Window louvers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

NicholasP is unknown around these parts
How well do the window louvers stay on from American muscle with the adhesive it comes with? I just don't want them to fall off while im driving around haha

Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

2300turboford is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
How well do the window louvers stay on from American muscle with the adhesive it comes with? I just don't want them to fall off while im driving around haha
Can u use 3m double sodded tape

Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

the_stig is unknown around these parts
Mine came with adhesion promoter and 3m double sided tape. They both feel nice and tight still since june but one side at the bottom feels a little loose but i think its because i repositioned the tape before applying. My car is a garage queen though i barely wash it and it rarely sees rain, that probably would affect it alot more. Those eleanor style ones look like theyd fly off...a big scoop with no where for the air to go. Those are my fav though visually. I got mine because they were on sale for $90 painted.

'12 V6 Premium Kona Blue 6MT
Toronto, Canada
http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/15925646
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

alrefire is unknown around these parts
mine wouldn't stay on...
we tried 4 different types of window epoxy.
I think I might have gotten a defective louver though, but anyways. I'm returning it.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

are you talking about rear louvers or quarter window louvers?
my quarter window louvers have stayed on at 120, those, i know for a fact won't fall off
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

cheelyb09 is unknown around these parts
Do you have to remove your window for side louvers.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

dgrum04 is unknown around these parts
I've been doing some research in this topic actually and I've been reading that some people are finding great results with a 3m industrial velcro. They claim that it sticks great and then you can remove the louver when wanting to clean the window. Now, I don't know if I'll go this route, but the 3m double sided auto tape works great and that's what I'm probably going to do.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

AMDanBailer is just getting started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
NicholasP,

Our window louvers come ready to go with pre installed 3M double sided adhesive. This makes for an easy install and prevents any possible issues of incorrect installation! All you have to do is make sure the surface is very clean and then apply the louvers.

We haven't had any issues with them falling off. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Whitelightning is unknown around these parts
Do these things just stick on or is there a hinge anywhere? The hinge would be cool like the 70 Mach 1
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Do these things just stick on or is there a hinge anywhere? The hinge would be cool like the 70 Mach 1
Whitelightning,

Both the Rear and Side Window Louvers are held on my 3M double sided tape. The Rear louvers come with a few clips to help from rattling etc... But unfortunately there isn't any hinges to release it!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
Old 11-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Whitelightning is unknown around these parts
There is a plastic and aluminum model from what i see. Would the aluminum be better since it weighs more? Just going on assumptions. 3-400 is pricey for it but I say it's worth it if you got the spare change for an appearance mod
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
There is a plastic and aluminum model from what i see. Would the aluminum be better since it weighs more? Just going on assumptions. 3-400 is pricey for it but I say it's worth it if you got the spare change for an appearance mod
Correct, those are the two materials the rear louvers are made from. I think the OP is talking about the quarter window louvers, but I agree with what you said.

They're a great appearance mod and both look great. If you have some extra cash for them, they look great!

-Dan
Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

NicholasP is unknown around these parts
The only thing with paying like $350 for AM's rear window louver is i dont know if it will stay down well with all the problems with bowing up people are having
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

wheelman is unknown around these parts
3M double sided tape will absolutely keep side louvers on at high speeds as long as you apply them with a freshly cleaned surface. Dont half-ass it. They cost too much.
Dont bother with plastic rear louvers as theyre all garbage. You want powder coated aluminum. Im partial to MRTs.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

rebeltx is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
3M double sided tape will absolutely keep side louvers on at high speeds as long as you apply them with a freshly cleaned surface. Dont half-ass it. They cost too much.
^^^+1^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Can u use 3m double sodded tape
Yes. 3M Automotive Double Sided tape

Quote:
Are you talking about making your rear quarter window into a "pop open" window? I remember seeing a kit to do that somewhere online, it wasn't cheap but it would be sweet. If you did that kit plus the louver you would would be able to achieve the a similar concept. It wouldn't really be like the 70's mach 1 but you would be able to open the window/louver .
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

wheelman is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
Are you talking about making your rear quarter window into a "pop open" window? I remember seeing a kit to do that somewhere online, it wasn't cheap but it would be sweet. If you did that kit plus the louver you would would be able to achieve the a similar concept. It wouldn't really be like the 70's mach 1 but you would be able to open the window/louver .
Yeah Im considering the pop-outs, but cant find louvers that stick to the window only, not the body, which would eliminate the need for a hinge I think.

Id love to have combined in-glass louvers with the pop-out kit but thatd be a ton of ching for quarter windows so cant justify trying it yet.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Rcary is unknown around these parts
I bought extra adhesive promoter when I put mine on cause I didn't feel like AM sent enough to apply to the louver. Other then that no problems at all with em.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

rebeltx is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Yeah Im considering the pop-outs, but cant find louvers that stick to the window only, not the body, which would eliminate the need for a hinge I think.

Id love to have combined in-glass louvers with the pop-out kit but thatd be a ton of ching for quarter windows so cant justify trying it yet.
That would be sweet but pricey as you said. Im not real familiar with the louver design but could you cut the center out of it and mount it as 2 pieces? I see it as being a pop open window/louver but when closed it would look like a regular louver. It wouldn't be easy but if done properly it could be sweet.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Tytus is unknown around these parts
I'm curious as to what i am doing wrong, I have tried 3 times now and they keep peeling off. I do have the classic quarter louvers that go directly on the side window, not the body of the car. I live in texas so its fairly humid all the time.

I also bought the blackout tint peice and applied that first.

Story goes as follows:

First time I put them on with the American Muscle kit the polyheisve primer and tape, well i didnt know the primer dried so quick and the tape was week, they began to peel and this was mid day. Though i did clean with windex and then use the alcohol pads.

After they peeled i went and bought the 3M double sided tape from Autozone and stripped and clean them with goo off and then used windex and 99% rubbing alcohol again. Scrubbed all the old residuel off the window and the louver, which wasnt easy. This was applied at 8pm, so it was much cooler this time, though still humid, its always humid here.

Now there coming off again, pealing away from the louver peice, not the window side. This is what happened before. I applied the alcohol to the louver side but the tape is not seeming to grasp the louver side well. there is a gap and every time i look in my mirror im constantly obsessing that they are gonna fall off.

I then repeated the entire process for step 2 again, this time cleaning and what not and applying the 2nd have of the 3m double sided tape to the louver first in the house and letting it rest over night applying hard pressure to make sure it sticks. Then the next day i applied to the window (or rather the matte blackout tint) once again in the evening after cleaing with 99% alcohol. The louver is peeling away from the tape again.

I really like the look of these but this install is a pain in the ass. I am curious as to what im doing wrong. The louvers did seemed warped outboard a little bit the second time and i tried to carefully bow them inward but that has not helped. These things keep peeling off. what do i do?

I am consider getting 3M velcro and trying that next, but it takes longer to scrub all the old 3m tape off than to do the install. I have out like 5 man hours of install and reinstall x2 into these damn louvers now and they keep peeling off?

Has anyone had issues with the blackout effecting them? The slight (very slight but its there bowing out), humid? cleaning them poorly (which i doubt as im halfway down my rubbing alcohol bottle. Thoughts on the velcro? has anyone tried this?

consdiering this stuff here at 3m
http://www.itapestore.com/velcroand1...kfastener.aspx

Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Gtzzoom is unknown around these parts
mine have been on since installed since june 2012...no sign of coming unglued

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

tytus....try the loctite adheasive...walmart

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

ironsurvivor is unknown around these parts
You can get the pop out ones, but they are not cheap
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Jayjay is unknown around these parts
Your window louvers are molded right to your stang, when placed on your car are there any gaps that you need to put pressure to eliminate a gap, if you are putting pressure on specific parts so it could be place correctly then when the pressure is been taken off little by little it's going to unglue.

In other words the covers should fit perfectly with no pressure in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Junior21gtz is unknown around these parts
I am having the same issue
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
The moral majority is neither
Admin

bucko is just getting started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post
Do you have to remove your window for side louvers.
There is only one style that I'm aware of that requires the removal of the rear quarter glass to install their louvers. They of course are significantly more in cost, but the louver fits flush with the side of the body.

All other louvers use the 3m type adhesive, and are not flush with the side body. They are not removable for cleaning the side windows as well.

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang