SHORTY HEADERS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
SHORTY HEADERS

Not many people are running headers in the V6 section. Is that because of:

1) Long Tube Headers don't just bolt on, they require a little shortening of the rest of the exhaust system.

2) They haven't caught up with the 2012 and 2013 Mustangs (Not a Demand from the V6 crowd).
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Price is the biggest factor I think. Most (not all) V6 owners got the V6 because they couldn't afford the V8. The performance gain out of them is only worth it if you're supercharged and/or running gears such as 3.73 or 4.10 imo. You lose too much low end where our cars lack already. You'd be better off with an o/r X on a NA car imo. There are 3 companies that I know that make the LT's. Borla, BBK, and Bassani. Mac is supposed to be coming out with LT's and shorties soon. The reason we haven't seen any short tube headers is because there isn't much gain from them. Stock manifolds flow pretty well. This is what I've heard anyway, when I contacted places such as BBK as to why there isn't any shorty headers. On previous gen 6ers, I always thought shorty headers sounded better so may hold true on our 3.7 as well. I think there would be some gains from the shorties over stock though. May not be much but at least you can get a few more horsies without sacrificing on the low end.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
Price is the biggest factor I think. Most (not all) V6 owners got the V6 because they couldn't afford the V8. The performance gain out of them is only worth it if you're supercharged and/or running gears such as 3.73 or 4.10 imo. You lose too much low end where our cars lack already. You'd be better off with an o/r X on a NA car imo. There are 3 companies that I know that make the LT's. Borla, BBK, and Bassani. Mac is supposed to be coming out with LT's and shorties soon. The reason we haven't seen any short tube headers is because there isn't much gain from them. Stock manifolds flow pretty well. This is what I've heard anyway, when I contacted places such as BBK as to why there isn't any shorty headers. On previous gen 6ers, I always thought shorty headers sounded better so may hold true on our 3.7 as well. I think there would be some gains from the shorties over stock though. May not be much but at least you can get a few more horsies without sacrificing on the low end.
Where do you buy the bassani!?!?!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Google bassani headers
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11
Google bassani headers
Trust me I have
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: SHORTY HEADERS

Found them. Part# S3711 Bassani Exhaust - Bassani.com

3 things factor in with headers for all cars.

Warranty.
Cost.
HP tq gains or losses in some cases.

They are a really easy bolt on for our cars for the most part. They one thing that I have seen people have to do is extend the wires to the 02 sensors as the kits dont supply the correct extenders.

As with all long tube headers, even for V8's - The cost isnt jsut the manifolds. It is also the mid-pipe with cats (which most people need to get through inspection) and then you need to gear the car first. Gears- About $800 installed and then you will shell out another $1-5K depending on the brand of headers. So in reality the jump to headers Will be well over $2 grand for a 10-15 hp gain. Gears eat up HP too but gain in Tq and are a better bang for the buck as you can feel them throughout the powerband.

Shorties will gain almost nothing and you wont feel it much except for at the lower RPM range but will give somewhat of the tone of a LT header.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

I don't want to change the gears. I am not interested in 1/4 times. I want something that can get me down the road a little faster. As for the headers, want the sound. As I live in Indiana, no smog testing here. If they are ever made, are the shorty headers easier to put on without having to do much modification.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
Found them. Part# S3711 Bassani Exhaust - Bassani.com

3 things factor in with headers for all cars.

Warranty.
Cost.
HP tq gains or losses in some cases.

They are a really easy bolt on for our cars for the most part. They one thing that I have seen people have to do is extend the wires to the 02 sensors as the kits dont supply the correct extenders.

As with all long tube headers, even for V8's - The cost isnt jsut the manifolds. It is also the mid-pipe with cats (which most people need to get through inspection) and then you need to gear the car first. Gears- About $800 installed and then you will shell out another $1-5K depending on the brand of headers. So in reality the jump to headers Will be well over $2 grand for a 10-15 hp gain. Gears eat up HP too but gain in Tq and are a better bang for the buck as you can feel them throughout the powerband.

Shorties will gain almost nothing and you wont feel it much except for at the lower RPM range but will give somewhat of the tone of a LT header.
But you can't buy them from there
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
What year are you inquiring about? I put shorties on my 05 V6. What's the big deal lol
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
But you can't buy them from there
Find Bassani Dealers in your Area - Bassani.com

There is a dealer tab on the website. Check the state you live in first.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
I don't want to change the gears. I am not interested in 1/4 times. I want something that can get me down the road a little faster. As for the headers, want the sound. As I live in Indiana, no smog testing here. If they are ever made, are the shorty headers easier to put on without having to do much modification.
Then you want to wait for shorties to come out (11+ car) or just get shorties if you have a '10 back model year car.

LT will change your torque curve in a way that you will loose a lot of low end and even though you are not interested in 1/4 mile times your 0-60 will really bog. It will be like you are starting in 2nd gear from a 5 mile an hour roll. Seriously. You dont want that.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I've been curious about this myself. I do know from past experience that shorty headers give a little bump in low-mid range trq but no real gains in top end while LT headers give a decent bump in top end but kill your low end trq. Personally in a road guy. I like quick launches and road courses and would be more inclined to get shortty headers and a cat back exhaust. Although I don't want any of that odd metallic rasp you usually hear in other V6 vehicles ( Hyundai Genesis, G35-37, 350Z...ect). Anyone have any insight on this or high quality clips to compare? Plus these V6 Mustangs have been around a little over 3 years now, why aren't there any short tube headers for them yet? They got them for the 05-10 models.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Who said headers are going to cost over a grand? It's 600 for BBK long tubes and off road shorty x pipe with our discount from AM. That's a far cry from over a grand.... Also, you don't NEED gears, they will just help out with making up any low end torque you lost.

As far as not seeing shorty headers, not 100% sure. If you think about it though, shorties have allot more bends and tight curves than long tubes. Also have to remember that the manufacturer has to try and keep each pipe length as close to the same as they can. That makes it more difficult to design and produce... It is also posable that the stock shorties flow so well that the small gains seen with aftermarket ones are not worth the price.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
back in the old days you didn't get headers for low end; they were for high end RPMs on cars with the cams for them. Folks that got them without cams had cars that Bogged out, folks with cams that didn't have High Stall converters Bogged out.. same story?

The factory V6 manifolds to me look like they are great for low end where we need it as has been posted. Don't get fooled by mods that are great for high rpm drag cars if you want a nice street machine. I saw fools buy tunnel ram intakes for street cars only to have what we would call "Boggers" not to be confused with folks at Watkins Glen out in the Bog burning a bus

Back in the old days I put a RV cam in my 400cid Mopar and it pulled great on the street in my '72 Sebring Plus GTX type. Today our cams can do both with Ti-VCT.

What is freaking' amazing is that today's V6 engines have more HPr then many of those motors of old.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So is it safe for me to assume that unless I just want a drag car headers would be pointless? Even shorties?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So which would yield the most back pressure over stock? Short or long tubes? I like the sound of long tubes but the drone will be crazy enough with my axle backs. It is my DD and I want as much low end as possible.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Idk about y'all but i actually have BBK Long Tubes with Catted high flow X-Pipe. After install i did notice that i loss a LITTLE bit of Low end grunt. This was fixed with a 91 Hybrid tune from Bamma. I do not have drone because all my connection points have been welding together so no exhaust leaks. I have exhaust hangers throughout my exhaust with rubber bushing so they don't cause vibration to the car. I then had 4.10 gears installed which were not really needed because i was satisfied with my car but was tired of my friend with 3.73 gear kicking my *** in races lol. After gears and headers my car is a damn beast.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Idk about y'all but i actually have BBK Long Tubes with Catted high flow X-Pipe. After install i did notice that i loss a LITTLE bit of Low end grunt. This was fixed with a 91 Hybrid tune from Bamma. I do not have drone because all my connection points have been welding together so no exhaust leaks. I have exhaust hangers throughout my exhaust with rubber bushing so they don't cause vibration to the car. I then had 4.10 gears installed which were not really needed because i was satisfied with my car but was tired of my friend with 3.73 gear kicking my *** in races lol. After gears and headers my car is a damn beast.
what's your mpg? I'm jus curious with 4.10 and longtubes?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

what's your mpg? I'm jus curious with 4.10 and longtubes?
16mpg according to the computer on but i have a app that calculates my real mpg and its 19
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Shorty Headers are a good replacement for stock exhaust manifolds, but do not offer much of a performance boost as the long tubes do. I've used shorty headers as an easy replacement on my F150 when one of its the stock manifolds developed a crack. The short headers were cheaper than a stock replacement (new), so I went with them. They dress up the engine compartment nice, but long tube (if available) are the best performance bet. They do help the 3.7 at the low end of the RPM range a bit, but is it worth it?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Shorty Headers are a good replacement for stock exhaust manifolds, but do not offer much of a performance boost as the long tubes do. I've used shorty headers as an easy replacement on my F150 when one of its the stock manifolds developed a crack. The short headers were cheaper than a stock replacement (new), so I went with them. They dress up the engine compartment nice, but long tube (if available) are the best performance bet. They do help the 3.7 at the low end of the RPM range a bit, but is it worth it?
I thought shorty headers helped low end increasing your 0-60 and long tubes only help top end. shorty are pretty much useless except for sound then?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
So which would yield the most back pressure over stock? Short or long tubes? I like the sound of long tubes but the drone will be crazy enough with my axle backs. It is my DD and I want as much low end as possible.
Ditto
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #22

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Who said headers are going to cost over a grand? It's 600 for BBK long tubes and off road shorty x pipe with our discount from AM. That's a far cry from over a grand.... Also, you don't NEED gears, they will just help out with making up any low end torque you lost.
Discount from am?
2011konablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011konablue View Post
Discount from am?
You get a discount from AM once you have a post count over 50 posts. Search forum for how to get my discount.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Oh nice!!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #25

Region: Illinois
Will do. Thanks
2011konablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'd like to see someone compare catted LTs with ported stock manifolds. I bet the difference isn't much.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I'd like to see someone compare catted LTs with ported stock manifolds. I bet the difference isn't much.
LTs are much different than the stock manifolds by far. The closest would be shorty headers. I wouldn't mind seeing that comparison.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
OP the headers bolt up just fine no problems. But make sure you install the new headers starting from under the car and pull them through. BBK headers you gain horsepower but lose some torque its in a dyno video on youtube somewhere. Borla headers you gain 10-15 more torque over the BBK. But Borla headers cost $1100 compared to BBK at $600. Also Borla headers have a smaller collector size at 2.25" I think BBK are 2.5" at the collector so you would need to use Borla off road pipe with Borla headers or find a 2.25" x pipe from other company maybe lethal pipe will fit. If i had to do it all over again id get the Borla instead of the BBK headers but thats just my opinion. I love the way my car sounds with BBK and Borla Atak axle backs but the extra torque would have been nice from the Borla longtubes.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
OP the headers bolt up just fine no problems. But make sure you install the new headers starting from under the car and pull them through. BBK headers you gain horsepower but lose some torque its in a dyno video on youtube somewhere. Borla headers you gain 10-15 more torque over the BBK. But Borla headers cost $1100 compared to BBK at $600. Also Borla headers have a smaller collector size at 2.25" I think BBK are 2.5" at the collector so you would need to use Borla off road pipe with Borla headers or find a 2.25" x pipe from other company maybe lethal pipe will fit. If i had to do it all over again id get the Borla instead of the BBK headers but thats just my opinion. I love the way my car sounds with BBK and Borla Atak axle backs but the extra torque would have been nice from the Borla longtubes.
Is the stock H pipe on the V6 2.25"? I've been thinking, I may just want to try making my own headers. My dad made his own for his 69" 429. Add a heat shield to cover them and they could look stock.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post

Is the stock H pipe on the V6 2.25"? I've been thinking, I may just want to try making my own headers. My dad made his own for his 69" 429. Add a heat shield to cover them and they could look stock.
It's an X pipe that is stock. Clearly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2428759731.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	93142  
Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

On the 11'+?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

It's an X pipe that is stock. Clearly.
Actually its a hybrid between a X and H. Look it up bro. Its a half n half design by ford.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Actually its a hybrid between a X and H. Look it up bro. Its a half n half design by ford.
and it's stock 2.5". Here's some dyno results of someone running stock, and then with a complete Bassani kit on their v6. LT headers, catted x pipes, and performance mufflers.

Yielded gains of 22rwhp and 42 rwtq...

Def top end gains though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2022326860.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	122243  
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

yo the shorties are sick bro. I got beat by my buddies stang that had them all the way till about 100. I have longtubes.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

and it's stock 2.5". Here's some dyno results of someone running stock, and then with a complete Bassani kit on their v6. LT headers, catted x pipes, and performance mufflers.

Yielded gains of 22rwhp and 42 rwtq...

Def top end gains though
Wouldve gained another 10hp if it was a O/R Xpipe. BBK has comparisons of the LT headers with Catted xpipe and O/R Xpipe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang