bogging problem at high revs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
bogging problem at high revs?

Hi everyone i need to pick some brains about an issue that i have noticed! I have a 2013 v6 and noticed that it will sometimes feel like its bogging at higher rpms. (3800-6000) range. I thought maybe it was the advance trac so i shut it off and it was all good, but it did it again last night! Any ideas? Thx in advance.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Auto or manual? Let's start there.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, manual. Also sometimes when i pull in the garage and turn it off it shuts down a little rough. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not an expert by any means but, mine shuts down kinda rough. My problem is the exhaust. I straight piped mine for about a week. It was fabulous I must say. But when it came to put the mufflers back on I tightened them back if not tighter and mine bogs where it didn't when I had the straight pipe or before I even messed with it.

Anyway that's my deal. Do you drive a lot of highway or bumper to bumper?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Its alot of stop and go. But sometimes ill open it up. Happens a few times now, only in the upper revs. Under normal driving its fine. I even change fuel and went with higher octane thinking it might of been some bad gas. Two days ago i floored it bringing it to 6000 rpms and was fine! The rough shut off when it happens almost sounds like a timing thing? Maybe its normal.By the way what year is your stang?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: bogging problem at high revs?

what kind of rough are you talking about?
can you please describe it more?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Its hard to describe.....its not a quiet shut down but more like it stalls out. Sounds weird but i dont know how else to desribe it. I used to have an old t-bird that the timing was off so it would run on and on when turning it off. Its almost like the same sound but doesnt run on. Maybe its just magnified in my garage.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Do you drive manual? It kinda sounds like when you would stall it.....kinda. sorry super hard to describe.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
I noticed the rough shutdown too. Now I push in the clutch when turning my car off and it is smoother, I think its the DMF causing it combined with the transmission. I remember reading that the low rpm and vibration of starting and stopping an engine is bad for a DMF. As for high rpm bogging I too noticed it a little, I think a tune might solve it but I don't have one yet so I can't say for sure
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh wow ill try that tomorrow! I never even thought to try that! Thx! Sorry if this sounds dumb but what is dmf? And thx for your input! Btw what year are you driving?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2012 base. A DMF is a dual mass flywheel which essentially has two parts, the part that connects to the engine and the surface that the clutch mates up to. These two parts have springs I between them to they can move slightly independantly of each other, if u have ever seen a clutch and saw the springs in the middle this essentially puts those springs into the flywheel and now the clutch has no springs. Its purpose is to smooth out drive line vibrations, but they can be noisy, have been know to fail early and are heavy so they contribute to revhang. U can see animations on YouTube that will explain it better than I did
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So? Are you saying an lightweight aluminum flywheel is the way to go?

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
So? Are you saying an lightweight aluminum flywheel is the way to go?
*a
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You'll have to get two since it is two, correct? Or am I just being stupid
Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

no he doesnt need two. it is a completely different set up. I notice rev hang and also rough shut down. The solution is to not rev it out past 5 grand and when you shut it down keep the clutch depressed. It is all from the DMF. Your car isnt broken. It is just that the DMF isnt really good for hi revs and lots of torque imo and can become very unpredictable. The vibration at shut down is because of the springs on the DMF. They didnt use them on the GT because of the torque rating on them is just above what a V6 can put out. Poor decision putting these in the v6 IMO. If and when you ever need a clutch dont go with a DMF. They are really pricey too so by going to a more traditional clutch setup you will ultimately gain performace and save money.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

as u can see from the two videos how different each are but both get the job done.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

This is also an excellent explanation which helped me learn. Sorry took a while to find it.

http://ds3owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.1.18
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You guys are right! That fix the sound when shutting down! You guys really know your stuff thats why i posted it! Have any of you change the clutch for an aftermarket one? If so which one? Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Most that supercharge or use nitrous do it eventually because the DMF disintegrates under High Torque applications... Hence the reason they don't use them in the GT. They can only hold about 325 pounds of torque.

The SPEC clutches are popular. Ram too. Depends on what your application is going to be HP/TQ wise when choosing which stage clutch you want. Just look at americanmucscle.com or any reputable mustang site that handles performance parts and you can read up on the stages of brand and choose what is right for your car. The higher the stage the more HP/Tq it can handle but also the harder it will be to push on the clutch pedal, faster it will engage disenagage (on off type of feeling less spongy) it will release etc.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I don't plan on doing a swap to a single mass until my clutch goes. The only thing I'm worried about is from reading online appearently some transmissions can be destroyed from the vibrations that are normally dampened by the DMF, but since the GT and v6 transmissions are so similar I don't think it will be a problem with this transmission, does any one else know anything about this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang