Performance parts combination? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Performance parts combination?

I just got my 2011 Mustang V6 and these are the parts I want to get for it.

Is this a good combination of performance parts or should I make some changes in the list?

Airaid Cold Air Intake (11-13 V6)
BBK 73mm Throttle Body (11-13 V6)
Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer (11-13 V6)
Ford Racing 3.73 Gears (11-13 V6)
Eaton Limited Slip Differential - 31 Spline 8.8in (86-13 V8; 11-13 V6)
BBK Chrome Long Tube Headers (11-13 V6)
SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Tuner (96-11 All)
(i dont know about the tune tho if the right one)
fordmustangv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmustangv6 View Post
if those are the best part for my car
Ok, now I will move and rename your thread so you can get the answers you seek.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
i have a 2011 and i can say the airaid cai is very good. and made my motor and borla axle back ataks sound even better. if you want loud and best performance then you should get the borla long tube headers with the off road x pipe. instead of the bbk. and the 3.73 gears is the best way to go not to low or high. as far as the other stuff im not sure
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
According to Airaid, their throttle body spacer doesn't fit when used in conjunction with their CAI.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
According to Airaid, their throttle body spacer doesn't fit when used in conjunction with their CAI.
I have them together, the intake box has to be cut around the mounting part to fit properly! But I love the sound it gives my engine! Also, I have BBK Long Tubes, catted Xpipe (high flow cats), 2011 5.0 resonators and then Roush Axlebacks and my exhaust sounds deeper and louder then most 5.0's with full exhaust! My friend has the Borla LT Headers and his isn't nearly as good sounding as my car. Ur buying the brand name, just because they are rated best does not mean they are the best! Every company makes something better than others. But it's a matter of opinion...
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
If I remember right a bigger throttle body will only really see gains with forced induction, from another thread it sounds like its pretty much generally accepted that a throttle body spacers are just a nice paper weight, no real gains there, all 2011 and up mustangs already have limited slip diffs (Eaton might be a better though, idk). And finally long tube headers will raise the power band so you will have less low end torque, but the gears should off set that some, also depending on the exhaust set up it can be very loud and raspy, plus if u have to pass emissions you won't have cats anymore which will equal fail.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Is this a good combination of performance parts or should I make some changes in the list?

Unless there is a big difference between the 4.0 and the 3.7 the throttle body spacer is just something to lighten your wallet. I have not seen any independent testing that says they do anything worth the cost.

And you already have the limited slip - that is just the tlok that already is installed in your car.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Unless there is a big difference between the 4.0 and the 3.7 the throttle body spacer is just something to lighten your wallet. I have not seen any independent testing that says they do anything worth the cost.

And you already have the limited slip - that is just the tlok that already is installed in your car.
The 4.0 and 3.7 are very different engines. One was used in mustangs since like 97 (3.8) and this one pumps out more hp and is overall a different style engine (twin interval- variable cam timing) I wanted the spacer but if your going with a drop in filter I would buy it, otherwise get the cold air intake.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

The 4.0 and 3.7 are very different engines. One was used in mustangs since like 97 (3.8) and this one pumps out more hp and is overall a different style engine (twin interval- variable cam timing) I wanted the spacer but if your going with a drop in filter I would buy it, otherwise get the cold air intake.
94-98 was single port 3.8
99-04 was split port 3.8
05-10 was 4.0
11- is 3.7
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

This 3.7 really makes power! I had a 4.0 and the 3.7 is much faster!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You have to think that the throttle body spacer for the 3.7 is going to be the diameter of the factory throttle body. Therefore, the Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer combined with the BBK 73mm Throttle Body is not something you want to do. It wont hurt your car but it will eliminate any gain you would have seen from the BBK 73mm Throttle Body. As far as the TB or TB spacer being worth the $, thats up to you... I would wait to do the TB/spacer last as they wont give you huge gains anyways. Airaid Cold Air Intake is a good choice, 3.73 Gears are good but you might want to look into how gearing really works, things like wheel size play a factor here.... The Eaton Limited Slip Differential is not a bad idea but you might consider going with an aluminum drive shaft instead if you plan on going over 120mph (factory shaft is not rated for higher speeds). Headers are a personal preference and also have to do with you overall goal, If you want the deeper sound and higher top speed/torque then long tube, the shorties will still have an aggressive sound as well and you would see more low end performance improvements. Honestly, I have herd good things about the factory headers so Im keeping mine stock, but maybe im just a dummy. You should really consider giving an axel back system a try if your after a more sporty sound, there are plenty of choices and examples online for you to choose from and some of them will give you slight HP gains. As far as tuners go, there is one choice that everyone seems to be going with.... The Bama Tune from American Muscle. You can get an Airaid CAI and Bama tuner as a package and save a good chunk of change AND Bama is offering FREE CUSTOM TUNES FOR LIFE when you buy from american muscle, its easily the best deal around. see the link for more details.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...uner-11v6.html

good luck!
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmustangv6

IMHO, I don't think the throttle body spacer works with a larger throttle body, and the LSD doesn't seem worth it, as the car comes with a pretty darn good one. If you had an older model an wnted a 8.8in rear end then I'd do it, but it just doesn't seem worth it. Also, don't forget a matching mid pipe with your headers.
3 things I'd add to the list
1 A new muffler (have some fun)
2 Suspension upgrades (dramatically change the way the car dives!!!!!)
3 if you're a speed junkie, then get a driveshaft and safety loop for safety reasons. And if its manual then upgrade your flywheel

Also, I know you said performance, but brighten up your exterior and interior, it'll change it from a good looking car to straight up eye candy.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

94-98 was single port 3.8
99-04 was split port 3.8
05-10 was 4.0
11- is 3.7
I know 99-04 and the 11-12 engines mainly. Nothing really more just the liters. You taught me something. Thanks man
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

I have them together, the intake box has to be cut around the mounting part to fit properly! But I love the sound it gives my engine! Also, I have BBK Long Tubes, catted Xpipe (high flow cats), 2011 5.0 resonators and then Roush Axlebacks and my exhaust sounds deeper and louder then most 5.0's with full exhaust! My friend has the Borla LT Headers and his isn't nearly as good sounding as my car. Ur buying the brand name, just because they are rated best does not mean they are the best! Every company makes something better than others. But it's a matter of opinion...
Got any videos ? I'd like to hear your set up . I got the CAI and Roush AB. But the headers and cats I'd like to hear.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991

Got any videos ? I'd like to hear your set up . I got the CAI and Roush AB. But the headers and cats I'd like to hear.
This is before I got the resonators welded in, ill try and upload another video with the resonators

Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Sounds good man. Did the resonators make much of a difference?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Granted the 4.0 and 3.7 are very different

BUT

how does moving the throttle body on a drive by wire fuel injected engine give you a performance boost? It isn't like a carburetor where the spacer actually changes the length of the runner for the air/fuel mixture.

Like someone else said - putting a coaster under your beer bottle doesn't give you more beer, or change the taste, or change the flow out of the bottle. It just moves the bottle up higher.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
Sounds good man. Did the resonators make much of a difference?
When I would really press on the gas my car sounded ridiculously loud! Too much rasp! So with the resonators it took off a lot of the rasp and high pitch noise so now it's a a lot deeper! But just as loud! So it sounds amazing!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Granted the 4.0 and 3.7 are very different

BUT

how does moving the throttle body on a drive by wire fuel injected engine give you a performance boost? It isn't like a carburetor where the spacer actually changes the length of the runner for the air/fuel mixture.

Like someone else said - putting a coaster under your beer bottle doesn't give you more beer, or change the taste, or change the flow out of the bottle. It just moves the bottle up higher.
The TB spacers for the 3.7 serves a different purpose here then on the 4.0's.
The TB spacer for a 3.7 is made to make air flow more turbulent as it enters the engine, most makers claim that this produces more HP. A number of us here are not so quick to agree or think the gain is so small it is not noticed, either way it's all personal preference.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx

The TB spacer for a 3.7 is made to make air flow more turbulent as it enters the engine, most makers claim that this produces more HP. A number of us here are not so quick to agree or think the gain is so small it is not noticed, either way it's all personal preference.
It's one of those mods that work better with other mods
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Which is the same as a CAI, it works better in conjunction with other mods
Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This all sounds like what my buddy with the 350Z was explaining to me. It was more of a science to get the air to make a vortex and to push the air in. Not sure if he was crazy or actually onto something. They are two different engines. When I opened my hood I was expecting a similar 3.8. Boy was a wrong.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
Which is the same as a CAI, it works better in conjunction with other mods
Well to me it's either cai or the tb, and other stuff to go along with the stock air box.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Whitelightning;1365961]This all sounds like what my buddy with the 350Z was explaining to me. It was more of a science to get the air to make a vortex and to push the air in. Not sure if he was crazy or actually onto something. They are two different engines. When I opened my hood I was expecting a similar 3.8. Boy was a wrong.[COLOR="Silver"]

You buddy sounds like he has a good idea of what is going on here.... Take a 2 liter bottle, fill it with water then with the cap off spin it and turn it upside down. the spinning movement of the water has created a vortex that allows the water to exit the bottle faster than if you had just turned it upside down. You have all seen this before. This is the same principal behind the TB spacer. The spacer is supposed to spin the air creating a vortex effect which would then technically create vacuum and increase airflow. However, with the TB spacer placed at the TB there is almost no time or space for said vortex to form nor would I let someone convince me that the air inside an intake manifold is calm enough to be spun into said vortex....

If you cant tell, I'm a non believer but to each his own. Take the information for what it is worth and make your own decision...

Im not sure if they are made for the 2011+ but a company called weapon R did this correctly not to long ago. They used a specially designed CAI... do some research if your interested, I had one on my old cobalt, it worked slightly better than a regular CAI.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If it were in the intake it would be better according to him and it follows what you said. Since the spacer is right in the manifold and throttle body it's basically like having the cai sound minus benefits from the cai. I would assume.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
If it were in the intake it would be better according to him and it follows what you said. Since the spacer is right in the manifold and throttle body it's basically like having the cai sound minus benefits from the cai. I would assume.
If you had a device that spun the air near the filter the air would be more likely to spin and create a vortex. There are such devices on the market, they were big when gas prices first shot up years ago. You don't hear about them that often any more, maybe there is a reason for that. Regardless, your talking about HP gains so small that your not going to notice them. All in all, your time is better spent researching gear ratio's lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:

If you had a device that spun the air near the filter the air would be more likely to spin and create a vortex. There are such devices on the market, they were big when gas prices first shot up years ago. You don't hear about them that often any more, maybe there is a reason for that. Regardless, your talking about HP gains so small that your not going to notice them. All in all, your time is better spent researching gear ratio's lol.
Because they did no good before the tb. Tb negates any of that.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm more of a street machine in a budget build. Ive got power. Just want the mpg too and it's really difficult to get mods that do both. I can lose some mpg since I usually get 30-34 but most of my driving is highway so no real fun on the low end.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Some years ago I did some research on vortex or intake air spinning devices.What I found was that for the most part they make little to no difference.
The exception was in how they were placed.

If properly placed before a bend in the intake pipe they can improve the airflow around that bend by swirling the air and helping it navigate the bend more smoothly than just letting it crash into the corner and be forced around it. Anyways, even that didn't make enough difference for them to be viable as a performance or mileage improvement.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Some years ago I did some research on vortex or intake air spinning devices.What I found was that for the most part they make little to no difference.
The exception was in how they were placed.

If properly placed before a bend in the intake pipe they can improve the airflow around that bend by swirling the air and helping it navigate the bend more smoothly than just letting it crash into the corner and be forced around it. Anyways, even that didn't make enough difference for them to be viable as a performance or mileage improvement.
Either way air has to get shoved in there. It's also a nice conversation piece.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

go on test subject
but when you get one, you have to tell me if it's worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang