Headlight questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Headlight questions

Are bulb upgrades a good idea for my car? Usually I would have bought the h13 and be done but I have the once again pesky drl. So would shelling out the 40-50 be a bad idea since they will always be on and they already have a semi low-mid bulb life?
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
Are bulb upgrades a good idea for my car? Usually I would have bought the h13 and be done but I have the once again pesky drl. So would shelling out the 40-50 be a bad idea since they will always be on and they already have a semi low-mid bulb life?
Ok stupid question what are drls?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Daytime running lights. They come on at half power that the regular headlights would Everytime the car is in a gear besides park.
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You can disable drls, I'm not sure exactly how, but I've seen it on here
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

On a 2011? Without a dealer? Please sir do tell me more
Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Daytime running lights. They come on at half power that the regular headlights would Everytime the car is in a gear besides park.
Wait do your headlights are half powered? I don't understand haha
Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Alright bro, when in park and my lights are in the O position, they are off. As soon as I shift into reverse, drive, or a number gear the headlights come on at half power no matter what. If I select the P option on my headlight switch, my parking lights come on and the headlights are still half power. When I turn the headlights on they are at full power and standard brightness. Then I can use high an low beams. It looks super tacky if you have it.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hey Moonshine, check your pm.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I can't just disable them so I won't have to deal with the half power and burning an expensive bulb
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can't just disable them so I won't have to deal with the half power and burning an expensive bulb
That sounds like such a dumb thing to put on a car! Like what is even the point?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

That sounds like such a dumb thing to put on a car! Like what is even the point?
Better visibility on the road. Most rentals and Canadian cars have them. Mine was a rental...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Better visibility on the road. Most rentals and Canadian cars have them. Mine was a rental...
Half power = better visibility? Not trying to argue or anything
Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I personally like the idea of DRLs. Here in North Florida, it rains nearly everyday and I just hate when people don't turn their lights on in the rain. With some color cars, they blend in with the rain so well that you don't see them until you're right on their butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
In this case, it's about making you more visible to other people, rather than making the road more visible to you. The best reason I can think of is what I stated above about the rain.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's about it. It is a safety feature. But on a badass car, it ruins it for me. So freaking tacky. I mean in a Camry or Honda, cool. Not Merican made muscle. I don't want no silly car ridin around town. I want a full throttle throaty muscle car.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Stupid question: I didn't think Mustangs, at least in the US, had DRL. If I'm supposed to have them, is there a way to turn them on or off?
Tatsumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

My 12 does not have drl's. Had it come with them, they would have been bypassed the first day, at the same time, 25 minutes off the dealership lot when I swapped in my HID's lol. I messaged you again Moonshine.

I would have to say this: I understand the premise of DRLs, I even agree, that during inclement weather, your lights should be on. I even like it that some people's lights are on at dawn and at dusk when they think they see fine, but it is harder to see a certain color(s). BUT. Statistics have shown that vehicles equipped with DRLs are not safer than cars NOT equipped. GM Has been using DRLs in some fashion since the early 90's, their accident ratings have never dropped. Compared to a company such as Honda, which has few cars with DRLs up until now, who's accident ratings have only slightly risen due to the rising number of these vehicles on the road. Basically bringing it down to personal opinion, speculation, and preference. I prefer no DRLs. I like HIDs and LEDs, and if I do not want my lights on, I turn them off.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsumake View Post
Stupid question: I didn't think Mustangs, at least in the US, had DRL. If I'm supposed to have them, is there a way to turn them on or off?
Pretty sure U.S. Mustangs do not have, or I would be selling alor more relays and capacitors for them lol.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel
My 12 does not have drl's. Had it come with them, they would have been bypassed the first day, at the same time, 25 minutes off the dealership lot when I swapped in my HID's lol. I messaged you again Moonshine.

I would have to say this: I understand the premise of DRLs, I even agree, that during inclement weather, your lights should be on. I even like it that some people's lights are on at dawn and at dusk when they think they see fine, but it is harder to see a certain color(s). BUT. Statistics have shown that vehicles equipped with DRLs are not safer than cars NOT equipped. GM Has been using DRLs in some fashion since the early 90's, their accident ratings have never dropped. Compared to a company such as Honda, which has few cars with DRLs up until now, who's accident ratings have only slightly risen due to the rising number of these vehicles on the road. Basically bringing it down to personal opinion, speculation, and preference. I prefer no DRLs. I like HIDs and LEDs, and if I do not want my lights on, I turn them off.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Pretty sure U.S. Mustangs do not have, or I would be selling alor more relays and capacitors for them lol.
Every rental/ tester mustang has them. Mine was made in good ole Michigan. I can take pictures to prove it lol I've only seen 3 total with them. One other v6 and one GT. I wish it was like the old days where you can pull a fuse. I don't want to spend $300 again just for the dealer to say, sorry we couldn't figure it out.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, here's how to bypass DRLs with an HID Kit and Relay install: First, install the bulbs (H13) by inserting, and turn to lock. Then connect the two bulb power wires to the ballast. BUT Instead of using the power adapter that would plug into your factory wiring.....don't. Take your relay harness, connect the positive input to the + on the battery like normal, connect the ground(s) to ground like normal, and plug the outputs into the ballasts. You have just bypassed the factory wiring. Now, here's the make it bright with no drl part: There's 2 ways, depending on your comfort level, you take the input lead of the relay harness (will be the positive and negative that you would normally pluginto the factory wiring)and: 1st way: Ground the ground, then use the positive output of the headlight relay(if there is two relays, either one will do, no need in using both) to power the relay. BOOM!! No DRLs and you have headlights on demand. 2nd way: If you do not want to pull your underhood fuse/relay center off to get at the bottom of the relay socket, you can also grab the trigger wire from inside, on the back of the switch. BUT, the difference here is that the switch wire inside the car is a negative output. SO on the relay input, you connect the positive side of the set to the battery along with the main relay power wire, then connect the ground side of the relay switch wire to the Blue w/white stripe wire on the rear of your light switch in the car. Either way, you now have HIDs and no DRLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Every rental/ tester mustang has them. Mine was made in good ole Michigan. I can take pictures to prove it lol I've only seen 3 total with them. One other v6 and one GT. I wish it was like the old days where you can pull a fuse. I don't want to spend $300 again just for the dealer to say, sorry we couldn't figure it out.
I believe you, I know the rentals/testers/and protos have them. But the other 98% of the Mustang drivers in the U.S. won't have this issue. You just plug and play whatever lighting you want.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Pretty sure U.S. Mustangs do not have, or I would be selling alor more relays and capacitors for them lol. [/QUOTE]

Haha!
Tatsumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

LoL, it's true. Any vehicle with a single beam head light that has DRLs, has to have a relay/capacitor setup to work with HIDs. Otherwise the HIDs will just flicker and die. With a high end halogen set, you will just cut the life of the bulb, because the lower voltage will decay the filament faster.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not looking for an HID setup. My mom has them on her gaymaro and its cool but not for me. Tbh idk what a relay or anything like that is. I just know bulb then a bunch of wires after that. But I know how to hook up amps and stuff. That's about as far as my electrical knowledge goes.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well, that is pretty much the only way to be rid of the DRLs without either a tune, or dealer. Also, do not limit yourself, you can get HIDs in different shades. Don't have to look like your Mom's Damaro. Now, I started writing this, then I called one of my Dealerships that we do work for (A huuuuge Ford Dealership here in Orlando) and spoke with the Service Manager:

Me: Hey **** what's the haps in Fordland?

SM: Not much Aaron, how's the riotmaker coming? (Riotmaker is a current custom build, 16 six inch mids, 16 bullet tweets, 6 15" subs)

Me: Great, lotta fiberglass work is done, now to actually start assembly. wrapping and painting.

So I have a question, I know Canadian Mustangs have DRLs, as do protos and rentals/test cars....How the hell do I turn them off? You guys program it through the SJB?

SM: Well yes and no. Not that simple, but as usual, you're hunting the right woods. The ECU for those cars is different, as is the module in the SJB. The procedure would go more like, remove old module from SJB, flash new module with old module info, the reinstall. If the old module was not working, then we would use the "As built configuration" to install the new module. The car's VIN is used to source the right data to program the module. So, theoretically, if you brought me the car, I could probably shake a VIN loose that would alloow it to be programmed.

Me: Sounds like a damned headache.

SM: So nothing new for you eh?

Me: Nope. So if we went this route....wouldn't the vin we used have to be from basically the same car? Only diff being the drls?

SM: Pretty much, if it's from a differently equipped car, it could cause some issues I am sure, plus, I do not know if the ECU checks the values of each module on different occasions, so, that could be an issue too. Never done it this way lol.

Me: Neither have I, that's why I called you lol.

SM: Sweet, I also have about 6 cars back there in the body shop that are going to need Bulbs and ballasts....All but one of them is ready now.

Me: Sweet, I will send one of my peoples.

SM: Okay, thanks, see you this weekend!!

Me: Word.

So yeah, either stick with the DRLs, or have some one wire a relay into the car to bypass, or add the relay/HID combo. Dealership is going to be 1. Very Expensive and 2. May not be a permanent fix.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'm saying lol my home town stealership sucks. I payed $300 for labor and two days no car for them to say well we can't help you. F-up I say. So my readings are correct, kinda. It's in the computer an you just format it so it starts over new and load the settings. So since you're a headlight guy can you give me basic idiot info on these parts so I can know what I'm looking at besides pieces of plastic?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Easy way: Get the VIN from a wreck at a salvage yard, and find some one at a dealership that will flash the module with the specs from that VIN. There is no way, with your car's vin to turn them off. The options and software/firmware are based on the VIN of each vehicle. So even going through all of this, without sourcing data for a vin without DRLs, it would do no good.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

So it is locked with the vin like a tuner is. Sounds simple enough. Isn't getting the vin off another car illegal lol
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. You cannot take the vin off the car. I am not sure of the legality of taking a module to Ford and handing them a vin written on a piece of paper and asking them to program it with that set of data....Especially if the donor car is in the salvage yard. You might even just try putting the sjb from the donor car into your car, couple bolts (10mm) and a few plugs, then taking the whole car to dealership and baldfacing them lol. Especially if they had charged me 300 bucks to say nothing can be done. What ******bags.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently AM has a drl module for the parking lights. What exactly would happen if I opened up the sjb?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #28
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

Think of GM cars they usually have their headlights on.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Apparently AM has a drl module for the parking lights. What exactly would happen if I opened up the sjb?
Check this out! I know it's not entirely related but seems like an easy process.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117-...2005-bull.html

I also suppose if you know what you're doing, you could snip that wire, and re-wire. But to be honest, I'd just leave them alone.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I do not think anything would happen if you opened the sjb, until you start tampering with things lol...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do not think anything would happen if you opened the sjb, until you start tampering with things lol...
That was the idea. Pop and test but idk. It is the brain of the car. Last time my friend did that his truck never cranked again
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

There's several steps to follow. First, never, ever, ever ever ever, use a test light. I tell people to not even use a probe. Use a multimeter. That way you have little chance of introducing a signal or pulse into the sjb that may be an issue. Second, you need to know what you are looking for, or at least a good idea before you go poking around too much, no need in flying blind, or you could be in there for a long time....and the more you have to play with, the higher the chance of an issue. If you are not comfortable dealing with electronics that could affect the entire life of your car, do not do it. The nervous, uncomfortable factor is just as bad as plain not knowing what you're doing, prob worse. If you're comfortable working with it, and have the proper tools, and are willing to take the time and do it properly, then by all means.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

My dad is a professional electrician. Has been since the 80's and has had his own business some 97. Multimeter= volt meter?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, Multimeter is volt meter, sort of lol. But yeah, only use a volt meter to test anything in your car. Test lights and even probes are dangerous in computer heavy cars, especially canbus cars such as ours. Just be careful and try and find as much information on the specific item as possible.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, Multimeter is volt meter, sort of lol. But yeah, only use a volt meter to test anything in your car. Test lights and even probes are dangerous in computer heavy cars, especially canbus cars such as ours. Just be careful and try and find as much information on the specific item as possible.
I do tons of research before I modify or buy anything for Bessy. My old one I didn't care as much cause it wasn't as advanced. It was fun in that one. This one not so much cause its so new and ford has wacky engineers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang