Best sounding Axleback exhausts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Best sounding Axleback exhausts

What are your guys opinions on some Axleback exhausts for a 2012 v6?
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

My magnaflow comps are the best imo. Not for everyone though. They're pretty loud and drone.

Vid:

Just a quick vid. Don't rev past like 3500ish rpm.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Definitely competitions!!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I love the sounds of the Borla ATAKs. The Magnaflow Comps a lil too...unrefined i guess would be the best way to put it
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
Definitely competitions!!
Comps 2, the rest 0. Oh yeah! Lol

Oh nvm florida is mean... Don't worry cyclone, you still sound the best. Don't listen to that guy..
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
I love the sounds of the Borla ATAKs. The Magnaflow Comps a lil too...unrefined i guess would be the best way to put it
I've always been a fan of Magnaflow. They have a unique tone. Idk, I love em. I haven't heard the ATAKs in person on a 3.7 yet though. From vids, I prefer the mags. That price doesn't help Borla out either. Everyone has different taste though. It's what makes the Mustang great. So many choices!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
+3 for magnaflows.

I have the streets and I love them. If it wasn't my DD and or even if it was (if I didn't have a 30 minute drive) in would have got the comps. They are quite a bit louder and the wife says mine are loud enough.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
BORLA ATAK!!

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
Once again BORLA ATAK
http://youtu.be/vsXBmoyYJdE
AndreaCristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
s type all day love them
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I love my Roush axle backs.

It sounds like a real v8, to me. But it is all about personal taste. Very little drone, and only a bit on down shifting. When I down shift, after a few seconds-fuel cutoff- it has a little drone. But only then.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
i like flowmasters
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I dont know about you guys but im gonna get the pypes full catback exsuast on my 2013 in about a month for 450, i hope they sound like they do on youtube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121013_062821.png
Views:	493
Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	72098
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It all depends on how much noise & drone you can stand

I personally bought the Magnaflow street axlebacks due to I just wanted a nice deep rumble from my exhaust. These did exactly what I wanted. I have absolutely no "DREADED DRONE" inside the car. The quality and fit are perfect. They do provide a nice rumble when you start the engine and look great with the nice stainless steal rolled tips.

They are completely made of Stainless steal and fit the car perfect without any tweeking or welding involved. They do say "MAGNAFLOW" on the side which looks pretty cool.

They are not overly loud and obnoxious when driving around but do come very much alive when flooring the go fast pedal.

If you want loud all of the time these are not the mufflers for you. If your looking for mufflers that make your Mustang sound like a Mustang without giving you a headache every to you drive it these are what you want.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I personally bought the Magnaflow street axlebacks due to I just wanted a nice deep rumble from my exhaust. These did exactly what I wanted. I have absolutely no "DREADED DRONE" inside the car. The quality and fit are perfect. They do provide a nice rumble when you start the engine and look great with the nice stainless steal rolled tips.

They are completely made of Stainless steal and fit the car perfect without any tweeking or welding involved. They do say "MAGNAFLOW" on the side which looks pretty cool.

They are not overly loud and obnoxious when driving around but do come very much alive when flooring the go fast pedal.

If you want loud all of the time these are not the mufflers for you. If your looking for mufflers that make your Mustang sound like a Mustang without giving you a headache every to you drive it these are what you want.

Ronnie
There isn't even drone when the fuel cuts off on downshifting?

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have an Automatic Transmission.

I have no "DRONE" at any time. Now that I'm getting a few miles on these Mufflers they are sounding better & better due to some carbin building up in them.
Ronnie
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have some video of mine being driven through a road course for a fuel economy challenge coming up, when I get a chance I will post the you tube videos.

Edit

These are the videos

Ohio Econ Fuel Challenge 12.6 Miles (27 Minutes, 32 minute challenge)
Stage 1 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 1 of 4 - YouTube
Stage 2 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 2 of 4 - YouTube
Stage 3 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 3 of 4 - YouTube
Stage 4 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 4 of 4 - YouTube

They can be boring, but they have a very wide variety of driving, accelerating, down shifting, coasting, 25 mph- 70 mph.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
I have some video of mine being driven through a road course for a fuel economy challenge coming up, when I get a chance I will post the you tube videos.

Edit

These are the videos

Ohio Econ Fuel Challenge 12.6 Miles (27 Minutes, 32 minute challenge)
Stage 1 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 1 of 4 - YouTube
Stage 2 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 2 of 4 - YouTube
Stage 3 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 3 of 4 - YouTube
Stage 4 Ohio Fuel Econ Challenge: Stage 4 of 4 - YouTube

They can be boring, but they have a very wide variety of driving, accelerating, down shifting, coasting, 25 mph- 70 mph.
Links aren't links lol please fix
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons
Borla ATAKs are the best by far. But they are pricy. The roush axleback exhaust is almost half the price and sounds damn near close. But they aren't made in the USA... And only has a 1 year warranty I think.
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9stang

Borla ATAKs are the best by far. But they are pricy. The roush axleback exhaust is almost half the price and sounds damn near close. But they aren't made in the USA... And only has a 1 year warranty I think.
Roush has three year. BORLA has the best warranty and also sounds the beat while being completely made in the USA so for me the extra couple of hundred is justified for this reasons
Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons View Post
flowmaster super 10s,
unless too loud is a problem?

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

i bought the muffler for 120 and cut and welded it into place.
of course you could go to a muffler shop and get it done for like 2-300 bucks or something like that
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I tried to go to them, and copy, but my tablet will not let me open them outside youtube, so no copy and paste.

The links are in this first post.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-up-22834.html

Sorry for the trouble, And please do not get your hopes up for impressive and crazy, it is just carefree driving for a set path. I believe the third starts out the best.

Edit:
There is decent sound from them at the beginning of the fourth video.

Around 8:46 ish on the fourth video one hears the 'drone.' i do not see how it is possible to not have drone when DFCO happens. So in an auto, it might not happen. If you do not engine break, it will not happen. But cars make this sound...so if you have loud boxes on the back...it is going to be louder.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know. Anybody on nj area want to buy a stock v6 catback exhaust braaand new car. I'm really considering the streets catback. Just really hesitant on a car with 40 miles on it to mod. (They don't make axel backs streets for the 2013 even though it says on AM in some places). Ill sell it all for 150. Gonna get it in one piece cause in taking it to a shop with a lift. Thanks for the comment on the streets. I want something not obnoxiously loud. But is there a big difference when u gun it compared to stock
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'd vote flowmaster 40 series mufflers for the best bang for the buck. I've gotten nothing but compliments for mine and I spent right around 250 installed.
davewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Flashjmg

From what I have been reading on all of these forums: A 2011 up to 2013 Mustang V6 has A very good working X-pipe right from the factory.

The Magnaflow streets just bolt right up to the stock flanges and use the same clamp that held the stock mufflers on. The fit is perfect and they sound good without producing so much noise you will drew attention to every police officer that hates loud pipes.

I also put in the K&N drop in air filter and believe me when I say it sounds absolutely great when I floor my Mustang.

I hang out with a bunch of street rodders and they don't even know my car is a V6, It sound that good.

*************************************AND*****************************************************
If I go to trade in my car I can just put the stock mufflers and air filter back on it and get a better deal then one with modifications on the exhaust system. You can't do that with a welded on muffler that is loud and sounds good to you but nobody else that will want your car on a trade without deducting for a complete pipe and muffler system. Get a bolt on and save your stock mufflers. It could mean an extra $1000.00 on a trade in.

Then you can actually sell your Mod Mufflers for even more savings if they won't go on your new car.
Ronnie
Old 10-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg
Good to know. Anybody on nj area want to buy a stock v6 catback exhaust braaand new car. I'm really considering the streets catback. Just really hesitant on a car with 40 miles on it to mod. (They don't make axel backs streets for the 2013 even though it says on AM in some places). Ill sell it all for 150. Gonna get it in one piece cause in taking it to a shop with a lift. Thanks for the comment on the streets. I want something not obnoxiously loud. But is there a big difference when u gun it compared to stock
The Magnaflow streets axle-backs do fit the 13. I've seen videos of them installed.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

2011 & 2012 & 2013 all the same mufflers

If you don't believe us just ask American Muscle.
When I bought mine the box was marked as 2011 V6 Mustang.
Ronnie
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The magnaflow streets fit the 13. I had them on mine. They were also on a 11. They are on a 11 or 12 now.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
The magnaflow streets fit the 13. I had them on mine. They were also on a 11. They are on a 11 or 12 now.
Dang you had the comps, streets, and flows? Haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
interesting, because when you look at the axelback streets FOR THE 2013 on AM, one of the questions they ask that, and AM responded with "no, use the catbacks"

i think i may do catback streets to be safe...i know they are compatible
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg

interesting, because when you look at the axelback streets FOR THE 2013 on AM, one of the questions they ask that, and AM responded with "no, use the catbacks"

i think i may do catback streets to be safe...i know they are compatible
So, people having them installed on there 13 isn't convincing enough? Also, AM posted a video on the website with it installed on a 13. You have to remember just because someone on the staff says something, it's not always right. Not all are 100% knowledgeable on everything. I mean you could talk to a salesmen at Ford or even one of their "mechanics" and know more about the car then them. But, if you want the catback then go for it! As long as you don't mind spending the extra cash. If they had a quad tip catback I would've gotten it over the axle-backs and paired it up with an x-pipe.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

So, people having them installed on there 13 isn't convincing enough? Also, AM posted a video on the website with it installed on a 13. You have to remember just because someone on the staff says something, it's not always right. Not all are 100% knowledgeable on everything. I mean you could talk to a salesmen at Ford or even one of their "mechanics" and know more about the car then them. But, if you want the catback then go for it! As long as you don't mind spending the extra cash. If they had a quad tip catback I would've gotten it over the axle-backs and paired it up with an x-pipe.
No I definitely agree with you. I don't think it's worth to get a cat Back and spending the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars. In general, The xpipe isnt apart of the catback system right? Did I hear from someone that the X pipe comes in the 2011 to 2013 models? If that's the case, I don't need to get the xpipe And maybe I should get the cat Back. Oh decisions decisions decisions. I just want my baby to breathe and for it to sound a little more beastly ha ha.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think you will be pleased with a good Axleback setup.

I personally like a nice deeper rumble sound and not a high pitched loud obnoxious noise. I bought the Magnaflow axlebacks and they are 1/2 the weight and made of stainless steel. They sound great and I get "NO" drone at all at any time. They bolted right up with no welding or any tweeking at all. They fit perfect right out of the box.

I also put in the K&N drop in filter because for my type of driving I really don't need the CAI. I may go for A CAI someday but there are other things I want first. The K&N drop in works just fine. (Better air then the stock filter)

My car sound great at start up and a nice rumble cruising through a parking lot. The sound is really nice at 70/80 MPH but you need to listen for it with the stereo turned down. The Engine and Mufflers come really alive when I step on it. They have a sound of raw power.

The tip look absolutely perfect and say "Magnaflow on them.

If you want super loud do not get these. They are only loud when you floor the accelerator pedal.

Unless your going racing and doing a tuner and some other engine mod's you really do not need headers or catbacks. A good set of axlebacks and a good CAI or K&N will do fine for street driving and a little more zip then stock.

Ronnie
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie have you run into any warranty issues having the aclebacks or k&n?
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Love our Magnaflows

MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Midnight2012

I asked my dealer when I bought the car if it would be a problem changing the mufflers. They said no problem at all if just the mufflers and not installing headers or getting rid of the cat's. He told me most all of the Mustangs they sold have some sort of aftermarket mufflers and a lot have CAI's on them. I did not ask about a tuner. I will the next time I go in. He also said that the drop in K&N is OK.

I'm going to change the driveshaft if I ever come up with enough $$$$. I doubt they will ever notice that change. I asked all of this because I bought the 6 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty and did not want dealer problems down the road.

Our Daytona Mustang club meets at the dealers and they actually race Mustangs. They seem to be really a good dealer to do business with.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust