Track first time on Friday - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My friend wanted me to go with him to the track Friday since he has a Civic SI that he's gotten some new mods installed (yes I know lol roll your eyes haha) and I'm gonna take my car as well. My cars completely stock except for the exhaust I put on so I was wondering what my car might run at the moment? Like 15's?
And I just ordered a cai but it won't be in till next week sadly and a tune is coming very soon so I'll be able to see the difference between stock and this two mods put on it.
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: Track first time on Friday

Go for it. You will have a lot of fun. Just don't try to be super duper drag racer until you get a few runs in. Get a little experience and stay safe. Let us all know how you liked it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
GL man. I'm not huge on drag, prefer twisties and turnies but I'd like to run my car every now and than on one. Hate how there's no tracks nearby otherwise I'd be there every weekend! Let us know how it goes and post your times. Should be a learning experience
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I will. kinda nervous since I havent done it before and my friend is giving me some tips so I should be good I hope. But I'll post my times and stuff up after I do it!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Just watch a few races before you get into the staging lanes. Go to the end of the track and see where the turn off is etc.

Dont go through the waterbox. Lower your tire pressure in the rear wheels about 5 pounds to start. Fill the fronts to spec.

Dont be ashamed to tell the stage person it is your first time. They want to see you safe and will give you some good tips.

It will take practice to cut a good light so just get the run down and dont care if you win the first few. Get familiar with the setup of your car and the track. If you like it then next time you can practice the technique and get better.

Most tracks require a helmet that is certified. They also rent them for like 5 bucks but see if your buddy has an extra.

Again. Go see where the turn off is at the end and get familiar with the track. Inside lane always gets the right away at the turn off so even if you win slow down and let him have the right away.

Be safe. You will do fine. Normal to be nervous. Dont stay in it if you feel you have lost control or see smoke coming from your car in your mirrors or in front of you from his lane etc. Not worth crashing!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So went tonight and got 15.6's and 15.8's and my car went to 90 mph on the 1/4. It was fun! My friend kept on messing up trying to get in 2nd gear so he didn't have a good night like he'd hoped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2769168860.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	66527

Name:	image-3942936560.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	66528

Name:	image-1473268811.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	66529
Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

very nice! I actually like those versions of the civics, they look pretty nice with those wheels. Glad you had a fun night and nothing went wrong and lets see how much your mods help.

How does insurance work if you were to wreck?
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
very nice! I actually like those versions of the civics, they look pretty nice with those wheels. Glad you had a fun night and nothing went wrong and lets see how much your mods help.

How does insurance work if you were to wreck?
I want to know this too!
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I don't thinks it's coverd. Best bet is to drag it out to the road. Lol
Whiteboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboss302
+1 lol

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hahaha
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And say some car ran me off the road!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboss302 View Post
I wonder how many "road claims" insurance companies get within 1000 feet of a drag strip....lol.

Tim
Tim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: New York
If your going to race... Here's a tip do not wait till the tree light drops to green your reaction time at that moment will be close to 2 seconds give or take. When the last yellow light comes on give it a split second then dump the clutch your reaction time will be real good.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I knew you would have a lot of fun. 15.6's and eights are very good for the first time out with your Mustang. It's nice when your not being competitive and just relax. You will probably cut at least 1/2 a second off that time when you go again.
Ronnie
Old 09-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboss302 View Post
If you really cause alot of damage insurance companies want a police report....if the cops find your lying couldnt this be insurance fraud? I was never asked if id be racing my car when i signed up for insurance...im surprised. They were more concerned if i would travel across the border....
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

In my fifty years of drag racing and Auto Crossing as well as doing hot laps on many different race tracks I have only seen about ten or less wrecks. I did see a lot of car's blowing engines and Transmissions. Other then the Funny Cars and the Modified cars I don't think I have ever seen a street car wreck. Blow up "YES" but not wreck. When you do hot laps you can buy track insurance to cover you if you wreck but it won't cover blowing the engine or tranny. I never bought it so I don't know what it costs.

When racing SCCA in the late 60's & early 70's I seen A whole lot of people wrecking their race cars but that is totally different then Drag Racing.

My opinion is that if you are going to worry about wrecking your car you should not be out there running in the first place. If you are worried about blowing the engine or transmission you still should not be racing. That don't mean "NOT BEING SAFE AND CAREFUL" It means if you can't afford it "Don't do it"

Rcary had a great time, was thinking safety and was smart enough to start the learning curve so I think he is on the correct track unless the DRAG BUG bites him and he gets ahead of his driving and experience.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang