transmission flush? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
transmission flush?

So Ive been having some brake issues went into ford today to get that all taken care of AND then the guy comes to me an says im due for a transmission and coolant flush. And I guess when you hit 30k you gotta have it done, has anyone else done theres and
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Re: transmission flush?

I thought the transmission flush and filter change was at 100,000 miles on the automatic, I'm not sure if the Manual flush would not be at 100,000. On my Mini the brake fluid was replaced every 10,000 or one year. The coolent went two years. I'll have to dig out my manuals and check this one out.

Maybe somebody will know and inform us if 30,000 is the right time.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Is your stang a '10? If so then ford recommended flushing at 30k. Not sure why cuz it doesn't need to be changed that often.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

They say if you wait 100000 miles then dont flush it,,something about old fluid and new fluid in the clutches..But at work we used to flush every 36000 miles,,never had many castrophics failures either,,but now we do just filter,,we seem to have more problems now ,,but dont know if its a coincedence or not..Personally when i get the pan from AM,,that comes with a dipstick,,then i prob would drain the fluid every third oil change
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

30k is the industry standard recommendation for transmission flushes. Flushes, unlike a fluid change, forces new fluid in through the lines as the old exits. It's better at cleaning old fluid from the transmission. However, if you wait until 100k miles, clutch deposits will have formed in the transmission and the flushing will knock pieces of that loose but not remove it all. Those pieces generally end up clogging things up and messing up the transmission.

I would either get it flushed every 30k~ or not flush it at all and do fluid changes. Manuals can not be flushed, only drain and refilled. Couldn't hurt to do it every 30k too, keep those synchros in fresh lube.

Also, that's why too early for modern coolant flushes. I think almost every manufacturer uses an extended performance version lasting 100k/5yr.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well my transmission feels fine I dont feel or hear noises from it.
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

In the manual for 2012 automatic

Page #335 it say's:

Change coolant at 100,000 miles

Change Manual transmission fluid at 150,000 miles

Change automatic transmission fluid & filter at 150,000 miles

All of the intervals for scheduled maintenance is on this page.

Ronnie
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulaDstang View Post
Well my transmission feels fine I dont feel or hear noises from it.
This is preventative maintenance. Its not to fix an issue. Anyway, if you can afford it I would have the system flushed regularly. I wouldn't bother with the coolant.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just about every car mfg uses "lifetime" transmission and rear end fluid. By lifetime they mean 100k miles or so. 30k miles is a waste of time
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It seems that the factory seals in the perfect amount of the correct fluid into the automatic transmissions. They say it is good for 150,000 miles on my 2012. I do not think letting some lube monkey that the dealers hire ( CHEAP LABOR) without proper training to do oil changes etc are skilled enough to flush out a transmission and apply the exact correct amount of fluid.

I personally don't think it is needed to be done. The coolant is the same way, 100,000 miles and then change it along with the hoses etc.

We sure don't have to worry about changing power steering fluid any more because there ain't none.

It does not say in my manual but from things I have been told. It is pretty important to purge and replace the brake fluid at least every two years minimum.

I'm not against maintaining my car but I'm not about to fix something that don't need fixing. No transmission flush going to happen to my car.
Ronnie
Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I've lost count of the number of transmissions I've seen fail due to people driving them 100k then flushing. Its just like engine oil in that it breaks down and burns and gets deposits in it.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It doesn't go through the same beating as motor oil. No comparison.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nope but it gets tons of clutch deposits in it just from being used and its like sandpaper getting recirculated through the system. Their filters aren't like those for the oil either.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Ya the other thing is that the deposits actually embed in and if flushed out late in the transmission's life the deposits are actually helping keep it tight as well.

Sealed tranny. Well not exactly. It is sealed but there is a hose at the top of the transmission on some models (5r55s the last tranny ford used in the Mustang) and the hose exists in the bell housing. When the fluid gets really hot and builds pressure it pukes put the fluid into the housing and runs out the inspection plug. You lose fluid. The fix is a catch can attached to the hose (mod that is widely used with guys running these tranny's at the track) so that when it does build pressure it safely is stored in the can until the pressure decreases and then goes back down the hose and into the trans again. I had a ****load of fluid loss in my last tranny. I added the can. Also had a deep sump pan to hold extra fluid. They make a pan for the 6R80 as well. PA Performance is the company. The one I had also added a check fill which was awesome so now you can add fluid if needed and check it for proper level and see how clean it was.

I wonder if the new trans barfs fluid into the bell housing just like the last one did? Anyone got a diagram of the new trans? If a hose is connected to the back top of the trans and goes right to the top of the bell housing that is a sure bet it is the same design.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

This is the 5r55s 05-10 model sealed trans. See the hose on the top that goes to nowhere... Great design! That said these trannys are pretty tough. Most break from fluid loss, Input shaft snapping, or solenoids taking a crap.

What I did was take the hose out of the back and run a new hose from the engine compartment to it. A can was mounted to the firewall with a breather on top.

You can see the catch can (square aluminum box) next to the battery in this pic.

pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang