SHORTY HEADERS - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Yeah my bbk shi++ies i mean shorties did the same thing to my Roush.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

FastFord, back in August last year you made a post on this thread that you were excited to get the shorties because of what folks were saying about the increased low-end torque. Now that you got them, I understand you don't like how it's quieter, but did you notice a change in performance? I'm asking because I'm interested in getting the new Mac ceramic shorties that BigShow14 has been raving about on another thread. Mac ceramic shorties
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
FastFord, back in August last year you made a post on this thread that you were excited to get the shorties because of what folks were saying about the increased low-end torque. Now that you got them, I understand you don't like how it's quieter, but did you notice a change in performance? I'm asking because I'm interested in getting the new Mac ceramic shorties that BigShow14 has been raving about on another thread. Mac ceramic shorties

Yes you notice a difference.. The added torque can be felt throughout the whole rpm band.. I love my bbk headers but if I could do it again I would go Mac. You will feel the difference at take off for sure.. And yes the exhaust note will change.. It makes the note deeper but brings down how loud it is.. I'm still breaking in my borla s-types but the are not that loud
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I did my gears about the same time as my shorties, and I can say that my car pulls awesome now, whether its all gear or gear with a little header help I'm not sure, I'm probably not the one to ask about their performance only. All I can say is if you are going to do shorties try Mac over BBK, the quality of bbk is garbage and is why myself and others have complained about them. For a made in the USA product I'm very disappointed in them. Someone on here even complained of crack or missing welds! And yes they do tone the sound down a tad.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. Myself, I don't care much about sound, as long as it doesn't sound bad (raspy, fart can, or farm tractor). Loudness doesn't do much for me. But I'd love to have more low end power. With my 2.73 gears it just doesn't feel like a sports car when you don't get thrown into your seat on take off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

You won't feel a huge difference with the shorties especially if you have the 2.73s. I not sure of the direction you are going with your mods but if your tuned or tuning shortly do gears. Yes its more $$ anywhere between 250-500 install but will make a huge difference over any bolt on mod like headers etc.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You won't feel a huge difference with the shorties especially if you have the 2.73s. I not sure of the direction you are going with your mods but if your tuned or tuning shortly do gears. Yes its more $$ anywhere between 250-500 install but will make a huge difference over any bolt on mod like headers etc.

+1 those 2.73's are economic and that's about all.. Lol my next investment is the 4.10's cause I have an auto..
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
+1 those 2.73's are economic and that's about all.. Lol my next investment is the 4.10's cause I have an auto..
You will **** your paints bro! I couldn't believe the difference that just gears made!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

I test drove a 2013 3.7 pp with the 3.31s and even those over the 2.73 were so much better!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. Myself, I don't care much about sound, as long as it doesn't sound bad (raspy, fart can, or farm tractor). Loudness doesn't do much for me. But I'd love to have more low end power. With my 2.73 gears it just doesn't feel like a sports car when you don't get thrown into your seat on take off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No it doesn't sound bad, and I am glad I have shorties......its just unfortunate that the quality is crap from bbk. I have many more mods planned for my ride so I'll just keep my $$$ for more mods rather than replacing them with macs, but I'll gladly help persuade others because of my experience with them.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No it doesn't sound bad, and I am glad I have shorties......its just unfortunate that the quality is crap from bbk. I have many more mods planned for my ride so I'll just keep my $$$ for more mods rather than replacing them with macs, but I'll gladly help persuade others because of my experience with them.

Have you dyno your car? My next mod are going to be Shorties.. One piece drive shift and then if I can procharger.. But shorties for sure

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Have you dyno your car? My next mod are going to be Shorties.. One piece drive shift and then if I can procharger.. But shorties for sure

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
Nope, no dyno.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
The Mac shorties with 2.73 aren't bad the headers actually make the 2.73 a little more tolerable due to the increased low in. The more I put on my car the better it performs. No leaks 1000 miles on them and the finish still looks good.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand and I will change out the gears and tune in time. <8K miles to go before the warranty expires. At this stage I'm just doing a lot of research so I know exactly what to get when I hit 40K. Yeah yeah, go ahead and call me a wuss for not wanting to break the warranty, but I've already had a lot of warranty work done so I'm happy with my decision to wait.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I understand and I will change out the gears and tune in time. <8K miles to go before the warranty expires. At this stage I'm just doing a lot of research so I know exactly what to get when I hit 40K. Yeah yeah, go ahead and call me a wuss for not wanting to break the warranty, but I've already had a lot of warranty work done so I'm happy with my decision to wait.
+1, I definitely won't call anyone a wuss for waiting out their warranty before tuning. You have to be OK with any decision you make concerning modding and I actually envy you for waiting it out, something I couldn't do. Lol Your on the right track. Is your dealer OK with headers?

Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1, I definitely won't call anyone a wuss for waiting out their warranty before tuning. You have to be OK with any decision you make concerning modding and I actually envy you for waiting it out, something I couldn't do. Lol Your on the right track. Is your dealer OK with headers?

Haven't checked! Haha, when I said "I'm interested in the new Mac ceramic shorties" I just meant that it's the leading candidate of what I've researched for what I will do when I hit 40K. However, since you are even proposing that the dealer might be okay with it, I should call them and check so I can get a head start on my performance mods.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

This is the set up I'm going for because I already have a magnaflows.

Mac headers, catted x or h pipe the my magnaflow competition axles

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just an FYI, 4:10s will queer your car for resale value and everyday driveability. Yes I know cause back in the 70s us fools even did things like 4:56 gears on Mopars...

The mid gear for a good low end torque and real world drivability V6 is a 3:55.

I traded my V6/auto for a Coyote MT82 with a 3:31 and get better MPG then I did on the V6 auto with my 3:55.

Do you really want to fork over that huge price to put back the factory gears in your car when you need to trade it in?

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Not much if barely any difference in mpgs from 3.55s to 3.73s and they will pull a little harder when you need them. When I was choosing my gears I deducted that mpgs between 3.55s and 3.73s would be minimal for the extra pull I'd get. Remember its how you drive it that will determine your mpgs. Even when I had my 2.73s I could get bad mpgs if I drove it hard. In a manual 4.10s would be too much but from what people who have autos say its great.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I can agree to that 3.77 in city only driving, but for me it was about the hyway, no not the local interstate loop where you stay about 60mph, but real hyway like I-65 from up north to the south. There is no how you drive for Mpgs at this point, its all math while you are in cruz.

Many places the traffic flow on I-65 or I-95 is 78-85+mph. At 75 the 3.55s in the v6 were turning 2256rpms and giving me 23-24ish. 3.73 will be worse, what are you turning at getting here? When I tested my V6 spinning at 2700-2800, mpgs was about 19-21.

In the V8 Manual .60 overdrive with 3.31s, I spin ~2256 at 85mph and get 24mpg, 28 spinning ~1958 at 75mph. My Coyote gets best mpg between 1900-2250.

Art
Old 06-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Very true, but the Mpgs will be very minimal in comparison. For the manual at 75mph its a difference of 108 RPMS. 3.55s are at 2135 and the 3.73s are at 2243 which is so minimal that I'm not sure if it would even show up on our car computers mpgs. It might show on a 600 mile trip but will be very minimal. Either way I believe they are both the best options for the manual 3.7s. Thumb

Old 06-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

I agree both 3.55/3.73 are good choices. One last item I forgot, I didn't need a aftermarket 3.7 tune with the 3.55s even though at first my Ford dealer said I would. I had the 2.73s, and when they put in the Ford GT 3.55 gear, the dealer calibrated it for a 3.31 with very small tires. They got it to like 1mph of my GPS reading.

That really helped at trade in time for my V8

Art
Old 06-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

So they tuned it to the factory 3.31s and compensated the difference with smaller tires? Do you have any side pics of your ride? What size tires did they use?

Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So they tuned it to the factory 3.31s and compensated the difference with smaller tires? Do you have any side pics of your ride? What size tires did they use?
No, I think I explained it wrong. they calibrated the Ford 3.7 tune for 3.31 with more revs per mile. The stock Pony Pak tires were 235/18s and they stayed the same while the car was told it had smaller ones that turn more revs per mile.

If I get GT500 18/9 and 18/10 (285/35/18) stagered to replace my Stock GT 19/8.5 rims I might have to have that done to keep the ODO in line. I don't like errors that add more mileage to the ODO then what you really are doing.

Art

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang