Sport mode - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Ok, so what is ESC, what is TSC, and what do they do exactly
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
As far as I know, I dont believe anyone would risk overwriting Fords safety systems. Why would you want to completely disable? Not very hard to push the button.
just wondering if theres a way to disable it, since i will be doing spirited driving every second of the day lol
back to the question how do i know what mode of steering im in if i dont have the lcd between the gauges ?
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
just wondering if theres a way to disable it, since i will be doing spirited driving every second of the day lol
back to the question how do i know what mode of steering im in if i dont have the lcd between the gauges ?
I don't think you can adjust it. I think it might only be a premium option. But I don't know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
Ok, so what is ESC, what is TSC, and what do they do exactly
ESC is stability control,
TCS is traction control
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ESC is stability control,
TCS is traction control
Ok, So I know traction control basically keeps the rear tires from spinning, but what does stability control do
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think you can adjust it. I think it might only be a premium option. But I don't know for sure.
For me the sport mode came with the Brembo package, I dont have a premium GT, I only have the 300A option, which is base GT, only options I have are Brembo and Recaro seats, and Automatic.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Another question. So on this if you hit the button twice, and hit the breaks, it puts it in sport mode, (which lowers advance trac sensitivity) Does it also do this if I shift into sport mode on a automatic, which also increases gear shifting times? (Does that make sense)
Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, So I know traction control basically keeps the rear tires from spinning, but what does stability control do
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you can, its a standard feature on all 13 mustang.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Another question. So on this if you hit the button twice, and hit the breaks, it puts it in sport mode, (which lowers advance trac sensitivity) Does it also do this if I shift into sport mode on a automatic, which also increases gear shifting times? (Does that make sense)
The sport mode shifting on automatic is to manually shift the transmission, it will not shift til you depress the + button on shifter, the driver controls the shifting, and it will hold the gear without upshifting on its own like some other cars do. I use it for enahncing the exhaust note on deceleration, or acceleration, other than that it's worthless, because it's reaction is so slow, Ford needs to improve the programming for it's transmissions, there is too much delay between the button depression and the actual shift taking the command. The tuner will improve the shifting exponentially, compared to stock tune.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

When using the sport mode TCS it will default the steering to Sport mode.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
The steering mode shows under the tach gage, by pressing the setup button the pressing the reset button to choose between the different modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The sport mode shifting on automatic is to manually shift the transmission, it will not shift til you depress the + button on shifter, the driver controls the shifting, and it will hold the gear without upshifting on its own like some other cars do. I use it for enahncing the exhaust note on deceleration, or acceleration, other than that it's worthless, because it's reaction is so slow, Ford needs to improve the programming for it's transmissions, there is too much delay between the button depression and the actual shift taking the command. The tuner will improve the shifting exponentially, compared to stock tune.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

When using the sport mode TCS it will default the steering to Sport mode.
No, thats not true for sport mode. In sport mode, you can shift manually, but if you don't, then all it does is increase shift times, so it revs a bit higher before shifting, increasing acceleration. I was curious if doing this lowers advance track as well.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
When is sport mode how should you shift with foot on gas or off ?
Mustang32Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
No, thats not true for sport mode. In sport mode, you can shift manually, but if you don't, then all it does is increase shift times, so it revs a bit higher before shifting, increasing acceleration. I was curious if doing this lowers advance track as well.
That might be the case with your V6, but on the GT, I can hold it til it bumps the rev limiter, not sure how it works on a V6. On my car I can hold it indefinitely, til the rev limiter, but again like I said previously, its a worthless option for me, it doesnt do anything for performance because of the delayed signals from the button. I get faster, harder shifts with the tune, and my shifts come at 7000 RPM.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang32Bill View Post
When is sport mode how should you shift with foot on gas or off ?
You can shift manually on the automatic with accelerator fully depressed, there is no pressure plate or clutch, it is still automatic, even when shifting manually.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
That might be the case with your V6, but on the GT, I can hold it til it bumps the rev limiter, not sure how it works on a V6. On my car I can hold it indefinitely, til the rev limiter, but again like I said previously, its a worthless option for me, it doesnt do anything for performance because of the delayed signals from the button. I get faster, harder shifts with the tune, and my shifts come at 7000 RPM.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

You can shift manually on the automatic with accelerator fully depressed, there is no pressure plate or clutch, it is still automatic, even when shifting manually.
Oh ok I was not sure thanks!!!
Mustang32Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you shift into sport mode, it does it like I said, for v6 and GT, but... If you hit the + or - just once, then it switches to manual and then you can hit the rev limiter. Try it, get in your GT, start driving and switch to "S" then don't click anything and keep driving, you will see what I mean. It only switches to manual if you attempt to start shifting it.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

are the select shift really that bad, that it need a tuner?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
If you shift into sport mode, it does it like I said, for v6 and GT, but... If you hit the + or - just once, then it switches to manual and then you can hit the rev limiter. Try it, get in your GT, start driving and switch to "S" then don't click anything and keep driving, you will see what I mean. It only switches to manual if you attempt to start shifting it.

