Supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Supercharger

Hey!
I am looking to buy a supercharger. I have a few questions 1) which one should I buy? 2) how much will it cost? 3) will it wear down my engine or cause problems in the future? 4) will there be a significant change in acceleration on a 2011 v6?

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I don't know why it cut my message. But thank you I'm advance.
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
wont be cheap, end result will probably cost 6-9k depending on if you install it or pay to have it done and what type of kit you go with.

Power results not sure, can google to see what people get, but its a good bit.

It will lower the life of the engine, depending on how far to the edge you tune it then it may or may not really hurt it that much. If its safe it will last about like anything else.

If you cant afford for the car to blow up and have no warranty (you have to fix it out of pocket) then be VERY careful here as if you dont do it right you can have major issues, also if you do everything right there is always a risk of failure, if you dont want that then you may wish to not do it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
If you decide to do it*****

Find a shop that sells what you want and can install it properly for you.

*********************************OR***************************************************

A much better option would be to spend your $$$$ on gears, a nice light aluminum drive shaft ( Stock one is 43 pounds) and a good tuner. Don't forget a good header back exhaust system. A good CAI (free flowing) one.

For probably 1/4th of what you would spend on a super or turbo charger you would have a great running Mustang with good MPG and goes like heck. The good thing is your engine would last a lot longer.

Ronnie

Check this out=== http://www.procharger.com/2011_v6_mustang.shtml

Use the dealer locater on the site to see if there is a shop near you to talk to.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
also warranty, if you have one, will be gone
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Find a shop that sells what you want and can install it properly for you.

*********************************OR***************************************************

A much better option would be to spend your $$$$ on gears, a nice light aluminum drive shaft ( Stock one is 43 pounds) and a good tuner. Don't forget a good header back exhaust system. A good CAI (free flowing) one.

For probably 1/4th of what you would spend on a super or turbo charger you would have a great running Mustang with good MPG and goes like heck. The good thing is your engine would last a lot longer.

Ronnie

Check this out=== http://www.procharger.com/2011_v6_mustang.shtml
Ronnie that was exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. I don't know much about car's mechanical component. Would you please send me a link to what a good header back exhaust, aluminum driveshaft, and a cai from American muscle if possible.
Thank you loads!!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
As of now, procharger is the only supercharger option. It'll run you between $5-6k + install unless you do it yourself. As far as gains, you'll see a big difference. On stock car running 6-8 lbs of boost, you'll see around 400+ to the wheels. Stock 3.7 is around 250 give or take so yeah, it's a difference. A friend of mine is running one in his car and it's a beast.

Now, when upgrading to that much power you'd want other things to be safe. Brakes is one. You can go a lot faster so you'll need to be able to stop. Stock brakes arent too bad imo but I'd upgrade if it were me. Wheels/tires. You'd want a bit more traction then those stock tires have. Driveshaft should probably be on your list. Suspension wouldn't be a bad thing to upgrade. Exhaust is a good option as well. Maybe forged internals although not a necessity. Stock internals can support up to around 500ish but if your worried about wear and tear, some beefed up internals would be a plus.

All in all, to do it "right" it will cost you a lot. I recommend working from the ground up. Get all the little things done before supercharging. Work your way up to it, not the other way around. That's how I do things anyway. And like ronnie said, do things like tuner, gears, exhaust, etc now. You'll be more then happy with it and as you upgrade your car you work your way up to FI.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just do some research before you jump onto spending

American Muscle has a V6 2011 project car and this is a link to it:

2011 V6 Mustang Project Car - Free Shipping!

They also have an Ask the Mustang experts option if you have questions about any of the products they sell.

They also give a discount to us Forum members. (You need 50 posts before Dan will send you the code) You can private message to AMDANBAILER to get the discount code.

A supercharger would be nice if you could afford all of the engine modifications such as piston changes etc to do it right. Just throwing on a super charger is not the way to go if you are on a limited budget.

Ronnie
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I agree with you cyclone. You guys are awesome, I love this forum
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
A supercharger would be nice if you could afford all of the engine modifications such as piston changes etc to do it right. Just throwing on a super charger is not the way to go if you are on a limited budget.
+1
Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Whats nice about AM is:

American Muscle did their V6 Automatic in five stages. Stage five got them 11.90 with 116MPH.

It is pretty neat to watch the video's of all five stages to see how you can build up as you get more money.

Cyclon37 is sure right when he say's:
Quote:
Now, when upgrading to that much power you'd want other things to be safe. Brakes is one. You can go a lot faster so you'll need to be able to stop. Stock brakes arent too bad imo but I'd upgrade if it were me. Wheels/tires. You'd want a bit more traction then those stock tires have. Driveshaft should probably be on your list. Suspension wouldn't be a bad thing to upgrade. Exhaust is a good option as well. Maybe forged internals although not a necessity. Stock internals can support up to around 500ish but if your worried about wear and tear, some beefed up internals would be a plus.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
turbochargers are on their way.
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
Ronnie that was exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. I don't know much about car's mechanical component. Would you please send me a link to what a good header back exhaust, aluminum driveshaft, and a cai from American muscle if possible.
Thank you loads!!
not to hate on you or anything, but before looking into big projects like that, ALWAYS do your research beforehand.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5 View Post
turbochargers are on their way.
we've already got a kit. hellion made one

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
As of now, procharger is the only supercharger option. It'll run you between $5-6k + install unless you do it yourself. As far as gains, you'll see a big difference. On stock car running 6-8 lbs of boost, you'll see around 400+ to the wheels. Stock 3.7 is around 250 give or take so yeah, it's a difference. A friend of mine is running one in his car and it's a beast.

All in all, to do it "right" it will cost you a lot. I recommend working from the ground up. Get all the little things done before supercharging. Work your way up to it, not the other way around. That's how I do things anyway. And like ronnie said, do things like tuner, gears, exhaust, etc now. You'll be more then happy with it and as you upgrade your car you work your way up to FI.
I know that by the end of next year, i will either have (or have saved up for) forge internals
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
If you have a manual you will almost certainly have to get rid of the dual mass flywheel before it breaks.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've got an auto

But production will e greatly slowed :/
Eff my luck
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Adding a supercharger - and tuning properly for it - will not require you to build the engine up or necessarily result in reducing the life of the engine.

I had the Xcharger Xtreme on my 4.0. Put it on at 90,000 miles. Before I sold the car I took it to the track one last time. It was still running mid 12's and that was with 201,000 miles on it.

No building of the engine, just regular maintenance. And I was changing oil at 7,500 miles. Every third oil change I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs and the kept telling me to increase the interval between changes so ended up at 7,500 with no signs of abnormal wear in the test.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How much boost were you running?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
cyclon - I was running 10 - 12 lbs at WOT
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang