Manual Button on 2013 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Region: Indiana
Manual Button on 2013 V6

This may be a really stupid question, but I just bought a '13 V6 Mustang. I know the button on the gear shift is for manually switching gears, but when and how do I use this? My last one was a stripped down model so there were no options to try and figure out. Help me please!
carlacarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
If you put the shifter all the way back to "S" for sport mode you can use the +/- to shift for yourself. More useful for the road track guys since it will hold a gear and downshift on demand . Not as much use for us who drag race since the automatic does a much better job.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Region: Texas
Re: Manual Button on 2013 V6

I have a 13 with the same setup..... I really dont use it . As Jim said. The automatic setting does the job just fine. Although it has a nice "cool" factor and I do like the shifter knob change..
mjp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Region: Indiana
Thank you! I will at some point try it, probably nothing I will ever need... But I think it will be fun to hit the track and give it a whirl.
carlacarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlacarcus
This may be a really stupid question, but I just bought a '13 V6 Mustang. I know the button on the gear shift is for manually switching gears, but when and how do I use this? My last one was a stripped down model so there were no options to try and figure out. Help me please!
You can put the tranny in S mode and let it shift automatically. It will hold the gears longer and down shift more agressively. Great for around town as opposed to D which is Overdrive for out on the highway. Or you can put it in S mode and use the +/- buttons to shift it yourself holding each gear to redline if you wanted or short bursts up your street or in parking lots. On my 2012 sometimes in parking lots I will manually shift 1st to 2nd so the car isnt in 4th gear while im driving slow.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

Region: Texas
"Midnight".. Like the Black .. lol... Thats how i use my sport shift as well fro in town then on highway i kick it into D.. The six spd is a very BUSY tranny . Alot of shiftin in and out out gears in town. So i opt for sport mode. then on long straights . D.
mjp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
wont make it faster, rather useless feature unless you drive around in the mountains. Just something else to mess with~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
wont make it faster, rather useless feature unless you drive around in the mountains. Just something else to mess with~
Even on the highway it is much better at times to be able to drop a gear or two without having to put your foot to the floor and go WOT. There is a lot to be said about having this car in the proper rpm range for best throttle response. In the city, on the highway, track or in the mountains. This argument I hear "you should have gotten a manual" seems to me to just be ignorance on how to drive a car. It's a nice feature to have and can get you out of a tight spot if you know how to use it. And being in the right gear at the right time can make your car faster at lower speeds and throttle.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp70
"Midnight".. Like the Black .. lol... Thats how i use my sport shift as well fro in town then on highway i kick it into D.. The six spd is a very BUSY tranny . Alot of shiftin in and out out gears in town. So i opt for sport mode. then on long straights . D.
+1.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
it could come in handy for sure, but generally if you downshift you are in need of the throttle anyway as you are wanting to speed up.

the whole manual vs auto thats just personal preference, everyone has an opinion and neither are right 100%. It used to be manual = faster, but not its not so much the case anymore. Now its Manual = more fun to some but not to all~ who knows.

Either way the manual shift in the auto is nothing like an actual manual trans but its at least an option to mess with and at times can be useful.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I dont know SpectorV. Ive driven manuals most my life and shifted the automatics I did have. Its very much the same wxcept for lack of a clutch and the auto wont let you over rev upon downshift. And there can be plenty need for torque at half throttle to speed up without yiur foot to the floor. Even more so in these cars. Many a time driving dlow on the freeway behind cars and the next lane opens up. Youve got to move. Put the pedal to the metal and these trannys want to think before they down shift. By the time they do then youre full throttle into the car in front of you because its too late to change lanes. Much better to downshift the tranny to a lower gear and be ready to move. I suppose its better to agree to disagree but I hate that term.
One last example. On my street we have speed bumps. The short distance to the bump and at very low spped Im in 3rd with no torque. Its much better to leave it in first.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang