Anyone paint there 2012 OEM wheels? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Anyone paint there 2012 OEM wheels?

Im looking at putting new wheels on my 2012 V6. I dont think the OEM wheels look bad but Im all blacked out accept for the wheels at this point and would like them to match the car better. My reason for not just having them powder-coated is I dont want to ruin the originals that I could just sell and use the $ for new ones. So, if anyone has a picture of there 2011-2013 (i think they have the same wheels) please post it up so we can all get a look.

slow ride,take it easy
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
syas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 115
Send a message via Yahoo to syas07
I used plasti dip on mine and those worked great. I've hit a curb or two and it just scraped the paint off, wheels were fine tho so just painted them again. Check my pictures.
syas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
They dont look bad at all actually. I might go the power-coat rout for more of a gloss finish but there looking good in the mate as well
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
brywolf90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to brywolf90
you can paint stock rims with plastic dip?
__________________
Brywolf
brywolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
You can clear plasti dip. It'll still peel an that what i like about it.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
use a gloss clear over the plasti dip? now there is an idea.... I might just have to do a a test sample on that one, could end up saving me a good chunk of change.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
brywolf90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to brywolf90
Could i black dip then clear coat?
__________________
Brywolf
brywolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Adogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by brywolf90
Could i black dip then clear coat?
If I was you would sand it then plasti dip and give it another clear coat but Iam not an expert
__________________
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
Im looking at putting new wheels on my 2012 V6. I dont think the OEM wheels look bad but Im all blacked out accept for the wheels at this point and would like them to match the car better. My reason for not just having them powder-coated is I dont want to ruin the originals that I could just sell and use the $ for new ones. So, if anyone has a picture of there 2011-2013 (i think they have the same wheels) please post it up so we can all get a look.

slow ride,take it easy
I try to keep all my OEM stuff OEM too, but if you're going to sell them, powdercoat should increase their value.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
I try to keep all my OEM stuff OEM too, but if you're going to sell them, powdercoat should increase their value.


this is a good point...
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg

If I was you would sand it then plasti dip and give it another clear coat but Iam not an expert
Do not sand before plasti dipping the wheel. You will mess up the wheel and finish!!
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
audioAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 604
Dupli-color sells a product for painting wheels now as well.
__________________
2014 DIB 3.7 "Blue Cyclone" on 275/40/18 RE 760 Sports/Sold
2016 ruby red GT 300 A with 3.55:1 gear/SVE resonator delete X-pipe/ UPR catch can/Airaid/AEM/J&M Bushings/ BMR cradle lockout/BMR CB006 brace/BMR cc bolts/S-04 pole position'
audioAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Can you rip it off like plasti dip and apply to anything and anyone?
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
dont the plasti dip paint jobs start to peal up on the edges over time? I saw a charger with some plasti dip rims that were starting to peal and it looked super trashy. And has anyone actually pealed the plasti dip off there wheel's before? how much of a pain is it really?
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
dont the plasti dip paint jobs start to peal up on the edges over time? I saw a charger with some plasti dip rims that were starting to peal and it looked super trashy. And has anyone actually pealed the plasti dip off there wheel's before? how much of a pain is it really?
Depends. My first batch was 4 coats strong but the edges was about 2 so you just have to run harder. Mine dip lasted about 2 weeks no problems before I started just messing with it and tried cutting the chrome ring out and I messed up. It peels off like tape and sounds like it too but has the feel of a latex glove. Cool stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

The charger also probably didn't use enough coats. 4 coats minimum. I used 7 on my last time.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
so, the plasti dip is a good solution for those that dont mind re-doing it every now and then. others might want to go with powder coat or maybe try the dupli color paint.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
so, the plasti dip is a good solution for those that dont mind re-doing it every now and then. others might want to go with powder coat or maybe try the dupli color paint.
It's the cheapest way to see if blak rims look good on your car. And with my boss 227 setup it looks sick. And by re doing is only for like say I giant rock hitting it or curb rash. I took a pressure washer to it when I deep cleaned my car, its on my grille surround for the v6 and my grilles. Didn't come off and I was 2 inches away.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
syas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 115
Send a message via Yahoo to syas07
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
dont the plasti dip paint jobs start to peal up on the edges over time? I saw a charger with some plasti dip rims that were starting to peal and it looked super trashy. And has anyone actually pealed the plasti dip off there wheel's before? how much of a pain is it really?
I painted mine when I bought the car 6 months ago. One wheel bubbled up a month ago, I peeled it away (5-10 minutes) and reapplied. Looks better then before. If it starts to peel, just reapply. Cheaper then $1,500 for now.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

It's the cheapest way to see if blak rims look good on your car. And with my boss 227 setup it looks sick. And by re doing is only for like say I giant rock hitting it or curb rash. I took a pressure washer to it when I deep cleaned my car, its on my grille surround for the v6 and my grilles. Didn't come off and I was 2 inches away.
Same here. I dabbed the curb a little and just reapplied. Rim was perfect. So when I trade the car in, ill rip off all the plasti dip and say here, looks like new.
syas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
redclement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by syas07 View Post
I used plasti dip on mine and those worked great. I've hit a curb or two and it just scraped the paint off, wheels were fine tho so just painted them again. Check my pictures.
I do this sometimes.
redclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by syas07

I painted mine when I bought the car 6 months ago. One wheel bubbled up a month ago, I peeled it away (5-10 minutes) and reapplied. Looks better then before. If it starts to peel, just reapply. Cheaper then $1,500 for now.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------



Same here. I dabbed the curb a little and just reapplied. Rim was perfect. So when I trade the car in, ill rip off all the plasti dip and say here, looks like new.
I would ask if the rims gave it more value and if not then I would peel it off in front of them like witchcraft. It's a pain to get the edges of the premium and base wheel. I still have to apply more to them
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
you guys didn't invite me
I painted my wheels black.... and red.
they turned out pretty well.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
you guys didn't invite me
I painted my wheels black.... and red.
they turned out pretty well.
They turned out great on your car. Fits the red very nicely.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Thanks :p

I wrote a very bad guide on painting wheels ;p
You hould check it out
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
brywolf90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to brywolf90
where could i get plastic dip or something like that to paint my wheels?
__________________
Brywolf
brywolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
I painted mine, I got the paint from autozone
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
I will take a look at your write up. I still haven't decided if this is something I really want to do but I am considering it.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
brywolf90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to brywolf90
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I painted mine, I got the paint from autozone
nice will look for it
__________________
Brywolf
brywolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:53 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.