Is there enough torque... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #1

Region: California
Is there enough torque...

to spin the tires from a standstill with a 2013 Automatic V6 with the 3.31 gears? I'm not talking about doing a brakestand, just a good old fashioned foot-to-the-floor jackrabbit start. In previous vehicles that I owned, Nova, Trans Am, Thunderbird SC, I could light up the tires without having to load up the car against the brake. I'm not into beating up the car. I just want to know if it has the capability.
darvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Is there enough torque...

Take off traction control its easy
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

if my '04 v6 can do it with an auto and 3.27 gears i don't see how you'd have any issue

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

dang, mine barely manages a squeak. just hooks up and gets out. got teh sticky 19s tho
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I thought they made the 13 not spin the tires and hook. It also won't burn out easy. My 11 will just go if you floor it
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alludc View Post
dang, mine barely manages a squeak. just hooks up and gets out. got teh sticky 19s tho
Make sure you take off both traction controls. For those that don't know.

The advancetrac has 2 stages. The first is just pressing the button. Their is a second stage that requires the button to be held.

If you hold the button for 5 seconds with the brake applied and are at a full stop you will see advancetrac off.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

I've never tried doing a low rpm flooring with traction off in my MT82 either. I know I can break them loose dumping the clutch, even shifting 2nd to 3rd... No idea about a full throttle start. Mine is 2.73 gears though.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My car with 275 rear Nitto Invos will not spin tires, it just hooks up.

On my stock Radial TA 225's my car would spin all through 2nd gear.

2011 V6 Auto
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

With a clutch it is easy if you let it out at a high rpm I suppose. It wont do it with a base 2.73 from a clutch rolling out slow and then punching it.

Honestly, my 06 GT when it was bone stock and had the 3.31 gear and Auto taranny would be able to do it easily. The 3.7 doesnt have the low end torque with a 2.73 or even a 3.31 gear. I think it needs at least a 3.73 to make that happen. These cars just dont have it down low. The first gear and rear gear ratio isnt enough... The car doesnt come alive until 3k.

Our cars have more torque at the top of 1st and into 2nd. Hell I can chirp the tires into 3rd with 2.73 gears and the stock 17 wheels with the 225 Radial TA's.

I was very interrested in a bigger rim but after driving on the 17 and seeing the low end torque in the crapper I dont want anything bigger.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My 05 GT with 4.10's hardly spins the tires from a peddle to the floor start...

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
With a clutch it is easy if you let it out at a high rpm I suppose. It wont do it with a base 2.73 from a clutch rolling out slow and then punching it.

Honestly, my 06 GT when it was bone stock and had the 3.31 gear and Auto taranny would be able to do it easily. The 3.7 doesnt have the low end torque with a 2.73 or even a 3.31 gear. I think it needs at least a 3.73 to make that happen. These cars just dont have it down low. The first gear and rear gear ratio isnt enough... The car doesnt come alive until 3k.

Our cars have more torque at the top of 1st and into 2nd. Hell I can chirp the tires into 3rd with 2.73 gears and the stock 17 wheels with the 225 Radial TA's.

I was very interrested in a bigger rim but after driving on the 17 and seeing the low end torque in the crapper I dont want anything bigger.
Take traction control off, you won't ever type those words again....

My car has plenty of low end torque, it isn't totally limp below 3K.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have the TC completely off. Are we talking a little churp or a tire smoker form a dig?
This car will churp'em at best. Compared to cars I have owned in the past. This car is a dog down low.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
My 05 GT with 4.10's hardly spins the tires from a peddle to the floor start...
My last 06 GT had 430's and was an auto car with a ton of money into the motor, suspension, drivetrain etc. It wouldnt do it with the stock gears but it would spin them pretty good form a dig but not a tire smokin' stand still burnout just from dropping the hammer... and it was a low 12 sec 1/4 mile car with a ton of money into it. It was far from stock.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #14

I am not talking about a fender filling smoky exhibition, just layin' down about a 25 foot patch of rubber. Perhaps suspension improvements have also led to better traction as some of the old musclecars that I have driven had crappy leaf spring suspensions. Combine a crappy suspension with a ton of low end torque and you can light up the rear tires just by staring at the gas pedal too hard.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
The 2013 automatic has a torque management built in. The system will not allow you to do a burnout. You can't brake torque over 2,000 RPM without a tune to overcome the stock tune. Turning off TCS or the full advance track won't do it. (working with Doug he had me try a tune with TCS, advance trac, and ABS all turned off in the tune with no effect). Working on it more he found the combination in the program to override the limit

With a tune the management can be turned off though. The GT automatic has the same issue stock. It isn't a matter of having enough RWHP or torque; it is a tuning issue.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darvil View Post
I am not talking about a fender filling smoky exhibition, just layin' down about a 25 foot patch of rubber. Perhaps suspension improvements have also led to better traction as some of the old musclecars that I have driven had crappy leaf spring suspensions. Combine a crappy suspension with a ton of low end torque and you can light up the rear tires just by staring at the gas pedal too hard.

ya that aint happening. not with the stock gears. anyone that can get that done without using the brake or e-brake, i want to see video.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The 2013 automatic has a torque management built in. The system will not allow you to do a burnout. You can't brake torque over 2,000 RPM without a tune to overcome the stock tune. Turning off TCS or the full advance track won't do it. (working with Doug he had me try a tune with TCS, advance trac, and ABS all turned off in the tune with no effect). Working on it more he found the combination in the program to override the limit

With a tune the management can be turned off though. The GT automatic has the same issue stock. It isn't a matter of having enough RWHP or torque; it is a tuning issue.

there ya go. wont do it stock.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well in that case, I am glad I didn't get a 2013....they look ugly and have more nannies.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Lol... I think most people agree that we have the nicest *** thanks to the snazzy tail lights and blacked rear panel. The stock front bumper is kinda bleh, but yours isn't stock anymore either...

Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ford has had a torque management system in all the s197 cars. The only way to turn it all off is with a tune. Even with the TCS completely off if you have an auto you have a torque management system in place unless you got through an SCT to turn it off. I had the Diablosport tuner for my 06 GT and switched to a SCT for that reason alone.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Lol... I think most people agree that we have the nicest *** thanks to the snazzy tail lights and blacked rear panel. The stock front bumper is kinda bleh, but yours isn't stock anymore either...
The reason why I never got the 10-12 car was because of the rear end lights. The nose I like on the 10, 11, 12 and 13. I like the GT500ish nose on the 13 better but the 12 back looks nice too. The rear though... yuk.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
The reason why I never got the 10-12 car was because of the rear end lights. The nose I like on the 10, 11, 12 and 13. I like the GT500ish nose on the 13 better but the 12 back looks nice too. The rear though... yuk.
Ditto. I agree on all the front ends being nice. We can even swap to the '13 GT500 rear valance just by trimming the bumper and buying a $200 piece from the dealer. I've been tempted to do that lately.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Can cut a whole in the hood and add the GT500 heat extractor too. I have cut these hoods before, They are easy.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I havent had any trouble with mine. Just dump the clutch and hold on . Not.good for it but cant say i didnt try it . Does a good donut too.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ya.. Dumping the clutch will do it for sure... but we are talking about not dumping the clutch or braking. Just rolling out the clutch as slow as possible with as little gas and then once it settles in.. A 2 mile an hour roll... MASHING your foot to the floor.

I tried it today. No burnout, No smoke not even a real chirp until I hit second and then chirped third.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Ahh Gotcha.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by darvil
to spin the tires from a standstill with a 2013 Automatic V6 with the 3.31 gears? I'm not talking about doing a brakestand, just a good old fashioned foot-to-the-floor jackrabbit start. In previous vehicles that I owned, Nova, Trans Am, Thunderbird SC, I could light up the tires without having to load up the car against the brake. I'm not into beating up the car. I just want to know if it has the capability.
You have a 2013 you have newer tires they will hook not spin. Doesnt matter what you turn off.

You have an auto tranny you have relinquished control of the shifting and therefore shal not burn thy rubber.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

You should have been cooler and got a manual....... Burn outs all day long!
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

relinquished control... lol. The rubber shal be none for thou. lol
Old 09-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #27

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to say get a manual. Well, I would have if I didn't have stainless steel parts holding my left knee together.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

It's ok. Nothing wrong with driving an auto. I really wanted a manual again or I'd probably gotten one. They're supposedly faster anyway.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to say get a manual. Well, I would have if I didn't have stainless steel parts holding my left knee together.
Don't take it seriously. Everyone here busts balls. For the most part you will find this a great place for information as well as a cool place to hang out and become friends with diehard car people probably a lot like yourself. I got my last one as an auto and I will tell you honestly there are many times I miss it. The autos are faster anyway and have been proven to have less problems than the manuals. I almost bought another auto but last minute I decided to get a manual. That said you get a little better gas milage too. Nothing wrong with an auto. And as far a s spinning the wheels as you can see the manuals dont do it any better from a roll without revving the hell out of it and dropping the clutch. The right choice was buying a car you can drive comfortably.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #30

I'm not upset, just trying to make you guys feel bad. I don't mind having the auto. I was also a little nervous about the Chinese-made MT-82.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It's not that it's Chinese made. It's fact their subcontractor for bearings and such was CHEAP. Chinese can make some good stuff.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I thought the mt-82 was German made? If so it should be better than what it is. Chinese made in a Merican car? Hell naw
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not upset, just trying to make you guys feel bad. I don't mind having the auto. I was also a little nervous about the Chinese-made MT-82.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I thought the mt-82 was German made? If so it should be better than what it is. Chinese made in a Merican car? Hell naw
From what I have heard it is a Germen designed tranny that is manufactured largely with Chinese made internals that have been known to not hold up so well. Where they are assembled I dont know but it could be China. Regardless I did replace the shifter mount with a Barton and it is a night and day difference.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, Getrag is a German design, Chinese manufactured. The main two issues are bearings and clutch forks from what I understand. They're not as high quality as they should be. When they work, they work though. There are some MT82s taking a beating in some high output 5.0 apps with no internals modified.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Does a boss have one of these or is it raced ready too? Jw

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang