fuel filter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
fuel filter

Hi I went to ford 3 days ago for a regular maintenance oil changes and etc.
I was there and they asked me if i wanted to replace the fuel filter and air filter but i said i would rather do it myself well i bought the fuel filter and looked up online to find out how to replace it but found out that the 2011 v6 doesnt need the fuel filter replaced because its "built in" which requires less maintenance. So why did ford tell me that i needed to replace it ?
killrocker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by killrocker52
Hi I went to ford 3 days ago for a regular maintenance oil changes and etc.
I was there and they asked me if i wanted to replace the fuel filter and air filter but i said i would rather do it myself well i bought the fuel filter and looked up online to find out how to replace it but found out that the 2011 v6 doesnt need the fuel filter replaced because its "built in" which requires less maintenance. So why did ford tell me that i needed to replace it ?
My guess is the advisor didn't know.. Or he/she knew but just thought what the heck it's worth a shot.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Service writers are either good or bad.

A good service writer will only do what your car actually needs at the time.

A bad service writer will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge if they thought you would pay for it.

Most dealer's pay the service writers very little but do give them a nice commission on what they can up-sell. Now what do you think a greedy bad service writer will try to do? Oh! Sell you stuff you don't need so they can make a nice commission check. Probably

As I said on this forum before, READ YOUR MANUALS That includes the parts where it tells you what the car needs for maintenance and when it is due.

When you do find a good service writer you need to ask for that person every time you go in for anything. If they are off that day you need to reschedule for a time when they are there.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

^ yes!! Read the manual oh and this reminds of an article I read some time ago.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...anager-6311261
Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thanks 99Ford

Everybody needs to read this info you just posted.

It just say's what I have known for years.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well thanks guy but I really find it weird that they actually make fuel filters for 2011 Mustang I bought mine for 10 dollars at pepboys guess ill be returning that soon
killrocker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by killrocker52
Well thanks guy but I really find it weird that they actually make fuel filters for 2011 Mustang I bought mine for 10 dollars at pepboys guess ill be returning that soon
Just one of life's unsolved mysteries I suppose
Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
^ yes!! Read the manual oh and this reminds of an article I read some time ago.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...anager-6311261
Great article
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Ronnie is dead on. Read the owners manual. There has to be times when your "in the library" and in need of some reading material. Using the knowledge learned from it, a set of service manuals, and asking here goes a long way.

I use what I learn to test the service places (when I cannot perform the work). As an example, if I took my vehicle in for service, and the service advisor asked me if I wanted "part x" replaced, and I knew "part x" was not a servicable item on my car/truck, I'd immediately pull my car from their service bay and locate another. I've done this in the past.

I realize the service advisors are not 100% knowledgable on all models, but this is no excuse. A Ford database can easily tell the advisor what is a servisable item and what is not. If they do it to make a commission, then it's fraud.

For the record, there is a fuel filter on our late model Mustangs, but its in the gas tank at the tip of the fuel pump. It's a "lifetime" sock type filter, and can only be changed if you pull the fuel pump assembly from the tank. You might be able to get to it from the back seat (removed) and a cover plate on the back seat floor area if my memory serves.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang