Aluminum Driveshafts - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0

Clutch is working great, grabs like a killer gorilla!
Jaja awesome
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Aluminum Driveshafts

Does anyone know how much the AM discount is im looking to get their driveshaft, its the last thing on my list I don't have anything else i can do. I heard shaftmaster is not making driveshafts for our car anymore.
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1
Does anyone know how much the AM discount is im looking to get their driveshaft, its the last thing on my list I don't have anything else i can do. I heard shaftmaster is not making driveshafts for our car anymore.
6% if im not mistaken
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

6% if im not mistaken
You are correct sir

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone have the Axleexchange one or the Driveshaftshop on
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have the one from American Muscle. Put it on about two months ago along with the Bama performance tune. It's much more responsive acceleration wise and a heck of a lot smoother. Definitely grab a friend to help you install the new one tho. Another pair of hands is very helpful sliding it in and bolting it on
davidn7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Is it easy to install or is it worth to have a shop install it
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I think the new v6's trap between 100 and 105mph stock, right? Just thinking that only another 25mph could mean kablammo, would make me want to swap it out. That's even if I never planned to go up in that mph range. That might be one mod that definitely increases value.

Ford must have really gotten a deal on parts and materials to make a two piece driveshaft. Seems like with the u joint fittings needed and bearings, that it would cost more to use the two piece. You know how companies are always trying to reduce costs.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I think the new v6's trap between 100 and 105mph stock, right? Just thinking that only another 25mph could mean kablammo, would make me want to swap it out. That's even if I never planned to go up in that mph range. That might be one mod that definitely increases value.

Ford must have really gotten a deal on parts and materials to make a two piece driveshaft. Seems like with the u joint fittings needed and bearings, that it would cost more to use the two piece. You know how companies are always trying to reduce costs.
I think it's more about comfort in 'Muscle Car'

Old 09-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is it easy to install or is it worth to have a shop install it
No it's pretty easy. Four bolts on the front, four bolts on the back and slide it out. To put the new one, I had to unbolt one bracket on the exhaust to slide it in but that was simple. The reason for that was because the new one piece doesn't flex and bend like the old one which if you ask me is a good thing. Only reason I say it is good to have two sets of hands is nor them to hold it in place while you slip the bolts in but it's very simple. Took us less than an hour
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

The swap is easy the only thing is you need a flange pulled to pull the flange from the differential and put the one for the aluminum drive shaft on and look in the directions for the torque spec for that flange otherwise u over tighten u will screw up the pinion gear.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

its like 117 or so with the governor
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

Hi David,
Did you have to pull the flange to install the AM shaft?
gregtommy said:

Quote:
the only thing is you need a flange pulled to pull the flange from the differential and put the one for the aluminum drive shaft on and look in the directions for the torque spec for that flange otherwise u over tighten u will screw up the pinion gear.
When I read the instructions on American Muscle it said nothing about changing or removing a Flange.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Hi David,
gregtommy said:

When I read the instructions on American Muscle it said nothing about changing or removing a Flange.

Ronnie
Yeah I got the one for the mustang gt from American muscle and it required the rear flange to be changed out. Now I don't know what the v6 requires or if it is the same.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hi David,
gregtommy said:

Ronnie
No I didn't have to change anything else or mess with the flange. It Just bolted right up on mine but I have the v6
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidn7488 View Post
No I didn't have to change anything else or mess with the flange. It Just bolted right up on mine but I have the v6
David I didn't notice, but do you have the driveshaft from Axle-Exchange? If so what are the improvement that you have noticed?
Is it worth the money?

Thanks
SALLUCCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALLUCCI

David I didn't notice, but do you have the driveshaft from Axle-Exchange? If so what are the improvement that you have noticed?
Is it worth the money?

Thanks
I'm not sure of the maker of the driveshaft. It is the one that is offered by American Muscle on their website.

Improvement-wise , I noticed that annoying vibration in the drivetrain when letting off of the gas is barely there. Acceleration is much smoother. While it may not add horsepower, it does feel a little quicker to respond when you hit the gas and it definitely revs up faster. I wish I would've had the money earlier to do it as soon as I bought the car
Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197

They are cheap too... yikes..

New PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft with unique CV-joint design at rear, fits Shelby GT500 and 05+ S197 Mustang V6, GT, or Roush.

PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197
2007-2012 Shelby GT500
Printable Version

Click over image to enlarge Price : $1,149.00

Weight : 15.00 lbs

I think the aluminum one is 19 pounds

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

okay, i lied, it was 20 pounds
Ford Mustang 2011-2012 Aluminum Driveshaft 3.5" V8 GT Direct Bolt-In
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidn7488 View Post
I'm not sure of the maker of the driveshaft. It is the one that is offered by American Muscle on their website.

Improvement-wise , I noticed that annoying vibration in the drivetrain when letting off of the gas is barely there. Acceleration is much smoother. While it may not add horsepower, it does feel a little quicker to respond when you hit the gas and it definitely revs up faster. I wish I would've had the money earlier to do it as soon as I bought the car
Thanks David I appreciate your response. Just installed the same driveshaft yesterday! I do notice the vibration is almost gone, the smoothness of the drivetrain, but I haven't noticed the quicker acceleration. I need more drive time I'll keep ya posted!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Does anyone know the weight of the factory drive shaft?

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
Bout 40 lbs
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #57
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

To be exact it weighs 43 pounds

Somebody on one of these forums has a photo of the stock V6 drive shaft off of a 2012 and it is on his scale weighing in at a nice hefty 43 pounds exact.

When I can get enough $$$ together I'm going to get one just because of the weight difference. Spinning 19 pounds is a lot better then spinning 43 pounds any way you look at it.

Ronnie
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Somebody on one of these forums has a photo of the stock V6 drive shaft off of a 2012 and it is on his scale weighing in at a nice hefty 43 pounds exact.

When I can get enough $$$ together I'm going to get one just because of the weight difference. Spinning 19 pounds is a lot better then spinning 43 pounds any way you look at it.

Ronnie
+1. I just wish it was cheaper, 700 is a lot for it, in my opinion.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
+1. I just wish it was cheaper, 700 is a lot for it, in my opinion.

I know i still haven't got it overpriced for sure they know ours are weak so i guarantee you they jack up the prices
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #60
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't think it cost to much

It is a large chunk of aluminum to start with. It has to be machined down and then both ends need yokes. Everything needs to be balanced to perfection. Then it needs to be packaged for shipping to the dealer. The manufacturer needs to make a living, Then they send it to a dealer, The dealer needs to make a living. The dealer sells it to you for $689.99 and "AM" will give you a 6% discount and send it to you all packaged up for no charge shipping.

The cost to you will be $648 59 from American Muscle. When you consider how many V6 Mustang owners are going to replace the drive shaft it is not a bad deal at all.

Ronnie
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As I said earlier I had just installed a new driveshaft from AM. I have a 2013 V6 manual and the weight of a stock driveshaft is about 28lbs! Not sure if Ford did any changes to the 2013 driveshaft after hearing all the complaints!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #62
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Was your stock shaft ONE PIECE???

The 2011 & 2012's have a two piece drive shaft that is 43 pounds. If yours off of your 2013 V6 is a one piece and only weighs in at 28 pounds it probably means that Ford changed them.

Did your original drive shaft look like this one"

Ronnie
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That'd be something if Ford upgraded the DS on the 13. Someone with a 13 needs to take a pic
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Can the stock 13 v6 driveshaft handle high speeds of over 125 plus without exploding through the floor like in the 11 models?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is a large chunk of aluminum to start with. It has to be machined down and then both ends need yokes. Everything needs to be balanced to perfection. Then it needs to be packaged for shipping to the dealer. The manufacturer needs to make a living, Then they send it to a dealer, The dealer needs to make a living. The dealer sells it to you for $689.99 and "AM" will give you a 6% discount and send it to you all packaged up for no charge shipping.

The cost to you will be $648 59 from American Muscle. When you consider how many V6 Mustang owners are going to replace the drive shaft it is not a bad deal at all.

Ronnie
I get all of this, lol. I am just saying 700 is a LOT for what it is. A replaced drive shaft. For me it would be my most expensive single mod yet.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The 2011 & 2012's have a two piece drive shaft that is 43 pounds. If yours off of your 2013 V6 is a one piece and only weighs in at 28 pounds it probably means that Ford changed them.

Ronnie
Ford did changes the driveshaft as mine was only 28lbs with a joint at the center without the carrier bearing! I will say that I still notice less vibration and just a smoothness about the AM shaft! Thanks for the pics as it made it easier to distinquish the difference.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALLUCCI

Ford did changes the driveshaft as mine was only 28lbs with a joint at the center without the carrier bearing! I will say that I still notice less vibration and just a smoothness about the AM shaft! Thanks for the pics as it made it easier to distinquish the difference.
Do you happen to know your car's max speed from the factory?
CurbRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I get all of this, lol. I am just saying 700 is a LOT for what it is. A replaced drive shaft. For me it would be my most expensive single mod yet.

You really dont need it, it should be like one of the last mods on your car i have everything on mine and i haven't had an issue. Unless your going to put a procharger on you will be fine
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You really dont need it, it should be like one of the last mods on your car i have everything on mine and i haven't had an issue. Unless your going to put a procharger on you will be fine
I would love to drop the rotational mass of it. I do not care about high speed, I think the fastest she has been is 86. I just want to be more efficient.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

Ronnie
That drive shaft is out of a 12 GT. Just so y'all know.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang