launching with an auto? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
launching with an auto?

anyone have any tips, besides a high stall torque converter?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: launching with an auto?

foot on brake, rev to 1500, release foot, nail it
Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygreenmachine
foot on brake, rev to 1500, release foot, nail it
Won't that jut do like a baby burnout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Won't that jut do like a baby burnout?
Usually revving under 2000 wont do a burnout
Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Foot brake the car, bring the RPM up till it feels like it wants to spin the tires. When the last yellow comes on lift off the brake, let the car roll out 6ft, then get on the gas, if it spins to much do the same thing ,just ease into the gas.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I do it exactly as Gil above said but I would also say practice feathering the gas up to and holding at the desired RPM and also continue to feather gas up(quickly to a full on floor mash but also feather quickly (dont just lift) break off when launching. This will allow you to keep the RPM continuing up and the rear brake will help control any tire spin. Other than that get a higher flash stall converter. Practice what works the best for you. Everyones technique is a bit different as it depends on tires, weather, hp, tq and track conditions every time. Also do you stage deep or shallow? Most stage deep they can get a rolling start before they break the beams. I always stage as deep as I can.

Shallow = tripping the stage lights and rolling in as close as possible before the lights go out because you have rolled passed the stage area. Getting as close to tripping the beams that will start your ET time.

Deep = tripping the first light and then rolling minimal to get the second light barely to come on and then stopping as close as you can. This gives you about a foot roll before the ET starts. The roll out gives you and advantage to get a better reaction time. It really only affects your reaction times as the ET doesnt start until the car rolls through the beams.

Here is more from Raceway parks sight. I am just going to copy it and paste it becuase I cant explain it any better.

Its a little long and off topic but I think applies to you wanting to help launch your car as best as possible.

Staging Etiquette
How do you handle staging? What is the courtesy or rule regarding who stages first? This question comes up every now and then.

Different drivers will require a different amount of time to stage their cars. Some are naturally slow stagers. This means they want to delicately place the car in the same spot every time so they are careful to "bump" into the right spot. When matched against an opponent that is not a slow stager, this can be a disadvantage as if the opponent stages quickly, it puts a little pressure on you to stage quicker so you don't get caught by surprise by the tree.

It is okay to approach the tree 1st. Try not to light the first set of lights until your opponent has a started to approach the tree. The generally accepted courtesy is to light up the first set of lights and wait for your opponent to do the same. Once both drivers have the first set of lights on, usually the first one in lights the second set but either one can do it.

What about Deep staging

If your opponent is going to deep stage, try not to light the second set of stage lights until your opponent has deep staged (deep staging means the driver rolls forward until the 1st set of lights are turned off and only the second set remain on). Sometimes the track officials are not aware the driver is going to deep stage and may start the tree before the Deep stage is completed (this is rare but it has happened).
Staging Etiquette Courtesy

Bracket racers appreciate this courtesy so lets do us all a favor and abide by this "unwritten rule". Remember we are all doing this for fun.
Autostart and Deep Staging

What does this mean?
Autostart - Autostart will be activated when one driver has lit both their pre-stage and stage bulbs, and the second driver lights their pre-stage bulb. When three sets of stage bulbs are lit, a timer in the computer will begin counting down. The un-staged driver will have 10 seconds to fully stage their car. Failing to stage the car within the 10 seconds will result in a disqualification of that driver. Once both drivers are fully staged, the tree will start automatically between 1.2 and 1.7 seconds. The starting line official will not override the autostart, which used to be the case when one or both drivers wanted to deep stage.
Deep Staging - Raceway Park will still allow deep staging; however will no longer hold the tree for a deep staging driver. This means if a driver wishes to stage deep, he/she must get in and stage first. Since Raceway Park will no longer hold the tree, there is no longer a need to write "DEEP" on your car as it will not be acknowledged. If you must go deep be aware when the tree has all four sets of stage lights on, you are on the 1.2 to 1.7 clock (see above).
Courtesy Staging - Challenge racers are expected to be courteous to their opponents as we have always been. Drivers should wait until both have lit the pre-stage bulbs before fully staging. If you intend to go deep, since it is no longer written on your car, please advise your opponent that you wish to do this so that you each can factor this into staging.
The items stated above are the result of NHRA Division 1 changes for ET race program of which we are a part of.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
ill be sure us this info!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Shallow = tripping the stage lights and rolling in as close as possible before the lights go out because you have rolled passed the stage area. Getting as close to tripping the beams that will start your ET time.

Deep = tripping the first light and then rolling minimal to get the second light barely to come on and then stopping as close as you can. This gives you about a foot roll before the ET starts. The roll out gives you and advantage to get a better reaction time. It really only affects your reaction times as the ET doesnt start until the car rolls through the beams.
You have those reversed in your explanation above.

Deep means that you have staged so far that you turn off the pre-stage bulbs and are close to tripping the start beams.

Shallow means that you have just barely lit the stage lights after pre-staging. Light up the first set of bulbs, and then move in as little as possible to light the second set.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You have those reversed in your explanation above.

Deep means that you have staged so far that you turn off the pre-stage bulbs and are close to tripping the start beams.

Shallow means that you have just barely lit the stage lights after pre-staging. Light up the first set of bulbs, and then move in as little as possible to light the second set.
Yes and No. Depends on where you come from or get your information from I guess. I have had people explain it to me both ways. Even at the track. Seems like different states or areas of the country flip it. I guess it is whomever you learned it from. lol. That info above was copied and pasted off of a RACEWAY PARK NHRA track site. lol

Anyway, the point is, figure out which way is better for you. Then become a master at replicating it.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d

What about Deep staging

If your opponent is going to deep stage, try not to light the second set of stage lights until your opponent has deep staged (deep staging means the driver rolls forward until the 1st set of lights are turned off and only the second set remain on).
Actually your cut and paste from their web site explains it as I did. Someone probably explained it to you the other way and it stuck with you.

The advantage to deep staging is a quicker reaction time, but with a loss of ET and MPH at the other end. I've never had much luck with deep since it changes reaction time and I tend toward a shallow stage.

Just get out and try what works best for you OP. There isn't any single technique. Each car, driver, and track condition will be different. I found launching my Xcharger at 1800 worked best for my set up. Another person with a different set up found he needed a looser TC and needed 2300 rpm.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I don't know if this will work for a Mustang Automatic

When I drag raced my 98 automatic Corvette I tried holding the brake and getting the RPM's up for a fast hole shot and was turning low 13's

I was told to just put it in drive. hold the brake just enough to stage it. Do not give it gas until the light is ready to turn green, Then just floor it and go."Let the computer figure out using the traction control turned on" I went from 13.2's to 12.6 just doing that. (Bowling Green Ky.)
At Gainesville I did 12.7 with that procedure. Not bad times for a Vette with Runflat tires. I was also told never to run in the water with the runflats. A wet runflat is like running on ice.

I don't know how this would work with A Mustang Automatic or if the Ford Traction control is as good as the GM's. I'll probably never get to the drag strip with my Mustang so I'll never know.

I do know if I floor this V6 Auto from about 40MPG it pushes ya back into the seat and goes like hell. It shifts very fast and locks up just perfect.

When you are spinning to much you are losing momentum, Power and traction is the name of the drag racing game.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

I haven't tried launching this 2013 with TCS and Advance Track on still - or like you did with your Corvette. I will be at Maryland International Raceway on Friday for a private track rental so will have to try your technique and see how it does.

Definitely though let the computer control the transmission. Even with the select shift feature, the computer will shift much better than a human can.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thanks JimC

It would be nice to know.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

And the best thing for traction is suspension, wider tires, and maybe some sandbags in the rear?

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

*suspension upgrades
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wider tires seem the cheapest of those. Is that right?
Cept the sandbags of course lol
Ryanjcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjcain
Wider tires seem the cheapest of those. Is that right?
Cept the sandbags of course lol
Well I want to get 18x10 and put on 295s
They're about 250 ea
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sandbags will add weight.

In drag racing you do not want to add weight. The sandbags in the trunk may or may not help you with spinning but they will destroy your momentum the rest of the 1/4 mile.

Your better off not adding the extra weight and learning a good launch technique.Wider tires with a softer compound would be much better then adding weight. A nice set of drag radials just for the track is the way to go if you do the strip a lot. If you are just in it for the fun of it just use your street tires and learn a good start line technique.

The main thing is just have some fun!!!

Ronnie
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I agree!

I really want to go to the track but my mom would flip sh*t
An the entry fee Is like 50 bucks ( they went out of business a couple years ago and recently brought it back)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is that all it costs to enter? Never been but i am thinking about it
Ryanjcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'm by no means proficient in drag racing, because I haven't done it before
Not saying I haven't raced :p
But that's the cot here
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Most drag strips have a non compitition day/night

Most all Drag strips have a non-competition time to just run time trials. You need to find out when that occurs. $50.00 is for competition racing where they give out trophy's and sometimes cash to the winning classes.

On time trial day/nights they usually charge from $10 to $15 dollars and you can make as many runs as you want to. They will give you your time slips and it is just a whole lot of fun.

If you have never done it before you should find a friend that has done it for some pointers. If you have no one you can always find someone at the drag strip to ask about some helping pointers to get you started. The drag strip racers are 99% great people and always willing to help a new racer get started.

Just be careful and don't try for record breaking times the first few times out.

Ronnie
Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

My best 60' this past Friday was with the TCS and Advance Track turned off - trying to launch with it on, then with just TCS disabled and advance track on, the times and 60' times were worse.
Best launch was taking it up to 2,000 rpm after pre-staging, and bumping into the lights; hold the brake as hard as possible (pulled the parking brake and pumped them after pre-staging and then stepped hard and released the parking brake). At the third yellow floored it then released the brake.

I tried getting over 2,000 and it pushed me through the lights. At another track that wasn't as well prepped it started to spin the drag radials at the line.

Oh, and on a 2013 with an automatic you will not be able to do a burn out or get over 2,000 rpm foot braking it without a tune. Ford reprogrammed the torque management system.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I guess the programming is way different.

My guess is in 1998 the Corvette computer probably only handled the traction control. The new Mustangs computer handles not only the traction control but everything else on engine control as well as the electric posi traction.

White Lightning said:[QUOTE][Twin variable cam timing. Whatever is called it still has to realize how much throttle you give and mustangs are already famous for throttle lag/QUOTE]

I guess this is the problem.

It's a bummer that they could not put a launch control on the car as an option. Ford knows people are going to want to drag race these cars.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ronnie
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Most all Drag strips have a non-competition time to just run time trials. You need to find out when that occurs. $50.00 is for competition racing where they give out trophy's and sometimes cash to the winning classes.

On time trial day/nights they usually charge from $10 to $15 dollars and you can make as many runs as you want to. They will give you your time slips and it is just a whole lot of fun.

If you have never done it before you should find a friend that has done it for some pointers. If you have no one you can always find someone at the drag strip to ask about some helping pointers to get you started. The drag strip racers are 99% great people and always willing to help a new racer get started.

Just be careful and don't try for record breaking times the first few times out.

Ronnie
Where's the 1% racer go? Lol
Rileychan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Where do the 1% racers go

The 1% are the arrogant idiots that are there to get drunk and piss everybody else off. Every racetrack has them. When you start going to the tracks you will always find at least a couple of them at each place.

The other 99% are there to race, do time trials and be around other people that love cars and racing and just having fun.

You ask where the 1% can go, I'll tell ya "They can go to he** as far as everybody there is concerned.

Ronnie
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
My best 60' this past Friday was with the TCS and Advance Track turned off - trying to launch with it on, then with just TCS disabled and advance track on, the times and 60' times were worse.
Best launch was taking it up to 2,000 rpm after pre-staging, and bumping into the lights; hold the brake as hard as possible (pulled the parking brake and pumped them after pre-staging and then stepped hard and released the parking brake). At the third yellow floored it then released the brake.

I tried getting over 2,000 and it pushed me through the lights. At another track that wasn't as well prepped it started to spin the drag radials at the line.

Oh, and on a 2013 with an automatic you will not be able to do a burn out or get over 2,000 rpm foot braking it without a tune. Ford reprogrammed the torque management system.
I do the 2,000rpm with brake and just floor it with just tc off. It's faster it feels that way.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Should advance trac & traction control be off while launching or on?

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

I do the 2,000rpm with brake and just floor it with just tc off. It's faster it feels that way.
Do you feel like your losing a little control since the tc is off?
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO
Should advance trac & traction control be off while launching or on?

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Do you feel like your losing a little control since the tc is off?
On a dry surface no. On a wet surface a little spin. I don't feel I lose traction in a straight line but from a stop obviously. If you feel me.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Find a nice hill with a red light and a random car next to you. Happens every night I leave school get up to the red light look to the left wait for the light green!! BAM!!! I'm bookin it and spinnin that rubber while I'm at it!!!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
Find a nice hill with a red light and a random car next to you. Happens every night I leave school get up to the red light look to the left wait for the light green!! BAM!!! I'm bookin it and spinnin that rubber while I'm at it!!!
If you go out between the buildings no one uses that entrance, I get mine to spin real good back there

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang