GT Facia on a V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #1

Region: Canada
GT Facia on a V6

Recently bought a 2012 race red V6 premium with perf pkg. I've added a rear decklid spoiler (from Ford) and a MMD front hood scoop. I'm about to swap out my stock V6 front facia for a GT with a Boss lower valance. Bought the parts; bumper cover, GT grille, Boss valance, grille surround, and bumper braces.

Anyone have any helpful hints about pitfalls to avoid when removing/replacing the front bumper cover and grille on a 2012 V6? Anyone know of someone else who has done this type of conversion?

If all goes well, I should end up with one smokin' hot red stang. I'll be sure to post a few photos.
Steve Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So are you asking how hard it is to get the bumper off or am I just being stupid?
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Don't drop the bumpers on your foot
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Lol, they're not heavy. I've never done the V6 to GT front end conversion but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. Haha, no but I have removed my GT bumper several time and its a cinch. I actually added the chin spoiler to my C/S fascia today. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3561265590.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	70204My Grille being off is unrelated to the install of my splitter. I've got the Saleen grille but its got a crack that I'm trying to repair. I just haven't gotten around to it.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just grip where the body panel breaks and pop it goes. Just undo your chin spoiler and skid plate. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I've done it so many times I can do it in 10 minutes top
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Just as they said it's easy man just take your time
Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Doesn't he have to change the lights too? I thought they were different on the gt
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
No they are the same.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Often people do not realize the braces are a little different, but you got those, so you should be set. I had mine done for me, and it was snappy, but they were professionals doing it.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Literally, it i snappy. Everything on this car is snappy and push pins. Kinda scary.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #11

Thanks fellas. From all accounts this should really be do-able in my backyard garage with some simple tools and alot of patience. I hope to only have to do this once myself.

As a sidebar, my homework into the headlight wiring harness indicates there is only one version of the harnes that works for all models. Is this in fact the case and if so will it simply be a matter of hooking up the driving lights on the GT grille to an existing "free end" plug on the harness? Or do I have to buy a new harness component. I know I have to replace the switch, but that's a fairly simple (and cheap) swap.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilson View Post
Thanks fellas. From all accounts this should really be do-able in my backyard garage with some simple tools and alot of patience. I hope to only have to do this once myself.

As a sidebar, my homework into the headlight wiring harness indicates there is only one version of the harnes that works for all models. Is this in fact the case and if so will it simply be a matter of hooking up the driving lights on the GT grille to an existing "free end" plug on the harness? Or do I have to buy a new harness component. I know I have to replace the switch, but that's a fairly simple (and cheap) swap.
There should be provisions for it. If not, do not wire them to the headlights. Use the parking lights instead. Should be a very straight forward and yes shadetree easy. Good luck and give us some pics. I want the grill and light housings, but I want to keep my v6 front end. I also need some factory v6 Fog Light housings if anyone has them. I can do some sweeeeet trade deals.
HID Unlimited Altamonte - Altamonte Springs, FL - Car Parts & Accessories, Automotive Customizing | Facebook Let me know.

-Aaron
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I did it to mine it's a lot easier than in looks. I thought I was getting in over my head by doing it myself but it was surprisingly easy. As for the headlights, I didn't have to touch any wires for then, but I did add the fogs if that's what ur talking about. Getting the fog wiring into the drivers compartment was the only hard part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1501448083.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	716.5 KB
ID:	70273   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1730255165.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	70274  

2012, Performance Package, C&L CAI, Magnaflow catbacks, Katzkin Cream leather interior
Mayhem48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #14

Due to the difference in the grille and the requirement for a grille surround on the GT, you can't swap out the V6 grille for a GT grille without changing the whole bumper cover. Sorry. The best you'll be able to do is install the lower valance 3" fog lights. Fortunately you can source them quite easily through ebay.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #15

Region: Florida
Hello I need your help. I have a 2010 Mustang V6 Project., and I need to know if the gt bumper you can adapt on it?. I do this because I want to put the gt grille with the lights, and I've read that I need to change the bumper, is this correct or do differently? Thank you very much for your help
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggilbert
Hello I need your help. I have a 2010 Mustang V6 Project., and I need to know if the gt bumper you can adapt on it?. I do this because I want to put the gt grille with the lights, and I've read that I need to change the bumper, is this correct or do differently? Thank you very much for your help
I think there is an adapter, but there may not be. I would just switch the front ends. I think the six front end looks...unattractive, to not offend anyone. But that is my opinion.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
All you need to do is change the bumper there is no adapter except for the grill trim
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang