Benefits of 93 octane in a 3.7? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Benefits of 93 octane in a 3.7?

Was just wondering what are the real benefits of 93 octane over 87? Just curious as to why I would want to switch. Also is it bad to go back and forth? And what the heck is the point of 89 octane?! Haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: Benefits of 93 octane in a 3.7?

The higher the octane the higher it can compress... Thats why when you tune your car you can tune it for 87,89,91 or 93. When it is tuned for it, the computer will have the cylinders compress at a higher ratio which means you will need that specific octane. So pretty much the higher octane you have and the higher the compression the more power (not a huge amount but noticeable)
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Here's AM's dyno result of 87vs93. Not sure if it was same conditions and etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2966651760.jpg
Views:	2124
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	66014  
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I ran 87 until I was tuned for 93. I doubt you'd feel any difference between them on a stock car. I could be wrong though. Anyone switch and feel a difference on a non tuned car?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Here's AM's dyno result of 87vs93. Not sure if it was same conditions and etc..
Notice that it is with no tunes... So of course a tune will give it an increase.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure there is a part of the GT's computer which senses what octane it is and adjusts to it, i know that the 6ers don't have it though.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Notice that it is with no tunes...
That's why I put it up
Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

So back to OP, it make slight differences here and there but the best scenario would be to tune it to a certain octane to take full advantage... Whenever my dad puts 91 (highest we can get in Cali) in our Vette he says he can feel a slight improvement in acceleration... Different car but i guess it applies to this lol.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So back to OP, it make slight differences here and there but the best scenario would be to tune it to a certain octane to take full advantage...
My thinking as well
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm trying to justify the extra cost so why would anyone ever get 89?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
I ran 87 until I was tuned for 93. I doubt you'd feel any difference between them on a stock car. I could be wrong though. Anyone switch and feel a difference on a non tuned car?
On a non tuned pickup the only notice I saw was two more Mpg's. Then I put the tuner on and gained a bunch with my 93 octane tune. My roush calls for 93 octane and so far that's all I have used in it.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

My current car (2000 Contour SVT) requires 93 octane, but I've used 87 in it also. I noticed no difference under regular driving conditions, and lately I've been switching back and forth every other week with no issues as of yet. When I get my Mustang I plan to use 87 to save money as even 87 octane is almost $4/gallon.
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I dropped mpg with premium. It gave me more torque down low, or I'm just using psychological gains. I put it in the tank twice a year and run non ethanol when I do to clean it out. I know my junk from my dad who was born in the tail end of 64. But times have changed...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

I have been using 87 octane since I bought my car. For the 2,819.5 miles I now have on my V6 MCA Automatic since brand new I have used 97.304 gallons of 87 octane gas. The cost was a total of $345.14 which is 8.169 cents per mile. 28.976 Miles per Gallon.

This covers all types of driving, Around town, Highway, on ramp full acceleration, Flooring while passing, and just driving without trying to save on gas mileage.

In some gas stations here in Florida as well as some going up I-95 I notice that premium 93 octane was as much as 45 cents more per gallon then the 87 octane. At one station it was 55 cents more. I think I'm gonna just stick with the 87 octane because my car runs good on it with no spark knock or pinging at all.

I will do another long term check after I get about 7,500 miles or so on my car because it should be good and broke in by then.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I can only get 91 here and not 93 for high octane. I have only 850 miles on my car and have put in 3 tanks of gas, each time at a 1/4 tank left. I never run it down to empty if I can help it. That said I have only put in 91 octane. My last mustang required 91 and it is a force of habit I guess... The higher octane is also a cleaner gas and should help not clog up your fuel system but I have run regular in cars past 150,000 and not had gummed injectors etc. I think if you change the filter, put in sea foam, lucas injector cleaner or another quality brand fuel system treatment in every 30,000 or whatever your scheduled filter change than regular is fine. I have seen a little better milage with 91 and 93 (when I could get it back east) but when you broke it down to cost it really equaled out to the same price per gallon, the only advantage being cleaner (hopefully) fuel.

As others said, WIth a tune it is a must to buy the premium but there will be a slight increase in HP due to the fact that the timing is advanced which allows for more spark.

Also, If you look at the top of the dyno runs from AM they were run a day apart within the same hour. January in PA is not really hot outside.. lol. I think the conditions were pretty even.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

If your running 91+ octane and your car doesn't have a little sticker saying only 91+ octane or a tune you can have deposits form in your engine and on your injector because your timing isn't advanced far enough to completely combust the fuel
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Detination can and will happen when you put your foot into it and that could damage internal parts... The engine will be running lean (more air than fuel) and can make it a real bad situation. Never a good idea. That said, Even worse is if you have forced induction.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if the car cant modify the tune for it then it wont do anything but cost you more
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

other than keep your fuel system cleaner that is...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Why not just sea foam it and take your cai off and clean it with it as well. Worked wonders on my 02. I ran plus or the medium octane and no ethanal in my new mustang the first 4 months. I averaged a fill up every two weeks. With regular ethanol it's about a week and a half. Premium no ethanol lasted M-F if best. I guess our engines vary slightly.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

temp, altitude, driving conditions, road, driver... all take into gas milage...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
The higher the octane the higher it can compress... Thats why when you tune your car you can tune it for 87,89,91 or 93. When it is tuned for it, the computer will have the cylinders compress at a higher ratio which means you will need that specific octane. So pretty much the higher octane you have and the higher the compression the more power (not a huge amount but noticeable)
This is not true. A tune will not change compression ratio. Compression ratio is determined by engine components not engine software.

Different Octanes are for the relative amount of timing AND compression. Higher compression means lower burning temps of the fuel. Therefore timing must be advanced or retarded based on how hot the motor is running (this is not he sole basis but it is a main one).

Now I'm no master at engine timing by any means but the more advanced timing will cause an engine to run hotter and if the engine runs hotter a lower octane fuel is more likely to detonate prematurely, hence the term detonation. Using a higher octane fuel requires more heat and compression to ignite (technically the term for what gasoline does in a motor is deflagration), therefore it has much lower probability of detonation and will deflagrate as it should.

So vehicle with low timing and compression can run lower grade fuels and as compression and timing increase and advance, higher levels of octane are required.

The dodge "hemi" engines require midgrade or 89 but can also use premium (91+)

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
There would absolutely be no difference
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don't waste you $$$$$

Government report
here> Federal Report on Using 93 Octane Gas, Instead of 87 Octane Gas - CleanMPG Forums

All of the gas is the same until it goes into the truck. That is when the additives go into the gas to make it different grades. The cleaning agent is the same in all of the gas for a specific brand. The truck driver delivering the gas is the person that adds the additives.

There should be at least one person on this forum that drives a tanker. If so you need to give us the lowdown on this. I got my information from a guy that actually drove a tanker for Eagle Transport here in Florida. He delivered different brands of gas all over the state and south Georgia. There was only one pipe where he picked up the gas and added the brands ingredients depending which brand it was delivered to. The refinery refines the gas and it is piped to distribution centers where the ingredients are added. All the gas is really the same. There are different stuff for different parts of the country as well as summer gas & winter gas. One thing remains constant is they all use a cleaning agent of the brands design.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

1+ don't waste your money unless you have 93 octane tune
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty View Post
If your running 91+ octane and your car doesn't have a little sticker saying only 91+ octane or a tune you can have deposits form in your engine and on your injector because your timing isn't advanced far enough to completely combust the fuel
Thats not true,,if you leave 93 in your car,,it will eventually move the timing up for the higher octane,,while your driving your computer will constantly look for the best table for your injectors..each time you step on it ,,it look for the most it can do before pinging,,and then adjust itself,,if you put 93 in it will adjust for the higher octane..
Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Thats not true,,if you leave 93 in your car,,it will eventually move the timing up for the higher octane,,while your driving your computer will constantly look for the best table for your injectors..each time you step on it ,,it look for the most it can do before pinging,,and then adjust itself,,if you put 93 in it will adjust for the higher octane..
Makes sense as when I went from plus to regular it had to almost adjust over a period of time. Now it takes regular ethanol. I'm gonna back this guy from personal experience lol
Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
its true IF the car's computer is setup to handle and check for higher octane, some are and some just wont do anything but run the default table and only pull timing if the knock sensor is triggered~ so it all just depends on if the car will do it. I know my 03 cobra wont (and it has no knock sensor BUT IS SUPERCHARGED.... HA!)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

So what's the point of 89?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

LOL!!! OK
Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
Road Trip!

The original post asked what are the benefits of running 93 octane over 87. Here is my 2 cents...

1. American Muscle tested 87 and 93 with out any mods 93 cause a boost of 6 horse power. Any boost in power is a +.

2. 93 burns better in your combustion chamber. Better combustion mean smoother running engine. SEE NOTE 1

3. The cost is minimal. People talk about the added cost of 93... Lets brake it down. Lets say 87 cost $3 a gallon now 93 is about .25 cents more. So if a tank of 87 cost $48 that means a tank of 93 will cost $52. It you go threw a tank every week it will cost you a mere $4 more to have your engine run cleaner and better.

Just my .02!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

If your engine isn't set up for higher octanes than your not totally combusting the fuel so it's not keeping your engine clean
Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
If your engine isn't set up for higher octanes than your not totally combusting the fuel so it's not keeping your engine clean
Well, I am!!! Bama 93 race with CAI
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #33

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty View Post
Just one question, if your engine is not combusting 93/91 octane as well as it will 87 octane then where does the extra 6 horsepower come from?? Sounds like the engine is more efficient.

D Berry
Redd Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

The way i look at it ,,I treat my baby as though a queen,,so she gets 93,,regardless of much difference..Yes you can live on hamburger,(87 octane),but steak taste better(93 octane),,lol..As long as own her shell always have steak..
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Here is another link:

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

apparently they all say the same thing. :
If your engine is designed to use regular you are only wasting your $$$$$ putting in the premium gas.

You only need premium if your engine knocks on regular.

Of course if you mod and tune you will probably need premium.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang