have tuners available other than dyno tuning or supercharging and that is wayyy extreme for most. their is one company that has software for tuning but it really doesnt allow for much editing for the most part. the sixxer camaro guys are chomping at the bit for it but it wont happen. Direct Injection doesn't make it easy. The CAI for the Camaro doesn't need a tuner either. The aftermarket never really caught on for them. Thank you Ford!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, the Mustang aftermarket is one of the best around. Theirs soooo many options it's great!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

I'm just catching up on this thread. It's been an interesting read and a lot of great suggestions. I'd like to do some of these mods because after my 1000 mile "careful driving", I quickly noticed what I thought was poor performance on the low end. I want to get that low-end performance that I think is missing. (By the way, to the person that said they hadn't tested the V8 manual - I can attest that it was hard to walk away from that option, but I liked the looks of the 2012 MCA I ended up with.)

For comparison, years ago, when they first came out, I had a Plymouth Laser with a 4-banger/4v/intercooled turbo, and I'd say that would easily beat this 2012 V6 I have now in 1st and 2nd, but maybe not much after that. The Mustang I have now seems slow to get started compared to that old turbo, even when I try to coax it a little, but maybe my memory is a little tinted. That old Laser would easily wind up and really move to around 60-65 in 2nd, with a red line at 6K, that was easy. This Mustang doesn't seem to get started until 3500 RPM's. Is it my driving, my memory, or is there a difference between cars like that back then and these newer Mustangs? I used to easily race Mustangs with that old Plymouth and beat them left and right - to clarify, automatics no problem, _some_ manuals (probably not such good drivers), *never* any modified manual. One left me in the dust so bad it was hilarious, as in "Was I standing still or what?". Even before that, I had a Shelby Charger (Dodge version - during Shelby's stint at Chrysler) that was quicker than some Stang automatics. So I feel I'm missing out on something when the advertisements claim the current Mustang V6's have more power than the "old V8's". I expected it to perform better (you can never really check this kind of thing out at the dealer before you buy one - maybe I should have stuck with the V8.)

I already added a Roush cai and axel-back exhaust. I don't want to void the warranty, so it sounds like a "Ford approved" supercharger and gears, maybe a tune, are going to make the most difference, right? Wouldn't a change in gears affect mpg's and cruising RPM's at various speeds? I'm not going to a track, and not looking for fractions of a second in a 1/4 mile. I just want to "feel" the power in the 0-60 range.

And one last thing: the handling on this 2012 V6 is....I think whimpy. Take a corner a little quick that has some small bumps and you slide all over the road. You better watch out if there is anything bigger than a mouse-sized bump.
kbirecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

confession:
i'm glad that i turned down the 08 GT for the 12 v6
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I purchased my 11 v6 back in October 2010 and had the opportunity to buy a 2010 Gt. I test drove both and while I agree the 2010 GT was 2 to 3 tenths quicker than the 11 v6 the 22,500 price tag on the 11 v6 was a no brainer for me. The 11v6 was thousands less than the 10 Gt and I never looked back. For around 1k, I added a Flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake and Sct bama tuner. For 23,500 I can easily beat a 10 Gt. Even with my 2.73 stock gears.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
You'll gain some hp with LT's but those gains will be up top. Will lose some down low where our cars are already hurting. Not worth it imo unless you're running FI or a high gear ratio. You'd be better off with just the mid-pipe imo. I think the Borla LT's sound amazing though
Lower gear ratio you mean. Even though 4.10 is a larger number than 2.73, it's a lower gear ratio. Low geared = faster accelerating, low top end. High geared = slower accelerating, higher top end.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I also got mine in Oct 2010 with 3:31 gears. 4 05/10 4.6 GT victims thus far. Muwaha ha ha ha ha ha!
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbirecki View Post
I'm just catching up on this thread. It's been an interesting read and a lot of great suggestions. I'd like to do some of these mods because after my 1000 mile "careful driving", I quickly noticed what I thought was poor performance on the low end. I want to get that low-end performance that I think is missing. (By the way, to the person that said they hadn't tested the V8 manual - I can attest that it was hard to walk away from that option, but I liked the looks of the 2012 MCA I ended up with.)

For comparison, years ago, when they first came out, I had a Plymouth Laser with a 4-banger/4v/intercooled turbo, and I'd say that would easily beat this 2012 V6 I have now in 1st and 2nd, but maybe not much after that. The Mustang I have now seems slow to get started compared to that old turbo, even when I try to coax it a little, but maybe my memory is a little tinted. That old Laser would easily wind up and really move to around 60-65 in 2nd, with a red line at 6K, that was easy. This Mustang doesn't seem to get started until 3500 RPM's. Is it my driving, my memory, or is there a difference between cars like that back then and these newer Mustangs? I used to easily race Mustangs with that old Plymouth and beat them left and right - to clarify, automatics no problem, _some_ manuals (probably not such good drivers), *never* any modified manual. One left me in the dust so bad it was hilarious, as in "Was I standing still or what?". Even before that, I had a Shelby Charger (Dodge version - during Shelby's stint at Chrysler) that was quicker than some Stang automatics. So I feel I'm missing out on something when the advertisements claim the current Mustang V6's have more power than the "old V8's". I expected it to perform better (you can never really check this kind of thing out at the dealer before you buy one - maybe I should have stuck with the V8.)

I already added a Roush cai and axel-back exhaust. I don't want to void the warranty, so it sounds like a "Ford approved" supercharger and gears, maybe a tune, are going to make the most difference, right? Wouldn't a change in gears affect mpg's and cruising RPM's at various speeds? I'm not going to a track, and not looking for fractions of a second in a 1/4 mile. I just want to "feel" the power in the 0-60 range.

And one last thing: the handling on this 2012 V6 is....I think whimpy. Take a corner a little quick that has some small bumps and you slide all over the road. You better watch out if there is anything bigger than a mouse-sized bump.
One of these? The times were taken from the internet.

Plymouth Laser 0 to 60 mph and Quarter Mile Times

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 0-60 mph 6.8 Quarter mile 15.2

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 0-60 mph 7.0 Quarter mile 14.8

My brother had the Talon TSI and it was a fun car.

When I got my car about a week avter I ran close to 5.5 sec 0-60's with 2.73 gears... Base car though. The MCA weighs more so...

The quarter mile times on these cars are below 14 seconds too. I have had a few z's and even a 300zx turbo that I thought was quicker than this back in the day but this car has better times than that too from what I researched on the internet.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #53
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
So how would you go about getting more bottom end torque?
Procharger... Add the procharger to a completely stock 3.7L will net you 450 lbs of tq. Start adding all the mods we've talked about and you will be over 500 lbs if tq... Dig deep you're looking around $6200 installed.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
U forgot meth injection!
There are some huge power gains in that
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
One of these? The times were taken from the internet.

Plymouth Laser 0 to 60 mph and Quarter Mile Times

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 0-60 mph 6.8 Quarter mile 15.2
I had the 1990, I got it about 3 weeks after they were out, and the extent of my mods then was to add white off-road lights in the lower front grill and use them as fog lights.

I spoke with a Classic Design Concepts person recently and he said the least expensive mod for the late model V6, as others suggested, is to put in a better gear ratio. That would get better off the line performance. Maybe $500-600 range installed.

But I haven't seen anyone comment about adding a turbo. I ran into a guy recently that has a 2013 MCA and is considering adding a custom turbo unit. He did something like this on a 2010 he had previously and would get 1/4 mile times similar to V8's, and much less expensive than a supercharger. There are some readily available on the market, but you have to look at placement. One company puts it in the front-left wheel well, which seems odd to me. Aren't turbo's pulling the exhaust and pumping it back in for boost where as superchargers are using a pulley off the engine (thus some loss of horsepower)? Wouldn't it be better to put a turbo closer to the source of the exhaust?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

turbos are on the way as kits from what i here... if u are going to do one on your own you really need to know what u are doing from a mechanical standpoint and most here just want a kit that can be installed without any fabrication or headaches with emissions. gears will be your biggest bang for the buck for anything under a grand unless you want to go with nitrous but you will want to dyno tune that setup which will get you over a grand quick.. gear installs arent cheap... figure the gear set and install kit will be about $300 and install will be $3-500. I would ask around local and see who does a really good install. The extra money spent on a more experienced mechanic that has done several rears will be well worth it. If you are going to install yourself you can do it and save on the install but I would leave the gears to a pro if you haven't done a few before.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

If you shop around a bit you can get a good deal on gears and install. Found gears on sale for $120. And found a shop that'll charge $300 for install which includes everything, bearing, fluid etc.. So $420 total sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Just gotta look around. And that's from a reputable shop who I heard about from fellow Mustang owners and had plenty of good reviews. I found some places that wanted $600 just for install which is just crazy.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

How do I verify what gears I have and what I can/should consider to replace them with? I have the 2012 MCA V6 Premium, but I don't remember any reference to "Performance Package".
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Untitled Page

Where the = sign is, put your VIN. It'll show your window sticker with every option it left the factory with. If you have 3.31s it'll tell you

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Or just look on your door tag or under the car. their is a barcode on your rear cover. It will also have 2.73 or 3.31 on it.. If you have 2.73 gears on your door tag it will be under axles. CC is 273. I think CG is 331 cant remember all the Ford codes off the top of my head.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

OK, thanks for the pointers to find out what my gears are. The web page is cool, I saved a copy so it is pristine, but I do have the original folded up in the center console. And the tip about looking at the doors was good. I remembered this site that shows the matrix for a VIN decoder across model years. (On that same site you can see my car with a couple additional pics below the main one. I'm going to send in an updated pic with the updated tail lights, too.)

Those didn't show my gear ratio, and I didn't want to crawl around in my garage right now. So that got me thinking, and I remembered I have the original book that the dealer's put out. I looked in there and found I have 2.73 gears. The optional V6 Performance Package (which I don't have) includes 3.31 gear ratio with limited slip differential, but only on the coupe (mine is convertible). So does that mean there might be a reason only the coupe can get that option? Could it be too stressful on the body to change the gears to something higher?

I saw pwrby4d's mention of an ~5% increase per step in gears. What are the steps, I've been Google searching and it appears that this varies depending on manufacturer and model.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

2.73, 3.08, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56. etc. Most people will only go to a 4.10 max for a street strip car... my last one had 4.30's in it. I bought a rear end that had the gears in it and swapped the whole axle out at one time and sold my old rear that had a 3.31 in it otherwise I probably would have only went to a 4.10. My last one was an automatic and the 4.30 gears (5 speed auto too) made it a helluva fun car from 0-100. That said 65 mph I was spinning almost 3k RPM so not a fun ride on the highway at 7% mph with longtubes and a race exhaust lol. I drove it across country from NJ to AZ that way 2,500+ miles .

I wouldnt go higher than 3.73 gears in this car though unless you are serious about taking it to the track a lot. 3.73 gears will make it pull harder down low and keep you in a decent RPM range in 6th gear at 70 mph. Keep in mind that a taller tire will be like loosing gear (making it have less torque) and a smaller tire will be gaining gear (more torque). I mention this because if you plan on running a full drag slick at the track and have a tall tire it will loose torque. That said, If you gear the car and it doesn't hook up well you could try a taller tire. If it hooks up well and you want more gear and feel it will still launch well then you would go with a smaller tire to add torque, get it?

3.73's are by far the most common all around gear choice for people looking to do a swap. That gear will work very well with a supercharger too. 4.10's will be a handful with low end torque and boost... Most guys with 4.10's and supercharger will tell you they have to roll out slower to keep it from blowing off the tires or doing rollers (a rolling burnout) down the track.

On a few sights they have gear ratio calculators. You can use the ones for the 6060 transmission and just enter in the final gear ratios of our tranny, tire size, and rear gear choice and it will tell you what RPM you will be at in every gear at whatever mph you enter.

I would fool around with one of those and see what works for you.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Edit.

PaladinMicro

Found this one right away and it has the MT82 in it. Just change the tire sizes, axle gear ratio and tranny to mt82 and you are good to go.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Entering in the base mustang v6 tire size, mt82 and 3.73 gear I get 70MPH 2000 RPM in 6th gear which is still nice on the highway. 4th gear would be close to 6000 RPM at 100mph which would be close to you probably running a 1/4 mile and well under redline. That sounds like a good match to me. 3.90 gears would put you at 6250 RPM at close to 100 MPH in 4th and at 70 MPH in 6th you would be right around 2250 RPM. 4.10's at 70mph will put it at around 2450 RPM in 6th and at 100mph close to 6400 RPM which is getting very close to redline and you would probably have to stick it in 5th gear.

So I would go 3.90 max if I was going to track the car and 3.73 max if it was a daily driver and wanted to add a supercharger maybe later or dont plan on going to the track at all but want low end torque.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks pwrby4d, that was very complete and helpful. I did start to understand some of the sites that calculate rpm's with various inputs, but I didn't have all that info yet. But your explanation was very helpful. Based on that, I think I'd be more interested in the "daily driver" route with some bite behind the growl with a gear change, so 3.31 or maybe 3.55. I (almost) definitely don't think I'd try a drag strip.

Theoretically, putting cost aside, for some careful, strategic, get-up-and-go, now I'm thinking about comparing a few things: changing out gears vs. adding a turbo vs. adding a supercharger, and comparing the pros and cons of cost, performance, and affect on mpg's. Can you fill in the blanks here giving your opinion of the relative pros/cons addressing these three factors, and correct anything I incorrectly filled in so far.

1) Increasing Gears: PROS: Low cost, good performance / CONS: reduces mpg's all the time

2) Adding a Turbo: PROS: Medium cost, _____performance, minimally affect mpgs(?) / CONS: ______ (maybe more intrusive/difficult to implement)

3) Adding supercharger: PROS: great performance, minimally affect mpgs(?) /CONS: High cost
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I purchased my 11 v6 back in October 2010 and had the opportunity to buy a 2010 Gt. I test drove both and while I agree the 2010 GT was 2 to 3 tenths quicker than the 11 v6 the 22,500 price tag on the 11 v6 was a no brainer for me. The 11v6 was thousands less than the 10 Gt and I never looked back. For around 1k, I added a Flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake and Sct bama tuner. For 23,500 I can easily beat a 10 Gt. Even with my 2.73 stock gears.
I'd like to disagree with u. I had the same hard decision and choose the 2010 GT mostly because I was looking to achieve a certain sound I knew would be difficult with the V6. With CAI, tune and 3.73 gears I haven't been beat by a new V6 at the track yet. But I will admit, Everytime I go to fill up I second guess my choice. The new V6s do rock. If I had to do it all over again I might have made a different choice lol.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight View Post
I'd like to disagree with u. I had the same hard decision and choose the 2010 GT mostly because I was looking to achieve a certain sound I knew would be difficult with the V6. With CAI, tune and 3.73 gears I haven't been beat by a new V6 at the track yet. But I will admit, Everytime I go to fill up I second guess my choice. The new V6s do rock. If I had to do it all over again I might have made a different choice lol.
As far as sound, your choice has some value and merit. I did add Roush axle-back exhaust simply to get better sound (and the bonus of minimal hp gain, but that was secondary), but I can tell a difference between the V6 and the V8. I'm sure anyone that knows this stuff can easily tell a tweaked V6 sound from a true V8, and the sound from your true V8 you have really rocks! But the people I know don't have Mustangs and I have fun with it - that's what's important, that I can enjoy it.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight

I agree, when it comes to rumble sound the V8 is going to be on top. But the 11 plus V6 has true dual exhaust and it sounds good. For around 400 bucks you can get aftermarket exhaust and really give it a more aggressive sound. If a 11 v6 puts on 3.73 gears, cold air intake and sct bama race tune, its gonna be real close to a 10 gt with same mods. But for thousands less.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Lower gear ratio you mean. Even though 4.10 is a larger number than 2.73, it's a lower gear ratio. Low geared = faster accelerating, low top end. High geared = slower accelerating, higher top end.
what's your average mpg for the lower gearing mod? can you baby it and stick in the lower rpms to get at least the same or better gas milage?
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Your welcome. I would go with a 3.55 then. This way it will have a little more go in the lower end than a Performance Package car or someone who order the 331 rear and can justify not ordering the gears when you purchased your car.

I could have bought mine with the 3.31 rear option for $400 more off the lot but I felt I would want at least 3.55 so that is why I just went with the 2.73... figured if I was going to gear it why pay the extra 2x ?

If you are worried about warranty and gears you can have a Ford dealer do the swap for you too and it is covered under warranty and will not void your existing warranty... That said it will probably be a bit more expensive but not always. Downs Ford in NJ (when I lived there) would do gear changes at very competitve prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbirecki View Post
Thanks pwrby4d, that was very complete and helpful. I did start to understand some of the sites that calculate rpm's with various inputs, but I didn't have all that info yet. But your explanation was very helpful. Based on that, I think I'd be more interested in the "daily driver" route with some bite behind the growl with a gear change, so 3.31 or maybe 3.55. I (almost) definitely don't think I'd try a drag strip.

Theoretically, putting cost aside, for some careful, strategic, get-up-and-go, now I'm thinking about comparing a few things: changing out gears vs. adding a turbo vs. adding a supercharger, and comparing the pros and cons of cost, performance, and affect on mpg's. Can you fill in the blanks here giving your opinion of the relative pros/cons addressing these three factors, and correct anything I incorrectly filled in so far.

1) Increasing Gears: PROS: Low cost, good performance / CONS: reduces mpg's all the time

2) Adding a Turbo: PROS: Medium cost, _____performance, minimally affect mpgs(?) / CONS: ______ (maybe more intrusive/difficult to implement)

3) Adding supercharger: PROS: great performance, minimally affect mpgs(?) /CONS: High cost

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight View Post
That is like saying my last car an 06 GT with all the bolt ons and geared beat many 11+ bone stock 5.0's at the track...

Not comparing apples to apples i.e stock car to stock car.. Gear a 3.7 with 3.73's and give it the same mods you have.. I think you will be looking at the rear end of a sixxer in the 1/4 mile... The redline on these cars are higher and the pull hard from 3 grand right to redline... The 4.6 falls flat at around 5500 RPM.. I have owned both and ran my last one at the track a lot. I really feel the new 3.7 has much more potential. The 4.6 is good for a safe 450 RWHP. The 3.7 has been proven to go to 525+ safe and is probably a good 100 lbs lighter on the nose.

As far a V8 rumble.. Well you got a winner there. No contest. I miss the roar of my v8...
Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

toms river, eh? i'm in Long Branch, NJ.

Not that i want to jack the thread or anything, but I wish we can set up a community tuning co-op. where if one of us buys a tuner for the new '13 v6, we can pay to use their tuning device w/ the loads.
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I lived in NJ for close to 40 years. Moved to AZ last year. Know lots of Mustang owners back east and quite a few speed shops and owners too. LMK if you are looking for a place to tune, mod etc. I can give you a few refs...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 v6