Best and brightest headlights without going HID - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012

I think if it's ok to illegally have lights that blind an oncoming driver then the oncoming driver should be ok illegally shooting out the headlights of the offender.
Lol +1
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #72
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Other than splashing a bunch of bright blue light everywhere, I've never understood HID's in a headlight without the correct projection headlight housing, such as the 2013's and up. In cars without projection type housings, all the HID's do as provide a splash pattern of light that is less than a stock bulb. Because it looks bright standing in front of the headlight, folks think it's great (HID's). Go with the silverstars if you want better lighting. Be aware that they burn out faster though then the conventional light bulb.

Install HID's only if you change out the headlight housings to projection type. Otherwise, all you get is blue light that is bright, but does not project well on the road with the incorrect stock headlight housings in pre 2013 Mustangs. Just as smart as tinting your headlights....you loose night time visability, but hey, it's cool....I guess.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
Other than splashing a bunch of bright blue light everywhere, I've never understood HID's in a headlight without the correct projection headlight housing, such as the 2013's and up. In cars without projection type housings, all the HID's do as provide a splash pattern of light that is less than a stock bulb. Because it looks bright standing in front of the headlight, folks think it's great (HID's). Go with the silverstars if you want better lighting. Be aware that they burn out faster though then the conventional light bulb.

Install HID's only if you change out the headlight housings to projection type. Otherwise, all you get is blue light that is bright, but does not project well on the road with the incorrect stock headlight housings in pre 2013 Mustangs. Just as smart as tinting your headlights....you loose night time visability, but hey, it's cool....I guess.
Yeah I hate gettin blinded by them.
I have the projectors that I posted a pic of. But I'm running the lights that were in the OEM housings in my new raxiom projector housings from AM. I'm just looking for the best and brightest functioning light I can put in without doing HIDs. I refuse to go to HIDs.
I ordered the H9s last night from AM. I'll see how those work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Install HID's only if you change out the headlight housings to projection type. Otherwise, all you get is blue light that is bright, but does not project well on the road with the incorrect stock headlight housings in pre 2013 Mustangs. Just as smart as tinting your headlights....you loose night time visability, but hey, it's cool....
I respect your view on the HIDs and if you have projector housing, it would probably be better. I plan on doing 5k HIDs in my headlights and fogs including clear turn signals with switchback LEDs and oracle halos in the headlights and fogs. I think the 5k isn't too blue. it's called "Pure White", even though it's not pure white, I think it's what I'd personally like.

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #75
Admin

Supporter
Admin

That should not be so bad. Just be aware that HID's are designed to work in projector type housings. So many folks loved the Audi/BMW look of the HID's and had to have them in their car. The aftermarket boomed with these kits. Now there are so many of these on the road. Install them for looks if that's what your after, but don't install them and expect to get any better night time visability in stock, non projector housings, which I think was the original posters question on how to obtain better night time lighting.

Its all good. That's what makes this car hobby enjoyable for everyone; we can all do what we want with our vehicles and talk about it.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That should not be so bad. Just be aware that HID's are designed to work in projector type housings. So many folks loved the Audi/BMW look of the HID's and had to have them in their car. The aftermarket boomed with these kits. Now there are so many of these on the road. Install them for looks if that's what your after, but don't install them and expect to get any better night time visability in stock, non projector housings, which I think was the original posters question on how to obtain better night time lighting.

Its all good. That's what makes this car hobby enjoyable for everyone; we can all do what we want with our vehicles and talk about it.
+100. the look is what I really want. I've seen them on YouTube (mustang 10-12) headlights with 5k HIDs and some halos. they looked great to me. I don't ever do much nighttime driving. I'm excited to see what it'll really look like

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So since I have the ccfl projector halo housings from AM, if the h9s don't work, I can always have my arm twisted to put in HIDs without having any heat/melting issues? Or scattered light?
I'd rather not clutter my engine bay with extra ballasts and wiring, which is why I wanna go with the standard lighting
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350

So since I have the ccfl projector halo housings from AM, if the h9s don't work, I can always have my arm twisted to put in HIDs without having any heat/melting issues? Or scattered light?
I'd rather not clutter my engine bay with extra ballasts and wiring, which is why I wanna go with the standard lighting
don't quote me on this, because I don't know that much about headlights an HIDs. BUT I've talked to a few guys and they say your headlight housings definitely won't melt. or at least your stock housings. people say if you buy some pre installed HIDs with a cheap housing then it will melt and malfunction.

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I'll stick with the h9s if they work. Don't wanna have to replace housings and be out another $250 + additional install

Better safe than sorry and out more $
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks. I'll stick with the h9s if they work. Don't wanna have to replace housings and be out another $250 + additional install

Better safe than sorry and out more $
those are words to live by my friend lol. and yeah my local shop said it would be 1600 for everything done. people say it's a ripoff but I guess I'll find out

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r

those are words to live by my friend lol. and yeah my local shop said it would be 1600 for everything done. people say it's a ripoff but I guess I'll find out
Holy crap. I paid $250 install price to have my heads, fogs and front lip spoiled put on
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #82
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I don't think the HID's or their bulbs create a heat issue that would melt your housings; at least I've never read anything on the forums that I suscribe to mention this.

I had them on my 2005 F150 a few years back. I drove several trips from Dallas Texas to Orlando Florida with them, and the light was worse at night over using the stock headlights. I got stopped at around 2:00 AM in Dallas (return trip) by the police, informing me that my right headlight was out. I got out of the truck, and the headlight was working! The officer said it was out when I passed him. I banged on the light, and it went out. Next day after a good sleep, I removed the light bulb, checked it's fittings, checked the ballast connector, and all looked great.
Kept doing the same thing, so after three times of failing, off they came, and went to a set of Silverstar ultras. What a huge difference in better night time driving!!!

I read up on the HID's and found that they need to be in projection type housings to work properly as far as the light pattern goes. As to my problem, I think I had a bad ballast, but never had it exchanged, since I was after better lighting in the first place.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think the HID's or their bulbs create a heat issue that would melt your housings; at least I've never read anything on the forums that I suscribe to mention this.

I had them on my 2005 F150 a few years back. I drove several trips from Dallas Texas to Orlando Florida with them, and the light was worse at night over using the stock headlights. I got stopped at around 2:00 AM in Dallas (return trip) by the police, informing me that my right headlight was out. I got out of the truck, and the headlight was working! The officer said it was out when I passed him. I banged on the light, and it went out. Next day after a good sleep, I removed the light bulb, checked it's fittings, checked the ballast connector, and all looked great.
Kept doing the same thing, so after three times of failing, off they came, and went to a set of Silverstar ultras. What a huge difference in better night time driving!!!

I read up on the HID's and found that they need to be in projection type housings to work properly as far as the light pattern goes. As to my problem, I think I had a bad ballast, but never had it exchanged, since I was after better lighting in the first place.
Oh wow. I guess it goes back to 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Holy crap. I paid $250 install price to have my heads, fogs and front lip spoiled put on
lol dang. yeah this is for the HID setup in the heads and fogs, and for the oracle halo color switch in the heads and fogs, and for the switchback led turn signals and clear turn signals. i don't think it's too bad since I've gotten a quote on the halos alone for 1000. that would leave the hid setup to cost around 500 so not too bad

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Damn that's ALOT of stuff lol
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn that's ALOT of stuff lol
lol yessir I hope it'll look good

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r

lol yessir I hope it'll look good
I'm sure it'll add a completely different look.
I was quite pleased with how mine turned out. I went all smoked light around the car
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm sure it'll add a completely different look.
I was quite pleased with how mine turned out. I went all smoked light around the car
I plan to do that at some point

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1610769483.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	77950

Not bright at all. First time driving at night since te install 2 weeks ago.
Had to use fogs cause they are so dim
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

The light output on the Raxioms suck. I don't know how you can stand it without hids.

If you put 35w hids in you will have no problem with melting. It is the 55w that have this problem.

I have been running hids in mine for 6 months with no problems.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

I ordered the H9s from AM last night. They were 50% off fr $19.99. So I'll try those out when they get here. If they don't work then......
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Cyclon37 said he had hids in his raxioms and said they were really bright!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Well see what happens Wednesday.

I didn't realize it. But Oreilleys has the raxioms H bulbs. If I woulda known that, I woulda just gone there and had them in already to check out how well they work. Guess I'll just have to wait and see now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang