SHORTY HEADERS - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone
Some of you need to stop spewing misinformation about Shorty headers. There are independent dyno results, 1/4 mile results of before and after. There is even results on this forum from a member who raced someone with the exact same setup, except the other guy had shorty header and 3.73 gears. He had long tubes and 4.10 gears and still lost in 0-100mph, he didn't start to pull ahead till after 100mph.
Now I don't know if the guys saying shortys are no good have long tube headers and are butt hurt because they have those instead of shortys or what. But fact is there are BBK's dyno results, independent dyno results, 1/4 mile results and results from a member on this board and other boards that shorty's are the hot ticket over LTH's.
Fact, shortys showa huge improvement in torque over LTH's and some hp gains in testing.
Fact, the 3.7 mustang needs torque in the low and midrange more then hp.
Fact, shorty's are cheaper then LTH's.
Fact, shorty's sound better then LTH's.
Fact, LTH's are a waste of money as far as power to price ratio goes when compared to shortys.
Sorry if some of you don't like shorty's but results are results, this is why everyone is buying them. Not some new fad as some of you think.
This. Great post. Some people just don't get it. But the sound part is really your own opinion, even though I don't know how anyone could like the sound of LT's over shorties on our 3.7 V6 (sounds like an old farm tractor). The shorties really deepen the tone and make it closer to a V8 sound. Put LT's on and it's raspy as hell and clearly a sixer.
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

This. Great post. Some people just don't get it. But the sound part is really your own opinion, even though I don't know how anyone could like the sound of LT's over shorties on our 3.7 V6 (sounds like an old farm tractor). The shorties really deepen the tone and make it closer to a V8 sound. Put LT's on and it's raspy as hell and clearly a sixer.
It will never sound like a v8 unless u dropped a v8 in it. Trust me I swore my 3.7 sounded like a v8 but once I bought my 5.0 its ****s on my 3.7 hahaha
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyke View Post

Okay you were beaten.. that sucks but what mods do you exactly have? Are you manual or auto? What are the mods of the guy you raced?

The only reason I ask all of this is because in all my years of racing I have never seen quality shorties out perform quality long tubes by this much.

Mods have A LOT to do with this, from what i know MPT is making some crazy killer tunes and it really is kicking BAMA's butt.

I do know shorties gain more torque down low over stock manifolds and a little bit more over long tubes but something is amiss here. Something is not right. We have 3.7 guys running in the 12.63-12.9 regularly on the 1/4 mile now and they are all running LUND / MPT Tunes with long tubes and 2.5" header back exhaust.

So just for clarification, I am not bashing shorties or saying long tubes are better, but in my 10+ years of racing experience I have never seen this. I really think it has to do with the tune.
His post was basically saying the same mods. Pro charger, same tires, just the gears and headers. Both catted and bama or mpt. Either way same company.

Not gonna lie, 10 years of racing shows alot of experience, but technology is surpassing alot of set in stone misconceptions. One being a v6 having 305 hp lol my dad's typical hot rod ways are being shattered by the new school muscle technology.

I also don't hear a difference in sound with shorties but I want torque and to keep my 2.73 gears. Where ill be lugging around with LT headers due to me using it as a DD
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

It will never sound like a v8 unless u dropped a v8 in it. Trust me I swore my 3.7 sounded like a v8 but once I bought my 5.0 its ****s on my 3.7 hahaha
I didn't say it would sound like a V8, that's obvious a sixxer will never sound like a V8. I said it would sound closer to a V8, as in a deeper-throatier tone.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang

I didn't say it would sound like a V8, that's obvious a sixxer will never sound like a V8. I said it would sound closer to a V8, as in a deeper-throatier tone.
Your not too good at reading, are you Charles?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The shorties are deeper and smoother sounding than the Longtubes... I would say that's a fact.

The bassani long tubes sound damn good with a catted x pipe.
But I do think the shorties just sound overall cleaner. Not like a v8... the exhaust pulse sequence of the v6 makes it impossible to sound like an eight cylinder... but it sounds like a very nice v6.

rMany people tell me the car sounds like some crazy super car.

The power is there. When I datalogged my tune the car was flowing much more air... that's what Steeda told me and they said the changes they are going to have to make are very similar to long tubes.

The car was leaning out like crazy in certain rpm ranges after the header install and electronically limiting throttle... yet it still is faster because of the added low-mid range power.

How are you guys gonna say it doesn't make any more power when there was clearly extra air flow from the shorties? To the point the engine was leaning out that much.

The gains will be there for sure once the a/f ratio is brought back into normal levels and timing is advanced accordingly.

Not to mention they sound amazing.

powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #76

I can't see why people say that shorties are a waste of money. They sound good and they flow better than stock. Plus they are much cheaper than long tubes. If you want low end torque- get shorties. If you want higher end power- get longtubes. It's as simple as that.
gmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay you were beaten.. that sucks but what mods do you exactly have? Are you manual or auto? What are the mods of the guy you raced?

The only reason I ask all of this is because in all my years of racing I have never seen quality shorties out perform quality long tubes by this much.

Mods have A LOT to do with this, from what i know MPT is making some crazy killer tunes and it really is kicking BAMA's butt.

I do know shorties gain more torque down low over stock manifolds and a little bit more over long tubes but something is amiss here. Something is not right. We have 3.7 guys running in the 12.63-12.9 regularly on the 1/4 mile now and they are all running LUND / MPT Tunes with long tubes and 2.5" header back exhaust.

So just for clarification, I am not bashing shorties or saying long tubes are better, but in my 10+ years of racing experience I have never seen this. I really think it has to do with the tune.
we are both procharged. same mods except he has shorties and I have longtubes and he has 3.73 and I have 4.10s. I'm not biased cuz I got LTs and love the hell out of them but shorties are no joke.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel
I can't see why people say that shorties are a waste of money. They sound good and they flow better than stock. Plus they are much cheaper than long tubes. If you want low end torque- get shorties. If you want higher end power- get longtubes. It's as simple as that.
Yup. Simple as that.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

we are both procharged. same mods except he has shorties and I have longtubes and he has 3.73 and I have 4.10s. I'm not biased cuz I got LTs and love the hell out of them but shorties are no joke.
3.73 are the sweet spot for our cars for 1/4 mile times it seems. What about tunes? Who tuned your vehicles? I could see the shorties doing better as a drop and bolt vs untuned long tubes while boosted. You two should get both your stuff dialed in if you do not already and race. Would be awesome video and documentary to watch.
Nyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

3.73 are the sweet spot for our cars for 1/4 mile times it seems. What about tunes? Who tuned your vehicles? I could see the shorties doing better as a drop and bolt vs untuned long tubes while boosted. You two should get both your stuff dialed in if you do not already and race. Would be awesome video and documentary to watch.
they were both Dyno tuned on the same Dyno. we have nearly identical cars regarding performance. and we have raced many times.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

they were both Dyno tuned on the same Dyno. we have nearly identical cars regarding performance. and we have raced many times.
I hope my questions are not driving you crazy I am just intrigued and wamt to learn more.

What tize size are you two running? And specifically what long tube are you running?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Your not too good at reading, are you Charles?
Dont matter I still have my two sweet stangs

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Quote:

I hope my questions are not driving you crazy I am just intrigued and wamt to learn more.

What tize size are you two running? And specifically what long tube are you running?
Dont forget the weight differences. That could be what might have made the difference and traction I know with 410s you would have more traction problems. A buddy had to put extra weight in the back to get traction but then again he does have a fully built drag car that does 7s on the track. He took out the weight once for me cuz I thought it honestly slowed him down alot but sure enough he slid sooooo much more.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

255s and BBK ceramic. and it's fine. this whole shorty vs LT headers argument will never end. it's all up to the persons preference in performance.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Dont matter I still have my two sweet stangs

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Dont forget the weight differences. That could be what might have made the difference and traction I know with 410s you would have more traction problems. A buddy had to put extra weight in the back to get traction but then again he does have a fully built drag car that does 7s on the track. He took out the weight once for me cuz I thought it honestly slowed him down alot but sure enough he slid sooooo much more.
good point. idk I'm good with either header. lol.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

For the vast amount of power the long tubes supposedly give over the shorties you should have won by at least a car and kept pulling after 80.

But you say you didn't so the shorties obviously do something
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
For the vast amount of power the long tubes supposedly give over the shorties you should have won by at least a car and kept pulling after 80.

But you say you didn't so the shorties obviously do something
+1. Longtubes give a great amount of torque and decent hp but only on the mid to high end
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

+1. Longtubes give a great amount of torque and decent hp but only on the mid to high end
Over stock manifolds good long tubes will still yield gains in the low end. You will see this once you put your bassani exhaust on. Just be sure you are properly tuned.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #87
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

What if I got LTH for my 2010 v6 and just got a custom tune for it. Do you think that would eliminate the sluggishness of the LTH?
arwilliams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Just like Dracula, my post from 09/14/2012, has risen from the Grave.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Still doesn't answer the question.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwilliams2 View Post
What if I got LTH for my 2010 v6 and just got a custom tune for it. Do you think that would eliminate the sluggishness of the LTH?
So you got a 2010 V6 which is not the 3.7?

Also LT will not make your car sluggish and if you need more bottom end get gears.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Correct it's a 4.0

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Which gears and how will they effect my gas mpg?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwilliams2 View Post
Correct it's a 4.0

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Which gears and how will they effect my gas mpg?
3.73s seem to be the most popular gear upgrade. Expect to lose a few mpg since you will be driving at higher rpms. Totally worth the tradeoff imo.
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

I have bbk short tune headers.. I love the tone my car has now and I do feel power across the whole rpm band.. I like them
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I have bbk short tune headers.. I love the tone my car has now and I do feel power across the whole rpm band.. I like them
+1 on moving the power band flatter !
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

I want shortys so bad I would much rather have a faster 0-60 than high horse power

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
I want shortys so bad I would much rather have a faster 0-60 than high horse power

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yes I want More TQ

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Man the torque is awesome.. My car really pulls off of the red lights now.. One thing about the short tune headers that I noticed is drastic noise reduction in exhaust noise.. I'm thinking I need an H or X pipe now lol
Old 06-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Man the torque is awesome.. My car really pulls off of the red lights now.. One thing about the short tune headers that I noticed is drastic noise reduction in exhaust noise.. I'm thinking I need an H or X pipe now lol

Your headers have actually made your car quieter? Is that normal?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

I have the magnaflow competition axle backs. This is the exhaust set up I want...

Bbk or Mac shortly headers, bbk high flow catted mid pipe, and my magnaflows.

2012 v6 3.7 Mustang BBK shorty headers AFTER install. - YouTube

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

I have the magnaflow competition axle backs. This is the exhaust set up I want...

Bbk or Mac shortly headers, bbk high flow catted mid pipe, and my magnaflows.

2012 v6 3.7 Mustang BBK shorty headers AFTER install. - YouTube
14mustang v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang v6 View Post
^^^^
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post

I had the pype bombs on before and they were super load.. Then I got the short tune headers and the noise was reduced but I already had borla stingers en route.. The set up sounded nice.. Bbk intake bbk headers stock mid pipe pype bombs axel backs.. But that setup without the short headers is loud and uncontrolled..

Maybe I'm just used to my loud *** pype bombs lol but don't get me wrong my current set up rocks everyone says it sounds furious.. I want to increase the sound a tad but but still thinking about the route I want to go.. As you heard the video above.. That X pipe is raspy.. Sounds mean tho
Old 06-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Yea Idk 100% if I want a catted x pipe or catted h pipe
14mustang v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you do feel the deference?

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Yeah my bbk shi++ies i mean shorties did the same thing to my Roush.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang