Aluminum Driveshafts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Aluminum Driveshafts

Has anyone installed an aluminum driveshaft? If so which one and have you notice a difference? Looking to install one in my 2013 but want to make sure I pick the best one!
Thanks
SALLUCCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Have you looked into the carbon fiber ones from the 13 GT500's?
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: Aluminum Driveshafts

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197

They are cheap too... yikes..

New PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft with unique CV-joint design at rear, fits Shelby GT500 and 05+ S197 Mustang V6, GT, or Roush.

PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197
2007-2012 Shelby GT500
Printable Version

Click over image to enlarge Price : $1,149.00

Weight : 15.00 lbs
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok ok dont got carbon fiber jaja. That's freakin expensive. Sooo light though. How much does an aluminum usually weigh?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yeah those CF ones are a bit pricey. It's CF though so what do you expect? Not sure of the weight on the aluminum ones. But they sure are cheaper!

http://focus.c-f-m.com/driveshaft-sh...nd-manual.aspx

Also, AM's got one of coarse that's a bit cheaper made by Axle-Exchange. Not sure what the better brand is but sure you couldn't go wrong with either.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well this ones better that 11 1/2, but yeah your right on what to expect being CF and all. Yeah they do, sucks its not for the 99 Cobras though =\
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It really depends on what you are going to do with the car and how deep you want to go speed and cash wise. If you plan on forging the bottom and using forced induction, the best of everything then I say it is just another drop in the bucket. Are looking for the most potential out of your car, need it as light as possible etc? If so, then the CF one is the only choice hands down.

If you are looking for some nice gains in torque, safety, freeing up some power for spirited driving at the track etc... Go with the aluminum.

I have had an aluminum DS on an 06 with a full drag suspension in the car and I will tell you that when the DS was added I had a considerable amount of Noise added, a little vibration and harshness when the car was on decel and accel too. I would do it again though as it made the engine wind up much more freely and I could feel the difference in torque.

Also, Plan for a safety loop too. Cheap and well worth keeping it safe and smart to install when doing the shaft so you dont have to remove it to install a loop later on.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

I have seen the ones from The Driveshaft Shop with the CV-Joint. Does anyone have one installed and what do you think it? How has it performed and how durable has it been?
SALLUCCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

V6 stock driveshaft is What????? 43 pounds??? DuH!!!! really// 43 pounds. What the hell was some idiot at Ford thinking?? Is there a reason that a drive shaft weighs 43 pounds??

Sorry, I'm in shock.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What is the top speed on the am shafts
Jmusc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197

They are cheap too... yikes..

New PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft with unique CV-joint design at rear, fits Shelby GT500 and 05+ S197 Mustang V6, GT, or Roush.

PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for GT500 & 05+ S197
2007-2012 Shelby GT500
Printable Version

Click over image to enlarge Price : $1,149.00

Weight : 15.00 lbs

go with aluminum it's only 4 pounds heavier and costs 400 bucks less.
unless you've got money to blow, then replace your entire body with carbon fiber. and buy some carbon fiber mugs...
you get what i'm saying

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Yeah those CF ones are a bit pricey. It's CF though so what do you expect? Not sure of the weight on the aluminum ones. But they sure are cheaper!

DSS 1-Piece Aluminum or Carbon Fiber Driveshaft for 2011-13 Mustang V6 3.7L Auto & Manual

Also, AM's got one of coarse that's a bit cheaper made by Axle-Exchange. Not sure what the better brand is but sure you couldn't go wrong with either.
it's 1124 for the carbon fiber, still cheaper at AM
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

Are you planning on disconnecting the Speed Limitier?
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone need to drive faster then the limiter? Just sayin.. :/
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
Does anyone need to drive faster then the limiter? Just sayin.. :/
Me. Because once you go 155. You'll want to be there again. 125 just don't cut it anymore
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Me. Because once you go 155. You'll want to be there again. 125 just don't cut it anymore
Hopefully not on the streets!! That's just not smart.. But hey if you're on a track or the autobahn then by all means, get the DS and the limiter removed and have fun!! Just be careful
Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have an aluminum drive shaft, bolted up to a tremec magnum xl in my 2012 gt. After i twisted the stock drive shaft I'll give this setup a go for a while. IMO, keep a drive shaft simple. No need to make something that's supposed to do one job, so complicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-255837081.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	68359   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1593482531.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	68360  

2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hopefully not on the streets!! That's just not smart.. But hey if you're on a track or the autobahn then by all means, get the DS and the limiter removed and have fun!! Just be careful
Right the autobaugh
That's where he was
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0
I have an aluminum drive shaft, bolted up to a tremec magnum xl in my 2012 gt. After i twisted the stock drive shaft I'll give this setup a go for a while. IMO, keep a drive shaft simple. No need to make something that's supposed to do one job, so complicated.
Dayum, was this off the line?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Dayum, was this off the line?
The whole drive train issue happened at roughly 11k miles.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My 98 Corvette coupe at the Daytona track (Backstretch)

273 ratio automatic LS1 engine. 1998 Corvette with Magnaflows, X-pipe, Hypertech power programed, and a Blackwing CAI.

At the drags in Bowling green Kentucky 1/4 in 12.7
At the drags in Gainesville Florida 1/4 in 12.6

I really loved my Corvette but it started costing me a fortune when things not pertaining to the engine/drive train started falling apart such as $125.00 to replace the oil pressure sender, And they wanted $3,500 plus maybe more to repair the two actuators and air conditioner parts under the dash. I did not want my dash torn apart and not put back together properly by the idiot mechanic at the Chevy dealer so I traded it on my Mini John Cooper Works little rocket ship.

The door speaker, The 12 disk CD changer, The leather seats coming apart, and starting to get more rattles then a covered wagon made me decide to do the trade. I also seen some Mini "S" cars that all I could see was their taillight's when they passed me in the road course turns. When I seen the Factory JCW was available I bought one.

Now my track days are over and I just needed an automatic transmission and a great looking drivers car I decided on getting a new Focus Titanium but when I saw the Mustang I bought sitting there I had to have it. A V6 automatic MCA edition that is Candy red with a fawn interior. It was love at first sight. I actually go into my garage at times just to look at how pretty my mustang is. I have been averaging a total of 28.976 MPG for the 2,819.5 miles I have on it. Using 87 octane only.

I already put on magnaflow streets, A K&N drop in air filter and a few other mod's to get my Mustang my way.

I will probably get a nice light one piece aluminum drive shaft in the future. ( NOT FOR THE TOP SPEED SAFETY BUT FOR A MUCH LIGHTER OBJECT FOR THE ENGINE TO BE TURNING OVER ) The 43 pound stock drive shaft has got to take a lot of horsepower and torque from the engine just to get the car moving.

DOES ANYONE WITH THE ONE PIECE ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT HAVE VIBRATION PROBLEMS AT ALL>???
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I would me more concerned about the driveshaft twisting in a 5.0 esp if you gear it and you launch it hard. Torque is the killer, not HP. The reason why I went with an aluminum driveshaft in my prior car was because it was more of a drag car than a daily driver. The speed limiter on these cars are high enough for the 1/4 but not if you are going to road course it depending on the track I guess. Personally, I would do it for safety if you plan on removing the limiter on the V6.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I may be wrong but I thought that the GT's came with a one piece steel drive shaft.

Maybe someone could inform us.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The whole drive train issue happened at roughly 11k miles.
Warranty covered though right?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It was in my moms 1971 454 big block vert. That thing is a 4 speed monster. I was 14 and my dad was driving. So scary and the seats are white lol drag strip @ the Chevellabration car show in TN. But in my stang I've went 125 for about a minute then slowed down due to it being night. If your reckless and careful, your a good driver.......YOLO....
Hell yea!!! Fastest I've gone is 120
It wasn't very controllable
Suspension needs work before I go that fast again and d shaft
Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Hell yea!!! Fastest I've gone is 120
It wasn't very controllable
Suspension needs work before I go that fast again and d shaft
A good suspension setup will fix that. My car feels great at those high speeds. It doesn't even feel like you're doing 120. Very smooth, controllable and flat. Never had my car up that high on stock suspension to really compare though. Not on a curve or for very long anyway to get a good feel.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A good suspension setup will fix that. My car feels great at those high speeds. It doesn't even feel like you're doing 120. Very smooth, controllable and flat. Never had my car up that high on stock suspension to really compare though. Not on a curve or for very long anyway to get a good feel.
Mine is smooth at those speeds. Ten again I have one of the best passenger car tires on the market. My car can take a Harsh turn at about 65-70 but it gets a little skiddish and scary
Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mine is smooth at those speeds. Ten again I have one of the best passenger car tires on the market. My car can take a Harsh turn at about 65-70 but it gets a little skiddish and scary
I only brought it up to like 100ish once or twice and only for a second, on stock suspension but didn't think it felt bad at all from what I remember. And tires make a big improvement as well. What are you running?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I only brought it up to like 100ish once or twice and only for a second, on stock suspension but didn't think it felt bad at all from what I remember. And tires make a big improvement as well. What are you running?
Michelin defender. Not a performance tire but damn they grip the road
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Warranty covered though right?
Warranty did not cover it, I'm still fighting that to this day. Took my car to a different dealer today for an oil change. Told them about the dealer I had been going to, the new dealer pulled up any all warranty claims they could, there was no history of any warranty claims ever submitted to ford. Service advisor gave me a number to ford warranty department I'll be calling them in the morning. Crossing my fingers for a decent turn out.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I may be wrong but I thought that the GT's came with a one piece steel drive shaft.

Maybe someone could inform us.
The stock drive shaft that came out of my 2012 was a two piece drive shaft. Picture below. I bought a new one to replace the twisted one before knowing the mt82 had gone south also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1079563335.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	68425  
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Warranty did not cover it, I'm still fighting that to this day. Took my car to a different dealer today for an oil change. Told them about the dealer I had been going to, the new dealer pulled up any all warranty claims they could, there was no history of any warranty claims ever submitted to ford. Service advisor gave me a number to ford warranty department I'll be calling them in the morning. Crossing my fingers for a decent turn out.
Those chicki bastards. Freaking dill holes that dont do there jobs. Hope all goes well my friend

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote:

The stock drive shaft that came out of my 2012 was a two piece drive shaft. Picture below. I bought a new one to replace the twisted one before knowing the mt82 had gone south also.
And the MT82? Sir did you break it?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Last time I went 100 I had stock tires and suspension
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Those chicki bastards. Freaking dill holes that dont do there jobs. Hope all goes well my friend

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

And the MT82? Sir did you break it?
The problem with the mt82 was it made a sound like bearings or some thing had gone out, when drivin sounded like a supercharger was under the car, never felt safe. The mt82 was taken out and replaced with a tremec magnum xl, mated up to a McLeod RST Twin Disc. All this money for one dealer telling a lie.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The problem with the mt82 was it made a sound like bearings or some thing had gone out, when drivin sounded like a supercharger was under the car, never felt safe. The mt82 was taken out and replaced with a tremec magnum xl, mated up to a McLeod RST Twin Disc. All this money for one dealer telling a lie.
Morons man all morons. How's that twin disk working out? They loom bad a**
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Morons man all morons. How's that twin disk working out? They loom bad a**
Clutch is working great, grabs like a killer gorilla! Clutch engagement and disengagement is no stiffer than stock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang