Benefits of 93 octane in a 3.7? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Don't your cats burn off any unused fuel anyway? Js or I'm just stupid.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Benefits of 93 octane in a 3.7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Don't waste you $$$$$

Government report
here> Federal Report on Using 93 Octane Gas, Instead of 87 Octane Gas - CleanMPG Forums

All of the gas is the same until it goes into the truck. That is when the additives go into the gas to make it different grades. The cleaning agent is the same in all of the gas for a specific brand. The truck driver delivering the gas is the person that adds the additives.

There should be at least one person on this forum that drives a tanker. If so you need to give us the lowdown on this. I got my information from a guy that actually drove a tanker for Eagle Transport here in Florida. He delivered different brands of gas all over the state and south Georgia. There was only one pipe where he picked up the gas and added the brands ingredients depending which brand it was delivered to. The refinery refines the gas and it is piped to distribution centers where the ingredients are added. All the gas is really the same. There are different stuff for different parts of the country as well as summer gas & winter gas. One thing remains constant is they all use a cleaning agent of the brands design.
Gas is refined differently to determine octane,,the truck does do the 89 octane,,thats a mixture of 87 and 93,,but i also heard thats done by the pumps,,when you select 89 it pulls from both tanks,,87 and 93,,which gives you a mixture..

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Don't your cats burn off any unused fuel anyway? Js or I'm just stupid.
yes,,as long as it isnt to much,,then it burns the cats off,,lol,,ive seen vehicles at work with misfires for a while,,literally melt the cat..Then they say well it just started misfiring,,If they had to replace them they probably wouldnt let them misfire like that..some of the trucks are like 2800 dollars to replace..thats with the govt discount,,and us putting them on..
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Gas is refined differently to determine octane,,the truck does do the 89 octane,,thats a mixture of 87 and 93,,but i also heard thats done by the pumps,,when you select 89 it pulls from both tanks,,87 and 93,,which gives you a mixture..

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

yes,,as long as it isnt to much,,then it burns the cats off,,lol,,ive seen vehicles at work with misfires for a while,,literally melt the cat..Then they say well it just started misfiring,,If they had to replace them they probably wouldnt let them misfire like that..some of the trucks are like 2800 dollars to replace..thats with the govt discount,,and us putting them on..
That's when I would go with a Catless system. But would unburned 91-93 octane burn them off. I'm new to this.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Don't waste you $$$$$

Government report
here> Federal Report on Using 93 Octane Gas, Instead of 87 Octane Gas - CleanMPG Forums

All of the gas is the same until it goes into the truck. That is when the additives go into the gas to make it different grades. The cleaning agent is the same in all of the gas for a specific brand. The truck driver delivering the gas is the person that adds the additives.

There should be at least one person on this forum that drives a tanker. If so you need to give us the lowdown on this. I got my information from a guy that actually drove a tanker for Eagle Transport here in Florida. He delivered different brands of gas all over the state and south Georgia. There was only one pipe where he picked up the gas and added the brands ingredients depending which brand it was delivered to. The refinery refines the gas and it is piped to distribution centers where the ingredients are added. All the gas is really the same. There are different stuff for different parts of the country as well as summer gas & winter gas. One thing remains constant is they all use a cleaning agent of the brands design.
The drivers don't do anything to the gas, just deliver it. The small plants or distribution centers don't do anything but add the correct detergents for whichever gas station the loads going to. It's likely that most of the mom and pop stores also carry the same gas as the big name stores but can't advertise the detergents used.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's when I would go with a Catless system. But would unburned 91-93 octane burn them off. I'm new to this.
Any unburned fuel is not good for them
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Cats work by getting super hot and burning off the residue emissions left in the exhaust. When you dump raw fuel into them, you cause them to basically overheat and melt from the inside out. If you have a coolant leak in the exhaust, like a blow head gasket, it will gunk up and clog them. They're finicky devices.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

Cats also get very hot. A state trooper here in Florida not to long ago parked in the grass when it was very dry due to our no rain in a month and his car cought fire. I guess it was KARMA against him for trying to hide and grab people on their way home from work that may have been going a MPH or two over the limit.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6
The original post asked what are the benefits of running 93 octane over 87. Here is my 2 cents...

1. American Muscle tested 87 and 93 with out any mods 93 cause a boost of 6 horse power. Any boost in power is a +.

2. 93 burns better in your combustion chamber. Better combustion mean smoother running engine. SEE NOTE 1

3. The cost is minimal. People talk about the added cost of 93... Lets brake it down. Lets say 87 cost $3 a gallon now 93 is about .25 cents more. So if a tank of 87 cost $48 that means a tank of 93 will cost $52. It you go threw a tank every week it will cost you a mere $4 more to have your engine run cleaner and better.

Just my .02!!!
This is a burger and fries at McDonalds.... priorities people! I think i can eat a pb&j one day out of the week! Lol
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

So why do they have a cat-less system if they are required for most states. I understand strip purposes but not really street. But anyway, higher octane is bad for cats if the car says run regular?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

They sell catless systems cause they know people don't want to pay the extra money for cats. Yes, they're illegal if you use them on a street car. Does anyone really care unless they have emissions testing? No.

Higher octane is not more damaging. Running rich is. Our cars can adjust for rich/lean pretty well since they have wideband oxygen sensors.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

where are you that you don't have emission testing for inspection?
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Kentucky: No inspection at all, no emissions testing.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Alabama doesn't. But the troopers can be mean to us with sports cars. what's rich and lean? Rich is too good. Lean too low?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Not being a treehugger or nothing ,,but if eveybody didnt have cats,,we probably be in pretty bad shape,,exspecially in the cities,,They do help with pollution,,just hate that they cost so dam much to replace ,,thats why people cant afford them
Old 09-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #50
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
what's rich and lean? Rich is too good. Lean too low?
Rich means unburnt gas is going out the tail pipe. Not good, but not as bad as lean.

Lean means that there isn't enough gas in the combustion chamber. When an engine runs lean then it starts to melt pistons and things go "boom" and not in a good way. Better to run too rich than too lean.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Rich means unburnt gas is going out the tail pipe. Not good, but not as bad as lean.

Lean means that there isn't enough gas in the combustion chamber. When an engine runs lean then it starts to melt pistons and things go "boom" and not in a good way. Better to run too rich than too lean.
Stoic = jusssst right. Like Goldie Locks. lol

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
Not being a treehugger or nothing ,,but if eveybody didnt have cats,,we probably be in pretty bad shape,,exspecially in the cities,,They do help with pollution,,just hate that they cost so dam much to replace ,,thats why people cant afford them
I agree. I put headers on my Grand Prix and had to run no cat for a while because of the exhaust setup. When I had my 3" exhaust made for it, I had him weld in a high flow Magnaflow cat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang