Transmission Coolers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

TheStig is unknown around these parts
Transmission Coolers?

In the next 3 weeks or so i will be driving across Canada again and putting 4500km's on my car in 3 days. When i drove out in my g/f's impala the crazy hills on northern Ontario laid havoc on the transmission. I was wondering if any of you guys have come across a tranny cooler for the 2013 stang? Anyone attempted this yet? I know they work because i come from a family of cops and they use them on all there squad cars which run sometimes for 4,5 days straight.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

pwrby4d is unknown around these parts
Well, You have one stoc.k (automatic I am assuming here) The trans cooler is mounted in front of the radiator from the factory. But if you want to upgrade you could go bigger. You could also add a second one with a fan on it and mount it in the back of the car (where there the the floor is set in for the spare. The fan would be mounted to push air through to cool it. Or you could mount a fan to the front of the stock cooler... Or get the PA Performance deep tranny pan. It holds more fluid and has a heat sink built in to aid in cooling as well.

Any of the 3 would aid in cooling or you could go and do all three - Mount a small electric fan to the stock cooler, rear cooler with fan and the PA performance pan.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

UltArc is unknown around these parts
They make them stock on the Boss. I have seen them on AM, bolt ons that pull air from under the car to cool it.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Here you go pal

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-t...op-1113gt.html

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Whitelightning is unknown around these parts
The stigs drives two feet and three pedals. Just correcting.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

All very good ideas thanks. But I have a manual and it seems a little harder to find them for manual. Am I just being paranoid? My car will be fully loaded and driving for 15 hours straight per day. 3 days in a row in harsh conditions.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig
All very good ideas thanks. But I have a manual and it seems a little harder to find them for manual. Am I just being paranoid? My car will be fully loaded and driving for 15 hours straight per day. 3 days in a row in harsh conditions.
That is for the standards...not for autos...
I do not think you will need it, unless you contemplate a ridiculous amount of shifting. They ONLY put it on the Boss LS. The air under he car cools it, so if you were doing 15 hours of almost constant shifting at high rpms, I would suggest it. For a road trip, it seems not needed. If you are really worried about it, that link has the AM part you are requesting.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

NewMtang is unknown around these parts
Don't Need it.

You will be driving in the winter. What harsh conditions? The cold and snow?

Your not worried about overheating? Keep it on the speed limit and you should be fine.

It's a Mustang, how loaded is it going to be? Take your girlfriends car and put the miles on her car, not yours.
Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The snow isn't a problem no, it's the roads and hills. The trans Canada is very up and down, with fairly steep grades. On the way out her impala was in great shape but the tranny was dying after a day of the hills, the gears were slippin and it was shifting like an angry beast. By the half point it was leaking tranny fluid. As soon as I got here I traded the heap in for the new mustang. Most ppl that make this trip agree its hard on the tranny.

I am aware it's not necessary I'm just paranoid and like peace of mind. Thanks for the tips though guys! Gobama!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
The moral majority is neither
Admin

bucko is just getting started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Well, You have one stoc.k (automatic I am assuming here) The trans cooler is mounted in front of the radiator from the factory. But if you want to upgrade you could go bigger. You could also add a second one with a fan on it and mount it in the back of the car (where there the the floor is set in for the spare. The fan would be mounted to push air through to cool it. Or you could mount a fan to the front of the stock cooler... Or get the PA Performance deep tranny pan. It holds more fluid and has a heat sink built in to aid in cooling as well.

Any of the 3 would aid in cooling or you could go and do all three - Mount a small electric fan to the stock cooler, rear cooler with fan and the PA performance pan.
A stock automatic transmission cooler is on our Mustangs? I'll need to check my 2011, as I figured it only had the cooler that's built into the engine coolant radiator. I just reached the 30K mark (mileage), and had my automatic transmission fluid flushed. Ford's recommended maintenance does not call for a replacement of the automatic fluid until it reaches 150K if memory serves me, as they state its "lifetime" fluid. That does not sit well with me. Since I plan to hold onto this Mustang for a long time, I will flush the tranny fluid (automatic), every 30K.

I need to look into that external trans cooler; I'm a big fan of adding those as well, since the number one failure of an automatic transmission is heat. Keeping the fluid cool is always a good idea.

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
A stock automatic transmission cooler is on our Mustangs? I'll need to check my 2011, as I figured it only had the cooler that's built into the engine coolant radiator. I just reached the 30K mark (mileage), and had my automatic transmission fluid flushed. Ford's recommended maintenance does not call for a replacement of the automatic fluid until it reaches 150K if memory serves me, as they state its "lifetime" fluid. That does not sit well with me. Since I plan to hold onto this Mustang for a long time, I will flush the tranny fluid (automatic), every 30K.

I need to look into that external trans cooler; I'm a big fan of adding those as well, since the number one failure of an automatic transmission is heat. Keeping the fluid cool is always a good idea.
In the fifth post he tells he has a standard, not an auto.

I would first get a engine readout device, scanguage or ultraguage, but if you are worried, the Boss and Leguna Seca use that posted transmission cooler, so if they are good with it, I imagine it would work well for your goals. Not sure about autos, I do not think the LS comes in auto, not sure about Bosses.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
The moral majority is neither
Admin

bucko is just getting started.
Interesting that a standard would have a transmission cooler, but not an auto...go figure. I can understand the Boss having one, but I did not realize it was for a transmission. I've seen the engine oil cooler for the Boss/GT, I always figured I could install it on the V6; just modify the radiator hose the oil adapter connects to. Keeping engine oil cool also helps for engine longentivity. Have one on my F150, but it uses a small transmission cooler in front of the radiator, and not a coolant hose to cool the oil.

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang