Opinions on Exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Opinions on Exhaust?

So currently I just installed an airaid intake on my car friday, and man.... have I been losing mpg from having my foot down on the gas. haha, but with the stock exhaust just restricting my airflow.... It's no bueno for me.

Was wondering then what kinds of exhaust set ups you guys got on your cars?
I'm thinking of the borla-atak, but don't know what else to go with it. Also was thinking of getting a tuner as well, but probably not until after my warranty.

And might as well ask, what are your opinions on a throttle body as well?
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Well flomaster is a good option too. I'm about to get a flomaster 40 series on my 2011 stang.
SliverStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I bought flowmaster super 10 series and I'm going to weld them on this weekend
I'll put a vid up and you be the judge
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Plenty of exhaust threads on here lol. Everyone will give you a different answer. Best bet is youtube and find what you like, not what someone else likes. But I run magnaflow comps and wouldn't trade them for anything. And as for the TB, I've seen gains on the dyno on previous years. From 5-20 depending on what you're running. But I think the $400 price tag is a bit high. I'm trying to get a hold of this used one. If I can get it cheap then I'll buy and see for myself.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: Opinions on Exhaust?

I suggest you get a set that does not need a bunch of cutting and welding to install them. There are plenty of axlebacks that will use the stock hangers and hook up right to the stock flange.

If you just want a nice deep rumble you should look at Magnaflow streets or Ford Racing touring. I bought the Magnaflow streets because I like the quality and the tips a lot better then the Ford Racing.

If you want to make a lot of sound you can get Magnaflow comps or any other brand of your choice.

Unless you have a good muffler shop or actually can do it properly your self I would not consider trying to save money using anything that is weld on and not made for your Mustang.

There are so many brands of direct fit axleback mufflers to choose from that all you need to do is go to you-tube and type in V6 mustang mufflers to hear some of them. American Muscle also has video clips.

The hardest part of putting my mufflers on was cutting the small weld tab that Ford had on the stock (VERY HEAVY) mufflers. My car is a 2012.

Just remember this words of wisdom:
The more noise you put out-The more Cop's you will attract.

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My buddy has the roush axleback and it sounds great! It does spit and pop a lot but he loves it that way. It really depends on what you are looking for
angelofrat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Check these out....

Before and after

Roush Axleback

Roush Axleback + Glasspacks
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the magnapacks made a really nice change. good call.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I got magna flow streets and I love em. Very deep sound and it gets loud to! Added a new cai to and It sounds better now to but idk if that's just in my head though since its a new mod I just installed. But I'm interested in throttle body's to.
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The best I've heard in person on the new sixxers are manga flow street or roush
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I agree in that find some clips online and then get what you want. I will make a plug and say I love my magnaflow streets though.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Go big or go home. Check out the Borla Attak. It's hella expensive. Haha
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Go big or go home. Check out the Borla Attak. It's hella expensive. Haha
Male sure they are the cat back so you can drop 1200 bucks. Worth every penny, rumor has it that the pipes are laced with 24k gold too

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I suggest you get a set that does not need a bunch of cutting and welding to install them. There are plenty of axlebacks that will use the stock hangers and hook up right to the stock flange.

If you just want a nice deep rumble you should look at Magnaflow streets or Ford Racing touring. I bought the Magnaflow streets because I like the quality and the tips a lot better then the Ford Racing.

If you want to make a lot of sound you can get Magnaflow comps or any other brand of your choice.

Unless you have a good muffler shop or actually can do it properly your self I would not consider trying to save money using anything that is weld on and not made for your Mustang.

There are so many brands of direct fit axleback mufflers to choose from that all you need to do is go to you-tube and type in V6 mustang mufflers to hear some of them. American Muscle also has video clips.

The hardest part of putting my mufflers on was cutting the small weld tab that Ford had on the stock (VERY HEAVY) mufflers. My car is a 2012.

Just remember this words of wisdom:
The more noise you put out-The more Cop's you will attract.
I never had a weld on mine? I agree, you could work out with those things!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A short story:

I went to the supermarket one day a couple of weeks ago and going in I noticed a 2012 V6 Mustang convertible parked a car away. The top was down and it was a gorgeous looking blue. I picked up a few things and when I went out there were two young ladies looking at my 2012 MCA candy red Mustang. They owned the convertible and we talked cars a few minutes while a put my stuff in my trunk. They loved my cargo net and I told them where I got it.

I started my car up and one girl said to the other
Quote:
I knew I should have bought a V8 just because of the mufflers sound so good.
I had to show her my car was also a V6 and it sounded good due to I put a set of Magnaflow Streets on it. She asked where I got them sol I put her on to American Muscle and told her about this forum.She did say she just bought her car and would be broke for a while so adding stuff would have to wait.

We never exchanged names so if you are on the forum please PM me.

Ronnie948
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Another shorter story: when looking at a new 2011-2012 for me, we came across a dark grey colored mustang v6. 2011 with 3k miles on it. Premium and when the guy at the dealership remote started it.....woah. My mom said," I don't want him in the new GT, that's too much power. My dad and I had to inform her by lifting the good that it was a v6. It had magnaflows on it.

IMO I'd go with flowmasters or magnaflows. Mags for the v8 and flows for the traditional pop and gurgle.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good short story, I love my Magnaflows. Now this is my opinion about the sound. I think the Magnaflow streets make the V6 sound almost like the
V8. Not totally but very close.

The Flowmasters and Rousch systems with all of the popping sounds way to ricer for me. I also think that the popping and loud noises and extra vibrations would get old very fast with some of these mufflers. I have heard them all at the American Muscle Mustang show and The best sounding cars for me were the Stock V8's and of course the Shelby's but the Magnaflows on my car sounded just as great to me.

Everybody has their preferences on the sounds they like. That is why there are so many different brands of mufflers to choose from. No matter what A person chooses the Mufflers they use to replace the stock very heavy super silent mufflers will make their Mustang run better with better MPG and at least sound like a Mustang should.
Ronnie
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The saying to each his own applies to mustang owners. I also look t cost. The mags are 600 ish correct. For the money that's fine but a cat back system is just a few more hundred away. So I'd go with the cat back system if I went with magnaflows. The flowmasters are around 400 and just axle. So in my situation it's a money thing along with sound but I'd have a toss up between the two. My 3.8l sounded ricey at wot with super 44's. But these new v6's have a different pitch and different harmonics to them it seems.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Lightning,
I think it must be in the firing order. My 1998 Corvette with the LS1 engine never sounded as good as it should have. I put cat backs with X-pipe magnaflows and it ran great but still sounded like a ricer at the higher RPM's. As much as I loved the car and performance I never did like the mufflers sound. I had a friend that put Corsa's on his Corvette and it sounded worse. It sounded like an outboard boat motor.

I'm really pleased with the sound of my Mustang now. It was well worth the $512.00 I paid for them. I listened to a lot of different axelbacks before deciding on the Ford Racing Tourings or the Magnaflow Streets. I went to a local speed shop and compared the looks and quality of the two and liked the Magnaflows better. I loved the tips and just plain better looking quality. The speedshop had $795.00 on the Magnaflows plus I would have had to pay the tax.

Like you, I have a (NO MONEY) problem but I could not stand the looks or the non-sound of the stock mufflers so I loaded up my credit card and now I'm paying for them. No remorse at all. Now I love my car every time I start it up. It now sounds like a Mustang should sound. And the nice large rolled tips look way to good.

I did not want loud or popping sounds and these are just a nice deep rumble that I was looking for. I refuse to skimp on buying things for my car. If I can't get what I want I will do without until I save up enough to make the purchase or I will stick it on a card and pay as I go. (I don't like doing that but had to on the Magnaflows) They will be paid off in a couple more months then I will get something else.

Ronnie
Old 09-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I know this topic had to be answered, but what do you guys feel about doing this to a new car? I'm getting a 2013 V6 brand new in a few weeks. I was planning on driving it around for 1k miles or so then making the decision. i just think relatively simple mods like cai, tune, and magnaflow streets would just make the car amazing, according to the testimonies here.
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's usually what the v6 community does as far as performance goes. The rest is appearance and suspension. That's just what I've noticed
Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Use the forums and car shows to find locals, hear what they have. Even if the best vids (mine) the sound is never exactly right over a PC. I think mines pretty dang close if you have bass on your PC speakers set to mid, its still diff in person. The sound clips can only say so much
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I was trying to go at least 1,000 miles but I could not take the stock mufflers anymore. The silence was driving me nuts. At just a little under 400 miles I had to get my Magnaflow streets and put them on. Now I wish I did it sooner.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust