newbie question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
newbie question

I have been prowling around the forums trying to increase my general knowledge, and I keep hearing about tunes. What exactly is a tune?
Ryanjcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It's a reprogramming of your cars computer usually to make it run more efficiently like making it perform better or increase has mileage. Tunes are also used for your bolt on mods that you might add such as gears or high flow cats or maybe a cai tune required. If you want to keep your warranty I'd steer clear from them for a little while
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If you bought a 2011, you should be creeping up on the no warranty zone. At least this was my case. Tunes are the best for your money. But me personally, do it last so you only have to give the specs for your car once.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: newbie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
If you bought a 2011, you should be creeping up on the no warranty zone. At least this was my case. Tunes are the best for your money. But me personally, do it last so you only have to give the specs for your car once.
unless you go with bama, then you've got free tunes for life
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

unless you go with bama, then you've got free tunes for life
But who wants to right up different tunes Everytime you buy a mod. Plus it'll only hold three so to me it's more efficient to do it in the end.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok good to know. Its a '12 and Ive got 45k left on the warranty and lots of other mods to do. Thinking exhaust first for sure, then cai
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjcain
Ok good to know. Its a '12 and Ive got 45k left on the warranty and lots of other mods to do. Thinking exhaust first for sure, then cai
Some dealers are super super super picky about what voids warranty. Mine told me flowmasters wouldn't void it but magnoflows(the ones I want) will. They also said the strut tower brace, gears over 3.31, and a cold air intake would void it. I kinda giggled and said, have a good one and got in my car and left. Never been back since.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So, ask my dealer before any mods, check.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
My dealers/parts dept. Told me that unless it was the cause of failure, It would be fine for a CAI, axleback exhuast and a tune.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
My dealers/parts dept. Told me that unless it was the cause of failure, It would be fine for a CAI, axleback exhuast and a tune.
Who is your dealer lol mine were a bunch of well, pricks because I didn't buy my car from them. I bought it at a bigger, more reputable dealer 2 hours away. They wouldn't even disable my drl's. but when it came for tires they cut me a good deal. Weirdos I say.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Did you buy your car at town and country?
Whiteboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That directed at me whiteboss?
If so, no I got mine at a local auto group that carries new and used vehicles of various makes, although mine came from the Ford lot that they also own across the street.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No I was talking to white lighting. I seen he was from Alabama and seen his pics.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

See, with the warranty thing, you can catch the dealerships at a loss. In my line of work, I get the "dealership said it was the alarm" all the time. Dealerships, well, mostly the service staff will start to look at a car, see an aftermarket part, and instantly get it out and tell the customer, "yeah, your windshield washer sprayer is clogged because of the aftermarket alarm system, take it back to them, it's their fault". Curtin's Dealership was correct. I have a stack of these printed out, specifically for customers who have under warranty cars. Here's a link, Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, unless it can be proven that the aftermarket part in question directly caused the issue in question, the dealership cannot simply deny you warranty. I have seen several of my own customers (with different vehicles, not just Mustangs...) sue dealerships and win. Dealership techs (no disrespect, but this is true) work on the same cars day in and day out. Ninety nine percent of them have very little if any true aftermarket knowledge, especially mobile electronics, so as they are working on the 5th Dodge Magnum of the day, they find an after market exhaust..."Sir, you have an aftermarket exhaust on th car, that basically voids your warranty, and I will not replace your ball joint. Take it to who ever put on the exhaust, it's their fault."
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I got mine at long Lewis in Hoover, al. Great service I must add. But the dealership I talked to was Tallapoosa ford. They sell their vehicles high and hate doing work. It's why no one buys from them. I asked them though about mods under warranty an what they would install an that was the answer I was given.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel View Post
See, with the warranty thing, you can catch the dealerships at a loss. In my line of work, I get the "dealership said it was the alarm" all the time. Dealerships, well, mostly the service staff will start to look at a car, see an aftermarket part, and instantly get it out and tell the customer, "yeah, your windshield washer sprayer is clogged because of the aftermarket alarm system, take it back to them, it's their fault". Curtin's Dealership was correct. I have a stack of these printed out, specifically for customers who have under warranty cars. Here's a link, Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, unless it can be proven that the aftermarket part in question directly caused the issue in question, the dealership cannot simply deny you warranty. I have seen several of my own customers (with different vehicles, not just Mustangs...) sue dealerships and win. Dealership techs (no disrespect, but this is true) work on the same cars day in and day out. Ninety nine percent of them have very little if any true aftermarket knowledge, especially mobile electronics, so as they are working on the 5th Dodge Magnum of the day, they find an after market exhaust..."Sir, you have an aftermarket exhaust on th car, that basically voids your warranty, and I will not replace your ball joint. Take it to who ever put on the exhaust, it's their fault."
+1
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Who is your dealer lol mine were a bunch of well, pricks because I didn't buy my car from them. I bought it at a bigger, more reputable dealer 2 hours away. They wouldn't even disable my drl's. but when it came for tires they cut me a good deal. Weirdos I say.
Mine was Townsend Ford. Nevwr had any trouble with them.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I got mine at town and country couple guys I work with have bought all their mustangs their. They all told me that they take good care of u on warranty work And most of their mechanics have mustang and race. So they understand to an extent
Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Js whiteboss, you bought a boss at worth upwards of 40k. They will give you great service. The more you spend the better, or at least that's been my dealership trend I've noticed. Mine was 20k and that was with some haggling and they were amazing as far as service and questions. But my local one, woah. Bad place, bad place. The mustang modding mechanics helps too. Wish I had that kind of mechanic
Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My froend zak works in the roush dept. At town and country he got me.the employee disc. On my exhuast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang