Rusty rear axle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Rusty rear axle

Does anyone else ever notice a very rusty rear axle on their Mustang. I grant you it is only surface rust but it is not to nice looking.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this rusty rear axle thing going on.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: Rusty rear axle

They all do it. I had my last rear out of the car and painted it with rustoleum hammerite and it held up fine.

You can get that rustoleum hammerite paint in a can and put the car on a lift and do it easyn with a brush if it bothers you. We did a friends car that way. Cheaper than POR15 and looks really nice when done.

I plan on painting this one too when I get the time. The rust will actually help the hammerite bond so you just need to brush off the loose stuff.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Mine is rusted too and has either grease or oil coming from this little nub on the passenger side. Breather valve maybe?
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Rear end, pulleys, etc rust on these cars. Normal
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
They all do it. I had my last rear out of the car and painted it with rustoleum hammerite and it held up fine.

You can get that rustoleum hammerite paint in a can and put the car on a lift and do it easyn with a brush if it bothers you. We did a friends car that way. Cheaper than POR15 and looks really nice when done.

I plan on painting this one too when I get the time. The rust will actually help the hammerite bond so you just need to brush off the loose stuff.
This!!!!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Mine is rusted too and has either grease or oil coming from this little nub on the passenger side. Breather valve maybe?
Ya that is a breather valve. I guess to be safe you could check the fluid level. The cap is located on the drivers side up top. Take the top off with the car level. It should be full and if you stick your finger in there some should come out. If not, add fluid until it comes out. The rear axle tubes are not sealed from the diff housing.

Before you do that though you it wouldnt hurt to put a rag over the breather and get some of whatever is coming out and smell it to diagnose if it is gear oil or just grease.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d

Ya that is a breather valve. I guess to be safe you could check the fluid level. The cap is located on the drivers side up top. Take the top off with the car level. It should be full and if you stick your finger in there some should come out. If not, add fluid until it comes out. The rear axle tubes are not sealed from the diff housing.

Before you do that though you it wouldnt hurt to put a rag over the breather and get some of whatever is coming out and smell it to diagnose if it is gear oil or just grease.
Could it be the reason I'm having some weird popping noises sometimes in the rear end?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #8

Region: Texas

Same here on the rust. .I am planning on going to Home depot to get some paint. Something also I do Is weekly pull the rear diff plug and clean the magnet. Since the gears are breaking in .. To keep as much metal out . Maybe I am alil OCD lol..
mjp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, From what I have been told: The axles are made of cast iron and will have that surface coating of rust but it does not affect the integrity of the axle.

It sure does not look nice at all on any car let alone a Ford Mustang.
I have heard on the MCA forum that the dealers will paint the axle if you complain enough. The only problem with that is that the person they let paint your axle will probably paint the inside of your wheels and everything else that don't need overspray on it.

I sure don't want some idiot turned loose with an aerosol spray can under my car. I guess i'll just live with a rusty rear axle.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Could it be the reason I'm having some weird popping noises sometimes in the rear end?
Well the popping noise is probably just driveline noise between the driveshaft, pinion and trans.

IF you have a whine, or churps when turning hard or doing a figure 8... That would be a reason to check the fluid for sure. If you ever have to add a lot it would not hurt to add some friction modifier too.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Well, From what I have been told: The axles are made of cast iron and will have that surface coating of rust but it does not affect the integrity of the axle.

It sure does not look nice at all on any car let alone a Ford Mustang.
I have heard on the MCA forum that the dealers will paint the axle if you complain enough. The only problem with that is that the person they let paint your axle will probably paint the inside of your wheels and everything else that don't need overspray on it.

I sure don't want some idiot turned loose with an aerosol spray can under my car. I guess i'll just live with a rusty rear axle.

Ronnie
Pep Boys (at least out here anyway) will rent a lift hourly. It would not take more than a half hour to paint it with a brush. The hammerite dries really quick and is tough too.
Correct. The rust is just surface rust and though it is ugly it is only cosmetic and does not make the part inferior.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

The quart can will be more than enough. You would not even go through 1/4 can. You could also do the crank pulley too.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11
Rear end, pulleys, etc rust on these cars. Normal
Unless the pulley is billet aluminum like mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-539858577.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	592.1 KB
ID:	69810  
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #12

Region: Canada
Popping noise could be something different altogether. If its noticeable when going over sharp bumps or makes more of a groan type noise when pulling out of driveways it's most likely a rear stabilizer link/suspension issue.
Lucy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I was just looking at my under side the other day and realized the amount of rust is crazy! At first I kind of was worried, but my neighbor is a old Ford mechanic and said that it's normal.

This is sort of on the same topic, are all of our Mustangs under coated when they're produced? Winter is coming up and it looks like I'm going to have to drive it and if they're not, I think it would be a good idea to have it done... thoughts?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My old car was undercoated with aftermarket stuff (dealer did it before I got it) as I lived in the mountains in NJ. The body of cars today has a rust preventative that is applied during the manufacturing process. It is done with an electro plating process that dips the parts before they are primed and pained. That said, Having your car sprayed with undercoating could further help esp floor boards and behind the tires etc. where salt gets thrown up when driving. Making sure that you clear the undercarriage from salt and debree after driving in bad weather always is a big task but will help greatly too.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Does anyone else ever notice a very rusty rear axle on their Mustang. I grant you it is only surface rust but it is not to nice looking.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this rusty rear axle thing going on.

Ronnie
Yes I've got it on my 06. It came from Maryland, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But I completely agree Ronnie.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang