Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Exhaust

Hey everyone,

I want to get a nicer sound from my exhaust. I went to American muscle to buy an exhaust and they have so much selection I got confused! What is the difference between catback,

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Axle back, h and x pipes. Which one will give me the best deep growl sound?
Thank you,
Will
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Buy the flowmaster force ii. I have it and love it.
Bighebs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
here's a quick break down for you op...

Axleback- the mufflers are after the axles and are at the rear bumper (stock style setup)

Catback- the mufflers are now before the axles after the cats

x pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold come together in an x design

h pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold just have a pipe in the center connecting them (literally looks like and H)

prochamber- another midpipe to consider...it's kinda a mix of an x, an h, and a single chamber muffler lol (my personal favorite)

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
here's a quick break down for you op...

Axleback- the mufflers are after the axles and are at the rear bumper (stock style setup)

Catback- the mufflers are now before the axles after the cats

x pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold come together in an x design

h pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold just have a pipe in the center connecting them (literally looks like and H)

prochamber- another midpipe to consider...it's kinda a mix of an x, an h, and a single chamber muffler lol (my personal favorite)
In a cat back, the muffler is not becwthe axle...
Cat back is the same as axle back except the tubing from the cats to the axle is also included, which generally be a larger diameter than your stock tubing. You can gain some horsepower with cat back exhaust if you have a tune to account for it, but an axle back will basically just give you the exhaust note.
Personally I say cat back is the way to go. Problem is thet xost a little more and your options are greatly reduced

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAP12589

In a cat back, the muffler is not becwthe axle...
Cat back is the same as axle back except the tubing from the cats to the axle is also included, which generally be a larger diameter than your stock tubing. You can gain some horsepower with cat back exhaust if you have a tune to account for it, but an axle back will basically just give you the exhaust note.
Personally I say cat back is the way to go. Problem is thet xost a little more and your options are greatly reduced
* becwthe = before *
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If your just after a nice exhaust note then all you really need is an axel back setup. You should still see a small HP gain since your new mufflers will be high flow, it wont be as large as a cat back so weather it is worth the extra dough all depends on what your after. Use the search function on here and read thru some of the axel back and cat back reviews and you will see that the decision is very much a personal one. if your lucky like me there might just be a mustang club around you, go to a meet and ask for some opinions, you will have people revving engines to show you there exhaust in no time.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Borlas all the way.. There's no comparisons .. Deepest and best sound ever.
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
Hey everyone,

I want to get a nicer sound from my exhaust. I went to American muscle to buy an exhaust and they have so much selection I got confused! What is the difference between catback,

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Axle back, h and x pipes. Which one will give me the best deep growl sound?
Thank you,
Will

Mustang240,

These guys have definitely pointed you in the right direction and explained what each exhaust is!

This is going to be a very opinionated question because everyone likes a different tone. Do you like the deep growl? Raspy? Extremely Loud? etc...

We can definitely give you some suggestions once we know what you're after!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13
Borlas all the way.. There's no comparisons .. Deepest and best sound ever.
+2 , and the quality cannot be beat!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

Mustang240,

These guys have definitely pointed you in the right direction and explained what each exhaust is!

This is going to be a very opinionated question because everyone likes a different tone. Do you like the deep growl? Raspy? Extremely Loud? etc...

We can definitely give you some suggestions once we know what you're after!

-Dan
Hey Dan, I was planning to buy the exhaust from American muscle. I wanted a deep growl tone, I like the flowmaster force II. I also see that some people have headers and catback a on their car. What does that do? If I am changing the exhaust if rather do it all at once.
It would highly appreciated if you can tell me what parts I will need.

Thank you in advance,
Will
Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240

Hey Dan, I was planning to buy the exhaust from American muscle. I wanted a deep growl tone, I like the flowmaster force II. I also see that some people have headers and catback a on their car. What does that do? If I am changing the exhaust if rather do it all at once.

Thank you in advance,
Will
I think I may be able to help a bit.

I installed BBK Long Tube Headers, Catted X-Pipe, 5.0 Resonators, and Roush Axlebacks.

The long tube headers all both the same Borla and BBK ur just paying for the brand name. They increase the exhaust manifolds diameter and the tubing is a larger diameter so you get much better airflow, which gives you better performance and MPG.
The X-Pipe is best for performance and sound, unlike the H-Pipe the X-Pipe gives you a raspy sound. Uncatted means there is no catylitic converters so you get most air flow but will not pass emissions tests. The catted one has high flow catts so basically it's the same but more expensive so I would choose that xpipe.
The resonators are optional but if u want a deep growl find some! They take off the high pitch noise and rasp from the exhaust tone to make it really deep n loud.
The Axlebacks are all optional on you. But I chose the Roush ones because I've had magnaflows, flowmasters, ford racing, and my Roush ones. The reason why I picked Roush is the other mufflers make a weird rattling knows at high RPMs and it sounds stupid. My Roush ones don't.

I love my setup and it's loud as hell but not raspy and annoying its DEEP! If you would like I could upload a video? I already have one without my resonators installed and I can make a new one with the resonators installed.

Hope I could have helped you in your selection and questions.

Ps. Get a bamma tuner from AM you will need one for best performance and MPG for the headers and all!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang

Yea wow i missed that.. Quality . Thanx
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you very very much. Can you please send me a link to that video I would love to hear its sound.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post

Thank you in advance,
Will
Mustang240,

I'm glad to hear you were planning on ordering your exhaust with us! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

I would recommend doing it all at once as well. Mainly because if you do Long Tube headers you'll need a shorty mid pipe. If you don't you'll need a full length mid pipe! As far as brand goes like listed above, that's up to you.

I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what you're after once you hear a few sound clips! Check out You Tube for some different sound clips and let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mustang240,

I'm glad to hear you were planning on ordering your exhaust with us! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

I would recommend doing it all at once as well. Mainly because if you do Long Tube headers you'll need a shorty mid pipe. If you don't you'll need a full length mid pipe! As far as brand goes like listed above, that's up to you.

I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what you're after once you hear a few sound clips! Check out You Tube for some different sound clips and let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
I would order more from AM if u guys would not kill me with shipping charges. U would think if am spending a grand on parts u would cover the cost or partial cost
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I agree the shipping charges to Canada need to come down if possible.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig
I agree the shipping charges to Canada need to come down if possible.
+2
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post
I would order more from AM if u guys would not kill me with shipping charges. U would think if am spending a grand on parts u would cover the cost or partial cost
monkey13,

Thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely look into this and see what I can do for you, however I don't have much say in the shipping charge to Canada.

The reason its expensive (depending on the weight of the item) is because of duty/border fees. We have no control over those charges and UPS automatically accounts for those charges when we give you a quote! So basically we cover all chargers from our facility to your door, no hidden fees.

I hope this helps.

-Dan
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ya shipping to Canada is very expensive. Anyways thank you everyone who helped me out. I have decided to go with the borla atak axleback. Any cons to this exhaust? Can I hear my music while I'm driving or is it too loud?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya shipping to Canada is very expensive. Anyways thank you everyone who helped me out. I have decided to go with the borla atak axleback. Any cons to this exhaust? Can I hear my music while I'm driving or is it too loud?

Thanks
Great choice ..u won't regret it. No cons imo and as far as music u will hear every song clear unless your wot..

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote:

monkey13,

Thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely look into this and see what I can do for you, however I don't have much say in the shipping charge to Canada.

The reason its expensive (depending on the weight of the item) is because of duty/border fees. We have no control over those charges and UPS automatically accounts for those charges when we give you a quote! So basically we cover all chargers from our facility to your door, no hidden fees.

I hope this helps.

-Dan
Definitely a solid answer i appreciate the feedback. I just wish there was a way yo split the cost if i spend a certain amount
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Tints finally done.. 20% all around .. What u guys think??

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121107_190047.png
Views:	187
Size:	584.9 KB
ID:	75153

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121107_190108.png
Views:	199
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	75154
Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks awesome!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike

Looks awesome!
+1 thnx bro
Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Question for you,what exactly does this mean? "Windows on either side of the driver must let in at least 70% of light when measured with a photometer" that's what my local law states so does that mean I can go 30% which would be even darker then your awesome looking tints ? Sorry for the newbie question. : )
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Question for you,what exactly does this mean? "Windows on either side of the driver must let in at least 70% of light when measured with a photometer" that's what my local law states so does that mean I can go 30% which would be even darker then your awesome looking tints ? Sorry for the newbie question. : )
Lol first thnx, second no they are not darker than mine and third yes that means 30% which is what am really legally allowed to have. The lower the percentage the darker the tint. Meaning am a few shades off limo tint which is 5%
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighebs10 View Post
Buy the flowmaster force ii. I have it and love it.
me too.

What are you looking for? Loud as hell? Deep only when you get on the gas? Somewhere in between?
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol first thnx, second no they are not darker than mine and third yes that means 30% which is what am really legally allowed to have. The lower the percentage the darker the tint. Meaning am a few shades off limo tint which is 5%
Cool Thx, I like that shade, dark but not to dark! Just a little worried about the fine up here! Not sure how strict the cops are.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

+3 on the Borla's! All late. Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool Thx, I like that shade, dark but not to dark! Just a little worried about the fine up here! Not sure how strict the cops are.
Just drive most of the time windows down.. That's Wat i do. Depends on how strict cops are
Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your car is beautiful man. The tint completes the car IMO.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Your car is beautiful man. The tint completes the car IMO.
Thanx. Am missing the louvers and nxt yr foose wheels.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I ran into another problem, I'm such a noob :p so i see am has borla atak as an axleback and as a catback sigh!! I was told the cat back gives more performance but what about the sound is it the same?
Also if I install an axleback will I be able to add headers and a catback later on for performance or would it be a waste of money buying the axleback.
Thank you in advance.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

If it says 70% then that's as dark as you can go 30% is backwards with 30% tint only 30% of light comes through much less than 70%
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I ran into another problem, I'm such a noob :p so i see am has borla atak as an axleback and as a catback sigh!! I was told the cat back gives more performance but what about the sound is it the same?
Also if I install an axleback will I be able to add headers and a catback later on for performance or would it be a waste of money buying the axleback.
Thank you in advance.
Honestly just go with the Axlebacks! You can get the Headers, xpipe later if you go with just the catback or Axlebacks so ur good man. Order what you choose. But I would go with just the Axlebacks that's what I did. Then I added headers and xpipe
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

Honestly just go with the Axlebacks! You can get the Headers, xpipe later if you go with just the catback or Axlebacks so ur good man. Order what you choose. But I would go with just the Axlebacks that's what I did. Then I added headers and xpipe
Ok thanks man, I'm just buying those axlebacks they sound awesome!!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Yea go with axle back. That's what i got. Anything on a v6 sounds way too loud and annoying imo. Unless your pushing more power

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust