Roush exhaust....no likey. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Roush exhaust....no likey.

Im an exhaust guy. Typically a v8 exhaust guy...but I digress. Ive had exhaust on 4, 6, & 8 cyl cars. From axle backs to full off road long tube, no cats, straight thru systems. I thought based on the vids I would kinda-sorta-maybe like the Roush system on our PPv6. Nope.

Looks phenomenal, sounds like crap. Flowmasters on my 2000 Grand Prix GTP were deeper and had less rasp.

"IF" you drive slow and only see 2k while accelerating it sounds fine, and really nice. If you are railing it, sounds great from 3000 to redline. But the average amount of acceleration most give in normal driving it hits this area in the 2300-2800 that sounds like absolute dog piss and I really dislike it (if you couldnt already tell).

No drone at all on hwy, so thats a positive I guess. FYI, this is an Automatic car with the resonators unlike the manuals.

Its very loud, louder than some of my v8 cars with equal type mufflers. Its louder than my catless Z06. And im ok with loud if it sounds right. It doesnt.

Ill be adding 2 - 20" magnaflow resonators to the system (ive done this before with good luck on my 6.0 LS2) and that should get rid of the nastiness. But for now its a definite thumbs down from me.

If you are not a 'ricer', or hate those civics with "that sound" this is not the exhaust for you. Hear it in person 1st, youll likely end up looking at a Touring type of exhaust instead. And again, I LOVE LOUD...just not this kinda sound. I was expecting more of a deeper version of a 350z/g35 with a decent exhaust. Fail.

These were used too (2mos) so they are carbon'd up. Oh yea, bought the system for $180. Woot! Will have to tack on the $100 its gonna cost for the resonators and welding tho. Ill post back after I do that.
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Everyones got different taste. Some love the Roush on here. I've got Magnaflow and love them. Wouldn't trade them for anything else. I actually prefer my sound over most V8's. It's very sporty, deep, and exotic which I love. A little bit of everything good.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Roush exhaust....no likey.

id love to say im spoiled by a long history of really great sounding v8 cars...but its simply more than that. Ive had pontiac and jeep v6s that sounded TONS better than this. Again, im mostly griping about the 2-3k rpm range (while accelerating), but a good majority of my everyday driving is in this ugly sounding area.

I know ill like it with the resonators installed...just giving my 1st impression
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What do you think of borla exhausts? Are they worth the $? Im not sure if id want the touring or atak, i wish i could hear it in person. The atak seems like itd be a nuissance to everyone
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I've never heard the Roush compared to Ricer exhausts ... I don't hear it that way at all. I had a 2011 Altima 3.5 with the Nismo exhaust and THAT sounded ricey and droned HORRIBLY at cruising speed.

But - exhaust is very subjective. I hope you find one you like!
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

I'm thinking that the Magnaflow streets are the sound that alludc was looking for. Nice deep sound without being annoying.

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Here we go again eh? I guess somebody has to defend the Roush system. First off I want to say that everybody has their own opinions on what sounds good and what sounds bad. It's all personal opinion and IMO, the Roush set up is perfect. I've been running these axle backs for around twoish months now and in quite a disagreement with alludc.

It's not your typical exhaust sound. Not a v8, not a ricer, not a civic with a fart can, it's unique. Moto113 just installed this system on his car and posted a video of it which is very close to what they sound like in real person. It does have a little rasp to it, but honestly, I kind of like that. Nice deep start up that makes me smile every time I turn the key and if there is somebody next to me, it will make he/she look and go WTF.

The exhaust is a straight up head turner, in a positive way. I get thumbs up and questions on what I'm running all the time on the local roads. My advice for the person who is looking to upgrade exhaust, do your homework. Watching the YouTube videos, talking to people, hearing everything in person before you make your final decision is what you really need to do.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #8

Region: New Jersey
Honestly the best sounding exhaust I've seen via video is the FRPP's. Too bad they're so damn pricey.
Fo Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The FRPP, Flowmaster Force II and the Bassani system sound the best to me. The Flows are the cheapest of the 3 but also more restrictive than the others. I like the sound of the 'flows the best.

I am waiting to hear the Pypes Pype Bomb kit. I've heard the roush before in person and at certain RPM's it sounds great and at others it sounds like a chainsaw in a bathroom IMO. The videos of the Roush sound a bit better than in person too from my experience.

Alludc: keep us posted on the resonators and lets here some clips
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sho View Post
Honestly the best sounding exhaust I've seen via video is the FRPP's. Too bad they're so damn pricey.
Well we all know about Ford OEM parts and the price tag that comes with them...

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like DGrum04 says:
Quote:
I want to say that everybody has their own opinions on what sounds good and what sounds bad.
I still say allduc would have been happy with Magnaflow streets or Ford Racing touring.

The Mustang owners that like "LOUD" would not like the Streets or Touring at all.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

Region: Oregon

I run the Roush cat backs with no mufflers on my 08 gt. i think it sounds great.
Dword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post
Here we go again eh? I guess somebody has to defend the Roush system. First off I want to say that everybody has their own opinions on what sounds good and what sounds bad. It's all personal opinion and IMO, the Roush set up is perfect. I've been running these axle backs for around twoish months now and in quite a disagreement with alludc.

It's not your typical exhaust sound. Not a v8, not a ricer, not a civic with a fart can, it's unique. Moto113 just installed this system on his car and posted a video of it which is very close to what they sound like in real person. It does have a little rasp to it, but honestly, I kind of like that. Nice deep start up that makes me smile every time I turn the key and if there is somebody next to me, it will make he/she look and go WTF.

The exhaust is a straight up head turner, in a positive way. I get thumbs up and questions on what I'm running all the time on the local roads. My advice for the person who is looking to upgrade exhaust, do your homework. Watching the YouTube videos, talking to people, hearing everything in person before you make your final decision is what you really need to do.
I love the Roush, couldn't ask for a better sound. Listening to my car drive away is pure sex. The comparisons OP is making couldn't be further from the truth to me.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
They are loud. Not as loud as say, magnaflow competitions or a glorified straight pipe. But the streets can be almost a stock GT or like a wide open snarling beast that makes people want to yell at you to make it stop. That's what I like control. Roush...well idk if I would get such control
Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've heard the roush driving home from school now about 10+ times, and I can't explain it but I don't like it. It pops, cuts out, and drones a little, and yes many people look, but I think they look just because its loud, not because they know what they are hearing, just that it's not normal.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

as usual, an opinion stirs up a fuss. If you can imagine a supercharged, long tube, catless, flowmaster 1 chamber setup on a 92 ford, you know I love loud.

its the tone, and the trumpeting of this Roush I think sounds absolutely foolish.

The wife took it to the store today to grab me some cleaning supplies. its 1/2 mile away. I heard her leaving their parking lot. Thats awesome. I also heard the trumpet play before it shifted into 2nd or 3rd gear. BLECK!

Using the sport shift, I control it now when im driving and avoid that range, unless im only slightly on the gas, or if im railing it. if you are 20-40% throttle in the mid2k rpms I dare you to tell me you dont hear the high pitch raspy trumpet. Its ricey, end of story. The story of my opinion that is.

I will be using my gopro and do a before and after vid of the way it is now, and after the resonators are added.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well we all have our own preferences and different taste in sound. I personally love that pop and rasp and though you say its got that "ricer" sound, to me it sounds like a high compression engine with deep base to it, kinda like an exotic, nothing like a Honda civic, maybe closer to the subaru or Mitsubishi lancer. I love what they have done and how it can also be kept quiet. But like i said we all have our own opinion.
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alludc View Post
as usual, an opinion stirs up a fuss. If you can imagine a supercharged, long tube, catless, flowmaster 1 chamber setup on a 92 ford, you know I love loud.

its the tone, and the trumpeting of this Roush I think sounds absolutely foolish.

The wife took it to the store today to grab me some cleaning supplies. its 1/2 mile away. I heard her leaving their parking lot. Thats awesome. I also heard the trumpet play before it shifted into 2nd or 3rd gear. BLECK!

Using the sport shift, I control it now when im driving and avoid that range, unless im only slightly on the gas, or if im railing it. if you are 20-40% throttle in the mid2k rpms I dare you to tell me you dont hear the high pitch raspy trumpet. Its ricey, end of story. The story of my opinion that is.

I will be using my gopro and do a before and after vid of the way it is now, and after the resonators are added.
Exactly. I dont like the trumpeting. But hey everyones opinion of good tone is subjective. Some people like thick grinding guitars, others prefer acoustic,

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto113 View Post
Well we all have our own preferences and different taste in sound. I personally love that pop and rasp and though you say its got that "ricer" sound, to me it sounds like a high compression engine with deep base to it, kinda like an exotic, nothing like a Honda civic, maybe closer to the subaru or Mitsubishi lancer. I love what they have done and how it can also be kept quiet. But like i said we all have our own opinion.
Well said. I like the gurgle and pop but I am fixated on certain frequencies I just cant stand. Some exhaust systems cancel it and others accelerate it.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have not heard the Roush exhaust in person but when I was looking to upgrade my exhaust I was torn between Roush and Flowmaster axlebacks. I found a lot of negative feedback on the Roush set and nothing but good things about the Flowmasters so I went with that set. Love the sound, can't go wrong with them.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

few days in, no change in my opinion. Altered driving style to work around it til the resonators.

I love downshifting with the sport shift auto, sounds great. Love idle grumble. So, there are good points! Im just workin on the rest.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alludc View Post
few days in, no change in my opinion. Altered driving style to work around it til the resonators.

I love downshifting with the sport shift auto, sounds great. Love idle grumble. So, there are good points! Im just workin on the rest.
How is that....does it always let you downshift? Does it blip the throttle for you? I was doing some spirited driving in my manual this weekend through some twisties, it was super amazing being able to downshift before turns and wind up the engine but damn blipping the throttle is tricky!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

it does give a lil blip.... not as advanced as the new M3s (sooooooooo badass) but it does

As far as gettin your blipping right in the manual...youll get it. Itll be no time before you feel like you have 3 feet down there.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
Road Trip!

The roush on a v6 at WOT reminds me of a propeller airplane taking off in a massive oil barrel.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Or a trombone player laying down a triple forte whole note in a aluminum trash can.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
The roush on a v6 at WOT reminds me of a propeller airplane taking off in a massive oil barrel.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Or a trombone player laying down a triple forte whole note in a aluminum trash can.
It's very tin can and raspy. A lot of exhausts on these cars turn like that if you get headers/x pipes too. I don't really understand why. It's weird.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: New York
MAGNAFLOW
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust