Best and brightest headlights without going HID - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Best and brightest headlights without going HID

Im about to black out my headlights but am worried about night time driving, not to mention all the rain we get here in Florida... can anyone recomend a make/model headlight that would be plenty bright even with the tint? I dont care as much about the color temp of the light and looking like HID as much as I do function... tho, it would be cool.

The reason I dont want to go HID is because I dont want to fuss with installing a ballast and all that, it has nothing to do with the lights being "to bright" or "to blue"

Thanks in advance....

slow ride, take it easy
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
Im about to black out my headlights but am worried about night time driving, not to mention all the rain we get here in Florida... can anyone recomend a make/model headlight that would be plenty bright even with the tint? I dont care as much about the color temp of the light and looking like HID as much as I do function... tho, it would be cool.

The reason I dont want to go HID is because I dont want to fuss with installing a ballast and all that, it has nothing to do with the lights being "to bright" or "to blue"

Thanks in advance....

slow ride, take it easy
Trust me an hid installation is no hassle and takes no expertise whatsoever I guarantee you
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

Trust me an hid installation is no hassle and takes no expertise whatsoever I guarantee you
^ +1

Its also a great opportunity to call up a friend and have a few cokes and work on the the stang haha
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Im sure it is an easy install and Im pretty handy anyways but I really don't see a need to drop two or three hundred on a HID kit....if there is a good one for a reasonable price I would be more interested but I still think I can accomplish my goal without going HID.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
H13 is going to be your bulb type I believe and the price for the best I've seen is made by silver star and they are around 70 a pair. Me personally wouldn't want to deal with shipping an breaking bulbs so whatever you may find that is better I would go to the store and personally get them. That's just me being paranoid of someone breaking my bulbs.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Im sure it is an easy install and Im pretty handy anyways but I really don't see a need to drop two or three hundred on a HID kit....if there is a good one for a reasonable price I would be more interested but I still think I can accomplish my goal without going HID.
Hmm yeah I see where your coming from, but look at Sonic Electronix I got mine for like 145 heads and fogs
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Hmm yeah I see where your coming from, but look at Sonic Electronix I got mine for like 145 heads and fogs
$145 is reasonable, I will take a look at them and see if its something that fits me. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
H13 is going to be your bulb type I believe and the price for the best I've seen is made by silver star and they are around 70 a pair. Me personally wouldn't want to deal with shipping an breaking bulbs so whatever you may find that is better I would go to the store and personally get them. That's just me being paranoid of someone breaking my bulbs.

Im with ya on this one man. I dont see a real need to buy them online since there are plenty of auto parts stores around and paying for shipping on something like lights seems silly. Ill take a look online and see what model I should get then I will post up my findings for input.

Thank you all.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

$145 is reasonable, I will take a look at them and see if its something that fits me. Thanks for the input.

Im with ya on this one man. I dont see a real need to buy them online since there are plenty of auto parts stores around and paying for shipping on something like lights seems silly. Ill take a look online and see what model I should get then I will post up my findings for input.

Thank you all.
No problem and SonicEletronix takes great care in shipping. They came very well packaged. You won't be able to find HIDSsin autoparts stores
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I Put silver stars in my wife's car they are brighter than my hids . Just don't look as cool to me lol. But like everyone said ,don't let the hid kit bother u . Once u get the kit it you will see how easy they are to install . And my kit was cheap . 60 bucks off eBay .
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Stay legal.
Silverstar ultra
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991

I Put silver stars in my wife's car they are brighter than my hids . Just don't look as cool to me lol. But like everyone said ,don't let the hid kit bother u . Once u get the kit it you will see how easy they are to install . And my kit was cheap . 60 bucks off eBay .
+1. The brightest halogens I've seen are silver star ultras. Very cheap on eBay. But HIDs just look cool as hell and are wayyy brighter
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I have silver star ZXE's, and they were a great improvement over the stock bulbs.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I hear that the brighter Halogen bulbs have a very short lifespan. Anyone have any experience with having to change them out pretty often?
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
I hear that the brighter Halogen bulbs have a very short lifespan. Anyone have any experience with having to change them out pretty often?
This is true. It even shows about 1/4 lifespan on the box. I've had them in my 99 for about 3 years tho...
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9stang

+1. The brightest halogens I've seen are silver star ultras. Very cheap on eBay. But HIDs just look cool as hell and are wayyy brighter
I love HIDs!! Favorite design on any car
Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991

Got the damn daytime running lights. My car will not run an HID or foglights. Silver star was the bran I think I looked at. The ultimate or highest color temp they make is what I want. Just don't know how drl will affect the life
Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

I've been running the silverstars in all my cars since 2004, only had 1 bulb burn out in that entire time. My 30 minute drive to work every morning is in the dark so I run mine for at least 30 minutes a day year round.
Our's:
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

^ +1

Its also a great opportunity to call up a friend and have a few cokes and work on the the stang haha
Haha true that!!

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote:

Thank you all.
Plus from the looks of it you don't have fog lights do you can throw some hids in there from sonic for like $70-$65 they have the best quality around
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

And no matter what your friend says, don't let him talk you into removing the front bumper haha

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

Haha true that!!

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Plus from the looks of it you don't have fog lights do you can throw some hids in there from sonic for like $70-$65 they have the best quality around
^Yeah!! I've been very pleased I just forget to turn them on
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Im going to go snag some Silverstar ultra's from the shop down the street from me. I called yesterday and they had them in stock so It's an easy solution. Ill have them for a few days before I get my blackout's in the mail so I will do a before and after comparison for those who are interested.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You should never put HIDs in a halogen housing. It will scatter the light like crazy and blind oncoming drivers at night, which is obviously very dangerous. If you want HIDs do it the proper way and get projectors.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post

[/COLOR]

You are correct, I dont have fog's yet. I bought the car about a week ago so I haven't done much other than tint yet.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Got the damn daytime running lights. My car will not run an HID or foglights. Silver star was the bran I think I looked at. The ultimate or highest color temp they make is what I want. Just don't know how drl will affect the life
You can use HIDs even if you have daytime running lights. You just need to get a relay harness for the HIDs. I know this because I ran into the same issue because I have daytime running lights as well.
Gmullinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmullinix

You can use HIDs even if you have daytime running lights. You just need to get a relay harness for the HIDs. I know this because I ran into the same issue because I have daytime running lights as well.
You, may be my best friend right now. Not to jack the thread, but how did you do this and where did you get it. Will the hid always be on? Or will it shut off like a normal headlight.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The lights stay on as your day times but don't strobe any at all. And I work at an audio shop and I just got one we had in stock. You should be able to find one on the Internet. But the harness has to be ground and hooked into your battery and then it will have a plug in for your passenger side head light and it will give them the constant power they need to stay on. You can probably just find one online somewhere. They're only like 20$ I want to say.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I want a lights off, lights on option. Are the HIDs blinding to others in the daytime though?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want a lights off, lights on option. Are the HIDs blinding to others in the daytime though?
No, only at night. Unless you have projector headlights. I would not put HIDs in a halogen housing, it scatters light and blinds other drivers you share the road with.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

He's right. They're blinding at night but you could resolve that by tinting your headlights with about 35% or so. That way you would still maintain visibility and not blind people. Also, you could just cut the wire for your daytime lights and just cap them off and then the head lights would only come on when you clicked them on.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
He's right. They're blinding at night but you could resolve that by tinting your headlights with about 35% or so. That way you would still maintain visibility and not blind people. Also, you could just cut the wire for your daytime lights and just cap them off and then the head lights would only come on when you clicked them on.
Sure, hide one illegal mod with another...
Our's:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

And if you would like to do it the LEGAL way then get new headlights that have HID projectors. Just make sure that the new headlights are DOT approved.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
I run 6k HIDs behind a set of smoked lights I picked up at AM. Before I would get bright lighted all the time. I have yet to be bright lighted since the install a couple of months ago.
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
In my opinion your best bet is to get a nice set of bulbs like every one is saying and instead of tinting your head lights buy new headlight with a black housing looks good and is all legal
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

That's pretty much the exact set up that I run. 6K HIDs except I used tint film instead of buying new housing. Mainly because I didn't have the money for the new housings.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

An alternative that you can get that gives about the same color temp are super blues halogen replacement bulbs. They're only like 25$ and they're completely legal. The color temp is around 6500K
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Quote:
That's pretty much the exact set up that I run. 6K HIDs except I used tint film instead of buying new housing. Mainly because I didn't have the money for the new housings.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

An alternative that you can get that gives about the same color temp are super blues halogen replacement bulbs. They're only like 25$ and they're completely legal. The color temp is around 6500K
Those bulbs are NOTHING like HIDs in the means of light output. The color is similar though.
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I know. But you get a nice color temp and you get to stay legal. But me personally I'd rather have the HIDs and tinted headlights.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang