Is there enough torque... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Is there enough torque...

All Mustangs have one, except the GT500s. They have a Tremec I think.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

@pwrby4d: You can actually go pretty big on the rim, I have done the math before, I forget the exact numbers, but a tire size calculator easily found online, will help. I have 3.55 gears, so I did not want to change the ratio by going to a larger diameter tire. Stock 17's just were not enough though. I went t a 20" rim, and ended up with a tire size that was .2" shorter than stock. As long as you do not change the outside diameter of the tire, you will not affect performance. These cars hook nicely stock, mostly due to suspension enhancements, and a larger outside diameter tire than previous, therefore allowing a larger contact patch. Find yourself a tire size calculator, enter your stock tire size, record the outside diameter in inches, then enter a tire size with the rim size you would like, changing the sidewall number until you get where you wanna be. Tire calc: Metric Tire Conversion Calculator
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Ya tire conversion calculators are also built into the gear calculators too so you can mess around with all the numbers and find out exactly what will work best. That said, the weight of extra metal easily outweighs the weight of the tire adding rotational mass that is not calculated in the tire conversion calculators/ gear conversion calcualtors.

Lots to think about when going big. Most 20"s weigh easily an extra 10 pounds per rim over a 17" which is going to ultimately take out tq and hp. The benefit of going to a full drag slick is tall light tire and smaller lightweight wheel. Not for street use obviously but as an example. The taller tire will bite better and have a slightly larger patch touching the ground in the rotational direction. You get the rotational mass out as much as possible from the equation and minimize torque loss from weight making the calculators as correct as possible. The extra weight added from a big rim at the furthest horizontal points will ultimately make handling suffer when going into a corner hot as well.

It is very important to look at the weight of the tire and the wheel combined. Not all tires weigh the same either.

For everyday street driving honestly who cares. You might notice a loss in pick up or it pushing into corners a bit when you are driving a little spiritedbut. enjoy the look or ride better. I say whatever makes you love driving your car is the right choice ultimately.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, all true. Also, generally when you go up in rim size, the width is going to get larger as well. Once again, more weight and contact patch on the ground.

For the guys paying attention, going to bigger brake rotors has the same negative effects on rotational mass and actually makes the car a bit slower to accelerate, even if it helps braking.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
All Mustangs have one, except the GT500s. They have a Tremec I think.
Yes that is right. I have driven a few GT500's and the car shifts so much better. I think they sell a kit to convert our cars but not worth it and the price of a new / used tranny. Well.. maybe if you are a die hard and tracking your car on the weekends...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Yep, all true. Also, generally when you go up in rim size, the width is going to get larger as well. Once again, more weight and contact patch on the ground.

For the guys paying attention, going to bigger brake rotors has the same negative effects on rotational mass and actually makes the car a bit slower to accelerate, even if it helps braking.
Great point. What makes something better also makes it worse.

Same goes for suspensions. The car might handle better with modification but the ride may suffer or add vibration and noise. Or the transfer of weight changes making the car not hook up as well from a dig, pushes when cornering, is jarring over small bumps etc.

I have modified cars to the point that the ride was almost unbearable for more than around town driving but it could hit a corner at triple the speed limit on a winding road, or at the other end of the spectrum, could launch and squat and keep the front end up transferring all the weight to the rear tires. On the street both sucked for long distance or daily drivers as they suffered ride quality.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by theACE
My car with 275 rear Nitto Invos will not spin tires, it just hooks up.

On my stock Radial TA 225's my car would spin all through 2nd gear.

2011 V6 Auto
I have nt555 275 and they spin off the line
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

with 3.73 gears tho..
Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
You have a 2013 you have newer tires they will hook not spin. Doesnt matter what you turn off.

You have an auto tranny you have relinquished control of the shifting and therefore shal not burn thy rubber.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

You should have been cooler and got a manual....... Burn outs all day long!
I burn out in my auto 2012 v6 like it's my job.
i honestly have no idea what you're talking about....
I'll probably get my friend to take a pic of me doing a burnout, then i'll put it on AM's wall and keep wishing i won the contest
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Back in the late 60's one of my friends had a 68 Fastback with a 390 stick. Another had a Boss 302. When they'd race the 302 would win. When I drove the 68 I'd leave the Boss 302 in the dust. Hookem up and launch it, don't sit there and burn tires. Seems like a waste of money and rubber.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I'll probably get my friend to take a pic of me doing a burnout, then i'll put it on AM's wall and keep wishing i won the contest

From a stop. Without using the brake, Nuetral drop etc. Just jammin on the gas?

Ya post a video.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
The 2013 transmission programming is very different from your 2012. Much more control built in to stop the brake torque and not allow a burn out. Tuners had to find work arounds for us who drag race.

And to the person who asked about a 'neutral drop' - if you are doing that better be prepared to also do the "broke down at the side of the road picking up parts and pieces" when the transmission blows out.

With the tune I can put left foot on the brake and give it gas to break the rear end free with ease now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly. Oh, And powerbrakng isn'e exactly great for a tranny either lol. Again. The tune issue makes it impossible with a '13. I still would like to see a video of the '12 laying 20ft of rubber without using the brake. And even without a tune you need to use the brake to get it done on the '13 right?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

The 2013 transmission programming is very different from your 2012. Much more control built in to stop the brake torque and not allow a burn out. Tuners had to find work arounds for us who drag race.

And to the person who asked about a 'neutral drop' - if you are doing that better be prepared to also do the "broke down at the side of the road picking up parts and pieces" when the transmission blows out.

With the tune I can put left foot on the brake and give it gas to break the rear end free with ease now.
Okay
I didn't know that.
And when I burnout I just turn off traction and torque brake and let her go
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

It's also not good for your rear brakes either

Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #51

Region: California

You know, it's funny that I started this thread about spinning tires since I do everything in my power NOT to spin tires in my 2001 F-150 which is a 2-wheel drive, 5.4L, 3.55 limited slip, extended cab pickup. Of course, there are no nannies on that thing. My truck has a lot more grunt down low but my '13 Mustang feels like it revs to the moon and pulls hard as the revs climb. Coming from mostly V8 musclecars and trucks, I am really enjoying this V6, especially since I got 28.5 mpg on a trip last week even with the optional 3.31 gears. That was calculated manually and closely matched the computer's estimate. Anyway, I don't really want to burn the tires. I was just curious as to what others had tried. By the way, with the addition of the Mustang I have all my bases covered. Check out the pic. Go Ford!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	69700  
darvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

HaH! Great pic!
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

haha awesome pic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang