Mustang Evolution Forum banner

engine noise ticking

8K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  mjp70 
#1 ·
Is this normal?? Car barely has 1, 000 miles its a 2012 mustang v6 mt6speed.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Idk how to upload the video but yeha -.- its a semi loud ticking noise sortbof like a disel?

#4 ·
I always notice the sound at idle but only when I am outside the car and it does it even when it warms up with the hood closed you can hear it but not much. I dont know if its nornal for these engines as some people have said but I dont like it.... especially with less than 1, 000 miles and the engine is warm.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqec61DAxSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#9 ·
No loss of power that I can tell and vibration none. And hy exhaust its been the same maybe just a little deeper but nothing big.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

The car runs perfect except that noise and sometimes the reverse grinds by itself even when glutch pedal is press all the way in and shifts in 1nd and 2nd sometimes have a little trouble and the front right side makes noise when ever going into speed bumps or dips as if the sawy bar or bushings are off lol.... yeha I schedule an apointment with my dealership tomorow. Seems like too many issues for a brand new car.... but small details are best taken care off right away

#10 · (Edited)
Thats a good idea. Dont take any chances. Wouldnt worry about it to much, doesnt sound catastophic and its under warranty. But i know it sucks when you have to return to the dealer with some issues! It just happened to me with mine,sounds like you might have the same noise going over speed bumps or bumpy roads as i did! 99.9% chance its your front lower control arms, therr is a tsb on them and Its hit or miss if your mustang has bad ones or not but sounds like it might be! It took ford of canada over a month to find new ones, mine were really bad...very noisey.but well worth the wait! Dont worry...i was, but ford took good care of me when i had my doubts, but now i LOVE my stang and you will to!

#11 ·
I had taken it to a ford dealership that was near my university cause of the noise the assholes had my car over 3 days then told me to test drive another 13 same noise not as bad told me that its cause they have stiff suspension.... my ass ived driven dulleys trucks all my life even before I was even able to drive legally. Sad how I know more than the dealerships mechanics and im 19. I just want everything perfect lol my first car and I love it

#12 · (Edited)
I hear you! It took three visits and two dealerships to get an answer. First time i told them to check out the lower control arm because when the hood is popped and i rock the front suspension up and down it make some noise. The guy told me it was normal.....like **** it is...then why does the other side not make the noise? He just kinda blew me off and said it was fine. Went to another dealer that week because i knew i wasnt ****ing crazy and within 5 minutes he not only told me the control arm needed to be replaced but said there was a tsb in 2011 about that very issue!

#13 ·
Aggred these damn idiots in most dealerships dont know **** the guy tried braging about him getting automatic transmission traning and what not so I replied yeha I hear you I put an engine tigether back when I was 16 and it was easy the transmissions a harder but I did it for a competion in highschool ;-) rhe guy just stayed quiet and I advance in saying I am certified in also automotive disel the guy just stayed quiet.... sad but honestly proud that I mean 19 and can out do most of these so called "experts" I will never leave my car again at a dealership I did it the first time because I wanted it fixed fast I could had done it myself but there would go money time... and warranty

#14 ·
They should be able to tell you pretty quickly what the engine noise is...tell them about the tsb on the control arm so they can get started right away, you have to be forcefull but nice about it to get results! Keep us posted and good luck! It will all work out!

#17 ·
It is normal. Mine started doing it when I started running full synthetic oil in it. (yes I did the oil change right and yes I put enough oil in and no it's not leaking or missing oil) Before this car I had a BMW M3 that did it. It hissed and ticked like crazy. I know that some one will stop by this thread and disagree with this but it seems to me like high hp V6 cars that have strung out MAF does this. I have have a buddy with a 300z and it ticks intermittently since the day he brought it home new from the dealership. Some people just dont want to admit it I think. It's less noticeable on some cars but sooner or later it will tick tick tick tick......it doesnt affect performance it's just how they are. Don't look at it as an issue that needs to be fixed. To me it sounds like something in the heads like lifters but who really knows.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Midnight2012 said:
Sorry but no that is not normal. It sounds like a bent push rod. Have you checked your oil?
I'd get this car straight to the dealer.
Push rod? It's not a fox body

#18 · (Edited)
Hello red stallion, hows it going? Hows your ride going? Mine is great! Its because of people like you that i keep coming back to this forum and asking more questions and give any help i can provide to other people! You trully try to help others out! And thats pretty cool! Keep it up! And thanks again for all your help!

#19 ·
I havent changed the oil, its 1200 miles lol but hopefully is nothing and maybe once I change it to royal purple or amsoil it will stop. Do you have any information about the reverse grinding by itself even when I have the glutch pedal fully pressed. I know the trouble I see to have in 1 and 2 are probably the synchronizers everyone is talking about.

#20 ·
MrMike said:
Hello red stallion, hows it going? Hows your ride going? Mine is great! Its because of people like you that i keep coming back to this forum and asking more questions and give any help i can provide to other people! You trully try to help others out! And thats pretty cool! Keep it up! And thanks again for all your help!
No Prob. I try brother.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

ebgonzalez1 said:
I havent changed the oil, its 1200 miles lol but hopefully is nothing and maybe once I change it to royal purple or amsoil it will stop. Do you have any information about the reverse grinding by itself even when I have the glutch pedal fully pressed. I know the trouble I see to have in 1 and 2 are probably the synchronizers everyone is talking about.
My car does that sometimes too. My 02 mustang gt also did the same thing. Both my 11 and 02 went to the dealership years back for this and they never find anything wrong. Their answer is to change out the transmission fluid and flush it, which I did for the 02 and it did not make any difference, prob was still there. I notice some times it even makes the same"scratch" noise going into first gear. First and reverse are usually the same gear inside the tranny. I don't know if it's a characteristic of these cars or not but it seems like a lot of mustangs do it. There is a trick to skiiping this issue:

If going into first gear, while holding the clutch pedal down, put it into second gear then immediately into first. No "scratch" sound

Going into reverse, put it into second, first, then reverse, no "scratch" sound again

The clutch is disengaged as long as you keep the pedal depressed and you don't let off so this will not hurt anything and you will get by without that nasty sound.

You should only need to do that the first few times going into first or reverse. It should not continue to do it after you drive it for a while.

I run mobile 1 fully synthetic in it. Maybe the use of amsoil or royal purple will fix it but I don't see those oils being that much better than mobile 1. Come back and let us know if that fixed it

#24 ·
Same tick noise warm at idle Passenger cyl head . 2013 v6 here .. 1100 miles Goin to dealer Tuesday to have it verified. Atleast If they say its normal I have began a paper trail so if something does happen .. I have "Paper" to come back with them sayin . "oh that's normal" and it wasnt. Better safe than sorry ..

#25 ·
mjp70 said:
Same tick noise warm at idle Passenger cyl head . 2013 v6 here .. 1100 miles Goin to dealer Tuesday to have it verified. Atleast If they say its normal I have began a paper trail so if something does happen .. I have "Paper" to come back with them sayin . "oh that's normal" and it wasnt. Better safe than sorry ..
Yeha same place passanger side for me they said itd normal but hopefully with time and or oil changed it will decrease or stop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.