Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Small button on auto shifter?

51K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  C013RA 
#1 ·
What is the small button on the side of the auto shifter for?

#27 ·
No. S is "S"elect Shift. (Manual shift) BTW they make a kit for the 13 and 14 automatics that put paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. put it in "S" and paddle shift away. Grade assist make it use lower gears and prevents overdrive. I played with that quite a bit on my 2012 with 6 speed auto. Also going down hill, it will downshift on it's own.

#9 ·
Push it and you will see a car on a hill on a 2012

It is so your car can navigate the hills easier. All it does is lock out the 6th gear. Read your Manual It tells you what it is for in the manual.

You can actually leave it on around town and it won't hurt a thing. The car just won't shift into 6th gear which is a good thing some of the tiime.

Ronnie

#10 ·
Nick you and I covered this in PM. It does alot more than just lock out 6 th gear. And no it won't tear anything up over 45 mph. It can be taken to redline in any gear except 6 th. As for gas mileage yeah you will get less mpg mostly because you will want to have fun with it. And actually using mine around town with 3:31 rear end I see no change as I can give it less gas to get going. Again it doesn't just lock out 6th gear. It hold the gears longer and allows engine compression to slow you down. Use it enough you will find you can get it to downshift by tapping your brakes. Going downhill it will downshift on its own depending on speed and incline. You can also set your cruise controll going downhill and it will due its best to not let it go over the set speed. It is a very cool feature. Use the 2012 and 2013 manuals to help understand how it works as it is virtually the dame as Sport Mode on the 13's. The 2012anual is somewhat lacking in explanation. Just as it is in explaning that you can manually shift 1 2 3 D.

#13 ·
Some people don't get a manual when they buy a stang. My 09 had no manual, my new 12
does. It is called "Hill assist", and is fun for us 3.7 owners!

#14 ·
Resurrecting this two year old thread.

I've been driving my 2012 v6 auto with hill assist on for the past couple days when not on the highway and it's great. Assuming stock tune, would I get better drag strip times with hill assist on or off? Can we say that the best settings for fastest times on an auto with stock tune is AdvanceTrac Off (hold traction control button for 5 seconds with brake depressed) and hill assist on?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
I would think it would depend on if it did anything to the ECU. If it doesn't change the performance or shift points, I wouldn't think it would make a difference. I know in normal driving it helps the shift points, but when flooring it, does it change anything?

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

#19 ·
That button only locks out 6th.gear

It does nothing else. Shift point remain the same, Everything stays the same. It only locks out 6th and makes 5th your final gear. I'm talking a Mustang with NO TUNE I would think it would be the same even if the car was tuned.
As far as the quarter is concerned you have nothing to worry about because you won't hit sixth gear in a quarter.

I use that button a lot. It is ideal for a fast sweeping long curve I use to get on I-4 from 417. It works great for that.
Ronnie

Reactions: KATO
#21 ·
On a 2010-2012 It locks out 6th gear AND adds engine braking. It's in the manual. I had to work with MPT to get this feature turned back on since it comes deactivated in their tunes. I had them keep the engine braking out completely of the entire tune bc my gears already slow me down enough. At least now I can keep OD locked out in mountains

#24 ·
Thread of the dead

#29 ·
Except maybe when going down a steep hill?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.