Well, I must admit, I've never tried, it that way, I've never felt a need for it with the tuner loaded, but I will try it out tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, I must admit, I've never tried, it that way, I've never felt a need for it with the tuner loaded, but I will try it out tomorrow.
Yeah, Sport mode basically increases the RPM"s that the auto shifts at. I was curious if switching to this had any affect on Traction control or stability control vs switching the traction and stability manually.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, Sport mode basically increases the RPM"s that the auto shifts at. I was curious if switching to this had any affect on Traction control or stability control vs switching the traction and stability manually.
I am pretty sure they are independent of one another.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am pretty sure they are independent of one another.
K, one last question. (Sry, I ask a lot lol) When switching between Drive (D) and Sport (S) on an automatic, do you have to release the gas or break? Or does it matter?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz

You are correct and its the same for V6 and GT.
If you put it in S and just drive it will shift. Unless you put it in S and then hit the +\- button and shift manualy. Just putting it in S is like grade assist on 11 and 12's. all this is in the owners manual.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

So basically, press traction control button once for a giggle and press then press and hold if you just so happen to have a change of pants in the trunk... Gotcha
Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz

K, one last question. (Sry, I ask a lot lol) When switching between Drive (D) and Sport (S) on an automatic, do you have to release the gas or break? Or does it matter?
Doesn't matter.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #60
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Finally, someone copies information from the owners manual! There's great information in those books folks! If you don't have a copy, you can download a free PDF version from the Ford site...it's free!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
Finally, someone copies information from the owners manual! There's great information in those books folks! If you don't have a copy, you can download a free PDF version from the Ford site...it's free!
I also recommend 2011/12 owners read the 2013 manual regarding S mode as well as the section in their own manual. They are complimentary and the 11/12! is somewhat invomplete on this subject.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
You are correct and its the same for V6 and GT.
If you put it in S and just drive it will shift. Unless you put it in S and then hit the +\- button and shift manualy. Just putting it in S is like grade assist on 11 and 12's. all this is in the owners manual.
sport mode doesn't have anything to do with "hill assist". That is a feature on the manual transmission and designed to hold the car in place on hill when you start.

Sport mode on the automatic is a more aggressive tuning for the transmission.

From "Road and Track" magazine:

Quote:
Of more importance to enthusiasts, the Mustang’s otherwise excellent 6-speed automatic transmission has gained the one thing it needed, SelectShift. Drivers can now select and hold any gear via a switch on the console-mounted shifter.

And while the Mustang’s rpm-averse manual transmission shifter is unchanged, the 3-pedal Mustangs have all gained
Hill Start Assist,
Ford’s 2-second hill-holder.
Completely different things and unrelated to one another.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

sport mode doesn't have anything to do with "hill assist". That is a feature on the manual transmission and designed to hold the car in place on hill when you start.

Sport mode on the automatic is a more aggressive tuning for the transmission.

From "Road and Track" magazine:

Completely different things and unrelated to one another.
JimC
You are completely confusing the matter.
11/12 Automatics have Grade Assist not Hill Assist. H.A. Indeed is on the manual trannys. We're talking automatic.. Reading the two owners manuals the explanation for Grade Assist in 11//12's and S in the 13 without using +\- is nearly identical. Although I did say 11/12 explanation is incomplete so read both of them.
As an example my 12 owners manual says Grade Assist is for going downhills or when you want engine breaking. The picture on the dash shows a car going downhill when its on. Thing is it is also for going up hills. Which IS explained in owners manuals of other Ford Vehicles. Engine breaking like you experience with a manual trans is very useful in around town traffic or keeping the rpms up when wanting to accelerate. Thus Grade Assist can be used in those instances also. Just as it says for S in the 13s.
Hill Assist in the manual tranny is not Grade Assist in the 11/12 automatics. Grade Assist is a more aggressive tuning for the automatic!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang