Enhancing Suspension -Options, Input, and Experience. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Enhancing Suspension -Options, Input, and Experience.

Alright, so I have no clue about the suspension. Different types, what things do, all of that.

My goal is to improve handling. I was thinking to start with rear sway bar and front strut tower brace. The individual I worked with at Roush said it would be okay, but it would be way more beneficial to drop it. I am thinking the 1 inch front, 1.5 rear drop would be best.

Should I change anything else? I like all the possible gains for 200 ish bucks to just drop it. I am looking for all suspension related input, as I know nothing. Thanks in advance!

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I've got eibach adjust front & rear sway bars, shocks, struts, pro-kit springs, panhard, and a stb. It handles great. But it's pretty stiff and wouldn't recommend in a DD unless you have smooth roads where you are. Roads in nyc are just crap... I ran just the springs for a while and it handled a little better but kept the ride relatively smooth. It also gave me a perfect stance. I'd love to take it to a nice track to really get a feel for it. The handling is 100x better though. And you can really notice it at high speeds. My ride stays nice and flat all the time. I'm sure there's better brands out there than eibach but for the price, I have no complaints. Some have had problems with the factory strut mounts and needed some heavy duty ones but I'm on the stock ones and have no problems. Will probably upgrade them eventually though.

I say, start with springs, panhard bar and a strut tower brace. It'll give you a little better handling and a lower stance w/o breaking the bank.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
I've got eibach adjust front & rear sway bars, shocks, struts, pro-kit springs, panhard, and a stb. It handles great. But it's pretty stiff and wouldn't recommend in a DD unless you have smooth roads where you are. Roads in nyc are just crap... I ran just the springs for a while and it handled a little better but kept the ride relatively smooth. It also gave me a perfect stance. I'd love to take it to a nice track to really get a feel for it. The handling is 100x better though. And you can really notice it at high speeds. My ride stays nice and flat all the time. I'm sure there's better brands out there than eibach but for the price, I have no complaints. Some have had problems with the factory strut mounts and needed some heavy duty ones but I'm on the stock ones and have no problems. Will probably upgrade them eventually though.

I say, start with springs, panhard bar and a strut tower brace. It'll give you a little better handling and a lower stance w/o breaking the bank.
I read this, and appreciate the input. I was hoping for others to chime in, too.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Eibach pro kit is what i started of with that and Adjustable sway bars you will notice the most
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
How about the FRPP handling kit? It's a complete upgrade anyone have any input ?
AndreaCristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
How about the FRPP handling kit? It's a complete upgrade anyone have any input ?
its a good kit i love my eibach plus koni shocks
Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If I bought oem struts shocks and springs from roush that was removed from a gt and put it on my v6 would that be an upgrade
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons
If I bought oem struts shocks and springs from roush that was removed from a gt and put it on my v6 would that be an upgrade
I don't think that'll be a significant difference, if any at all, to your current. I vote no.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That's the Benifit of having a black car you can basically go with any Any color scheme you want ! I have red so I'm limited .

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

So I apparently failed and responded to the wrong thread .^^^ remember the time this got awkward .
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I am thinking the 1 inch front, 1.5 rear drop would be best.
I love the ride quality and responsiveness I got from my Eibach springs. The Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs are rated a 1" front and 1.5" rear drop. That'd be perfect for what you're looking for.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering about dropping 1 in the front, 1.5 in the rear, what is up with that? Better aero, or just helping the approach angle?

And does anyone have any solid performance numbers? I mean aero, as in difference in quarter mile times or preferably fuel economy numbers.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was wondering about dropping 1 in the front, 1.5 in the rear, what is up with that? Better aero, or just helping the approach angle?

And does anyone have any solid performance numbers? I mean aero, as in difference in quarter mile times or preferably fuel economy numbers.
Lower center of gravity so it when your driving there isint alot of air flow from underneath to slow you down you will only gain 0.3-0.5 mpg with lowering it

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

you must also get a new panhard bar your rear axle will be shifted to one side badd
Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1 View Post
Lower center of gravity so it when your driving there isint alot of air flow from underneath to slow you down you will only gain 0.3-0.5 mpg with lowering it

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

you must also get a new panhard bar your rear axle will be shifted to one side badd
Can you expand on the "panhard?" I have never even heard that, before. (Maybe I have and didn't realize it)

I was definitely going to drop one inch, and 1.5, and then maybe rear sway and front strut bars. But this rear axle thing being off worries me.

I am not concerned about making a gain, I would mostly like to confirm no one has seen a DECREASE in mileage from it. It is commonly accepted dropping a vehicle will increase mileage, but there is a terminal ride height that will start to worsen fuel economy-vehicle and circumstances make it vary, so I wanted to check with the people who know our car.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you expand on the "panhard?" I have never even heard that, before. (Maybe I have and didn't realize it)

I was definitely going to drop one inch, and 1.5, and then maybe rear sway and front strut bars. But this rear axle thing being off worries me.

I am not concerned about making a gain, I would mostly like to confirm no one has seen a DECREASE in mileage from it. It is commonly accepted dropping a vehicle will increase mileage, but there is a terminal ride height that will start to worsen fuel economy-vehicle and circumstances make it vary, so I wanted to check with the people who know our car.
The rear axle will be off from lowering it this will bring back tires in mine is still a little off. Just fixes geometry of suspension

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

This is will basically correct it
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

He's a basic picture of what's going on with the rear axle when you lower your rear end. Since the stock panhard rod is a fixed length, the lower you go, the more the rod will push your rear axle toward the driver side of the car. An adjustable panhard rod will compensate for this shift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panhard Rod.png
Views:	409
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	72927  
Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have the Ford Performance Handling Package, Love it.

If your going to change the rear sway bar and put on a tower strut, why not change the front one also?

If you going to do the work yourself fine but if you want to put on lowering springs, you might as well add the new struts and shocks. It's only 25 dollars more than the Eibach and the Eibach doesn't have the Front Tower Strut.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
An alignment will 99% of the time get things back is spec from what I've researched unless you are doing an aggressive drop.

If you have the panhead in the budget the it couldn't hurt.

I'm hoping to do the steeda ultralites maybe the end of November. Little more drop them the eibach pros.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
I love the ride quality and responsiveness I got from my Eibach springs. The Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs are rated a 1" front and 1.5" rear drop. That'd be perfect for what you're looking for.
does it rub at all?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
does it rub at all?
I've got the Eibach Sportline springs and their Pro-Damper shocks/struts as well and haven't had any rubbing issues at all.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The Eibach kit offers a mild drop. You give 20% ride comfort to gain 100% handling increase over factory setup. The car will feel close to stock. The FRPP setup is is more aggressive but you will sacrifice more ride comfort.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have the eibach prokit springs on my 12 v6 w/performance package. If you are going to go this route, I recommend changing the shocks and struts as well. It gets pretty bouncy at times on the stock ones. Also a panhard bar to realign the rear end. I went with bmr and love it.

That being said, I'm sick of the bouncy ride so I just ordered the eibach coilovers. I should have them on tomorrow and hopefully it's a much more controlled ride. Along with the h&r wheel spacers front and back, I hope to get rid of most if not all wheel gap for a cleaner look. We'll see
davidn7488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang