Always check over any work done to your car. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Thumbs down Always check over any work done to your car.

Well fun time today.

Took the car in to the dealer for an oil change. Good usual stuff. Find there is an unrepairable nail in the tire. Crap. Can't really do anything about it until Monday so drive the car home.

Pull the car into the driveway and a large nut falls to the ground. Clunk.

Okay pick the nut up off the ground and go into the garage. Jack the car up and get the tire off. I wanted to check and see if the nail was really unrepairable. Well it was, the tire needed replacing and not plugged. The nail was too close to the side way.

Go to put the spare tire on. Clang.... the other half of the bolt falls out from behind the spindle... Guess where that came from. "not cool"

Little back story a month ago had the lower control arm on the drive side changed out because it was screeching like a screen door. Warranty work and it was annoying, but frustration levels were manageable.

So didn't even think about it after the the lower control arm replaced to go behind them and check there work. I took it to them because the car was under warranty and I didn't want to spend the money.

Called the dealer and tried not to raise too much hell. The service manager had already gone home. So spoke with the Sales manager and he called the service manager and he called me after when he was at his home.

The bolt got placed back in it's hole and the nut hand tightened and tapped in place. "Basically to mark" Rolled the car back out of the garage. The tow truck took it back to the dealer.

Well currently I have been demoted to a Ford Escape and Monday the car will be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Really sad thing is the car is really good. Nothing was really wrong until someone touched it.

Any thoughts on how to handle the dealer Monday?
krgorham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Always check over any work done to your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krgorham View Post
Well fun time today.

Took the car in to the dealer for an oil change. Good usual stuff. Find there is an unrepairable nail in the tire. Crap. Can't really do anything about it until Monday so drive the car home.

Okay pick the nut up off the ground and go into the garage. Jack the car up and get the tire off. I wanted to check and see if the nail was really unrepairable. Well it was, the tire needed replacing and not plugged. The nail was too close to the side way.

Go to put the spare tire on. Clang.... the other half of the bolt falls out from behind the spindle... Guess where that came from. "not cool"

Little back story a month ago had the lower control arm on the drive side changed out because it was screeching like a screen door. Warranty work and it was annoying, but frustration levels were manageable.

So didn't even think about it after the the lower control arm replaced to go behind them and check there work. I took it to them because the car was under warranty and I didn't want to spend the money.

Called the dealer and tried not to raise too much hell. The service manager had already gone home. So spoke with the Sales manager and he called the service manager and he called me after when he was at his home.

The bolt got placed back in it's hole and the nut hand tightened and tapped in place. "Basically to mark" Rolled the car back out of the garage. The tow truck took it back to the dealer.

Well currently I have been demoted to a Ford Escape and Monday the car will be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Really sad thing is the car is really good. Nothing was really wrong until someone touched it.

do what my mom does.
she starts off asking, and if they give trouble
raise hell
she does that whenever we get any auto work done. and it has worked out excellently in the past.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by krgorham
Well fun time today.

Wow. That sucks.

It is so sad that the only way to get anything done right is to do it yourself. Even if the place doing the work is Ford and it is their Job.

No pride or attention to detail anymore.

Make them comp you some lowered springs.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Well i will say,,nobodys perfect,, ive never had my car at a shop,,but i work on cars everyday,,never done anything wrong in a major way,,but its easy to make a mistake in anything you do..just make sure they treat you right..youll prob get some free oil changes or something
Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

This is a reason why I'm gonna hate getting the first compulsory oil change at the dealers. The dealers don't hire Mechanics for things like changing a part. They are what I gladly call "PARTS CHANGERS" They don't get paid as much as a real Mechanic and they don't do the quality work A real Mechanic would do. The same with the Lube Monkey's. They get paid so little that they just don't care about changing the fluids on a car they can't afford.

Did you ever wonder why you never find the same lube monkey the next time you go to the dealer for your oil change? Always A new person. "ALWAYS"

Another thing to do is go over your car with the service writer before they move your car. They don't really care much about "DOOR BANGS" as they park the cars so close they can't get out without banging the cars door they are in against the car they park next to. Then they try to tell you they did not cause the dent.

I'll have to go in for my first service soon and I'm gonna watch my car like a HAWK. If that Lube monkey even picks up an air gun to remove or replace my drain plug I'm gonna really come unglued on the whole shop.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
This is a reason why I'm gonna hate getting the first compulsory oil change at the dealers. The dealers don't hire Mechanics for things like changing a part. They are what I gladly call "PARTS CHANGERS" They don't get paid as much as a real Mechanic and they don't do the quality work A real Mechanic would do. The same with the Lube Monkey's. They get paid so little that they just don't care about changing the fluids on a car they can't afford.

Did you ever wonder why you never find the same lube monkey the next time you go to the dealer for your oil change? Always A new person. "ALWAYS"

Another thing to do is go over your car with the service writer before they move your car. They don't really care much about "DOOR BANGS" as they park the cars so close they can't get out without banging the cars door they are in against the car they park next to. Then they try to tell you they did not cause the dent.

I'll have to go in for my first service soon and I'm gonna watch my car like a HAWK. If that Lube monkey even picks up an air gun to remove or replace my drain plug I'm gonna really come unglued on the whole shop.
Ronnie
It's true no one takes pride in there work anymore, that's why I do my own work on my cars! You just cant trust anyone anymore! If it's something big I call my mechanic friend and we tackle it together, it's the only way to get sh** done right. Suck but true! Definitely have the service writer right buy your side as you check over the whole car!!
S197STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krgorham
Fire and ice!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

That blows

Yep! A firm handshake and your foot up someones A$$.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog
That blows

Yep! A firm handshake and your foot up someones A$$.
^ Lmao the best way to handle the situation haha
S197STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197STANG View Post
^ Lmao the best way to handle the situation haha
I thought that might cheer him up
Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

Contact silvrbullet2012, he had good luck at his dealer in Texas.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
Thats right..ive worked on cars even when i was 5 years old with my dad,,but it took 2 years of college to learn the electronics of the new cars,,i consider myself a technician not a mechanic,or parts changer,,hell half the day is staring at wire prints and pinpoints tests before you can even work on anything..
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Ha. My last one was at the dealer and they forgot to plug the radiator fan in. 115 degrees out and 7 min of traffic toasted it. Boom. Show car motor = Very expensive to replace. I popped hood and the fan wasnt hooked up at all. Dumb mistake. Their fault.

Anyway, After insurance threatened a lawsuit (car was their for an insurance claim repair)... they bought the car and got me into my new one... **** happens. I will never bring it there for work again and will always check from now on. Just be glad you didnt get into an accident or cause one because of the faulty work.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, what can it hurt? I have free oil changes for the life of my pony.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #15

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
I thought that might cheer him up
It did cheer me up, and is beyond tempting.

Loosing my temper has never really solved anything, but it def will expedite the process.

I am looking forward to seeing what they have to say and getting my car back this afternoon. I do greatly appreciate the encouragement and reading some other horror stories.

Just sad that we have to endure a little mistake that turns into a cluster.....

I am glad the suspension didn't come undone actually driving don't need any help trying to take myself out of this world.

Thank you all again.
krgorham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

It's not like they are not getting paid, The flat rate scale as everybody knows is so freaking jacked up that it is ridiculous that they still have to skip through a job to get onto the next one without checking out their own work. These so called mechanics need to finish a job completely before starting on another. If they are going to be paid "FLAT RATE" the Manual that gives the cost of a job needs to have a check list for them to clear before signing off.
Example:

Make sure item is plugged back in.

Make certain all hardware is connected and torqued to specs. ( Of course this won't happen because they just adjust the stupid air wrench to as tight as it will go) Most of them don't know what a torque wrench is for.

So on & so on depending on the repair.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang