Skip Shift in Automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Skip Shift in Automatic

I'm confused about the comments I've read regarding the automatics skipping gears. Like skipping 2nd and 3rd at low rpms. My 2012 doesnt do this. It shifts through all 6 gears regardless of rpm.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
I'm confused about the comments I've read regarding the automatics skipping gears. Like skipping 2nd and 3rd at low rpms. My 2012 doesnt do this. It shifts through all 6 gears regardless of rpm.
Not sure about the newer fords,,but we have a whole fleet of of 05 06 rangers,,they skip 2nd when driving normal for gas mileage ,,and when you go moderate or wide open it changes all 5 gears..2nd gear is PCM commanded..I thought it was a problem when i first seen it one a scanner,,but thats the way it works..But my mustang is the same family tranny and it always changes all gears,,they prob use that in your non performance fords IMO but not positive
Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Problaby from people rowing through 123 trying to act like its a manual, f'ed up their cars...lol
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

Problaby from people rowing through 123 trying to act like its a manual, f'ed up their cars...lol
See I dont understand the negativity towards shifting this way either. Even shifting 123D it does it without a clutch and doesnt skip a gear. If the only choice I had was a tranny made in China I wouldnt have bought a Mustang. There should be no reason that someone shouldnt use all the available options with an automatic tranny. Besides from what I understand the 11/12 manuals do skip a gear. If people wanted a manual to tell them how to shift and not let them roll backwards they should have gotten an automatic.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Skip shift is on the manual, not automatic. It forces a shift to a different gear and won't let you hit the next gear for MPG purposes.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Skip shift is on the manual, not automatic. It forces a shift to a different gear and won't let you hit the next gear for MPG purposes.
Thanks Jim. That's what I understand as well but have been reading this statement on other threads " The V6 automatic transmission has a skip shift in the software that automatically skips 2nd and 3rd gear! "
Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012

Thanks Jim. That's what I understand as well but have been reading this statement on other threads " The V6 automatic transmission has a skip shift in the software that automatically skips 2nd and 3rd gear! "
That sounds completely mixed around.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

See I dont understand the negativity towards shifting this way either. Even shifting 123D it does it without a clutch and doesnt skip a gear. If the only choice I had was a tranny made in China I wouldnt have bought a Mustang. There should be no reason that someone shouldnt use all the available options with an automatic tranny. Besides from what I understand the 11/12 manuals do skip a gear. If people wanted a manual to tell them how to shift and not let them roll backwards they should have gotten an automatic.
The Getrag MT-82 was designed in Germany and made in China (like everything else now a days). I don't know why this stops people from getting a manual. I couldn't imagine having an automatic sports car. In my opinion that's sacrilege.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang

The Getrag MT-82 was designed in Germany and made in China (like everything else now a days). I don't know why this stops people from getting a manual. I couldn't imagine having an automatic sports car. In my opinion that's sacrilege.
+1

Chinese standard > other auto
Ya'll racist

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

+1

Chinese standard > other auto
Ya'll racist
Just as I see it sacrelidge to have an American Pony Car with parts made in China I suppose. Mustangs are not truly Sports Cars in the truest sense of the term any ways. And many muscle cars have had automatics. I wonder if you have an 8 track in your Mustang or Sync with Sirius?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just as I see it sacrelidge to have an American Pony Car with parts made in China I suppose. Mustangs are not truly Sports Cars in the truest sense of the term any ways. And many muscle cars have had automatics. I wonder if you have an 8 track in your Mustang or Sync with Sirius?
THis is going SO off topic. My comment was just me being foolish. I don't know ANYTHING about automatic transmissions or what skip shift even is. I ALMOST did not buy the mustang because of the made in china transmission. But I refused to buy an auto, I would have just went and bought something else.

I hate apple products, but im sure someone who disses on the getrag mt-82 uses an iphone and THOSE are made in china. Yet their users speak of them like they are the best made thing on earth.

The Chrysler 300, dodge charger and challenger are made in canada yet they use the "imported from detroit slogan" and camaro guys find every way to diss our american muscle and their cars are made here in canada too.

I'm currently reading "American Icon", a book about Ford's battle through the recession, it teaches us that no company is surviving as a one country entity anymore. Big corporations are Global operations now.

Regardless isn't 40% of the mustang non-american?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think it has a cd player. I only use the radio, sometimes mp3 player.

For a straight line, go auto. Otherwise, I would a always suggest a standard, unless it was for drag only. Who cares? I mean other than jobs not in the US. It works. Who cares? I would rather have something working from China than garbage falling apart from some other country. If it works, it works.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

THis is going SO off topic. My comment was just me being foolish. I don't know ANYTHING about automatic transmissions or what skip shift even is. I ALMOST did not buy the mustang because of the made in china transmission. But I refused to buy an auto, I would have just went and bought something else.

I hate apple products, but im sure someone who disses on the getrag mt-82 uses an iphone and THOSE are made in china. Yet their users speak of them like they are the best made thing on earth.

The Chrysler 300, dodge charger and challenger are made in canada yet they use the "imported from detroit slogan" and camaro guys find every way to diss our american muscle and their cars are made here in canada too.

I'm currently reading "American Icon", a book about Ford's battle through the recession, it teaches us that no company is surviving as a one country entity anymore. Big corporations are Global operations now.

This. This man should be in politics or a civil engineer or something. I've dealt with ignorance all day and this is the first bit of knowledge I've seen in 11 hours. Anyway you look at it to me, a mustang is a mustang. I've driven both and I prefer a manual but in my situation, I got the automatic. Either way I think the autos have it because I only count 3-4 shifts sometimes and I can kinda tell when it wants to play flipper flopper on which gear to be in.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

This. This man should be in politics or a civil engineer or something. I've dealt with ignorance all day and this is the first bit of knowledge I've seen in 11 hours. Anyway you look at it to me, a mustang is a mustang. I've driven both and I prefer a manual but in my situation, I got the automatic. Either way I think the autos have it because I only count 3-4 shifts sometimes and I can kinda tell when it wants to play flipper flopper on which gear to be in.
Thanks for bringing it back to my topic which really had nothing to do with ego about wether one style tranny is better than another. Besides isnt Canada part of America? Ive driven manuals most my life and if I chose to shift my auto I will do so. Now on topic this is what Im asking. You say your auto skips shifts mine doesnt granted it shift to 4th by 35mph then 5th at 40 and 6th at 50 with 3:31 gears. So could you maybe not be going fast enogh for 5/6. Its just confusing when a thread says something different than what one experiences.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No offense and I wasnt really dissing the manual tranny. Just making a point that its not sacrelidge to have an auto. Ive had a 65 Mustang with an automatic as well as manual. Both were great. Do you have any idea what parts are non American? North American?
Or does that need to be bumped to another thread? Btw im typing this on an ipod and I play Chinese made guitars but I know that when I buy them. The Mustang sticker does not speak of any foreign parts. My daughters Fiesta did.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for bringing it back to my topic which really had nothing to do with ego about wether one style tranny is better than another. Besides isnt Canada part of America? Ive driven manuals most my life and if I chose to shift my auto I will do so. Now on topic this is what Im asking. You say your auto skips shifts mine doesnt granted it shift to 4th by 35mph then 5th at 40 and 6th at 50 with 3:31 gears. So could you maybe not be going fast enogh for 5/6. Its just confusing when a thread says something different than what one experiences.
That's what I'm not sure about. I've shifter mine manually just to see what happens. Now my 2nd and 3rdkick more while the others are so smooth. You can only tell by the tack dropping. I have 2.73 gears. I have a messed up auto
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

America is a set of continents, really. North, south, and central America. Countries make up the continent. United State OF America is in North America. Mexico can be considered North America, Canada is.

But I have not noticed the standard skipping gears at all, but I am either in 6th by 30 mph or am still in 1 lol, not too much mid range for me.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

That's what I'm not sure about. I've shifter mine manually just to see what happens. Now my 2nd and 3rdkick more while the others are so smooth. You can only tell by the tack dropping. I have 2.73 gears. I have a messed up auto
You may want to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery. But ive read there is a fuse you can pull instead. You can also reset your throttle response by turning on your key push the pedal to the floor slowly and release it slowly. Turn off the key and then start your car.

I bet your tranny is fine.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You may want to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery. But ive read there is a fuse you can pull instead. You can also reset your throttle response by turning on your key push the pedal to the floor slowly and release it slowly. Turn off the key and then start your car.

I bet your tranny is fine.
Fuse 47. It's not the fuse or computer. They just kick more when I got the car used and it was a rental. So Lord knows what the idiots did to it before me.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

I tried easy acceleration a couple of times today. No skip shift. Went through all the gears up through 6 when I hit 45/50 mph. The only skip shift I have heard of is on the manual where it forces a shift to a higher gear rather than the next one. So like someone else said, if your automatic is doing a "skip shift" you probably aren't getting up to speed for the 5 and 6 shift.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I tried easy acceleration a couple of times today. No skip shift. Went through all the gears up through 6 when I hit 45/50 mph. The only skip shift I have heard of is on the manual where it forces a shift to a higher gear rather than the next one. So like someone else said, if your automatic is doing a "skip shift" you probably aren't getting up to speed for the 5 and 6 shift.
I go 55-60 on most roads but I usually watch my tach since all but 2 gears are smooth. I'm still not understanding the manual tranny having skip shift. That's just sounds stupid to me since you have to physically row through the gears and have complete control of the car.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post

The skip shift on the auto on the ranger were for fuel mileage,,people really dont noticed it unless your counting the shifts or see it on a scanner
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The mustang auto doesnt have it on my year anyway,,but we have about 25 05 rangers that shift from 1,3,4,5,..When you accelerate moderate or heavy they shift through all gears,,Second gear solenoid is grounded seperate by the PCM when needed ..Its a gas mileage thing..Personally ive never heard that about the manuals..Now all our rangers are 4 bangers ,,so dont know if the v6s are like that..It doesnt skip 5,6,,it skips 2
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

It says assembled in America. Big difference from made in America. It's hard to find any thing that is made 100% in America.
13Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I go 55-60 on most roads but I usually watch my tach since all but 2 gears are smooth. I'm still not understanding the manual tranny having skip shift. That's just sounds stupid to me since you have to physically row through the gears and have complete control of the car.
Skip shift locks out the gear - can't put in and it forces the stick over to the next gear. So not complete control.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Skip shift locks out the gear - can't put in and it forces the stick over to the next gear. So not complete control.
Huh,,learn something every day
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's so stupid in my opinion. Every manual I drove you could throw it in the gear and such. That would freak me out if I drove it.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Does it totally lock it out, or does it just make it difficult?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

My understanding (I don't have the stick shift) is that it forces the shift through the gate to the next gear. You can't get it into gear. The Corvette owners (C5 I think) complained about the same thing, all done for MPG purposes.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My understanding (I don't have the stick shift) is that it forces the shift through the gate to the next gear. You can't get it into gear. The Corvette owners (C5 I think) complained about the same thing, all done for MPG purposes.
I've never felt this. the only lockout I've ever felt was trying to go into 1st when you are still moving (which shouldnt really be done) otherwise I've never been limited. I'm very careful with my shifting though I don't try to force anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang