Which CAI, Axleback, MOD, Rant - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Which CAI, Axleback, MOD, Rant

For starters, run a search. If you ran a search and found this thread congrats. This is what I learned thus far:

Cai without a tune is a waste of money, regardless of what the mfg says. You may gain or lose a few hp, either way, it is NOT noticeable. With a tune and when paired with catback exhaust you should gain avg 15-20 hp and you will be happy with your purchases, otherwise, the 3.7 will feel different but that may not necessarily be better.

Without the tune it will just sound better, CAI makes a cool sucking and/or whistling sound and btw, again, you may even lose a few HP and there is not a real difference in power or acceleration.

Axleback alone, the car will sound better but that's it. Really no noticeable hp gain. Really.

Axleback exhaust and CAI are light mods but are among the first mods you should do. If you are not sure which, here is the break down; You want the car to be faster, go with CAI and a tuner at first. Those will give you the biggest gains for the money. Yes, the tuner is a PITA but it will work eventually.

Changing rear end gears will also actaully make the car faster in the real world but will lower the mpg with 3:73 or 4:10 gears. Weigh it. Also, tuner is required for this mod. Gears are cheap but installation is avg $400.

You want the car to sound better go with CAI and Axleback. Note; some brands "sound" different from one another but all do just about the same thing. Do some research and figure out which one sounds the best to you for the money you have to spend.

Long and short of it: without a tune the car may "feel" better but will not be noticeably faster. Period. Anyone who says any different is full of *****. Doesn't matter which brand you buy of either upgrade, performance wise, regardless of the hype. You will not feel 4hp. Don't buy into the hype of someone trying to sell you their products. If you do, then buy the $5 chip and $50 supercharger from ebay and let your imagination run wild. You can race ZR1 Corvette's now.

Finally, run an fng search because this subject has been discussed to death and the next time a noob asks about it I will fng YAK on my leather interior.

All that and I didn't even mention suspension upgrades.......
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Jeeezus I can't wait
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Which CAI, Axleback, MOD, Rant

Very well put. Pretty much any upgrade will make the owner swear their car is faster, its just your mind justifying the hundreds of dollars you just spent.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Im thinking of getting a cai. Thx for the info as you have been a great help again! Love my 2013 candy apple red stang! I thought it was just a straight"bolt on" no tune required hp additive. Is k@n the way to go?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Anyone looking to buy a CAI should watch this:

Steeda which is the only CAI I've seen that's tune required is the best to go with it seems. From what I've seen, it gives over 10hp more then regular CAI's (both tuned) which only give a 2-3hp increase over stock airbox with a tune.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
Very well put. Pretty much any upgrade will make the owner swear their car is faster, its just your mind justifying the hundreds of dollars you just spent.
+1 I always am skeptical when getting a new performance mod. I always expect less. After I added my JLT way back when, I was very disappointed. It was the only thing I regret buying for my car. It did nothing but make a semi-cool sound. Since then, I've been against those regular cold air kits like airraid, jlt, etc.. If buying for looks then I can understand. But don't expect your car to be any faster.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

i search this forum all the time, and get older threads. i guess i can apply it to my new 13, but new models come out. I'm trying to decide which CAI and i heard mixed opinions. I'm trying to find the one with the biggest diameter tube, and combine it with the bbk 73mm throttle body, and tune. I like the magnaflow streets, but they only come in catback like i mentioned on another post. may have to hold off on that, not comfortable gettin under the car and removing pipes..lol. i hope by buying all that to the intake i'm not wasting money becasue i'm leaving the exhaust. i'll change that soon enough i guess. good post btw.
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I love how you summarized everything anyone has ever said on these forums and cut out the crap. I like that. I knew all this before hand but that, that was beautiful. Now we just gotta delete all the useless other threads lol
Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
For starters, run a search. If you ran a search and found this thread congrats. This is what I learned thus far:

Cai without a tune is a waste of money, regardless of what the mfg says. You may gain or lose a few hp, either way, it is NOT noticeable. With a tune and when paired with catback exhaust you should gain avg 15-20 hp and you will be happy with your purchases, otherwise, the 3.7 will feel different but that may not necessarily be better.

Without the tune it will just sound better, CAI makes a cool sucking and/or whistling sound and btw, again, you may even lose a few HP and there is not a real difference in power or acceleration.

Axleback alone, the car will sound better but that's it. Really no noticeable hp gain. Really.

Axleback exhaust and CAI are light mods but are among the first mods you should do. If you are not sure which, here is the break down; You want the car to be faster, go with CAI and a tuner at first. Those will give you the biggest gains for the money. Yes, the tuner is a PITA but it will work eventually.

Changing rear end gears will also actaully make the car faster in the real world but will lower the mpg with 3:73 or 4:10 gears. Weigh it. Also, tuner is required for this mod. Gears are cheap but installation is avg $400.

You want the car to sound better go with CAI and Axleback. Note; some brands "sound" different from one another but all do just about the same thing. Do some research and figure out which one sounds the best to you for the money you have to spend.

Long and short of it: without a tune the car may "feel" better but will not be noticeably faster. Period. Anyone who says any different is full of *****. Doesn't matter which brand you buy of either upgrade, performance wise, regardless of the hype. You will not feel 4hp. Don't buy into the hype of someone trying to sell you their products. If you do, then buy the $5 chip and $50 supercharger from ebay and let your imagination run wild. You can race ZR1 Corvette's now.

Finally, run an fng search because this subject has been discussed to death and the next time a noob asks about it I will fng YAK on my leather interior.

+11
Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

I'm new to this forum. I can see I'm going to like it here.....LOL.

Tim
Tim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11

Thank you red! Lets move on people!!!
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Axelbacks = 0 hp gain. It's all about sound
Cai= pretty under hood, beater breathing (minimal on new cars), better throttle response, Hp gain you will never feel. Does sound a bit more aggressive.
Tune= can't comment because I haven't experienced it. Combined with tune apparently is the best combo ( gains after having cai will be almost non existent but will wake the car up. AM says this in there videos. )

Moral of story: ask questions, get opinions, research and do what makes you happy.

You live and you learn.

Now it's football time.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
^also increase mpg by a smidge. The tuner whips am automatic into shape and the cai just gives 1-3 mpg gains.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #13

Region: Illinois

I have to admit that tunes are the best bang for the buck available. Had a 2011 v6 that went 9.50s in the eighth mile, put 3.55 gears in it and it went 9.40s. So I put a 87 octane Bama tune in it and it went 9,00s/9.10s, it was unreal you'd swear it wasn't the same car. Even went into the 8.90s a couple of times, I wouldn't have thought it possible, I mean how much horsepower would that take?

D Berry
Redd Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I thought my axle backs made it a bit faster, but at the same time the drag was dropped from .36 to >.31, which was also incredibly noticeable. Also, pulling out of Roush with an ugly cheap 6 that sounded like an 8, with a beautiful face, and me getting on the road, it may just FEEL faster.

One thing I have noticed is now when I push the car, it feels like it needs more air. I used to get on it and it went, now it still goes, ands feels a bit quicker, but it is like she is struggling for air, an athlete gasping after a run. Hopefully my CAI will have some affect over factory intake- I know at the least the surface area of the air intake will be greater. I understand this thread, it must be aggravating when people get a new car, and jump on here and ask the same question some else did the day before.

Maybe adding some info from other talks to the main post, or links to comparisons. I doubt people will search instead of asking for comparisons. I know the intake I am getting, but seriously, a few horsepower DOES matter. Imagine going cheap or junky and missing 3 horsepower. On ten mods. That's 30 hp by the end. In my opinion, it does matter, and I would want to know, but it is also frustrating when people don't have facts, proper spelling/grammar, or really know what they are talking about. notice how I didn't say anything as a fact? Because I don't know it as a fact lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
if its worth noting i barely noticed my performance. I think its mainly because I have a muffler delete so I wasnt persuaded by a new sound. Id suggest a tune first and foremost
Dgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You'll feel the tune and gears. The rest is debatable.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005
You'll feel the tune and gears. The rest is debatable.
+1
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You can also feel drag reductions. Just like horsepower, it depends on the amount you change it by, but if one does a bunch of changes at one time, one really notices it.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai