Fors may be dropping the 6 cylinder in 2015? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Fors may be dropping the 6 cylinder in 2015?

Just read some reports that Ford may drop the V6 and make room for a 4 cylinder option. They are thinking of using the Eco-boost they use with their other vehicles and it could produce up to 320-330 hp. Whats y'alls guys take on this? Will it happen?
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Fors may be dropping the 6 cylinder in 2015?

Im going to sit and watch. If nothing else, I can make fun of the numerous base model '15s having bumble bee exhaust notes.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

OK with me.

My warrenty is good until 2018. I'm not going to trade my Mustang until at least 2020.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
OK with me.

My warrenty is good until 2018. I'm not going to trade my Mustang until at least 2020.

Ronnie
I'll bite the bullet and get the V8 when I'm ready to trade in. Please a 4 banger!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

If history is any lesson... I'm most likely to boost this engine or do an engine swap to a 5.0 and boost it. I like modifying things.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Can you post a link to this report? I think they should bring back the King Cobra and put a turbo 4 banger in there.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Can you post a link to this report? I think they should bring back the King Cobra and put a turbo 4 banger in there.
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/0...-2015-mustang/

And if u google it there's tons of articles on it already
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That article doesn't say anything except one random journalist wants a 4 banger. I'll wait for Ford to say something and not some random guy on the internet. I think the 3.7 will stick around for now. It's still brand new. Either way I've got a nice car and I hope to keep it for awhile. Unless the 15+ is just crazy awesome
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Honestly a 4 cylinder would never be able to actually sound like a mustang plus can you imagine that engine bay talk about empty haha unless they made the whole car smaller? I do hope that they make something like the Camaro that will just totally e redesigned and wash away the camaros in style rather than some dumb Mazda lookin crap like seriously
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I have a very reliable ford engineer source in the powertrain dept for research develpopment and racing division and he is telling me they have a 5.0 with ecoboost in the testing right now and that they also have a 3.7 that has been made to be a 4.0 (their is plenty of room in the block for added cooling passages around the cylinder walls and to make the displacement he says) and they have an ecoboost 4.0 that is done and is embarrising the 5.0... again what i was told... so i guess we will see. regardless i read the report on motor 2.0 ecoboost too and it sounds like a pretty impresive motor. hp is 270.. cant remember torque numbers but it might even crap all over our beloved 3.7 motor if it is light and the torque is high. being a turbo it will have a ton of torque.

As a side note.. Another issue he was telling me about...once they go to direct injection motors it will be really costly for aftermarket. ford has been very good about keeping the aftermarket alive but with D/I the issue will be upgrading fuel systems and also with turbos emissions becomes a huge issue. Both of these issues could KILL the aftermarket. D/I and ecoboost is the future because of CAFE standards. They need to get the gas milage and keep the power to weight ratio high. The end of an automotiive era is approaching
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Im just going to close my eyes and enjoy my mustang. I plan to always keep it as a weekend car and continue daily driving japanese cars. If you treat cars like your cell phone or tv you will never be happy and always broke. If i had an 08 gt right now that i bought brand new and did some mods to it id still be happy today and i plan to feel that way with my 12 v6 in a few years.

With that said i never clued into d.i and the aftermarket, it really opens my eyes. Look at what happened to car audio...its practically dead. By the time i have kids they will have no idea what a "deck" is and have no intentions of installing their own subwoofers, i can only imagine the pussification of our youth transferring to tinkering with the rest of the car. Im 23 and i have an extremely hard time finding friends who are into cars, its why im on this forum.

We have an automotive apocalypse on our hands. Things like CAFE and marketing departments are ripping the heart and soul out of the automobile. Along with super angular designs made by computers to reduce drag coefficients.....this is happening in all aspects of life. All people care about nowadays are facebook, apple, hybrids, and meme's...what the f*** is going on with society. I work in electronics engineering so Im all for technological advancements but the car should feel brute and mechanical, but they are becoming appliances.

Lets just turn on the key and enjoy the automobile as it is today as tomorrow will bring us silent engines, no real manual transmissions, and autonomous cars. I will be the old gezzer in my '12 using a real horn to tell the robots to move out my way.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

lol. well said.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

A 5 liter Eco boost would be EPIC but I'm starting to wonder is this the start of the death of natural aspiration? Is every make going to evolve to some type of forced induction? I'm kinda mixed about the idea.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure all these eco-boosts will drive up the price of the car? It's high enough as it is! Boost the SE's. Keep the rest NA.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ya it will absolutely make it cost more. But they will get better fuel milage which will cost you less in the long run. That is what they are striving for. Paying at the pump now or upfront for a cleaner more efficient car.. Same **** to me.. right?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How much better economy do those eco-boost engines get though? I mean looking at the Taurus SHO, it's rated 17/25. That's much worse than our 3.7. Yes it's AWD but that's pretty awful for an "eco" engine imo. It gets better mpg's with the NA 3.5 w/ AWD. So I don't see the point of eco-boost for fuel economy purposes. Correct me if I'm wrong please but from the #'s I just don't see it :/

From Fords site:
NA 3.5 AWD - 17/26
Eco-Boost 3.5 AWD - 17/25

I see boost but no eco?

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to have an eco-boost V6. But leave that for an SE with the higher price tag so people can still afford a base model. Just my opinion. Soon we'll all be in electric cars that don't make a sound and are driven by a computer.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

From what I understand the ecoboost program has been more focused on higher performance without sacrificing gas milage. As of cars of the past when fuel injection was introduced the gas milage was focused on but performance was the first real improvement. The technology got better and eventually gas milage went up, performance went up and it was all around a more efficient system. Right now it is in its infancy stages. Give it 5 years and you will see huge gains IMO.

The emissions of the ecoboost is where the "eco" is. The carbon footprint of an ecoboosted 4 cyl producing close to the torque of 6 and 8 cylinders cleaner than its non aspirated bigger brothers.... The next phase will be smaller, more aerodynamic cars and that will only increase performance and gas milage. Will there be an ecoboost 5.0 available? Guess it depends on how much lower the emissions, gas milage etc. compared to a 5.0 now AND if their is a need for it. Peformance wise it has already been proven. The ecoboost in the F150.. The Taurus etc.. are going to be more powerful than the 5.0 we have today in the future. Ford will focus on making big gains with the ecoboost and less gains with the Coyote using the Coyote motor as a base of performance against the ecoboost motors... My theory of course...
Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, guess emissions is a big part and you're right, it still is new. In time we may see better.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ya... and we have a lot right now. esp compared to the chevy and mopar 6cyl.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang