Flowmaster 40 Series - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
So after getting some inspiration from the forum, I've decided to have a set of Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers installed on Black Betty. I ordered from Streetside Auto for around 165 for both with free shipping on Thursday morning. One of the mufflers got here Friday morning while the others coming on Tuesday. Should have them both installed by Saturday afternoon. I will post up a vid once they are installed. This week is going to drag waiting to get the mufflers on lol.
davewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Flowmaster 40 Series

I'm looking forward to your video of these. I'm trying to decide whether to buy an axleback or get mufflers welded on at a shop. None of the axlebacks really sound like what I'm looking for. I'm interested in the Mac axlebacks but can't find a video of them on the 3.7.
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Awesome. I love mine. Get compliments on them and many people think its a v8 from the tone. Waiting sucks. The price of the Force II system which uses the 40 series mufflers has went up in price. Now they are asking 500-515 bucks for them. Makes having your stock pipes modified worth the savings.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV
I'm looking forward to your video of these. I'm trying to decide whether to buy an axleback or get mufflers welded on at a shop. None of the axlebacks really sound like what I'm looking for. I'm interested in the Mac axlebacks but can't find a video of them on the 3.7.
I was interested in the Macs too. But as you said no video clips to be found. I was going to go with a bolt on kit too but the ultra inflated prices turned me off if that idea.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
Awesome. I love mine. Get compliments on them and many people think its a v8 from the tone. Waiting sucks. The price of the Force II system which uses the 40 series mufflers has went up in price. Now they are asking 500-515 bucks for them. Makes having your stock pipes modified worth the savings.
Sweet. Your video sealed the deal for me as far as sound is concerned.

And yea, 500 bucks for 170 dollar mufflers is nuts lol.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was also interested in the Macs but as far as I know they don't even have them available yet.

I found my Force II set on ebay brand new and won the auction for $325 shipped brand new. The cheapest I saw them then was $425. I was looking for series 40 mufflers to do as you are doing and stumbled across the set. Figured for the extra I was getting the tips and no welding or dealing with a muffler shop so I grabbed them. If I hadn't I would have done what you are doing. They will sound the same.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was also interested in the Macs but as far as I know they don't even have them available yet.

I found my Force II set on ebay brand new and won the auction for $325 shipped brand new. The cheapest I saw them then was $425. I was looking for series 40 mufflers to do as you are doing and stumbled across the set. Figured for the extra I was getting the tips and no welding or dealing with a muffler shop so I grabbed them. If I hadn't I would have done what you are doing. They will sound the same.
Nice catch with the auction. 325 is a great price.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE

So I got the 40 Series installed today. I've gotta say it sounds great lol. Definitely louder than I thought it would be but in a good way. In first gear at takeoff it sounds amazing. When I lug the engine the sound is so so, but I think I just need to get used to it. My gas mileage is sucking right now because I'm making it a point to wind the car out to hear the mufflers lol. I will post up a video when I get a chance.

Overall, I think going with the welded in mufflers is a great alternative to the exorbitant price manufacturers are charging for axle backs.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

ha i lost gas milage at first too. lol. same reason. the low end lugging of a v6 will never change no matter what muffler you put on. the even firing order of the cylinders makes the tone that way. glad you like them.

so... what was the total cost?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ha i lost gas milage at first too. lol. same reason. the low end lugging of a v6 will never change no matter what muffler you put on. the even firing order of the cylinders makes the tone that way. glad you like them.

so... what was the total cost?
I definitely like them. Looking for reasons to drive so I can here them lol.

The total cost was about 260 or so.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

awesome deal. post clips and pics if you can. what tips did you go with? did you re-use the stock tips?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
awesome deal. post clips and pics if you can. what tips did you go with? did you re-use the stock tips?
I reused the stock tips. It looks completely stock but sounds great lol.

I will definitely post pics and a vid once I get the chance
Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. I actually like the stock tips/ single cut style better than the dual wall. I might have my stock ones cut and welded onto the ones I have too.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Can't wait to see your pics and video. Sounds like you got a great deal. Way cheaper than buying an axle back.

On older V6 Mustangs Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers had an almost V8-like idle sound. Do they sound similar on the 3.7 V6?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Josh. I would say absolutely yes but with a little less drone. I love mine.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Josh. I would say absolutely yes but with a little less drone. I love mine.
This.

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Cool. I actually like the stock tips/ single cut style better than the dual wall. I might have my stock ones cut and welded onto the ones I have too.
They look good man. I like the subtle look of stock with an aftermarket sound.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

ya i do too. the tips are removable on the Force II so it is certainly an option as I could probably sell the Flowmaster tips too..
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ya i do too. the tips are removable on the Force II so it is certainly an option as I could probably sell the Flowmaster tips too..
I bet someone would buy the tips on here or CL. It's worth a shot at least right?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I know the tips sell new for like 40 bucks a side or something like that.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya I know the tips sell new for like 40 bucks a side or something like that.
Dooooo it lol
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Is 2.5" in/out the correct size? I've seen an ad on another forum from a guy selling a pair of new Flowmaster 40's with 2.5" in/out for $75+shipping. Considering picking these up instead of an axleback because I don't have a lot of money, and also because I don't want to spend $500+ on something that ends up to be too loud, or doesn't sound the way I want.

Volume is a big factor in my exhaust choice. I'm still living at home and my mom says I can't have a loud exhaust if I want to live here. She's concerned I'm going to wake up the neighbors since our drive way is right next to their bedroom, and I get home from work around 4:30 AM. Are these really that loud when backing into a driveway?

Do you guys think a muffler shop could make me an axleback from these mufflers fairly inexpensively? I don't want to have them welded on in case I need warranty work done at some point.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

2.25 inlet. 2.5 outlet. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to size the pipe down on the inlet side. As far as warranty work goes replacing a muffler will not void anything except the muffler and the pipes attached to it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I hope you're liking them man. It really just changes driving me for. Hah I just love it.
SliverStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang