SHORTY HEADERS - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Wouldve gained another 10hp if it was a O/R Xpipe. BBK has comparisons of the LT headers with Catted xpipe and O/R Xpipe
originally I wanted (and bought) an o/r h pipe but since it's my DD wanted to be "somewhat" civil. haha
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

originally I wanted (and bought) an o/r h pipe but since it's my DD wanted to be "somewhat" civil. haha
Lmfao! Just get gt500 mufflers bro they will be civil till u floor it then all hell breaks loose hahaha
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

Weak :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #39
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Not many people are running headers in the V6 section. Is that because of:

1) Long Tube Headers don't just bolt on, they require a little shortening of the rest of the exhaust system.

2) They haven't caught up with the 2012 and 2013 Mustangs (Not a Demand from the V6 crowd).
1) In most long tube installation, the exhaust system requires modifications. In the dozen or so long tube installs I've done in the past, none have been a bolt on install.

2) Shorty headers are nice looking, and are a good replacement for a broken stock exhaust header, but for the price, they are not that much of a gain for what you pay. It would be better to go with your option one (long tube headers).
Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko

2) Shorty headers are nice looking, and are a good replacement for a broken stock exhaust header, but for the price, they are not that much of a gain for what you pay. It would be better to go with your option one (long tube headers).
And where did you get that false information? It's been proven (dyno) that BBK shorty headers provide SIGNIFICANT torque gains down low and mid range. Gains as high as 60 ft-lb torque and for an average of about 40 ft-lb torque. Please don't provide information if you have no legit sources to back it up. Don't be a duck and listen to what everyone else says, do some actual research. I'll post a link to my sources.

For the price (-300$) they are DEFINITELY worth it for the gains. Also will make your car sound much much deeper/throatier.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hreads-36.html
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #41

Shorty headers seem like a good choice, too, since the 3.7 is lacking some torque compared to hp.
gmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

And where did you get that false information? It's been proven (dyno) that BBK shorty headers provide SIGNIFICANT torque gains down low and mid range. Gains as high as 60 ft-lb torque and for an average of about 40 ft-lb torque. Please don't provide information if you have no legit sources to back it up. Don't be a duck and listen to what everyone else says, do some actual research. I'll post a link to my sources.

For the price (-300$) they are DEFINITELY worth it for the gains. Also will make your car sound much much deeper/throatier.

Nice to hear! I was planning to get shorties but some people were saying long tubes if you want gains and that shorties were more for look and sound. Thanks.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Merged header threads>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Page 36 - Ford Mustang Forums
True. I Installed Shorty headers and the first thing I noticed was the TQ. Definately no regrets forking out the cash for the shorties. After you drive with them for a while you feel it in the lower rpms.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

U will never change someones mind on the minimal gains of shorty's. For the price we pay for these things we expect our money's worth not dyno sheets BBK tweaked. Look into Dyno Tweaking its easy and it can show any HP number you want. Ive only seen ONE dyno sheet that wasnt from BBK that showed any real gains. You can find plenty of LT dyno sheets tho. Id need multiple dyno sheets with consistent gains to prove me wrong until then Shorty's will be pretty replacement manifolds not performance upgrades.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #45
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
U will never change someones mind on the minimal gains of shorty's. For the price we pay for these things we expect our money's worth not dyno sheets BBK tweaked. Look into Dyno Tweaking its easy and it can show any HP number you want. Ive only seen ONE dyno sheet that wasnt from BBK that showed any real gains. You can find plenty of LT dyno sheets tho. Id need multiple dyno sheets with consistent gains to prove me wrong until then Shorty's will be pretty replacement manifolds not performance upgrades.
My reasoning as well. My statement:

"Shorty headers are nice looking, and are a good replacement for a broken stock exhaust header, but for the price, they are not that much of a gain for what you pay. It would be better to go with your option one (long tube headers)."

I'm not discouraging anyone from making their own mind and doing their own research. In my findings, the shorties just did not look to provide the "bang for buck" I was looking for. When I go the route of headers, it will be long tubes for sure.

As to a duck, well quack, quack. You should read a persons response a bit more carefully before you jump off at their reasoning; I never said they had no performance gains. I am well read on their attributes and potential. I just choose to spend my money on better options, such as the long tubes when the day comes.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

Lmao...you didn't even read the thread. It was an INDIVIDUALS dyno test, NOT the companies. Man you guys seriously need to do some research. You say shorty headers provide no gains but you have no ACTUAL sources to back that statement up! Keep being ducks! You guys crack me up.

If someone offered me the choice of free shorty headers or long tube headers, I'd choose the shorties. The long tubes (BBK) have been proven to provide some HP (8-15) but at a LOSS of some torque. The 3.7 NEEDS torque. The shorties (BBK) provide TONS of torque and even a bit of HP. Exactly what our 3.7s need. And the shorties sound a lot better (my personal opinion).
Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #47
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Lmao...you didn't even read the thread. It was an INDIVIDUALS dyno test, NOT the companies. Man you guys seriously need to do some research. You say shorty headers provide no gains but you have no ACTUAL sources to back that statement up! Keep being ducks! You guys crack me up.
Again, go back and read the responses, no one is saying they provide no gains; just no enough for me to shell out 300 bucks for them. I've done all the research I needed to do to make my choice. I'll save and go the route of long tube when the time comes.

You seem to have a quick trigger with your responses. Please read carefully to what the opinions that differ from yours are saying.

No one is telling folks who want short tube headers to stay away....simply offering another alternative.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko

Again, go back and read the responses, no one is saying they provide no gains; just no enough for me to shell out 300 bucks for them. I'll save and go the route of long tube when the time comes.

You seem to have a quick trigger with your responses. Please read carefully to what the opinions that differ from yours are saying.

No one is telling folks who want short tube headers to stay away....simply offering another alternative.
Ok man. They both are great choices. I just hate when people say something with no sources/factual data to back the statement up.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #49
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Ok man. They both are great choices. I just hate when people say something with no sources/factual data to back the statement up.
A valid point. There are a lot of those on this, and many other sites. As it has been said before, opinions are like the holes we all have on our backside;everyone has one.

It's best to take all the advice, then research yourself, then make the choice that fits your budget and engine/driving requirements. Unfortunately, many purchases are made because it's the latest "cool" thing to do, and everyones doing it.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My reasoning as well. My statement:

"Shorty headers are nice looking, and are a good replacement for a broken stock exhaust header, but for the price, they are not that much of a gain for what you pay. It would be better to go with your option one (long tube headers)."

I'm not discouraging anyone from making their own mind and doing their own research. In my findings, the shorties just did not look to provide the "bang for buck" I was looking for. When I go the route of headers, it will be long tubes for sure.

As to a duck, well quack, quack. You should read a persons response a bit more carefully before you jump off at their reasoning; I never said they had no performance gains. I am well read on their attributes and potential. I just choose to spend my money on better options, such as the long tubes when the day comes.
300 for more torque where needed and 1000+ for loss in torque and high hp? Then I'll have to buy gears to compensate for my loss in torque? Idk just my logic. I like LT and I enjoy the sound. But not on my car everyday.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Plus with LT you are limited to what you can buy and bolt on without fabrication. Shorties I can run a catted H or x. Or catless.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

300 for more torque where needed and 1000+ for loss in torque and high hp? Then I'll have to buy gears to compensate for my loss in torque? Idk just my logic. I like LT and I enjoy the sound. But not on my car everyday.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Plus with LT you are limited to what you can buy and bolt on without fabrication. Shorties I can run a catted H or x. Or catless.
Cough catless h cough

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Plus shorties are a wonderful option for those who wish to turbocharge in the future
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If someone offered me the choice of free shorty headers or long tube headers, I'd choose the shorties. The long tubes (BBK) have been proven to provide some HP (8-15) but at a LOSS of some torque. The 3.7 NEEDS torque. The shorties (BBK) provide TONS of torque and even a bit of HP. Exactly what our 3.7s need. And the shorties sound a lot better (my personal opinion).
I didnt say they make no gains at all. I said and u can quote it up top that its MINIMAL not enough to make it worth my while thats why I went with long tubes. Who needs torque when we have torque multipliers aka Gears. If u need torque so much swap out the gears and bam all the torque in the world is available. Sh*t you can even slap on some 456 gears if u want so much torque. If u want shortys go right ahead its not like ima go and stop you I can care less which manifolds u buy. Just stating my opinion that for the money thats spent id rather shell out another acouple hundred and get long tubes. Again like I said unless its a Mustang Dyno then the numbers will never be consistant and not as accurate. Shops can easily tweak the settibgs on the dyno to change the output of the dyno. Ive personally seen it happen locally just to make it seem like the shop did a great tuning when in reality they were tweaked by 80hp and 75lbs of torque. I personally like dyno sheets of the same car and as close of the same conditions on at least two dyno machines to get accurate results. I just dont trust shops anymore after what happened to my friend
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #53
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Cough catless h cough

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Plus shorties are a wonderful option for those who wish to turbocharge in the future
Cough illegal cough hefty federal fine cough regardless of state laws cough
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So is speeding that I'm sure no one on this site ever does....cough.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

So is speeding that I'm sure no one on this site ever does....cough.
Lol its a bigger fine for no cats than a measly speeding ticket.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol its a bigger fine for no cats than a measly speeding ticket.
I wouldn't call a 365$ speeding ticket measly. Lol. Got that one before my stang.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't call a 365$ speeding ticket measly. Lol. Got that one before my stang.
Lmfao thats nothing try 556 plus court fees hahaha I got caught doing 118 in a 65 and it was a work zone so it was a double fine. Only reason the cop didnt arrest me cuz I was hauling *** to my home town cuz my sister was giving birth to her first born and I was NOT gna miss it. I showed him the voicmails and texts from my family telling me it was time for the baby so the cop let me go with just that expensive ticket. U do know the fines for no catts its huge right lol
Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #58
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
But I would call a $40,000.00 fine a bit more than measly. My son avoided it with his 2004 Subaru WRX he sold a year ago. Sold it without cats to a private individual, with the typical "AS IS" statement signed by both the buyer and seller. Two weeks after the sale, he's presented with papers at his work. The seller sued him for a car that could not pass inspection (out of the state of Florida). Even though a state may not have inspections, it cannot be sold legally with any federally required equipment. In the case of catalitic converters, the feds can get you for $40K. My son had to buy back the car to avoid the fine. He promptly put the cats back on (he kept them) and sold the car (again).
Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmfao thats nothing try 556 plus court fees hahaha I got caught doing 118 in a 65 and it was a work zone so it was a double fine. Only reason the cop didnt arrest me cuz I was hauling *** to my home town cuz my sister was giving birth to her first born and I was NOT gna miss it. I showed him the voicmails and texts from my family telling me it was time for the baby so the cop let me go with just that expensive ticket. U do know the fines for no catts its huge right lol
Lmao!! Your one up on me! Lol I'm trying to find what the average penalty is down there (U.S). I'm sure its ****ing high! You guys don't **** around with that stuff with yearly inspections and all. We are lucky (Quebec) that we haven't adopted that yet bit its only a matter of time!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I have LTs and catted X and I can vouch for shorties. I Rode with a friend with shorties and same exact setup except 3.73 ( I have 4.10s) and his was way more torque than me. he also beat me in a race which made me question my headers also. I caught up to him at about 100 mph though
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But I would call a $40,000.00 fine a bit more than measly. My son avoided it with his 2004 Subaru WRX he sold a year ago. Sold it without cats to a private individual, with the typical "AS IS" statement signed by both the buyer and seller. Two weeks after the sale, he's presented with papers at his work. The seller sued him for a car that could not pass inspection (out of the state of Florida). Even though a state may not have inspections, it cannot be sold legally with any federally required equipment. In the case of catalitic converters, the feds can get you for $40K. My son had to buy back the car to avoid the fine. He promptly put the cats back on (he kept them) and sold the car (again).
OMG!!!!!!! I'd never go catless!!!!!!!!!! Sorry didn't know it could be THAT ridiculous!!!! Omg!!!!!!! Your son is REALLY lucky!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #62
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
OMG!!!!!!! I'd never go catless!!!!!!!!!! Sorry didn't know it could be THAT ridiculous!!!! Omg!!!!!!! Your son is REALLY lucky!
No, dad is really lucky, as he would have had no way to come up with that amount of cash....then again, he would have gotten two to three square meals a day, and room and board, since I would not have paid the fine.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You gotta risk it to get the biscuit (10-20 hp)
Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

You gotta risk it to get the biscuit (10-20 hp)
Lmfao that was funny tho!

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

If anyone is gna run cattless just keep ur stock cats so if u sell or trade ur vehicle u can put them on to avoid any of these issues but in the mean time run ur car cattless all u like.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Some of you need to stop spewing misinformation about Shorty headers. There are independent dyno results, 1/4 mile results of before and after. There is even results on this forum from a member who raced someone with the exact same setup, except the other guy had shorty header and 3.73 gears. He had long tubes and 4.10 gears and still lost in 0-100mph, he didn't start to pull ahead till after 100mph.
Now I don't know if the guys saying shortys are no good have long tube headers and are butt hurt because they have those instead of shortys or what. But fact is there are BBK's dyno results, independent dyno results, 1/4 mile results and results from a member on this board and other boards that shorty's are the hot ticket over LTH's.
Fact, shortys showa huge improvement in torque over LTH's and some hp gains in testing.
Fact, the 3.7 mustang needs torque in the low and midrange more then hp.
Fact, shorty's are cheaper then LTH's.
Fact, shorty's sound better then LTH's.
Fact, LTH's are a waste of money as far as power to price ratio goes when compared to shortys.
Sorry if some of you don't like shorty's but results are results, this is why everyone is buying them. Not some new fad as some of you think.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmfao that was funny tho!

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

If anyone is gna run cattless just keep ur stock cats so if u sell or trade ur vehicle u can put them on to avoid any of these issues but in the mean time run ur car cattless all u like.
That's what I did :p
Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The Posting that Never Dies. This was first posted back in September of 2012.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Some of you need to stop spewing misinformation about Shorty headers. There are independent dyno results, 1/4 mile results of before and after. There is even results on this forum from a member who raced someone with the exact same setup, except the other guy had shorty header and 3.73 gears. He had long tubes and 4.10 gears and still lost in 0-100mph, he didn't start to pull ahead till after 100mph.
Now I don't know if the guys saying shortys are no good have long tube headers and are butt hurt because they have those instead of shortys or what. But fact is there are BBK's dyno results, independent dyno results, 1/4 mile results and results from a member on this board and other boards that shorty's are the hot ticket over LTH's.
Fact, shortys showa huge improvement in torque over LTH's and some hp gains in testing.
Fact, the 3.7 mustang needs torque in the low and midrange more then hp.
Fact, shorty's are cheaper then LTH's.
Fact, LTH's are a waste of money as far as power to price ratio goes when compared to shortys.
Sorry if some of you don't like shorty's but results are results, this is why everyone is buying them. Not some new fad as some of you think.
that would be me. lol
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #69
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
That would be your opinion, not a fact. My opinion is that both shorties and LTs sound great.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
yo the shorties are sick bro. I got beat by my buddies stang that had them all the way till about 100. I have longtubes.
Okay you were beaten.. that sucks but what mods do you exactly have? Are you manual or auto? What are the mods of the guy you raced?

The only reason I ask all of this is because in all my years of racing I have never seen quality shorties out perform quality long tubes by this much.

Mods have A LOT to do with this, from what i know MPT is making some crazy killer tunes and it really is kicking BAMA's butt.

I do know shorties gain more torque down low over stock manifolds and a little bit more over long tubes but something is amiss here. Something is not right. We have 3.7 guys running in the 12.63-12.9 regularly on the 1/4 mile now and they are all running LUND / MPT Tunes with long tubes and 2.5" header back exhaust.

So just for clarification, I am not bashing shorties or saying long tubes are better, but in my 10+ years of racing experience I have never seen this. I really think it has to do with the tune.
Nyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang