bye bye t handle ;) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
It locks into gear so therefore is safe. You can't just bump in in and out of gear. The deciding factor for me still is the hill assist button
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
It locks into gear so therefore is safe. You can't just bump in in and out of gear. The deciding factor for me still is the hill assist button
My button is re wired and functional
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad3.7

My button is re wired and functional
where isthe button?
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

In the center console
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Will the shifter work if you don't rewire it. I thought about it and I'm going to do it but I don't use hill assist much if at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The hill assist will just remain off. Everything else will function properly. Time to get that scrote out of your car..... sorry, couldn't resist.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Wow, this really turned out good. I was skeptcal at first, but you did a great job on it! The only question I have is, how high does it sit? Does it sit as high as the T handle did or does it sit as low as the manual shifter? From the pictures it's kinda hard to tell...

But good job, buddy!

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

The other thing I wanted to ask, and somehow forgot...You guys know that there are auto style shift knobs out there, that have buttons in them right? Quick type in of automatic shifter knob in google showed some results too. I meant to post this before....Automatic shifter knob - Google Search
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I want a hurst white ball. For the auto they have a lever on them. Tacky as hell. I'll be happy with this for now. Just don't lose that wire!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel
The other thing I wanted to ask, and somehow forgot...You guys know that there are auto style shift knobs out there, that have buttons in them right? Quick type in of automatic shifter knob in google showed some results too. I meant to post this before....Automatic shifter knob - Google Search
Y would u need one with a button when u just puch down to go?

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04
Wow, this really turned out good. I was skeptcal at first, but you did a great job on it! The only question I have is, how high does it sit? Does it sit as high as the T handle did or does it sit as low as the manual shifter? From the pictures it's kinda hard to tell...

But good job, buddy!
Thanks, and it sits lower then the t handle, the top of the ball is at the bottom of the t, u know what i mean?

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote:
I want a hurst white ball. For the auto they have a lever on them. Tacky as hell. I'll be happy with this for now. Just don't lose that wire!
U can get a white ball it doesnt need a button im tellin u, u can easily rewire it its not hard at all
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

He just wants a white ball. Live Strong.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I'm saying I don't have a problem with the ball I got that and a boot already. Just doing it and the switch is my thing.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I'm somewhat curious if you guys that say you dont need grade assist would use Sport mode if you had a 2013. If Sport Mode gives you better throttle response without WOT and better engine breaking more like a manual wouldnt you use it quite often?
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

It's a lot of button pressing just for a gear. It's an auto and smart so leave it be. Correct? I wanna shift my gears how I want I would have got a manual. But that is just me
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a lot of button pressing just for a gear. It's an auto and smart so leave it be. Correct? I wanna shift my gears how I want I would have got a manual. But that is just me
It's not just a gear but that really didn't answer my question. In Sport Mode on a 2013 you'd put it in S and drive it that way correct? Unless you were out on the highway. No? It's much smarter in Sport Mode. Btw I'm not talking the manual shift capability of the 2013 but just the Sport Mode function. If you put it in Sport Mode and dont touch the +\- buttons it will shift automaticly yet hold gears longer, shift more aggressively and and use ehgine compression to down shift. This all without manually shifting the car.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Idk the 2013 really well. I just know they finally got a auto-manual like the camaro. The gears can be held to redline. I use my button because it has a hill and a car going down it, common sense meaning it is for downhill.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I use my 1,2,3 alll the time i down shift to rather then brake all the time and all that
Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Idk the 2013 really well. I just know they finally got a auto-manual like the camaro. The gears can be held to redline. I use my button because it has a hill and a car going down it, common sense meaning it is for downhill.
I will get back to this after the Presidential debates. But common sense would tell one that Ford is not going to show a car going uphill as well as down hill. And I will say that it is well known that Sport Mode indicates more agressive driving. I will also maintain that what that little black button on our 2011/2012 does is the exact same thing as Sport Mode on the 2013. It's really no different than having overdrive off for everyday around town driving and turning it on for highway driving. It's been that way since at least the 50's. i will also later post up the pages from the 2013 manual vs the 2012 manual, For the meantime try this. On surface streets push your little black button so the downhill car shows and drive. Do that on half your trip then shut it off the other half. Then honestly tell us which gives you more fun driving and better throttle and breaking response. What that little downhill car should be is O/D and it should only light when the button is off.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Ok first the 2013 manual then the 2012. It becomes very clear that the 2012 in Drive is Over Drive and Grade Assist is Sport Mode. 2013 makes it clear that it's also for uphill and not common sensically only down hill. Drive on 2013 is Over Drive, Sport Mode is not. The ability to manually shift is a whole other subject. Not to hijack the thread but this is about wether you use or not use the grade assist wire upon conversion of your shift knob. Makes it a whole lot easier to convert it on a 2013 though. The best way to understand our automatics is to combine the two manuals for the answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3475983682.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	71075   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-761002301.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	71076  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3028423395.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	71077   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1227932412.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	71078  

Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Am i reading right that the 2012s grade assist is like sport mode on the 2013?
Ryanjcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjcain
Am i reading right that the 2012s grade assist is like sport mode on the 2013?
Yep. They took the black button off and put it under S. They also took out 1 2 3 and now allow you to shift thru all the gears but I don't see much advantage to shift 4 5 6 personally. Once you push the +\- buttons it takes it out of grade assist for manual shifting and the only way back is to put it in D then back to S.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Ah. I see. Im asking from a 2012 owners perspective. I have read 2013 owners go on about their modes and how sport is good. I am wondering if keeping grade assist on even when not going up or down inclines will increase the fun like sport mode does for the 2013. That seems like what I was reading, am I wrong?
Ryanjcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, what you are saying is personally confusing me. It's mid term time in college so my brain is shot anyway. In a camaro it has P R N D M. The D is for drive like a regular automatic. The M is for manual mode and has paddle shifters. You an select a gear and it will downshift when you slow down enough or you can manually.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjcain
Ah. I see. Im asking from a 2012 owners perspective. I have read 2013 owners go on about their modes and how sport is good. I am wondering if keeping grade assist on even when not going up or down inclines will increase the fun like sport mode does for the 2013. That seems like what I was reading, am I wrong?
That is absolutely correct! Grade assist is exactly the same as S as long as you let S Mode shift itself. Have fun.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright, what you are saying is personally confusing me. It's mid term time in college so my brain is shot anyway. In a camaro it has P R N D M. The D is for drive like a regular automatic. The M is for manual mode and has paddle shifters. You an select a gear and it will downshift when you slow down enough or you can manually.
I haven't studied the Camaro so I don't know if it will upshift automatically if you never touch the paddle shifter or not. The 2013 Mustang only goes into manual mode once you push +\-.
I test drove the Camaro but they never mentioned the paddle shifter. Godd luck on those exams.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I looked at the Camaro Manual. It's a similar concept. In M without using the paddle shifter its Sport Mode and shifts automatically. But the Camaro will shift into 6th gear at high enough speed. The Mustang holds in 5th.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I knew you could redline but I never experimented and tried to see if it would shift itself. It is my mothers car so I drive right mostly in it. That's good to know though. So sport mode equals Manual mode in camaro. And the grade assist is technically the sport mode in 2010-1012. What were you saying about driving around town with it on again?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure whitelighting what youre saying about redline. Does your mother have a camaro? Put it this way in S on the 2013 and M on the Camaro as long as you dont touch the +\- or paddle shifter buttons respectively then cars will shift themselves in Sport Mode. Same as if you have grade assist on in the 2011-2012. What I said about driving around town with grade assust on is try it. The yranny will hold gears longer, upsift and downshift better, give you better breaking compression etc and be more fun to drive.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012
Not sure whitelighting what youre saying about redline. Does your mother have a camaro? Put it this way in S on the 2013 and M on the Camaro as long as you dont touch the +\- or paddle shifter buttons respectively then cars will shift themselves in Sport Mode. Same as if you have grade assist on in the 2011-2012. What I said about driving around town with grade assust on is try it. The yranny will hold gears longer, upsift and downshift better, give you better breaking compression etc and be more fun to drive.
The gears in the 2013 will hold to redline if you want them to. She has the 2011 RS package. I haven't tried not shifting it. I try my best to not miss the shifts so I have no input on that part. Feels like you're teaching a rock how to talk huh? Lol
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The gears in the 2013 will hold to redline if you want them to. She has the 2011 RS package. I haven't tried not shifting it. I try my best to not miss the shifts so I have no input on that part. Feels like you're teaching a rock how to talk huh? Lol
Not at all. By all means try it and let us know if the manual is correct. Put it in M and drive normal. Dont touch the paddle shifter. Get back on this after you try. I better stick to Ford's as all this GM talk is giving me a headache. So this gets back on subject lets go to PM for any further discussion. Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #66
Sad Panda
Staff

Did you ever get any pics with the boot installed?
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

My boot never came!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #68
Road Trip!

Quote:
My boot never came!
WTH!
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #69
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
My boot never came!
Somebody holding out on you. Wtf
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Yea tell me about it! Stupid ars ebay, i got a refund at least, im thinkin about making one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang