Why would you buy covers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Why would you buy covers?

By would you buy caliper covers for $199 rather than paint for like $20
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
+1 Im with ya on this!
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death

+1 Im with ya on this!
Just curious as to how you would paint them without taking them off and making sure paint didnt get into places that would allow them to not work properly. That being said how does one insure that covers dont come loose and fly off.
I think I will leave mine silver to march the rims.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012

Just curious as to how you would paint them without taking them off and making sure paint didnt get into places that would allow them to not work properly. That being said how does one insure that covers dont come loose and fly off.
They need to removed to be prepped correctly, overspray can be controlled with tape and paper.

They likely have some sort of set screw to hold them in place.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Well, even once painted the stock calipers don't look anywhere near as good as the covers. The covers mimic high-end 6(ish) piston performance/racing brake calipers, while the stock calipers on the Mustang are designed for acceptable performance, not good looks.

I do think that $200 for covers is extremely overpriced, but they do look loads better than merely painted OEM calipers, so...

--
FluxPrism
FluxPrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxPrism

Well, even once painted the stock calipers don't look anywhere near as good as the covers. The covers mimic high-end 6(ish) piston performance/racing brake calipers, while the stock calipers on the Mustang are designed for acceptable performance, not good looks.

I do think that $200 for covers is extremely overpriced, but they do look loads better than merely painted OEM calipers, so...

--
FluxPrism
I'm buying covers for mine since the last time I painted mine they got dirty and I couldn't exactly clean them because of the rims being in the way(drifter style) the paint pops but upon closer looks it still looks kinda cheesy.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I want to paint mine but I agree that in person the paint looks a bit cheap. G2 has a good paint that looks a bit better but a little pricy too. If the covers were cheaper I'd definitely consider them though.
Babystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Lazy comes to mind. I plead guilty!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I think the covers look cheesy. I think paint looks better. When I paint mine, they'll probably be black so should look fine
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Paint is a hell of a lot better. I used dupli color. My stang was down for a couple weeks in the summer so I had plenty of prep time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2297616840.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	663.5 KB
ID:	72566   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4177272992.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	582.5 KB
ID:	72567  

98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Painted mine, while on the car. Over spray only got on the K-member, easily removed with rubbing alcohol. Used engine enamel, it's shiny but not dull and still looks good today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-333088783.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	72558   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3456247798.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	72559  

Name:	image-2994229049.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	72560   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2623967556.jpg
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	72561  

Name:	image-2815984754.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	72562   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-288961306.jpg
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	72563  

Name:	image-3415993640.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	72564   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-917831522.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	72565  

Name:	image-2948373789.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	72569  
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
Painted mine, while on the car. Over spray only got on the K-member, easily removed with rubbing alcohol. Used engine enamel, it's shiny but not full and still looks good today.
Those do look bueno!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrskoundrel

Those do look bueno!
Only did the front two so far, took an hour each plus dry time between 3 coats. Taping and prep was longest.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also looks great for intakes. The engine bay isn't really that dirty it was dark when I took the pic. It's dirty but not that bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1762566565.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	72570  
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
Sad Panda
Staff

Not bad. I removed mine & cleaned/scrubbed them with brake cleaner and a wire brush and put like 5 - 6 coats I think. Let them dry a couple days
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrskoundrel
Not bad. I removed mine & cleaned/scrubbed them with brake cleaner and a wire brush and put like 5 - 6 coats I think. Let them dry a couple days
I was driving in an hour, I clean with alcohol
Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
When I painted mine I sprayed in a cup. Then took foam paint brush to brush on. Used Qtips for tight spots. No taping off. I also bought engine paint. More of selection at advance, $6.99 a can. Good up to 500 degrees.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Personal preference

I got the covers because I personally like the way they look and the fact that now I get way less brake dust on my wheels. (Especially the right front one)

Painting them would also look good if the calipers were not so butt ugly to begin with. The rough texture of the calipers hold the paint great but also holds the brake dust and makes it hard to keep the painted calipers clean and spiffy.
For myself, I like my very expensive caliper covers.

I did use "LOCKTITE" on the studs that hold my covers on to my caliper. Although they do have locking nuts.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I got the covers because I personally like the way they look and the fact that now I get way less brake dust on my wheels. (Especially the right front one)

Painting them would also look good if the calipers were not so butt ugly to begin with. The rough texture of the calipers hold the paint great but also holds the brake dust and makes it hard to keep the painted calipers clean and spiffy.

I did use "LOCKTITE" on the studs that hold my covers on to my caliper. Although they do have locking nuts.

Ronnie
I agree, up close the covers look better, good thought on Locktite, have to remember to use some whenever I can afford covers, lol.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
Not to mention AM has clearance on the gloss black 3.7 ones. I'm looking into those. its read bad reviews as far as securing them. How did you go about it? I agree on the cleaning though. I didn't want to take my wheels off every two weeks to clean my brakes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It was soooo easy a caveman could do it.

I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world but It was not very hard to figure out installing these covers. There is a good video on AM on installing these.
Jack up front of car with my floor jack. Take off wheels and clean them. Put covers on and do not over tighten the clips because you do not want to twist the studs off of the red covers.(I used LOCKTITE) and just snugged the nuts down. Put wheel back on. Spin it to see if any rubbing. (NO RUBBING HERE) Jack up one side of the rear. I use a 4X4 block of wood and jack on the frame rail. Do other side and your done. Other then putting the wheel back on because my wheels weigh A ton. It was a very EASY installation.

Torque the wheels to 100 Ft Pounds If you don't have a Torque wrench go to Lowes and buy one or borrow one off of A friend. After you drive about fifty miles or so you will need to check the lugnut torque again.

I think the Black one's would look great and they are on sale.

Anything you do still looks better then the ugliest calipers on any car ever made. What the heck was Ford thinking putting those ugly calipers on a beautiful car like the Mustang.

I paid $199 when I bought mine. After I installed them AM had them on sale for $179 (Always just my luck)

Oh Well, It happens to me all the time when I buy something.

Ronnie

Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
$190 for a piece of I assume plastic? No thank you
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:

Ronnie
Those look great Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
$190 for a piece of I assume plastic? No thank you

I know! I opted out the cheap way with paint!!!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Lowflyn

They are powder coated aluminum The clips are spring steel. They are very well manufactured and flawless.

If I didn't buy them I probably would have lost the money in Las Vegas when I go to the S.E.M.A. show at the end of the month.

Seriously, I seen them at the American Muscle show so I knew exactly what I was getting.

Ronnie
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The black ones are on sale from American Muscle. $150, normally $199.

2010-2013 Mustang Caliper Covers at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang
The black ones are on sale from American Muscle. $150, normally $199.

2010-2013 Mustang Caliper Covers at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Those are the ones I'm getting. And they seem legit as far as looks. I've had the painted calipers. Looks good for a little while then they start to get dirty. And I could get the junk off
Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Whitelightning

I think the Black covers will look better on your car then the red one's. They will match your black trim and be great. Even on sale don't forget to put in the discount code. That should take them down to around $141.00 or so.

You do have 18 inch wheels don't you?

Ronnie
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
The cover look more high-end then the painted calipers! Also I heard the cover help keep brake dust off the rims. I do agree that they're ridiculously priced!
SALLUCCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALLUCCI

The cover look more high-end then the painted calipers! Also I heard the cover help keep brake dust off the rims. I do agree that they're ridiculously priced!
They look fake and cheap to me
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
They look fake and cheap to me
I don't think powder coated aluminum looks fake but I do think the painted calipers look cheap! Lets not forget they are fake because they are covers RIGHT? Note pics of both above easy to see which one looks better! Besides the cover are supposed to help with brake dust! Everyone taste is different!
SALLUCCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
painted just look better the covers are just not for me
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #32
Sad Panda
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
painted just look better the covers are just not for me
The main thing that would win me for the covers is the brake dust factor
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Easy

Covers look fake but cover very very ugly calipers

***************OR*********************

Paint the very very ugly calipers and they look great. (That is if you do not drive the car) at first. Paint looks good but calipers are still very ugly.

****************** OR****************************

Buy a nice set of Brembo or wellwood brakes for a whole lot more then the covers cost.

I guess it ain't so easy after all.
Yes it is : Apparently the brakes run cooler with the covers then without them:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/mgp-...eat_699615.htm

I didn't even think about this added feature when I bought mine.

Ronnie
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
I was just thinking about that yesterday. I like the clean look of the covers, but your right the price is a bit steep.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

covers arent worth it they also help keep your brakes hotter which isint worth it
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang