anyone know where to buy exhaust flange's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
anyone know where to buy exhaust flange's?

Im thinking about doing a muffler delete on my 2012 mustang but I dont want to pay $300 for some pipe with a chrome tip on it. I was thinking that I could have a local muffler shop make me an axel back but I dont want them welding it in either. So, Im after exhaust flanges and clamps. If anyone knows where to find these please share...thanks

slow ride, take it easy
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
IMO I would take the piece off the stock exhaust and start from there. Yes you have to cut them off and you have to weld the cup looking flange back on in case you want to revert to stock. I think I'm talking about the right piece here. The piece that clamps to where the end of the axle over pipe is. Have you took the stock mufflers off? If not yet do so and drive around for a day to see how it'll sound. Just my .02 man. I'm in the same boat as far as saving money.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea brother, you know exactly what I am talking about here... I thought about cutting the originals off but In a product video I saw on American Muscle they mentioned that the OEM clamps were spot welded in place. I thought that this might have been something that ford did to prevent people from cutting off this piece and re-useing it. Have you taken off your stock axel back exhaust? Did you see any sign of this welded clamp or is it something that can be pop'd off?

Im thinking that I will take mine off for a day like suggested just to see if I like it or not but in the long run I am still going to be looking for these flanges because Im not trying to cut up my OEM exhaust unless I absolutely have to. At the end of the day I should probably just go to a muffler shop and get a quote to see if there is any real money saved. If its going to cost 200 just for the pipe and say 30 or 40 for the flanges and clamps then another 40 for chrome tips were not really going to save any money this way... Im sure there are allot of us facing this decision, hopefully we can come up with something...

thanks for the input, keep the ideas coming...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The exhaust shop around me said he would do it for like $100 for pipe and tips. Then again he is all I've used for my cars except this one and that's probably why it is cheap for me. I never broke a weld like a lot of people have said. I just took a rachet to it and with some struggle by myself they came off. Mine were just clamped in and the real pain was getting them out of the hangers.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I have taken off my axle backs for a weekend. My iPhone is messing up so I'm typing another response lol. Anyway, they drone the loudest at 2k rpm. And the throttle response many complain about was almost gone from mine. It sounds like a nasty nascar at idle and above 3k rpm, good luck talking. The pipes bounce around and I found this out on Alabama's crappy interstate roadways. So if you do go this route I suggest securing them also around the mid pipe somehow.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If it's really that loud Im going to get a ticket within a week for sure... i live in city limits lol.... still, im going to give it a try. I have some exhaust wrap left over from doing the pipes on my bike so I'll see if I can find a way to secure the mid pipe temporarily.

thanks for the input
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I live out in the country and the city is about 10 miles away. And the cops know my car. But anything under 2k you will barely hear so if you see em just get off the throttle. I just put mine back on from the headaches I got from going 80. I didn't run a pipe to mine though. Just let it dangle. Exhaust wrap would have been a good idea for me at the time.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It shouldn't be that hard, when you cut the pipe, just cut really close, because you don't want retarded looking tips like mine
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
It shouldn't be that hard, when you cut the pipe, just cut really close, because you don't want retarded looking tips like mine
Hehe one is out of wack. Don't cut too close. Then you won't have enough metal to reeled and work with.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Don't make it to far or your tailpipe will point downward
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like experience talking to me... I will think everything out before I start cutting stuff up, thanks for the warning.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Haha hell to the yes

Just make sure you get it right
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Summit racing or jegs would have that stuff
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I sent a e-mail to summit a day ago about it, got a response saying that they are looking into it. I didnt think of Jegs but that would be a good place to look as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

summit just sent me this like asking if this would fit my needs...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su.../model/mustang

It looks like it has the same flange for the clamp as the axel backs you see but the description says it has a 3" outside diameter. Anyone know what the diameter of our stock exhaust pipe is?

If someone is going to look be sure to measure the diameter of the pipe it's self, not he exhaust tip.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

From memory I think it is 3 inch on the 5.0 liter. At smallest it is 2.5 inch but that's what I had on my 02. The tips are 4 inch and if you look on American muscle, they have bolt on exhaust and should say wether it is 3 or 2.5. I'm not just blowing you off If it sounds like it. I'm on an iPhone and it won't do it.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

no worries brother...
I did some digging and I came up with the V6 stock exhaust diameter is 2.25" and the stock GT Exhaust has a 2.75" diameter.... so, in short. No, these will not fit. Back to the drawing board hahaha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust