long tube or shorty headers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
long tube or shorty headers?

Which would give better performance? Long tube or shorty headers?
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Long tubes
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Sad Panda
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,633
Long tubes are gonna be a more difficult install with better gains whereas shorties are gonna be easier install with a lot less noticeable gains
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
In other words there is no reason to install shorties? Go bigbor go home then
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5
In other words there is no reason to install shorties? Go bigbor go home then
You sir have nailed it
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch
Long tubes
On our 3.7, not as much. You lose low end with long tubes where our car is clearly lacking already. If your NA then I wouldn't recommend LT's. Unless maybe if you had better gears. Even then, I personally wouldn't. But can't really recommend shorties either. Can't see there being a significant improvement over stock manifolds. You'd be better off with just an o/r x.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

On our 3.7, not as much. You lose low end with long tubes where our car is clearly lacking already. If your NA then I wouldn't recommend LT's. Unless maybe if you had better gears. Even then, I personally wouldn't. But can't really recommend shorties either. Can't see there being a significant improvement over stock manifolds. You'd be better off with just an o/r x.
Yeah i heard about that. Its so weird. Are our 3.7 the only cars that dont benefit from headers? Lol
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5

Yeah i heard about that. Its so weird. Are our 3.7 the only cars that dont benefit from headers? Lol
Lol. They do but it's all top end. I just don't think it's worth the loss on the low end for a few extra ponies at like 6k rpms.. If you drag and have 4.10's then I can see someone having LT's. But I still don't think it's worth the $$. What is it? Close to $1k for LT's and X? $200 will get you an o/r x that'll give you more useable power. Jmo :/
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Also, there are no Shorty Headers for the 2011-2013 V6 Mustangs.
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

Lol. They do but it's all top end. I just don't think it's worth the loss on the low end for a few extra ponies at like 6k rpms.. If you drag and have 4.10's then I can see someone having LT's. But I still don't think it's worth the $$. What is it? Close to $1k for LT's and X? $200 will get you an o/r x that'll give you more useable power. Jmo :/
Our low end sucks because of the fuel economy 2.73 gears they put in stock. Install 3.55 or 3.73 gears and the low end will no longer suck. Besides headers make the car sound so much better and aggressive
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Our low end sucks because of the fuel economy 2.73 gears they put in stock. Install 3.55 or 3.73 gears and the low end will no longer suck. Besides headers make the car sound so much better and aggressive
Would the headers compensate 3.73 gears mpg? I heard shifts on such gears were uncomfortable on automatics.
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5

Would the headers compensate 3.73 gears mpg? I heard shifts on such gears were uncomfortable on automatics.
I'm sure having 3.73 gears you will see a drop in your highway MPG. I currently am getting 30 MPG highway doing 70 MPH. Perhaps with 3:73 gears my MPG may drop to 27 . I only travel around 8,000 miles a year in my stang so higher mpg is not really a concern of mine.

The headers would really help the car breath better in turn producing more HP and make it sound more aggressive . Yes, our low end is weak but 3:55 or 3:73 gears will change that completely. I have no idea about shifts on the automatic. If you get headers you will need a tuner to change your car computer. American Muscle will get you squared away and your shift points will be awesome
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I'm sure having 3.73 gears you will see a drop in your highway MPG. I currently am getting 30 MPG highway doing 70 MPH. Perhaps with 3:73 gears my MPG may drop to 27 . I only travel around 8,000 miles a year in my stang so higher mpg is not really a concern of mine.

The headers would really help the car breath better in turn producing more HP and make it sound more aggressive . Yes, our low end is weak but 3:55 or 3:73 gears will change that completely. I have no idea about shifts on the automatic. If you get headers you will need a tuner to change your car computer. American Muscle will get you squared away and your shift points will be awesome
Will be getting my tuner and intake toorrow. I wanted to know what.my next mod should be. Would gears improve city mpg? Mine are mostly city commuting
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5

Will be getting my tuner and intake toorrow. I wanted to know what.my next mod should be. Would gears improve city mpg? Mine are mostly city commuting
I think gears will improve your city MPG but decrease your highway MPG. Assuming you can keep your foot out it. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I think gears will improve your city MPG but decrease your highway MPG. Assuming you can keep your foot out it. Lol
Damn thats so hard. Not even 5.0 owners i've seen locally step on it the way I do lol
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5

Damn thats so hard. Not even 5.0 owners i've seen locally step on it the way I do lol
The new V6 can really get up and go. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

The new V6 can really get up and go. Lol
Heck yea it can!
And then you have ignorant people that say
Well it's Just a v6
I want to sock em in the face right there
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Heck yea it can!
And then you have ignorant people that say
Well it's Just a v6
I want to sock em in the face right there
I do everyday here. Damn Alabama.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

I do everyday here. Damn Alabama.
I ha a guy follow me halfway across Madison asking, when I pulled into subway, he asked me if I had a turbo, I said no, and he left
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

I ha a guy follow me halfway across Madison asking, when I pulled into subway, he asked me if I had a turbo, I said no, and he left
Oh in lower Alabama they rev their trucks up and scream out the window for you to race you. If you don't they ride your ***. It's kinda funny
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Heck yea it can!
And then you have ignorant people that say
Well it's Just a v6
I want to sock em in the face right there
I get the same look on peoples face when they ask if I got the V8. I say no v6 and they look disappointed in me. I feel like a tool bag. Unfortunately, most people don't know how powerful the 11 plus V6 stangs are and the older V6 models were so different. The older V6 models were all mustang looks with no or little performance. Ford really changed the game with its 3.7 engine. Power is power no matter what size the engine is. 0-60 in 5.5 flat ain't nothing slow about that and all for under 23k. Damn, Ford is the bomb baby.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I get the same look on peoples face when they ask if I got the V8. I say no v6 and they look disappointed in me. I feel like a tool bag. Unfortunately, most people don't know how powerful the 11 plus V6 stangs are and the older V6 models were so different. The older V6 models were all mustang looks with no or little performance. Ford really changed the game with its 3.7 engine. Power is power no matter what size the engine is. 0-60 in 5.5 flat ain't nothing slow about that and all for under 23k. Damn, Ford is the bomb baby.
Just say its a stealth v8. That you shaved off all emblems to stealth the real power. They'll believe it. Better yet, say its a shellby.
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstang5

Just say its a stealth v8. That you shaved off all emblems to stealth the real power. They'll believe it. Better yet, say its a shellby.
And you swapped the front bumper for a v6 haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

And you swapped the front bumper for a v6 haha
Most people don't know the difference. Just car people and you.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Most people don't know the difference. Just car people and you.
Yeah I know haha I love when people's ask me "is that the five oh?" I'm like in my head no does it look like a 5.0? Haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

Yeah I know haha I love when people's ask me "is that the five oh?" I'm like in my head no does it look like a 5.0? Haha
Just tell them it's a race car lol. It does kinda suck that the V6 Mustang has such a bad rep. People don't know how quick the new 3.7's are. They can compete with any NA 6 that I can think of and older V8's.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
AndreaCristiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

Just tell them it's a race car lol. It does kinda suck that the V6 Mustang has such a bad rep. People don't know how quick the new 3.7's are. They can compete with any NA 6 that I can think of and older V8's.
This! Plus with a little work they can hang with current V8
AndreaCristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano

This! Plus with a little work they can hang with current V8
Hell with 4.10s you'll start on front :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pstang5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Hell with 4.10s you'll start on front :p
How bad will mpg drop?
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
I don't have 4.10s yet, so i can't give you a number
on top of that i'm averaging 15.2 so I'm probabbly not the best person to ask...
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
AndreaCristiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
I don't have 4.10s yet, so i can't give you a number
on top of that i'm averaging 15.2 so I'm probabbly not the best person to ask...
Wow that's insane lol
AndreaCristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Schram1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I don't have 4.10s yet, so i can't give you a number
on top of that i'm averaging 15.2 so I'm probabbly not the best person to ask...
15.2 and you have mods whatt
__________________
Borla catback s-type Borla Long tube off road x pipe
Jlt carbon fiber intake / BBk TB
J&M panhard bar J&M extreme lower control arm /relo
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
i've also got a race tune, and all of my driving is in the city. rarely do i ever get on the highway
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
layton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Lol. They do but it's all top end. I just don't think it's worth the loss on the low end for a few extra ponies at like 6k rpms.. If you drag and have 4.10's then I can see someone having LT's. But I still don't think it's worth the $$. What is it? Close to $1k for LT's and X? $200 will get you an o/r x that'll give you more useable power. Jmo :/
what kind of o/r x pipe? and will they fit the stock headers and pipe?
__________________
borla atak axle-back exhaust, 19in rtr wheels wrapped in 255/40r19 goodyear fl supercar tires, airaid cai, tinted windows 10%, grabber blue custom stripes. and last a bad a** driver
layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by layton

what kind of o/r x pipe? and will they fit the stock headers and pipe?
Lethal performance has both X and H. Fits stock headers and catback. lethalperformance.com is the site I believe? Or just google it.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long tube headers 2002VertGT 1996-2004 Mustang GT 12 02-09-2012 06:25 PM
SLP long tube headers and exhaust SkoSter06 2011-2014 Mustang GT 8 12-23-2011 11:13 AM
SLP long tube headers, worth the money? leviz79 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 12-18-2011 11:13 PM
long tube headers tdurham19 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 0 12-09-2011 11:36 PM
BBK long tube headers install help....... rinfield2004 SVT Mustang 15 07-20-2011 09:17 AM

» Members Mustangs

Layla

AnthonyB

Katy

Gio_5.0
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



11:56 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.