Gears upgrade question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Gears upgrade question

sorry guys, stupid question.

Whats the purpose of upgrading the gear box and how it makes the differences?

Rileychan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I second this question. I would like an explanation of gears and why to mod them too.
Ryanjcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Are you talking about upgrading to a new aftermerket transmission like the s197 tremec t56 or upgrading the stock transmission?
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Are you talking about gear ratios or what the main purpose is to accelerate a lot quicker
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
Are you talking about upgrading to a new aftermerket transmission like the s197 tremec t56 or upgrading the stock transmission?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1 View Post
Are you talking about gear ratios or what the main purpose is to accelerate a lot quicker

yeah I mean the 3.73, 4.10...whats the differences between the number? and it makes the accelerate a lot quicker? like shift faster?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
All the ratios you see are shortened and supposed to read to one (:1) So for example it's 2.73:1. And this tells you how many times your driveshaft rotates for every one turn of the wheels. So with stock 2.73's your driveshaft will rotate 2.73x for every 1 turn of the wheels. 4.10's the driveshaft will rotate 4.1x every turn of the wheels and so on.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
All the ratios you see are shortened and supposed to read to one (:1) So for example it's 2.73:1. And this tells you how many times your driveshaft rotates for every one turn of the wheels. So with stock 2.73's your driveshaft will rotate 2.73x for every 1 turn of the wheels. 4.10's the driveshaft will rotate 4.1x every turn of the wheels and so on.
I see. Nice explanation! Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And how much does upgrading gears cost? Seems like a good way to gain
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjcain
The gears it self are cheap finding someone to install then cheap is hard. Mine were installed for 150 it takes awhile to do. I went from 2.73 to 3.73 the picks up so much quicker
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjcain View Post
It is a great way to gain acceleration. Now, there's several parts to this:\

1. Ratio vs Tire size.

Assuming you have stock 225/60 R 17 rubber, your overall, outside diameter is 27.6 inches tall. So, you drop in say a 3.73:1 gear set. Now look at those shiny new rims!!!! I gotta have those, so you bolt on a set of new 20" rims, and they have a deal on tires, and the tires happen to be 225/60 R 20...that gives you a 30.6" tire height, gaining you 3" in tire overall diameter. Now your 3.73 gear ratio just became 3.14 or close to that number. So tire size, in proportion to gear ratio is important.

2. Why.

If your car is a daily driver, or road trip car, you probably do not want to put lower gears in. 2.73 or 3.23 is great for the highway, and daily commutes. once you pas the mid 3's ie; 3.55, 3.73, you start losing ground in the mileage department really quickly. (I have 3.55s with a 27.1" outside tire diameter, 6 speed trans with some bolt ons and a tune. I am averaging 16mpg city and around 24 highway.)

3. Speedometer/Cost

Good gear sets (set being a ring gear, and a pinion gear) will start just at 200 bucks. Then you have to decide to either a) put them in yourself. or Better option b) pay a mechanic. There's more to installing a diff set than most people think. Not only do you have to drop the drive shaft, unbolt all the diff bolts, drain all the gear oil, but then you have to put all of it back using the proper torque, you might have to shim to get alignment and angles within tolerance. THEN, you either have to have a tuner, or go to a shop that can pron the speedo to compensate for the gear ratio, and/or the tire size. Tuner FTW.

Gears are a good way to get some zip on the bottom, especially since we have these sixes that like to start pulling at 3 grand or better(at least stock). It is also my opinion that you should think of why you want to regear before you do it. Do your bolt ons before you do gears. I did all my stuff at once, in one day, because my job is to build custom cars, and I have lifts and my tool count is up around 30 grand invested, but mainly because I knew exactly what I wanted, I wanted a 12 second flat Mustang that would exceed 20mpg highway without forced induction/boost. Now when I add the turbonetics 40mm I will run 11s and still make 24 mpg easily. Everything you do to your car should be thought on carefully, because it is all going to affect driveability, mileage, looks/performance, and your pocket.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the driveshaft turns the rear end, the gears in the rear end determines the ratio of driveshaft revolutions to rear wheel revolutions. Thats what the numbers me 3.73 to 1 revolution etc.

The more revolutions such as 3.73 vs 4.10 means the faster the rear tires turn in relation to the driveshaft. That means the rear tires moving faster gets you going faster right?

Sounds great, but this makes the RPM of the motor at XX mph than it previously was due to it takes more turns to keep you going at that speed~ thats the trade off. Quicker getting there more power/gas to stay there.

Also just by the nature of it you get to the given RPM quicker so your top end is reduced the same way.

Its all percentage based by the percent difference in the two gears 3.73 vs 4.10 for example.

Gears help acceleration but your rpms are higher vs MPH than before. Gas in the city gets better vs highway due to this also.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Oh i vaguely remember that kinda thing playing gran turismo 3 or 4. Great explanations everyone. Ill save it for later if ever. Definitely want bolt-ons first
Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Best bang for the buck is def gears if you are looking for quicker acceleration. No question about that.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1

The gears it self are cheap finding someone to install then cheap is hard. Mine were installed for 150 it takes awhile to do. I went from 2.73 to 3.73 the picks up so much quicker
How much different does your car feel from having 2.73 to 3.73 gears. Do you have issues with heavy tire spin on the stock tires?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel View Post

1. Ratio vs Tire size.

Assuming you have stock 225/60 R 17 rubber, your overall, outside diameter is 27.6 inches tall. So, you drop in say a 3.73:1 gear set. Now look at those shiny new rims!!!! I gotta have those, so you bolt on a set of new 20" rims, and they have a deal on tires, and the tires happen to be 225/60 R 20...that gives you a 30.6" tire height, gaining you 3" in tire overall diameter. Now your 3.73 gear ratio just became 3.14 or close to that number. So tire size, in proportion to gear ratio is important.

2. Why.

If your car is a daily driver, or road trip car, you probably do not want to put lower gears in. 2.73 or 3.23 is great for the highway, and daily commutes. once you pas the mid 3's ie; 3.55, 3.73, you start losing ground in the mileage department really quickly. (I have 3.55s with a 27.1" outside tire diameter, 6 speed trans with some bolt ons and a tune. I am averaging 16mpg city and around 24 highway.)

3. Speedometer/Cost

Good gear sets (set being a ring gear, and a pinion gear) will start just at 200 bucks. Then you have to decide to either a) put them in yourself. or Better option b) pay a mechanic. There's more to installing a diff set than most people think. Not only do you have to drop the drive shaft, unbolt all the diff bolts, drain all the gear oil, but then you have to put all of it back using the proper torque, you might have to shim to get alignment and angles within tolerance. THEN, you either have to have a tuner, or go to a shop that can pron the speedo to compensate for the gear ratio, and/or the tire size. Tuner FTW.

Gears are a good way to get some zip on the bottom, especially since we have these sixes that like to start pulling at 3 grand or better(at least stock). It is also my opinion that you should think of why you want to regear before you do it. Do your bolt ons before you do gears. I did all my stuff at once, in one day, because my job is to build custom cars, and I have lifts and my tool count is up around 30 grand invested, but mainly because I knew exactly what I wanted, I wanted a 12 second flat Mustang that would exceed 20mpg highway without forced induction/boost. Now when I add the turbonetics 40mm I will run 11s and still make 24 mpg easily. Everything you do to your car should be thought on carefully, because it is all going to affect driveability, mileage, looks/performance, and your pocket.

Thanks for posting this! it's really helpfull!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Thanks for posting this! it's really helpfull!
I really appreciate your input. I was looking to really improve my acceleration without spending the money on FI. My car comes with the stock 2.73 gears and think with the 305 HP 280 torque the car could really handle 3.73 gears having close numbers as previous year GT's. I figured since I already have a sct bama tuner, cold air intake and force II Flowmaster exhaust the car is really missing performance gears which I hope changes the cars straight line performance
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel View Post

1. Ratio vs Tire size.

2. Why.

3. Speedometer/Cost

so for a DD, the best gear should be 3.23? is it shift faster? and the tire size is an issue for gear box? OMG...so difficult.............
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel

1. Ratio vs Tire size.

2. Why.

3. Speedometer/Cost

Which stang do you own and which addons does it have to run 12 flat?
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5

Which stang do you own and which addons does it have to run 12 flat?
W/o boost 12 flat just isn't possible... Prove me wrong though as I'd love to see it!

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileychan01

so for a DD, the best gear should be 3.23? is it shift faster? and the tire size is an issue for gear box? OMG...so difficult.............
Depends what you're looking for? Stock 2.73's are best for fuel economy. 3.31 is great if you want to mostly keep those mpg's but have a bit more pep.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

W/o boost 12 flat just isn't possible... Prove me wrong though as I'd love to see it!

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Depends what you're looking for? Stock 2.73's are best for fuel economy. 3.31 is great if you want to mostly keep those mpg's but have a bit more pep.
So are you a fan of the 3:55 over the 3:73 gear if MPG is not a real concern. Which gear seems to really suit the 11 plus V6?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

So are you a fan of the 3:55 over the 3:73 gear if MPG is not a real concern. Which gear seems to really suit the 11 plus V6?
3.55 and 3.73 seem to be the popular choices and would be a great all around gears on a street/strip car. The difference between them would be minimal but you couldn't go wrong with either.

While we're on the subject, I'm selling some 4.10's if anyone wants?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
this cleared up alot of confusion and replaced it with headache.... I think im going to go 3.73...no 3.55... no.... ugh.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang